PDA

View Full Version : Gardening Season is Here...

empowered
01-11-2012, 09:18 PM
...at least for those of use who only grow in the spring and summer. I have been waiting for this since early December when my last spinach plant was harvested. I have been like a fiend, visiting garden sites, reading blogs, ordering plants and seeds . My hubby is more thrilled than I, especially knowing how much money we saved last year on our vegetable garden. Right now, I am preparing the arrival of new veggie seeds which include broccoli, carrots, spinach, turnips, beets, and cucumbers just to name a few. Those will actually be planted as soon as they arrive since they are cold weather crops. All the others like: tomatoes, potatoes, peas, blueberries, beans, peppers, and many others will be started mid March. Anyone else have the "itch?" What are your plans this up-coming growing season?

Denny
01-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Well my first season as a balcony gardener is hit and miss. Some of the plants died, the ones left are spider plant, dragon plant (both need repotting), rosemary is thriving, lavender doing ok, coriander on it last legs, curry plant looks fine, pepper plant dying, mint plant mmm, all the others dead dead dead (aubergine, squash, cucumber, plus some others). I wanted to grow spuds but never got round to it.

empowered
01-12-2012, 05:29 PM
^^Don't worry, you can always start over. My ichiban didn't do too well and I blame that on the bugs. I was able to get only one eggplant from it. I will be trying again this year. Good luck!

ChandraNH
01-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Yay! My husband swears I've been looking at the seed catalogs like they are girlie magazines.

I think I'm going to add some new stuff this season as well:
beets
spinach
lettuce
carrots
sweet potatoes
green beans

and lots of my old favorites:
tomatoes
peppers
cantaloupe
oregano (the one I planted last year is still going, right through winter and snow)
basil
mint
pickling cukes

OHR
01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm so glad to see ya'll talmbout gardens and such. I still need to clean mine out from the summertime *dodges tomatoes*

creativity
01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Subscribed! I so need to make sure I start my little garden on time this year. Last year I tried in pots but this time I am gonna be a big girl like yall.

Chandra--What kind of catalogues do you order your seeds?

hunny bunny
01-18-2012, 05:34 PM
I am going to be Old McDonald this year. The hubs, son and I have been juicing ( daughter allergic to some fresh veggies...go figure). So we go thru a butt load of veggies and fruit. But have found a very cheap fruit store NOT IN THE HOOD that gets us thru it.

So I told him the other day we will be in that garden like slaves.

Beets
Sweet potatoes (first time)
celery (first time)
carrots
cucumbers
tomatoes
butternut squash (first time)
spinach
collards
peppers and hopefully some lettuce. Cant do anything about the fruits but hopefully we can survive on our own veggies.

OHR
01-19-2012, 06:31 AM
LOL @ Old McDonald reference.

Boy, you're ambitious!! I grew celery for the second time last summer...had NO idea how easy it was! Do you need a lotta room to grow sweet potatoes? What veggies is your daughter allergic to?

empowered
01-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Yeah! Most of my seeds that I ordered from the Burpee catalog are here. I really like the Burpee seeds. Reading the reviews on their site really helped me in the selection process. I am still waiting on one of the catalogs that I ordered from Fine Gardening.

@hunnybuuny-please keep me up-dated when you start your sweet potatoes.

Root veggies always make me nervous because there is not much that I can do once I get 'em going. I had a bad case of potato bugs last season. Good thing I planted most of my crops in containers. Those bugs were ruthless. I tried putting one tomato plant in-ground and they began attacking my poor plant like nobody's business.

As soon as the weather breaks one of my first tasks will be to transplant the 4 strawberry plants from last year. The roots are over crowded. I was lucky to get 1 runner out of the bunch so, now I have 5 strawberry plants.

chachadiva
01-19-2012, 10:04 PM
For those that shop from TV and online, don't forget to check out QVC's garden center. They sell all types of plants, flowers, roses and bulbs: http://www.qvc.com/cgen/render.aspx/Garden-Center?qp=class|K853&level=2&walk.yah=0101-K853 . They have a lot of videos that show you what the actual plant will look like when mature.

ETA: Still jealous of you with yards. :D

hunny bunny
01-19-2012, 10:30 PM
LOL @ Old McDonald reference.

Boy, you're ambitious!! I grew celery for the second time last summer...had NO idea how easy it was! Do you need a lotta room to grow sweet potatoes? What veggies is your daughter allergic to?

I dont even know how celery grows. Never seen it. I assume it grows like collards? I have to Google it.

Never grew sweet potatoes. Once I do my research I will report back.

My daughter is allergic to uncooked: carrots, celery, apples, peaches, some pears, sometimes bananas, watermelon and cherries. So we have an epi pen and benedryl for just in case moments because she loves the fruits and will eat them sometimes.

Will report back soon.

hunny bunny
01-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Here is my research: I wont be growing sweet potatoes because they will sprawl out into my yard.

