PDA

View Full Version : ...And This Is Why Black Folks Don't Do Hockey

Soul Rebel
04-28-2012, 03:21 AM
...I generalize of course I'm sure there are Black hockey fans particularly in places where hockey is more entrenched. Here in SoCal, I'll be real and say that I never see any Black folks walking into the Kings games.

Anyway, this brother hit a game winning goal and his twitter blew up with racist remarks from angry fans. #pitiful :-|

After series-winning goal by black NHL player, fans let loose with racist comments (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/capitals/after-series-winning-goal-by-black-player-fans-let-loose-with-racist-comments/2012/04/26/gIQAdqOejT_story.html)

This NPR story tells how Ward is dealing with the situation (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=151539767&ft=1&f=)(quite gracefully). On the radio they said he chose the number 42 for his jersey because that was Jackie Robinson's number (Jackie Robinson was the first black player in MLB for those who may not have known).

Karibana
04-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Yeah but the comments were coming from Boston, not exactly haven for race relations and racial harmony from what I hear. I'm throwing the comments in the post racial crap pile. The black folks who'd be fazed by this probably haven't been or wouldn't be following hockey anyway otherwise they'd know there have been many top level black hockey players over the years only today people are bold enough to put their ugliness out there.

KoilyLocGirl
04-28-2012, 03:45 AM
Yeah but the comments were coming from Boston, not exactly haven for race relations and racial harmony from what I hear. I'm throwing the comments in the post racial crap pile. The black folks who'd be fazed by this probably haven't been or wouldn't be following hockey anyway otherwise they'd know there has been many top level black hockey players over the years only today people are bold enough to put their ugliness out there.

^ This right here. (my favorite because I've known him since his childhood is Jarome Iginla, and yours Kari, is likely Georges Laraque.....)

Karibana
04-28-2012, 03:53 AM
^Humm, no, George was embarassment during his time in Montreal and I saw him at a charity game last year and he mad an azz of himself on the ice. I'm afraid you'll have to share Iginla although I think I'll go back to the first black player I knew of: Grant Fuhr.

KoilyLocGirl
04-28-2012, 04:05 AM
Georges made an azz of himself? Really? That's too bad. I've had a couple run ins with this giant of a man and he's always been very cool. Jarome is a very nice guy. I used to perform with his mother back in the day, which is how i got to know him. Grant was a fantastic goalie.....and a horrible coke head (which took the shine off for me).

Karibana
04-28-2012, 04:10 AM
^Dang crack? Wow...

And "azz" was the wrong term, he basically was useless, much like he was when he was still playing professionally in Montreal. In spite of that, he was one of the more popular players and remains so even after he was sacked by the Canadiens.

Soul Rebel
04-28-2012, 04:25 AM
Yeah but the comments were coming from Boston, not exactly haven for race relations and racial harmony from what I hear. I'm throwing the comments in the post racial crap pile. The black folks who'd be fazed by this probably haven't been or wouldn't be following hockey anyway otherwise they'd know there have been many top level black hockey players over the years only today people are bold enough to put their ugliness out there.

Well I've known that there have been a lot of Black hockey players, to me this isn't about the players, it's about the fan base. Boston has always been racially deep but they weren't hauling off and calling Kobe racial slurs when we, I mean, The Lakers beat the Celtics. I've been to Celts/Lakers games in Boston wearing my Lakers jersey and while they weren't too happy with me, folks didn't come at me like that. Everything I've ever heard about hockey fans, frankly, has been unflattering and this is but another example.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

KoilyLocGirl
04-28-2012, 04:36 AM
Well I've known that there have been a lot of Black hockey players, to me this isn't about the players, it's about the fan base. Boston has always been racially deep but they weren't hauling off and calling Kobe racial slurs when we, I mean, The Lakers beat the Celtics. I've been to Celts/Lakers games in Boston wearing my Lakers jersey and while they weren't too happy with me, folks didn't come at me like that. Everything I've ever heard about hockey fans, frankly, has been unflattering and this is but another example.

I agree with this. ESPECIALLY because it's the Bruins' fan base. I'm in redneck city here in Oilers' country, and our fans come in all colors, and to my knowledge, there's never been this type of vitriol to our players of color. Boo Boston, Boo.

Karibana
04-28-2012, 05:06 AM

Well, I did say that this story was about the Boston fans showing their ugliness, but I also believe that this is just another version of the onslaught of racism that has come out after Obama's election and with the advent of the web 2.0 and it's anonymous comment. I think the general societal context explains much of those racist tweets. If black people were to stop following a particular sport because of racist fans, soccer would be first in line.

And I have to say, hockey may be a "white" game in the US, up here, it's the only game that matters, the other games are peripheral. That's what first drew me to your thread, In the Great White North, your title doesn't make sense :-)) Off course I'm kidding and generalizing.

I must add that one of my favourite one-liners in a comedy show came from John Amos, I think it was supposed to be a black version of All In The Family, they even lived in the same out. Anyhoo, his son was about to go catch a NY Rangers' game and the father says "Son, there will only be two black things at that game, you and that hockey puck" :-))

underthehood
05-01-2012, 12:02 PM
hahaha @ you and the hockey puck!! :D
That was just a beautiful backhand goal, those are the moments that make you luv the game. And yes, it is the only game that matters.

MsShel330
06-08-2012, 05:45 PM
hahaha @ you and the hockey puck!! :D
That was just a beautiful backhand goal, those are the moments that make you luv the game. And yes, it is the only game that matters.

I'm an American and to me, hockey is the only sport that matters. Well, that and track and field.

ChandraNH
06-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Me too. Boston had one of the first black players back in the day. Graeme Townshend.

MsShel330
06-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Me too. Boston had one of the first black players back in the day. Graeme Townshend.

Willie O'Ree, the first Black man in the NHL, played for the Bruins too, in 1958.

Incidently, the first Black woman in the Hockey Hall of Fame ( think she's the 2nd or 3rd woman overall) is Angela James. She's also the first Lesbian.

Soul Rebel
06-12-2012, 02:58 AM
LOL. Well one of my LA teams won something! #GoKings! :D

SourPatchKids
06-12-2012, 09:20 AM
I love watching hockey every now and then.
I find it more interesting than Basketball because it's a more aggressive action sport.

MsShel330
06-13-2012, 01:47 PM
LOL. Well one of my LA teams won something! #GoKings! :D

Yes! I was rooting for the Kings aka the Flyers West. It was a little bittersweet to see my favorite players lifting the Cup wearing a different uniform.

Karibana
06-13-2012, 03:54 PM
For some reason I was rooting for the Kings too :)