PDA

View Full Version : Gardening Season is Here-Vol II.

OHR
04-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Volume I. (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149280) 10char

Regarding the mold on pots...have you soaked in a bleach/water solution, then let air dry? I've done this and: killed off mold [or suspected mold] in the oven. Here's a link (http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-terra-cotta-pots/) that might be helpful.

thePerfectFool
04-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks OHR. I haven't tried bleach; I don't own any at the moment. I'll try it as soon as I get a hold of some.

creativity
04-05-2012, 02:24 PM
http://pinterest.com/pin/62487513549884077/

Not mine but what a great idea

thePerfectFool
04-05-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm totally following her now :D

Lockolatte
04-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi everybody! I'm slowly transplanting some of the seedlings. Here are a few shots of everything:
http://inlinethumb50.webshots.com/47729/2397473100086871397S500x500Q85.jpg

thePerfectFool
04-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Looks great :D What is that tall plant in the back? Green onion?

Lockolatte
04-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks PF! Yep, those are Egyptian Walking Onions.

ChandraNH
04-10-2012, 01:56 AM
Aww man, everyone is so far ahead of me. I got a late start and just started my indoor seedlings, but did get some spinach planted in the garden since it's been cool here.

I also planted a fig tree yesterday. I need to have a couple of yards of garden mix delivered for the orchard/garden/flower beds. hopefully I can get moving on things.

Everything is looking great Lockolatte

Veviticus
04-10-2012, 01:58 AM
I planted my tomatoes in the topsy turvy, but lately the wind has been so strong in Maryland, and the weather has dropped some....oh well, I will just have to wait and see.:(

And by the way Spring Hill Nursery has a one cent sale going on for a limited time(purchase a plant and get another for a penny) at springhillnursery.com/onecentsale.

Kurliez
04-10-2012, 02:09 AM
I decided to grow one strawberry plant on my sunniest window sill to see if I'm able to grow some berries this year. Last year, all my poor little strawberries from the plants in the flowerbed were spirited away by the little brown birds that hangout around my flower garden. The inside strawberry plant is growing like crazy and the first berry just appearance a while ago. It's getting big quickly and looks very juicy. Those sneaky birds aren't getting these tasty berries this year :3

btw, has anyone seen hummingbirds yet? I'm going to hang my hummingbird feeder in a couple weeks when the weather gets warmer.

Veviticus
04-10-2012, 02:14 AM
I decided to grow one strawberry plant on my sunniest window sill to see if I'm able to grow some berries this year. Last year, all my poor little strawberries from the plants in the flowerbed were spirited away by the little brown birds that hangout around my flower garden. The inside strawberry plant is growing like crazy and the first berry just appearance a while ago. It's getting big quickly and looks very juicy. Those sneaky birds aren't getting these tasty berries this year :3

btw, has anyone seen hummingbirds yet? I'm going to hang my hummingbird feeder in a couple weeks when the weather gets warmer.

I went to purchase strawberry plants today, but the ones at Kmart are high as heaven!
I have put my hummingbird feeder out, and although the liquid food has gone down, but I haven't seen any hummingbirds. IF they have arrived, they probably come out very early in the morning. Not until the weather is very warm do I see them in the afternoons too.

Kurliez
04-10-2012, 02:37 AM
^I went to Lowes and brought a small, single june bearing plant for like $2 and a cutesy decorative pot for $6. I might go back and get the huge hanger basket of the berry plant since those baskets were all everbearing, and the strawberries on them were very large (I really waiting for a sell).

empowered
04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey all! So glad this thread is continuing.

I was away for a week on spring break. I managed to find a solution for keeping my plants watered, I had dad to go over and give everything a little sprinkle. However, when I returned on Saturday, I found one of the dogs loose and most of my beets, turnips, and 3 broccoli seedlings, all trampled. I did try to salvage those that were still rooted in the soil. I will have to see what happens after two weeks or so.