Days to germination: Not grown from seed

Days to harvest: 90 to 120 days
Light requirements: Full sun, or partial shade
Water requirements: Consistent watering
Soil: Fertile and well-drained, low nitrogen
Container: Definitely not

Introduction

First of all, sweet potatoes are not the same as yams. In North America, the terms are used interchangeably but they are two very different vegetables from different plants. Most sweet potatoes have orange flesh though there is some varieties that produce yellow or purple potatoes for something unique on the table.

Cooler climates are not well-suited for growing sweet potatoes but they are otherwise easy to grow if you have 4 months of very warm weather. This is one of the reasons that sweet potatoes are a common crop in the southern United State. Some varieties will mature in only 3 months, such as Georgia Jet or Centennial which would do better farther north.

Sweet potatoes are usually cooked, but the raw flesh can be added for an interesting addition to a salad or made into crunchy “chips”. The sweet root vegetable very high in vitamin A, and are also a good source for vitamin C, manganese and copper. You will also get some iron in there too.

Starting from Seed

Gardeners don’t usually start sweet potatoes from seed, but rather from “slips” which are really just pieces of potatoes that have started to sprout. It’s basically the same principle as with using seed potatoes when you grow regular potatoes.

You can start your own slips with store-bought potatoes but they can take up to 6 weeks to develop so most home gardeners buy them ready-to-plant. If you want to give it a try, take a supermarket sweet potato and put it in a jar or glass of water so that the rounded end is under water. You can hold it in place with a few toothpicks stuck into the sides to keep the potato from falling into the glass. Picture an old grade-school science experiment.

It may seem silly, but many gardeners swear by this method. Start about 6 weeks before you are going to put them out. The potato should sprout some slips. You can either separate the sprouts or just plant the whole potato.

Slips should go out in the garden after the soil has started to warm up, about 2 weeks after the last frost. Laying out black plastic can help speed up the warming process. Even though their vines take up a lot of space (see below), you can plant your slips about 2 feet apart.

You plant your slips just like you would a seedling, leaving the leaves above ground level. They may or may not still be attached to a piece of sweet potato. Purchased slips are usually just the sprouted part (no potato attached).

Growing Instructions

Sweet potatoes will vine up to 20 feet and will produce tubers underground all along the length of the vines. As they grow, they root down when they touch the soil and produce a tuber. Then the vines just keep growing. So you can’t grow sweet potatoes on a trellis and you shouldn’t locate your plants where the vines will sprawl outside the garden area (like the lawn).

It also means that you shouldn’t try to move the vines once they’ve grown or you might uproot a potential potato.

You shouldn’t need to fertilize your plants but if you do, use a low-nitrogen mixture or you will end up with leafy vines and no potatoes. Sweet potatoes don’t like to compete so keep the patch well weeded until the vines grow out. The leaves will soon shade out most weed plants.

Too much water can make your larger potatoes split, so watch the calendar and reduce the watering when you get to about 3 weeks before harvest time.

empowered
01-20-2012, 02:32 PM
^^Great information. My daughter loves sweet potatoes and my husband likes to make fries out of them.

Lockolatte
02-20-2012, 02:44 AM
I am ready to start NOW! :D I haven't cleaned out my old stuff either, OHR. At school, the kids' cabbages arrived which gave me the itch. I bought some seeds for spinach, lettuce, carrots, and collards. We will see what happens. I want them to plant some at school and of course I want to do mine at home. It will be my first time for spinach, carrots, and collards. I don't know what else I'll try this year.

OHR
02-20-2012, 06:55 PM
@ Locko: Where you live, you should have NO problem growing collards!

This mild winter has me wondering if I'm gonna have pest issues this summer....hope not. *looks out at dead plants in garden in back* I should have cleaned it out.

Should also look up best start date for cool weather plants.....hmmmm

thePerfectFool
02-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Right now all I have is few aloe vera plants. My sister and I are looking to rent a house this summer, and I plan on planting spinach, carrots, and bell peppers so I can have salad every day. I may get some cucumbers and brocolli if everything else does well.

OHR
02-20-2012, 07:06 PM
My sister and I are looking to rent a house this summer, and I plan on planting spinach, carrots, and bell peppers so I can have salad every day. I may get some cucumbers and broccoli if everything else does well.
^Wonderful idea!! Let us know how the carrots do ['cause I've had turrble luck w/growing carrots].

ChandraNH
02-20-2012, 11:59 PM
I can't wait. We're putting in an orchard in the backyard (google backyard orchard culture, essentially you can fit four fruit trees in the space of one tree by keeping it aggressively pruned and planting successive ripening varieties). I'm thinking we're going to put in 12 trees this year and maybe 12 more next year.

Trenellm
02-22-2012, 01:59 AM
I cleared out my two, square foots gardens and starting over, dagnabit! Well, all except for my collard. Those plants are gansta. The are huge. Been growing them for a few years, now. I felt all empowered when I hacked down some bamboo and drilled them into the ground to make a stake for the greens.

