PDA

View Full Version : Convincing my mom to let me go natural

mrsroyce96
12-30-2011, 01:32 AM
My mom won't let me go natural! I don't know how to convince her except for saying that it'll help my hair get back to the way it used to be, but she still won't let me do it. Any help? Has this ever happened to any of you guys :(

Princess Pamplemousse
12-30-2011, 01:47 AM
How old are you? You may need to just wait until you're grown enough to live on your own and do what you want with your hair or anything else.

This has happened to me in reverse. When I was young I wanted a perm and my parents wouldn't let me get one lol. Told me to wait til I was out of their house. Fortunately, I'd come to my senses by then and no longer wanted one :)

nickib
12-30-2011, 02:11 AM
Depending on your age and your money situation I would definitely advise against disobeying your parents. BUT I would suggest doing LOTS of research and sharing everything you learn with her. Show her how excited you are and all the things you'd like to try. Show her that you want to be responsible for your own hair care. Maybe she will compromise and let you have long transition.

trueimage15
02-18-2012, 01:25 AM
yes, this has happened to me...and my mom is letting me go natural although she doesn't really understand why and feels stressed by it lol ( because of the money needed to braid my hair)
hmm....it took awhile for me to convince her, but basically I just said that I didnt want a perm after the last one I got in July '10
I said that it would be kinda cheaper because getting a 50 dollar monthly perm is way more expensive in the long run
the fact that a friend of hers' daughter, DID seal the deal though
I'm 15 so my mom probably thought this was a "teenage need for change and expression" thing so age does matter:p

also once you go natural all you really need to buy is a great all natural conditioner( i have a 32 ounce one that I got for 12 bux and a leave in conditioner 9 bux, I also have all natural shea butter which can be purchased for about 7 bux for a large tub)

Hope I've helped as well as others, feel free to leave a message on any questions you may have:D

DuhMahRuh
11-13-2012, 09:00 PM
If it was up to my mom, I would never have gotten a perm! But my aunt who I visited in GA for the summers took me to get my first perm. I don't regret it most of the times because I've never had my hair damaged but sometimes I look at people with huge afros and think "That could be me!"

I think the best thing to do is what nickib says! Do research! Share the information with your mom. Watch YouTube videos together and stuff like that! My mom has locks and I show her pictures from various forums and now she styles her locks! You never know!

truthfunk
07-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Haters gonna hate

uzuri
02-09-2014, 10:27 PM
I have always been impressed by younglings like you who go natural. I wish I had done so at such an early age, but I had no clue as to how to take care of my long hair then, so it was hot combed until I was able to curly perm it. Thought I couldnĀ“t manage it without it being straight, and no one told me any different. What made you want to go natural?