On the bright side, my other broccoli seedlings are looking healthy, the spinach are getting stronger since I repositioned them and took care of the slug problem, my strawberry plants are lush since I separated them back in February, and my carrots are looking great. My hubby bought 3 tomato plants yesterday. Pics will soon follow.

Happy Gardening!

thePerfectFool
04-10-2012, 11:06 PM
^ aww I'm sorry about your plants :(

I found a resource on how to make pots out of tape and newspaper. I want to try it, but I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be for long term. I need to make some money do I can buy some more pots.

empowered
04-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks tPF. I was considering planting more, but I think that I am going to let what's out there now go for what they know and wait for the fall to replant them.

I was looking through some sites on tomatoes...I've been growing them for years now, but I can never get enough information. Anyway, I just thought that I would share a way to protect those almost ripened fruit from predators...by placing a ziploc bag on the actual fruit.

Happy Gardening!

Fedyfro
04-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Way behind it seems but then again I learned not to get started to soon here in the NE. Cleared by beds and pots. Will start my seeds in the next week or so.

Lockolatte
04-12-2012, 01:21 AM
The temps are going to drop tonight, so I brought my strawberries inside. The rest of the stuff is cool weather stuff so it should be fine.

Veviticus
04-12-2012, 01:31 AM
The temps are going to drop tonight, so I brought my strawberries inside. The rest of the stuff is cool weather stuff so it should be fine.

I finally broke down and purchased 3 strawberry plants (Ozark Beauty variety) but I've kept them inside since the temperature dropped in Maryland. I hope my tomato plants will be okay, since I've planted them in the topsy turvy and do not have anywhere to hang them inside.

Lockolatte
04-12-2012, 01:39 AM
I finally broke down and purchased 3 strawberry plants (Ozark Beauty variety) but I've kept them inside since the temperature dropped in Maryland. I hope my tomato plants will be okay, since I've planted them in the topsy turvy and do not have anywhere to hang them inside.

I hope they will be ok too. Do you know if there are replacement bags for the topsy turvy? Mine disintegrated after one year!:(o)

Veviticus
04-12-2012, 02:00 AM
I hope they will be ok too. Do you know if there are replacement bags for the topsy turvy? Mine disintegrated after one year!:(o)

I think you just have to purchase a new one. The first one I had lasted for two years. It didn't disintegrate, but the sun faded it really bad and there were some thin places. I probably could have use it for another growing season, but I didn't want to take the chance of the bag bursting, and purchased a new one. I only paid 7 dollars for it, so it wasn't that bad to replace it with a new one, which cost about the same. There are also other topsy turvy's that are not name brand but, looks that same and are cheaper.

thePerfectFool
04-12-2012, 04:16 AM
My niece broke one of my aloe vera's leaves this afternoon :'( It was the only one that was perfectly healthy. I cant even bring myself to use the broken part for anything conductive. I feel silly getting all worked up about a plant, but I can't help it. I nursed that plant back from the dead dangit!

In other news, I finally got around to replanting my thyme. My room smells like Italian food now lol

Michele4905
04-12-2012, 05:04 AM
I went with my Mommy to Home Depot the other day to pick up bulbs but the vegetable gardening section was very empty. We asked one of the workers there why and he said it was too early. The temperature in NYC has been so shaky lately. I'll check back in a couple of weeks.

empowered
04-12-2012, 02:58 PM
^^Try Lowe's, Walmart, or any of your neighborhood nursery stores.

I left my strawberry plants outside. I figured if they withstood the freezing temperatures during the winter, they are fine now. I have many tiny berries all of the plants, but none of them are ripening as of yet. My daughter and I pruned and planted 2 of 3 tomato plants yesterday. It's supposed to reach 80 degrees over the weekend.

Happy Gardening!

Lockolatte
04-12-2012, 07:40 PM
^^I'm about to put my strawberries back outdoors too. It didn't even get that cold here last night. I have one red strawberry on my plants already....I guess they will be ok tonight.