I don't have much of a green thumb. I plant. I take care of them for a little while, then wander away. I grew some amazing cucumbers a few years ago. But then the bugs got them. That has been my downfall...BUGS

This year, I'm starting everything in jiffy pots, b/c I never know what is a seedling and what is a weed

So far I've started on, deep breath:

Corn, beets, cucumbers, pumpkin, watermelons, peppers, peas, eggplant, several herbs and a few strawberry plants.

I'm also trying my hand at flowers from seeds.

Somethings gonna grow! :-| :-))

Trenellm
02-22-2012, 02:01 AM
I also what more fruit baring trees. We already have four orange trees (it's like the law in Florida, ha) and a fig tree.

I would love to grow key lime and avacado.

ChandraNH
02-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Just talked to my husband it looks like we're probably putting in about 20 trees. he's gung ho about planting apple trees. Man I wish we could grow olives here in Kansas, we'd totally have an olive grove.

I'm also thinking about putting in some grapevines. I care nothing about grass, so I'd just as soon have a yard full of vegetable plants and fruit trees.

chachadiva
02-22-2012, 02:13 AM
I'm also thinking about putting in some grapevines. I care nothing about grass, so I'd just as soon have a yard full of vegetable plants and fruit trees.

I remember a story about a gentleman from Africa coming to America. He was puzzled by all the grass. He didn't understand how people who owned homes and had their own land didn't grow food plants. He didn't get the idea of full front and back decorative lawns. Not even a little corner of the yard being used for food. :-))

redecouverte
02-22-2012, 02:24 AM
I just rented my plot at the community gardens. I am so excited :)

Trenellm
02-22-2012, 02:57 AM

I wouldn't mind zero-scaping except for the stuff I grow. But I GUESS it's nice that my son has a lot of yard to play in.

MAN! that kid stays messing up my game :-))

Mommy love you.

empowered
02-23-2012, 07:37 PM
I am so excited for everyone starting there garden this year!

I already have broccoli seedlings that are 1 week old. My children and I were planting turnips and spinach on Monday and we have loads of earthworms! Worms are a great sign that the soil is rich in nutrients. It's 65 degrees here today and I think I am going to spend some time preparing soil for my carrots so that I can plant them this weekend. The hubby and I were talking about owning chickens. I did a little research and found how they can be beneficial besides the obvious...may consider.

Happy Gardening!

Veviticus
02-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Thank you so much, Empowered for starting this thread!!!

I've got "spring fever" and I went last week and purchased soil, hanging baskets, seeds, a birdfeeder, and bird seed for the birds and nectar for the hummingbirds.

I'm in zone 6b (Maryland) planting guide, so I'm not sure if there is going to be another cold frost coming through before I can plant and set my indoor plants outside.
I have already planted lavender seeds, morning glories, poppies and some other seeds indoors to transplant outdoors later. I get that great afternoon scorching sun on my balcony which is good.

Every year I do the upside down tomato planting, and have had much success. My space in limited since I live in an apartment and my balcony is small, but I make the best of it with the hanging baskets and window boxes on the balcony rails.
Since I don't have alot of space to plant large veggies, other than tomatoes, I'm going to plant mostly herbs, pepper and strawberry plants and see how it goes.

I'm excited and I hope that we can keep this thread going to give and receive tips and advise, and to keep each other encouraged in our gardening endeavors.:D

Lockolatte
02-24-2012, 02:10 AM
Hopefully this weekend I'll get out and clean up my garden area. I want to plant my seeds soon. The kid's cabbages are D E A D! Lol! We put them out in the raised beds and I think they got shocked from the sudden change in temperature. Oh well they will plant seeds pretty soon too. :p Chandra I can't wait to see your trees!:)

empowered
02-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Yes, indeed Veviticus...I am eager to swap ideas. I never tried those upside down planters. I was surprised at the unusual weather on Saturday. It was gloomy and snowing in the early morning (it didn't stick though) and by 8:30am the sun was out and not a cloud in the sky. The forecast didn't call for snow. DANG those weather men. On Sunday, the temp. must have dropped something fierce because when I checked the soil in the morning, at least 1inch was frozen. I couldn't even get my finger through. I thought I was going to loose my turnip and spinach sprouts, I watered them this morning and they seem to be doing fine.

@Lockolatte-you said that this will be your first time growing spinach. Spinach is cold and slightly frost tolerant. They are not fussy at all. You may want to cover them with row covers to keep the bugs from eating them.

Happy Gardening!

hunny bunny
02-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Ok, I decided to try the sweet potatoes. I have one in water with like 4 inches of growth. IM SOOOO EXCITED!!! Im going to grow them in containers to try to "contain" them from taking over my garden. Im trying some purple fingerling ones too. I just put them in water today.

I need to get my seeds together!! WOOOHOOO C'mon spring!

Veviticus
02-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Does anybody know when the last frost is suppose to hit Maryland? How does one figure that out?
This is the part of gardening that gets on my nerves. My planting mojo is raring to GO!!!:-))

chachadiva
02-28-2012, 05:06 PM
^The Old Farmer's Almanac. It's now digital: http://www.almanac.com/content/frost-chart-united-states

Veviticus
02-28-2012, 05:41 PM
^The Old Farmer's Almanac. It's now digital: http://www.almanac.com/content/frost-chart-united-states

Wooohooo...Thanks Chacha!!! I have the Almanac on my Kindle and none of this information was listed. Thank you so much!:D

Lockolatte
03-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi all! I cleaned up my garden spot and planted some seeds in my pots on Sunday. So far I've planted: Lettuce, collards, spinach, and black eyed peas. Hopefully everything will do well.

orangegoldfish
03-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Oooh, I need to switch off my computer, run upstairs (my house is kind of upside down, my garden is at the top of my house and my front door is at the bottom) and plant my tomato seeds.

Veviticus
03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
I've put flower seeds of various types (that will grow well on my balcony) in about 100 of those starter pods. Some have already poked their little green heads out of the soil.

I have 3 double hanging baskets (wire baskets with coconut lining)that I plan to put herbs in the top baskets, flowers in the lower baskets, and put tomato plants at the bottom of the lower baskets.

I also have two window boxes to hang on the rail of my balcony, that I haven't decided what to put in those.

I also want to plant some strawberries and red peppers. I know it might sound crazy but I have a vision in my head.

Hey, lets not forget to start adding pics so we can see how we are all coming along, and now is also the time to add bird seed to your feeders if you haven't already. I wonder when I should start adding the liquid food to the hummingbird feeder?

ChandraNH
03-01-2012, 05:15 PM
If you're running short of space, I've seen where people take unused shoe organizers(the kind that hang over your door with pockets for each shoe) and fill them with dirt and plant herbs in that. I'm going to try it this summer just for my herbs to free up space in the beds.

Here's a link to a picture of one: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look-using-a-shoe-organizer-fo-90196

empowered
03-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I am in love with Zinnias. I couldn't find a picture to post that what do them justice so, if you are interested, check them out in the link below:

http://www.burpee.com/flowers/zinnias/?cid=PPC

Also, growveg.com has a free trial for an online garden planner. I used it a couple of years ago and it helped me figure out how much I can plant with the space that I was working with. It also reminded me when it was time to plant specific veggies.

^^I have one of those shoe organizers, that is a very creative way to plant.

D.C. had a little over an inch of rain yesterday. I was worried that my turnip sprouts would drown. I checked on them this morning and they have actually grown. We are having such nice weather today (67 degrees and sunny). I think I will plant my carrots today.

Veviticus
03-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Today, I re-potted my rubber plant, planted avacado seeds, trimmed and top-soiled all of my other indoor plants...and I'm tired as all get out. But it's nice to see the finished results.
I cannot find my camera for the life of me to take pics, I will just have to use my cell phone.

This is seed started pack I used last week to plant my flowers seeds. I hope it works. See below.

http://www.burpee.com/seed-starting/burpee-ultimate-growing-kits-article10555.html

Lockolatte
03-11-2012, 02:58 AM
Veviticus, you've been busy! :)
The lettuce and collards have come up and just a few spinach plants. It must be too early for black eyed peas because they are chillin.

thePerfectFool
03-11-2012, 04:08 AM
I came home to find my rosemary had come back to life! I thought it died last year from lack of water. It looked like a buried stick. I looked at it today and it was huge! I trimmed off a whole main branch and there's still enough there to last the rest of the year :D My parsley is growing great as well. Everything else in that garden is DEAD :-)) My dad has a lot of work ahead of him.

I want to plant some garlic, but I can't trust anyone to not kill it while I'm away....

Veviticus
03-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Today I replanted my bamboo plant and use the other starter seed kit to plant some 4 o'clocks. The starter seed kit has 72 pots to fill. My lavender is not doing so well, and I read somewhere that it's very hard to grow from seed anyway. Maybe I can purchase some actual plants next month. But the cockcomb is doing great along with the morning glories.

This year I want to grow basil, mint, and celantro(sp?), peppers, strawberries and tomatoes.

I found out that the hummingbirds won't come to my area until April, so Im waiting to fill the feeder, but I really miss those little guys.

Happy planting everyone!

Sohful1
03-12-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm waiting on tomato season to start! I love me some tomato's straight off the vine. :). I actually had some peppermint (love in my tea) that a neighbor gave me but it died :(. I'm going to buy some more and try it again.

empowered
03-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Hello all! Glad to hear everyone so hard at work in their gardens.

So, I didn't plant my carrot seeds on the 1st. I planted them in a container on the 7th, along with more turnips, spinach, broccoli, and two different kind of beets. My broccoli seedlings are already emerging. I have never had my spinach take so long to sprout compared to other years. However, I usually germinate my spinach seeds in a ziploc bag with a damp paper towel and then plant them . My daughter accidentally knocked over 3 of 5 brocolli seedlings. The two that are left are 4 weeks old and I have already started to harden them off. Pics will come soon.