Veviticus
04-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I have a question..
When you first purchase your strawberry plants, are you suppose to nip off the flowers or buds when you first plant them, so that the roots can get established, in order to yield a bigger and better crop?

I read this online somewhere, and was wondering if any of you did this with your strawberry plants and what was the results.

Kurliez
04-12-2012, 09:39 PM
^I read about that too, but I didn't take the advice. In the first year, the outside strawberry plants bud small berries. This is the second year, and those plants are budding perfectly healthy looking berries. The strawberry plant on my window sill is a first year plant and its berries are growing huge and healthy looking. I would just let the plant do it's thing, but that's my opinion.

I might buy another plant and pot and use this advice to see if it works. I'm curious myself.

Lockolatte
04-12-2012, 10:10 PM
I have a question..
When you first purchase your strawberry plants, are you suppose to nip off the flowers or buds when you first plant them, so that the roots can get established, in order to yield a bigger and better crop?

I read this online somewhere, and was wondering if any of you did this with your strawberry plants and what was the results.

Yes, this is true and I didn't do it last year, so I had very few strawberries. This year I have a ton that have formed partly because I ripped the netting off last summer,which yanked off blooms and stalks. I think this is also due to the fact that they are second year plants and have more established roots.

Veviticus
04-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm going to go and nip some flowers and buds off some strawberry plants, and pretend it's somebody's head who got on my last nerve today. Hehehehe ;)

Lockolatte
04-13-2012, 12:35 AM
^^^Hahahahaaa! You just made me burst out laughing!! :D

creativity
04-13-2012, 03:13 AM
I didn't get any strawberries last year (nor flowers) and my plant came back and has flowers now. So should I take some of the flowers off? I don't know what I'm doing yall but I'm trying!

TPF--is it possible to place the broken part in water to try and get new roots for replanting?

Lockolatte
04-13-2012, 03:17 AM
Creativity, if you have plenty of blooms I would just let them be. If you don't have many, I would pinch them off.

OHR
04-13-2012, 03:50 AM
I'm scurred to try strawberries again...the last time I tried, the birds got 'em. It's great reading about you all that have luck growing them!

creativity
04-13-2012, 12:34 PM
OKay thanks Lockolatte!

OHR this is really my first time trying. Maybe I will get some kind of netting or something to protect them.

creativity
04-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Have any of you had issues with planting seeds. Sometimes I have read that some seeds are manufactured so much they don't fruit.

Fedyfro
04-13-2012, 04:24 PM
^^I had some cucumbers that did not do a thing. Im going to set up my mini-green houses this weekend.

creativity
04-13-2012, 04:29 PM
I thought so Fedy.. thanks. I guess I will just cross my fingers.

I want to see your mini green houses. How cool is that!

Fedyfro
04-13-2012, 05:44 PM
I found them online. Trying to keep the squirrels out.

Dovechild20
04-15-2012, 01:05 AM
Ive been mostly a farm and farmer's market fly (and that wont change, just reduce a bit) up until now, but have been chomping at the bit about starting to grow my own food.

I got great inspiration from River Park Farm in NYC http://www.riverparkfarm.com/RiverparkFarm/Default.htm and so i figured i have a large balcony, i can start my own milk crate farm.

However, finding cheap/free milk crates has been challenging. My wonderful husband just found me milk crates on Craigslist.com for cheap and we just picked them up a few hours ago.

I'm SOOO excited!!!

This isnt my first time growing something but this would be my first container balcony garden, so im trying not to be overly ambitious, but I cant help it! I'd rather learn by fire than to hedge my bets and this is THE PERFECT time in Texas to start growing (well, actually fall is, but thas neither here nor there lol).

I'm hoping to post up some pics of my milk crate farm here soon to help share and track my progress.

creativity
04-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Can't wait to see your milkcrate garden Dovechild.

I am transplanting Dahlia the seedlings I started a few weeks ago. I got a few succulents yesterday and hope to repot them today.