Happy Gardening!

ChandraNH
03-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm waiting on tomato season to start! I love me some tomato's straight off the vine. :). I actually had some peppermint (love in my tea) that a neighbor gave me but it died :(. I'm going to buy some more and try it again.

don't worry, that mint isn't dead. No matter what you do, mint will live on. It's like a weed, if you aren't careful, it will take over your yard.

I planted some last year, at the end of the season I pulled up all the roots and disposed of them. Plus we have cold winters in Kansas, with snow.

Went out this weekend and I have two mint plants growing in the raised bed somehow.

thePerfectFool
03-13-2012, 01:01 AM
This (http://boyslife.org/hobbies-projects/funstuff/7222/plant-a-compact-vegetable-garden/) looks like a good idea for those with little space.
http://boyslifeorg.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/garden-big2.jpg

OHR
03-13-2012, 01:51 AM
^I kinda did this one year. You've got to have strong twine to hold up the cucumber vines, just sayin'.
I'm so jealous of some of you able to start your gardens early...maybe later this week I can at least clean out my area.

ChandraNH
03-13-2012, 02:18 PM
That planter would be wicked easy and cheap to build, too. Just make sure you leave room around it for you to get to the vines on the backside (don't put it up against a fence or something).

If you have a habitat for humanity re-store in your area (they sell lumber and building supplies for ridiculously cheap prices, saw slabs of granite this weekend for $13, enough to cover a 4 foot counter) you can buy 4 foot lengths of fence rails for .80 each. Four of those nailed together plus three 6-8 foot rails and some twine and you're good to go, for about $6.

Veviticus
03-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Oh my!!!
The weather in Maryland has been so nice lately, and I am so tempted to set my flowers and seedlings outside. But according to the Almanac, the last frost is forecast for April!!!

Paaaatience Veviticus...Paaaaaaaaatience!

I'm setting the container plants outside (tempering) during the day and bringing them in at night. My hanging baskets looks so lonely and dejected without anything in them.:(

empowered
03-16-2012, 03:09 PM
^^Yes. The weather has been absolutely beautiful. It was 83 degrees yesterday.

I have included a few pics of my seedlings. My children have been a big help in the preparation and planting of the vegetable seeds. They love to dig around in the dirt for worms. We have really made it a learning experience. My son has even created a progress chart for everything.

2 week old turnip seedlings (Variety: Purple top white globe)
http://i42.tinypic.com/u7ofr.jpg

4 week old turnip seedlings in the box
1 week old broccoli emerging in the corners of the box
2 week old spinach in the right corner
I've got broccoli seeds in the two cups (I have always started a lot of my seeds that way)
http://i53.tinypic.com/2yjvgud.jpg

I can't really say how old the spinach seedlings are. I planted a few in the middle of February and when those didn't come up, I planted more in the beginning of March. Well, now I have an abundance of seedlings, because the seeds I planted back in February have emerged. (Variety" Bloomsdale)
http://i42.tinypic.com/33c94bd.jpg

If you look closely, my beets are finally starting to emerge. I planted Detroit Dark Red and Golden)
http://i40.tinypic.com/oqde8p.jpg

I didn't bother to take pics of the carrots, they haven't even sprouted yet. Can't wait to see some other progress.

Happy Gardening!

Veviticus
03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
^^Yes. The weather has been absolutely beautiful. It was 83 degrees yesterday.

I have included a few pics of my seedlings. My children have been a big help in the preparation and planting of the vegetable seeds. They love to dig around in the dirt for worms. We have really made it a learning experience. My son has even created a progress chart for everything.

2 week old turnip seedlings (Variety: Purple top white globe)
http://i42.tinypic.com/u7ofr.jpg

4 week old turnip seedlings in the box
1 week old broccoli emerging in the corners of the box
2 week old spinach in the right corner
I've got broccoli seeds in the two cups (I have always started a lot of my seeds that way)
http://i53.tinypic.com/2yjvgud.jpg

I can't really say how old the spinach seedlings are. I planted a few in the middle of February and when those didn't come up, I planted more in the beginning of March. Well, now I have an abundance of seedlings, because the seeds I planted back in February have emerged. (Variety" Bloomsdale)
http://i42.tinypic.com/33c94bd.jpg

If you look closely, my beets are finally starting to emerge. I planted Detroit Dark Red and Golden)
http://i40.tinypic.com/oqde8p.jpg

I didn't bother to take pics of the carrots, they haven't even sprouted yet. Can't wait to see some other progress.

Happy Gardening!

Woooohooo go head!!! Everything is looking good, and you have such a great variety. I am so happy for you. Today it's raining, cool but not cold. I think I will set some of the flower seedlings out and see what happens.

Lockolatte
03-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Everything is looking good empowered. Thanks for showing your pics. :)

thePerfectFool
03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Looking good empowered!

If you ladies have a Pinterest (http://pinterest.com/miladyrose/going-green/) you should definitely get a gardening board. There's sooo much info out there I have a hard time not bringing everything over here :-))

OHR
03-16-2012, 09:39 PM
*kicks can and a possum* Keep the pics and news of your gardens coming! I need to get on the ball.

Cutie McPretty
03-17-2012, 03:33 AM
BUMP****************

Lockolatte
03-17-2012, 09:55 PM
I went out and planted more seeds today. Something is eating my seedlings already but I'm determined! Here are a few pics of how things look so far:
http://inlinethumb40.webshots.com/49319/2943339210086871397S500x500Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb16.webshots.com/47567/2553750250086871397S500x500Q85.jpg
:-o Nothing exciting but better tha nothing.:p

Akomas_Angel
03-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Yay!!! I'm so excited.

This year I'm attempting to grow from seeds. I have no clue how that is going to turn out, but so far this is what I have going on:

-parsley
-cilantro
-oregano
-dill
-basil
-marigold (sprouting)
-romaine lettuce (sprouting)
-cayenne pepper

I don't know if my cucumbers or tomatoes are going to come back this year, but if they don't, I plan on buying new plants from Lowes or Home Depot in early April.

I need suggestions on what else to try this year. I'm in Northern Virginia and I need easy stuff that can grow easily in pots. Help me out peeps!

OHR
03-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Before the rainstorm today, I cleared off my deck. Three of my annuals came back [in pots]. There are collards waiting for me to pick 'em in the garden area. Maybe tomorrow, I'll cut them down and blanch them for later use.

creativity
03-20-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm getting started this week.

creativity
03-20-2012, 02:07 PM
If you're running short of space, I've seen where people take unused shoe organizers(the kind that hang over your door with pockets for each shoe) and fill them with dirt and plant herbs in that. I'm going to try it this summer just for my herbs to free up space in the beds.

Here's a link to a picture of one: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look-using-a-shoe-organizer-fo-90196

LOL! Thats really a good idea. I want to try this. Thanks! ;)

empowered
03-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Happy First Day of Spring!!

Thanks Ladies. I don't have the prettiest garden, but I try to make due with the materials I have.

The weather has been so nice in D.C. The hottest has been 83 degrees so far, but the weather has maintained a consistent mid 70's temp. for the most part. My carrots have finally started to show up.

@Lockolatte- Looking good! those darn gnats are nibbling on my spinach and turnips...nothing too drastic though. The early warm weather has definitely brought about those pests. I have been seeing spider webs in the garden. I try not to disturb them, because they are keeping the bad bugs to a minimum. Have you considered getting a row cover? I may have to invest in a couple myself, if things get out of hand. I already hung up a few cd's on the tree limbs to deter the birds...so far so good.

@ Akomas- You can't get any easier than what thePerfectFool posted. All the vegetables are very east to grow. You don't even have to get fancy with the soil either. If you are using pots or a raised bed, just get some good potting soil, a bag of compost (I like using leaf mould), and maybe a bag of composted manure (all vegetables don't do well with manure).

@OHR- what kind of annuals do you have?

Happy Gardening!

Akomas_Angel
03-22-2012, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the confidence boost empowered!

I've added broccoli and collard greens to my garden. So far, everything that I've planted has started sprouting.

I'm going to figure out how to free up some more space because now I want to try my hand at a few more things.

And, TPF, I have a beef with you! :(o) I'm HOOKED on pinterest. :p

creativity
03-22-2012, 03:37 AM
Just wondering.. is it too late to start seeds inside or should I just place outside now? if I do keep them inside for awhile do they need to be kept in a dark place? Thanks.

Akomas--wow. You have a great start going.

thePerfectFool
03-22-2012, 04:21 AM
If there's a chance that you'll get a surprise freeze before summer I would keep them inside a while longer if they're delicate plants. If not, go ahead and let them grow outside.

I get to go to a farmer's market Saturday!!! I'm going to get as many herbs as my dad will let me :-)) I plan on having an extensive herb garden this year and hopefully for the foreseeable future.

creativity
03-22-2012, 04:26 AM
^^Thank you! I hope to get more plants this weekend too.

thePerfectFool
03-22-2012, 04:54 AM
Yay! What are you planning on getting? I'm on the hunt for mint, sage, and basil.

ETA Here's a homemade insect repellent I found

This spicy mixture will repel many of the insects that bother your garden. Be careful! It is hot!
Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 10 minutes

What You Need

Kitchen gloves
Spray bottle
1/2 cup of water
3-4 hot chili peppers
3-4 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of dishsoap
Enough water to fill remainder of spray bottle
Blender
Fine mesh strainer

Here's How:
Add water to blender.
Add hot peppers and garlic.
Blend until smooth.
Strain and put in empty spray bottle.
Add dishsoap and fill sprayer with water to the top.