Lockolatte
04-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Dovechild, I can sense your excitement! Good luck and have fun. :D

OHR
04-16-2012, 12:05 AM
*stares at the weed-ridden garden area* I got to get on the ball. Maybe tomorrow after work I'll get out there and tidy up.

Kurliez
04-16-2012, 12:26 AM
This morning, I just picked and ate the very first strawberry from my indoor plant. I can honestly say it was the sweetest tasting and smelling strawberry I had ever eaten; somewhat small, but very red and juicy. I'm hooked. I have the loran variety on my window sill. I'm reading there are sweeter berry varieties than the loran (wow!). I think I'm going to be addicted to growing various strawberry varieties now :0/ lol

Lockolatte
04-16-2012, 12:48 AM
*stares at the weed-ridden garden area* I got to get on the ball. Maybe tomorrow after work I'll get out there and tidy up.

I approve of this post.

thePerfectFool
04-16-2012, 01:51 AM
I can't wait until I can move off-campus and start my veggie garden.

creativity
04-16-2012, 03:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db6TEg97Jsg

Veviticus
04-16-2012, 02:24 PM
FINALLY...I think spring in Maryland is here to stay!!:D

empowered
04-17-2012, 06:09 PM
^^I know. The weekend was wonderful.

I only had trouble once with birds nabbing my strawberries. Those jokers had the nerve to only pick the ripe ones too. I fixed them with some netting. After I taught my children how to pick strawberries, my son would go out every chance he got to grab some for him and his sister.

I am so glad to hear everyone's gardening is doing great!

Lockolatte
04-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Birds were getting some of my strawberries last year too. I balled up netting over them but I don't like the look of that. Today I used some of my tomato cages and draped the netting over the strawberry plants. I think this will work better and hopefully the strawberry runners will not tangle in the netting as much.
http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/21358/2785278790086871397S425x425Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/27661/2498806120086871397S425x425Q85.jpg

creativity
04-21-2012, 03:22 PM
^ You have a nice container garden there wow!

I started some basil seeds last weekend and checked this morning and those seeds are all baby plants now. That was really quick. I'm going to give them another week before I replant.

Michele4905
04-22-2012, 04:53 AM
The day has finally come!

My whole family (well, my sister and Mother) started with boring yard work. The building next to us has a wall covered with ivy. My sister and my mother spent hours peeling a lot of it off and cleaning up leaves. I helped them towards the end.

With the help of my wonderful boyfriend, I tilled my soil and mixed in some fancy, smancy, organic soil I got from Home Depot. My sister-n-law explained to me how to exactly plant each item. After hours of grueling work, I now have planted:

rosemary
thyme
sweet basil
oregano
parsley

broccoli
big bertha peppers (i can't w/ that name)
red bell pepper

I'm excited and worried. I definitely didn't give my broccoli the room suggested. I also didn't know that it was a cold weather plant until after I came in the door. (darnit) I hope everything will work out. I planted a few of them.

The good news is that it is raining and my crops and lawn will get good water. Bad news is that there are only going to be a few sunny days this week. *sigh* I hope it all works out.

empowered
04-25-2012, 04:09 PM
^^Great going Michele. With all the recent cool weather, your broccoli will be fine.

Well, here are my contributions.

Here are the kiddos enjoying fresh turnip greens.
http://i40.tinypic.com/1251de1.jpg

Baby girl checking on the carrots. I actually planted them in succession. In between the rows are more carrot seeds beginning to sprout.
http://i43.tinypic.com/1410ak3.jpg

Can anyone tell me the name of this flowering plant? I know it's a perennial.
http://i40.tinypic.com/10nrwwj.jpg

It produces this kind of flower.
http://i44.tinypic.com/dr3s6h.jpg
So sorry for the huge pictures.

Happy Gardening!

Lockolatte
04-26-2012, 12:32 AM
The day has finally come!

My whole family (well, my sister and Mother) started with boring yard work. The building next to us has a wall covered with ivy. My sister and my mother spent hours peeling a lot of it off and cleaning up leaves. I helped them towards the end.