Tips:
Spray herbs out of direct sunlight. The sun can sometimes burn the leaves of herbs when wet with the soapy mixture.
Wear gloves when handling this mixture directly.
Although mixture is not poisonous, rinsing herbs before ingesting is recommended.
Keep face away from blender when opening. The fumes are extremely strong.

creativity
03-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the insect repellant tip PF. I tried garlic water last year and seemed to work for awhile.

I already have rosemary and sage and I hope to get mint,basil, and lemongrass. I don't think lemongrass comes out till later though. I would also like to try aloe vera and mosquito plant--they smell so good and lemony.

Veviticus
03-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks Perfect for that recipe!

I was using the dish soap with water mixture but I didn't add all of the other ingredients, so I gotta hop to it.

I'm going to purchase the rest of the soil for my planters and get my seedlings in the hanging baskets and out on my balcony by April 1st.

I am so anxious to be able to sit on my balcony and enjoy the flowers and birds. It's my summer sanctuary at home.

Happy planting everyone.

OHR
03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
@ empowered:
Right now, we don't have annuals yet. This early spring/summerlike weather has caught us by surprise!

Some of our perennials are coming up like: "blackjack', tulips and daffodils, phlox, etc. Typically my dh is the one that plants all of the flowers, I do the veggies. If I have time this weekend, I need to clear out the vegetable bed. I have 4 bags of compost from last year that I have to work in.

thePerfectFool
03-23-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm glad you ladies like the insect repellent recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it will work nicely.

There's no farmers market Saturday :( I really don't want to wait until summer to get my herb garden going. I might need to go to Atwoods and see what they have out. I don't want to go to Walmart because I don't know if they have GMOs

Lockolatte
03-23-2012, 12:54 AM
bump...................................

Akomas_Angel
03-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Oohh, it's about to be on like donkey kong, lol. I bought 2 of the Home Depot version of the Earthboxes. I can't wait to get my soil, lime, and fertilizer so that I can put some seeds in there.

I have to figure out what I'm going to put in there and figure out the layout of the items. I'm so excited!

Lockolatte
03-23-2012, 01:23 AM
bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michele4905
03-23-2012, 03:07 AM
I'm so happy to have this thread. I decided to really try to have a garden this year!

I'm a beginner and don't know anything about gardening so I want to start simple. I live at home and my parents will help me but want me to do plots. What are some simple crops I can plant at this time of year? I'm thinking peppers, spinach and herbs?

Any advice??

OHR
03-23-2012, 03:11 AM
I'm so happy to have this thread. I decided to really try to have a garden this year!

I'm a beginner and don't know anything about gardening so I want to start simple. I live at home and my parents will help me but want me to do plots. What are some simple crops I can plant at this time of year? I'm thinking peppers, spinach and herbs? Any advice??
re: spinach. This grows best when it's cooler...are you living where you'll have cool weather? Now having said that, there are some varieties that don't mind a bit of warmth.

Peppers like it hot!! Make sure you water well.

I've never done herbs....maybe this year.

OHR
03-23-2012, 03:12 AM
Oohh, it's about to be on like donkey kong, lol. I bought 2 of the Home Depot version of the Earthboxes.
*scratches chin* hmmm...how much did they run ya?

Akomas_Angel
03-23-2012, 03:21 AM

I'm a beginner and don't know anything about gardening so I want to start simple. I live at home and my parents will help me but want me to do plots. What are some simple crops I can plant at this time of year? I'm thinking peppers, spinach and herbs?

Any advice??

I was a first timer last year. I grew peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers. They were very easy. All I really had to do was water them and try and keep the bad pests away.

I think the things you have planned sounds like a great start.

*scratches chin* hmmm...how much did they run ya?

They were $29.97/each. I went to Wegmans (not sure if that grocery store is in OH) to get the Earthboxes for $40, but a woman encouraged me to get the Home Depot version.

Michele4905
03-23-2012, 04:38 AM
I live in NYC. My neighbors grow tomatoes and cucumbers so I want to diversify crops, if you will lol.

Are fall vegetables feasible in NYC? Maybe I can grow spinach with potatoes?

Btw, I'm scouring the internet looking for good gardening/ black healthy blogs or websites. Any good suggestions?

empowered
03-23-2012, 02:41 PM
^^The weather has been unseasonably warm so far. I have the Bloomsdale variety which is slow to bolt.

Anyone growing potatoes this year?

I found baby slugs in one of my pots the other day. I spent about 10 minutes picking them out and disposing of them. I haven't seen any since. If anyone has problems with slugs, snails, potato bugs, etc...here are a couple of organic tips.

Beer in a dish method

*Spot the infested location and dig a hole wide and deep enough to fit your container in. Make sure the rim of the container is at soil level.

*Get a shallow container like a tuna can and fill half of it with flat beer and place in the hole. Any brand will do.

You can leave it there all season long or as long as you continue to see the pests.
The beer attracts snails, slugs, potato bugs, and ants. As the bugs go inside the container, they will drown in the beer. You will need to replenish when the container gets full and/or after it rains. This method worked wonders last year when I had a potato bug infestation.

Crushed egg shells

How to?

This method works well with slugs.

*Get a few egg shells and crush them up.

*Sprinkle the shells around the base of the plant.

Since slugs have a soft body, they will not be able to crawl over the jagged shells. If they tried, the shells will cut them.

I found both of these methods to be effective. It was cheaper than me getting Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth and going commando.

Happy Gardening!

BTW: Does anyone else have pics to post?

Veviticus
03-23-2012, 04:10 PM
^^The weather has been unseasonably warm so far. I have the Bloomsdale variety which is slow to bolt.

Anyone growing potatoes this year?

I found baby slugs in one of my pots the other day. I spent about 10 minutes picking them out and disposing of them. I haven't seen any since. If anyone has problems with slugs, snails, potato bugs, etc...here are a couple of organic tips.

Beer in a dish method

*Spot the infested location and dig a hole wide and deep enough to fit your container in. Make sure the rim of the container is at soil level.

*Get a shallow container like a tuna can and fill half of it with flat beer and place in the hole. Any brand will do.

You can leave it there all season long or as long as you continue to see the pests.
The beer attracts snails, slugs, potato bugs, and ants. As the bugs go inside the container, they will drown in the beer. You will need to replenish when the container gets full and/or after it rains. This method worked wonders last year when I had a potato bug infestation.

Crushed egg shells

How to?

This method works well with slugs.

*Get a few egg shells and crush them up.

*Sprinkle the shells around the base of the plant.

Since slugs have a soft body, they will not be able to crawl over the jagged shells. If they tried, the shells will cut them.

I found both of these methods to be effective. It was cheaper than me getting Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth and going commando.

Happy Gardening!

BTW: Does anyone else have pics to post?

Oh yes that DE is the business! I have a huge container of it, and since I also use it for other things, it's a miracle worker I tell ya!! But I will also save my egg shells to put in my flower pots and baskets.

Thanks for the knowledge.

thePerfectFool
03-25-2012, 12:15 AM
I finally got some perlite for my aloe veras today. I just finished re-potting them , and there was enough extra soil left over for me to pot my new cayenne pepper plants too :D

thePerfectFool
03-26-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm trying to grow oregano and thyme from seed. I also saved an avocado seed, and I'm going to see if I can manage to grow a tree from it. I know it will take years, and I'm ready for the long haul :D

Michele4905
03-27-2012, 01:32 AM
Where did you guys buy seeds and/or plants

thePerfectFool
03-27-2012, 03:12 AM
I got my seeds from Wal-Mart, but you can find seeds and plants at home improvement stores like Lowe's and Home Depot.

empowered
03-27-2012, 04:11 PM
^^What she said. They have pretty good selections.

What's up with this cool weather for the past couple of days? I was considering planting my green beans to start my warm season crops. I guess I have to plant them as scheduled.

Veviticus
03-27-2012, 04:17 PM
^^What she said. They have pretty good selections.

What's up with this cool weather for the past couple of days? I was considering planting my green beans to start my warm season crops. I guess I have to plant them as scheduled.

I purchased my seeds from K-Mart and Target.

Yep, the Old Farmer's Almanac said that there was going to be one more cold spell.

OHR
03-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Yep, the Old Farmer's Almanac said that there was going to be one more cold spell.
(:-)don't plant those warm weather crops just yet. I had to scrape hard frost off my windshields this morning.

Lockolatte
03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Most of my cool weather stuff is coming along ok. I think it was 44 one night this week but not lower than that. My spinach seeds must have been mostly duds unless I'm just not holdin my mouth right.

empowered
03-30-2012, 02:16 PM
^^I know that carrot and spinach seeds can take up to 2 weeks to germinate. Give them some time.

I have to say that the recent cool weather has been good to my seedlings. I have seen a decrease in bugs and because of that, my plants are bouncing back and getting stronger.

My family and I will be out of town for a week. I hope it will rain while we are away for the sake of my vegetables.

Happy Gardening!!

thePerfectFool
04-01-2012, 05:13 PM
My rosemary clippings finally started growing roots, and my thyme is sprouting!! :happy dance: I'm going to have a massive mason jar herb collection by the end of the year :D

creativity
04-02-2012, 05:45 PM
My strawberry plant came back from last year and is now sporting some cute flowers. My tomato plant has flowers on it too and my rosemary and cucucumber are growing well.
The seedlings are coming along just fine too.

Keep growing everyone!

thePerfectFool
04-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Has anyone ever had problems with mold growing on the outside of cheap terra cotta pots? I have three pots, and one of them sprouted mold. I wiped it down with ACV, but it came right back. The only difference between it and the other two is that the two have habanero pepper plants in them, and the one has thyme. Help?