With the help of my wonderful boyfriend, I tilled my soil and mixed in some fancy, smancy, organic soil I got from Home Depot. My sister-n-law explained to me how to exactly plant each item. After hours of grueling work, I now have planted:

rosemary
thyme
sweet basil
oregano
parsley

broccoli
big bertha peppers (i can't w/ that name)
red bell pepper

I'm excited and worried. I definitely didn't give my broccoli the room suggested. I also didn't know that it was a cold weather plant until after I came in the door. (darnit) I hope everything will work out. I planted a few of them.

The good news is that it is raining and my crops and lawn will get good water. Bad news is that there are only going to be a few sunny days this week. *sigh* I hope it all works out.
Hey,
I planted broccoli in the spring last year too. It was okay but not really thriving. The hot weather makes it go to seed quickly. I still had enough to eat on my salads though. You can eat the leaves of the broccoli plant too.
Locko

OHR
04-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Yep, I've started to clear the weeds and such from my garden today. While I'm at it, I'm cutting some collards to blanch tonight. Fortunately, most of the weed roots aren't too deep, so I don't have to be out here all day long.

I just checked the week's weather forecast...on Thursday, the temps are to be 87 degrees!! :huh:hooboy, I better get on it!

Lockolatte
04-30-2012, 02:25 AM
I went garden shopping today. I got some tomatoes, peppers, boxwood basil, soil, and more pots. I worked for a while repotting some stuff then picked some lettuce and spinach for tonight's dinner.

Good job OHR! I will send you shallow weed root thoughts *spirit fingers*. Hope you don't have to hoe too hard, lol! :-))

Michele4905
04-30-2012, 02:51 AM
I tended to my garden today. I've been watering it religiously but am going to relax a little because I don't want to overdo it since it has been cool here.

I spoke to my neighbor about the cool weather and its potential effect on my bell peppers and he said they they may end up being a late crop. *crosses fingers*

I have a lot of other space in my backyard and want to do cool weather crops. My backyard is very shady so I may do root vegetables like potatoes and carrots.

I would love to do it directly in the soil but I have two big trees but my father worries that the vines and roots from the tree will soak up too much of the plants water.

creativity
05-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I want to do container spinach. Should I keep it in a shaded area?

empowered
05-02-2012, 06:51 PM
^^You should keep your spinach in a sunny area. However, they can tolerate a little shade.

creativity
05-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks empowered! I was wondering though because usually spinach grows when it cooler too right? Or is it specific spinach types?

Lockolatte
05-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Spinach needs sun, but it is a cool weather crop. It might do okay, but it may go to seed fast if it is too hot where you are.

creativity
05-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks Lock! I may give it try and leave it on my screen porch. It will still get some sun but at the time time not full blast heat.

thePerfectFool
05-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Here's to all you ladies growing strawberries
How to Keep Strawberries Fresh (http://thefrugalgirls.com/2012/04/how-to-keep-strawberries-fresh.html)

Lockolatte
05-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Thank TPF. Vinegar is good for so many purposes!

creativity
05-04-2012, 02:05 PM
My gardening divas-- question on container gardening..... Are you overly concerned about your containers when growing food? I went to Family dollar and got this huge plastic containers for $5 to put a tomato plant and some sunflowers in. Now I am thinking about the plastic emitting toxic whatever petrochemicals and crap in the soil. I would love the terracotta ones but I am trying to cut some costs. Are you overly concerned about using plastic to grow your crops in?

I will purposely get a terracotta pot for my spring lettuces though... just because.

empowered
05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Thank tPF. I will definitely be trying it. I have several berries already ripening.

@creativity-It never bothered me. I think I have been more conscious about the wood and nails that I choose for my raised garden beds.

creativity
05-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Ok thanks empowered. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong. I understand with the nails but with the woods are you more concerned if or how they are treated?

creativity
05-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Starting some french string beans. May try to put these in the ground and maybe a container or two. Any tips?

Lockolatte
05-07-2012, 01:35 AM
My gardening divas-- question on container gardening..... Are you overly concerned about your containers when growing food? I went to Family dollar and got this huge plastic containers for $5 to put a tomato plant and some sunflowers in. Now I am thinking about the plastic emitting toxic whatever petrochemicals and crap in the soil. I would love the terracotta ones but I am trying to cut some costs. Are you overly concerned about using plastic to grow your crops in?

I will purposely get a terracotta pot for my spring lettuces though... just because.

Some of my containers come from Dollar Tree and some from garden centers. I do wonder about what could be leaching into the soil, but I'm not going to worry about it. I'm one of those people that reuses plastic bottles though so don't go by what I say.:D

I've never grown string beans before but if I were doing it, I would use tomato cages for them to grow up on. Let me see if I can find a link to help you out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oceKnytZjfg

OHR
05-07-2012, 03:38 AM
I've never grown string beans before but if I were doing it, I would use tomato cages for them to grow up on.
Tomato cages make great supports for not only string beans but squash as well. Your veggies stay cleaner. Just help the plants by winding the vines around the cages.

creativity
05-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Lockolatte--Thanks for that video! I was wondering how big a container I would need and its great to know the bean root system is short! Whoo hoo! I have been watching gardening youtube videos but didn't come across this one. Thanks so much. And for the plastics.. yeah I am not going to harp on it too much. I mean I heat my food in plastic in the microwave. I am sure thats much worse.

OHR--- Thanks! I have bamboo in my yard (that stuff can get out of hand) and I saw a very easy video on youtube how to make cages out of them and some string.

Michele4905
05-08-2012, 02:46 AM
*sigh*

This bootleg NYC weather. Since I planted my garden two weeks ago, we've had maybe four days of sun. Many rainy days, the rest are just cool and cloudy.

Luckily I dont' see any weeds and the plants have no withered. *sigh* I'll just try my best to keep things clear and watered

thePerfectFool
05-08-2012, 03:37 AM
My rosemary and thyme dried up something awful while I was away this weekend. I hope I can nurse them back to health. In other news, my dad called to say that the oregano and parsley that never got planted last year are doing fine, and he put them in some dirt for me :D I'm going to propagate them so I won't have to buy new ones.

creativity
05-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Sorry about your plants drying up tPF. I am sure you will nurse them back. Congrats on the other herbs. I broke down and bought a little mint plant yesterday from Trader Joes... hope to replant sometime this week.

Michele--Hope the weather gets better for you and your garden.

Has anyone tried this? I don't necessary want to grow to get fruit but it would be cool to see a plant grow. I think I will try it with mango,lime and lemon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElQR25HEn0o

Michele4905
05-10-2012, 03:22 AM
So the bad weather broke my pepper plant in half. I now only have two of the four still standing. *****sigh*****

I may plant some more when the weather gets hotter in the already existing beds. Bad idea?

thePerfectFool
05-10-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks creativity. Make sure you keep your mint in a container away from the others. They are like weeds, and they'll take over every garden space you have if it can.

I'm going to brave the mosquitoes outside tomorrow and get in the dirt! Re-pot my aloes, put my peppers in the ground, trim back the wildly growing rosemary, and search for bugs. YAY GARDENING!

creativity
05-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Sorry Michele! It will grow back stronger.

Tpf--I am keeping that mint in a container for sure. Since I brought it home it seems to have grown a few inches. I have heard of its wildly spreading properties. lol. Happy repotting!

Oh yeah and I started some cuttings of my rosemary. I also bought some seeds so I can start little plants to give away to my friends but somehow I lost them. Sigh...

empowered
05-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Ok thanks empowered. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong. I understand with the nails but with the woods are you more concerned if or how they are treated?

I usually get untreated cedar wood from Lowe's. Cedar is rot resistant, making it more ideal for outdoor use. Make sure the wood is not treated and pressured because of the toxins in it.

empowered
05-10-2012, 02:20 PM
I grew bush beans last year and they did pretty well in the pot. I had to use tomato cages because the beans got too heavy for the plant once they got growing. I saved a few seeds from last year plants.

creativity
05-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks empowered and thanks for letting me know about the beans.Its cool you saved some of your seeds too. will you grow more this year?

thePerfectFool
05-10-2012, 06:14 PM
I finally got to spend some much needed time outdoors today. My dad and brothers started 4 box gardens, and there are random potted plants everywhere! I can't wait until they get home so they can tell me what they've done.

empowered
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
^^That sounds great tPF! I am excited for you.
@creativity- I will plant the beans that I harvested from last year. I think I will start with the old germinating test to see if they will sprout.

Lockolatte
05-10-2012, 08:54 PM
I finally got to spend some much needed time outdoors today. My dad and brothers started 4 box gardens, and there are random potted plants everywhere! I can't wait until they get home so they can tell me what they've done.

That is so cool that the whole family is involved. I wonder what they planted....:p

thePerfectFool
05-11-2012, 12:47 AM
I'm so excited! They planted corn, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, oregano, and dill! I donated my cayenne peppers and two of my aloe veras to the the cause. I can't wait until the veggies start producing!!!!

ETA: Also garlic and onions :D I'll take pictures tomorrow morning.

OHR
05-11-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm so excited! They planted corn, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, oregano, and dill! I donated my cayenne peppers and two of my aloe veras to the the cause. I can't wait until the veggies start producing!!!!
^*kicks another can* Dang it....I gots [yeah, I said it] gots to get on the ball. tPF: That's great they did alla that for you! :-|--->:(*sniff*

Lockolatte
05-11-2012, 01:14 AM
@TPF That sounds really nice! Post the pix when you can :)

Michele4905
05-14-2012, 02:40 AM
I did a lot of yard work on Saturday, pulling weeds and (gently) raking propeller leaves from the plants. I even got my 5 y/o and 2 y/o nephews to help me water everything. My broccoli has been thriving but my poor, poor pepper plants. Oh and my basil is almost wilting. :( We'll see.

Does anybody have any experience growing legumes?

empowered
05-16-2012, 02:27 PM
^^Good for you Michele. I grew basil last year and the only thing that contributed to it wilting was lack of water. Maybe you need to give them a good drink and see what happens.

@creativity-my bush bean seeds have sprouted. I will plant them today if I have enough time.

The children are having fun picking strawberries every two days and spinach & turnip greens once a week. I sometimes can't get enough to cook with, because they eat most of them before coming in the house. We are patiently waiting for the carrots, they'll be ready sometime next month.

creativity
05-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Oh cool empowered! I noticed this morning my beans have sprouted too. Out of the pack of maybe 12 seeds so far maybe 6 plants have popped up. Thats enough for me. I am so excited to repot them and see if I can grow them.

Thats so cool you planted carrots and turnip greens. I hate I missed out on the fall planting but I won't forget this year. I hope to also start my own compost for fall too.

Lockolatte
05-17-2012, 01:37 AM
I did a lot of yard work on Saturday, pulling weeds and (gently) raking propeller leaves from the plants. I even got my 5 y/o and 2 y/o nephews to help me water everything. My broccoli has been thriving but my poor, poor pepper plants. Oh and my basil is almost wilting. :( We'll see.

Does anybody have any experience growing legumes?

Last year I grew black eyed peas. They love hot weather. They grew very easily from seeds and were fast growers.

OHR
05-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Last year I grew black eyed peas. They love hot weather. They grew very easily from seeds and were fast growers.
^I grew some one summer...I didn't grow enough to make a decent side dish. :-))

creativity
05-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Has anyone tried fish emulsion a natural fertilizer for their garden?

Lockolatte
05-17-2012, 10:06 PM
^^ Nope. I use Miracle Grow.