PDA

View Full Version : Gardening Season is here Volume III

creativity
05-01-2012, 01:27 PM
My seedlings of cherry tomatoes and sweet peppers will be replanted this week sometime. I'm so excited! I am thinking putting a couple in per pot just in case they don't take too well. And my basil and sage I started from seed need to be repotted too. This is so much fun watching plants grow. I hope they all fruit.

Oh.. and I put a bit of coffee grinds in my soil for my sunflowers yesterday. I hope I didn't put too much.

OH NO! Mods I started this thread without realizing Volume II was not closed. I was in Volume I and started this one my mistake! Can you delete this one or combine? SORRY!

Michele4905
05-18-2012, 03:59 AM
We ended up needed another thread anyway!

My neighbor has been growing tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs for a while. His rosemary and thyme bushes are huge. Anyway, he suggested that I transplant my peppers because they have stunted, likely due to the poor weather conditions and lack of exposure to the sun. I don't have much space near my broccoli but he doesn't think it would hurt none. I thought it would better to maybe extend my garden by digging up a few inches of my lawn or even getting a couple of containers.

redecouverte
05-18-2012, 11:02 PM
hello ladies :) I am gardening as well and so far there has been some drama!!
Someone decided to remove all the plants from my plot and I was so furious. That happened 2 weeks ago and I was really sad as I planted heirloom seeds. When I spoke to the garden manager, he told me that he would investigate.
I decided to plant again and was out of town. I came back on Tuesday and that person had removed the sign with my name and other plants...
I asked for a refund as I don't want to stress out about that all summer. It is so disappointing as I worked so hard..

My other plots s are doing great! I have potatoes, beets, carrots, cucumbers, flowers etc..
The eggplant is not doing well though....I am hoping it gets better...
The idea is to have enough harvest to store some for the winter and participate in plant a row for the hungry...

I also started seedlings but they did not survive the transplant :(

OHR
05-18-2012, 11:33 PM
hello ladies :) I am gardening as well and so far there has been some drama!!
Someone decided to remove all the plants from my plot and I was so furious. That happened 2 weeks ago and I was really sad as I planted heirloom seeds. When I spoke to the garden manager, he told me that he would investigate.
I decided to plant again and was out of town. I came back on Tuesday and that person had removed the sign with my name and other plants...
I asked for a refund as I don't want to stress out about that all summer. It is so disappointing as I worked so hard..

My other plots s are doing great! I have potatoes, beets, carrots, cucumbers, flowers etc..
The eggplant is not doing well though....I am hoping it gets better...
The idea is to have enough harvest to store some for the winter and participate in plant a row for the hungry...

I also started seedlings but they did not survive the transplant :(
http://www.nurse-anesthesia.org/images/smilies/smilies2/mad2.gifthat's messed up, rede

Lockolatte
05-19-2012, 12:40 AM
I would have been so heated Redecouverte! OMG, some people are so inconsiderate and mean spirited!
We have been having a lot of rain...about 1 and 1/3 inches yesterday. My new lettuce seedings are thriving and I'm really excited that my gourd seeds have sprouted!! Hahaha, it sounds so funny to be excited about something so small. Tomorrow I will plant my seed potatoes. I guess they have scabbed over enough. I wonder how deep do I need to bury them. Do you all know?

Edited to add video explaining how to grow a container of potatoes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-s1U-W510k#

redecouverte
05-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Thank you ladies for your sympathy. I ended up receiving a refund and another plot for free. I am learning to forgive and move on...

Yay for the rain locklatte. It has been so warm here

creativity
05-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Red so sorry with what happened but I am glad you got another plot and got your money back to boot! Yeah! I am sure your next plot will be fabulous. Sorry you lost all your hard work though.

Lock--I have seen a few more videos about potaotoes. Can you grow them in the summer? I thought it was a cold crop. And I have some lettuces too. I am keeping them on the screen porch because I think the sun will wilt the poor plant to death.

I did alot of transfering of seedlings over to larger pots and notice some of my larger plants need to be repotted. Poor things are almost root bound. No wonder it seemed it looked like they stopped growing.

Lockolatte
05-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Red so sorry with what happened but I am glad you got another plot and got your money back to boot! Yeah! I am sure your next plot will be fabulous. Sorry you lost all your hard work though.

Lock--I have seen a few more videos about potaotoes. Can you grow them in the summer? I thought it was a cold crop. And I have some lettuces too. I am keeping them on the screen porch because I think the sun will wilt the poor plant to death.

I did alot of transfering of seedlings over to larger pots and notice some of my larger plants need to be repotted. Poor things are almost root bound. No wonder it seemed it looked like they stopped growing.

I really don't know, but I'm going to try.:o I read they love the cool weather so mine might be an exercise in futility.

Re: Potboundedness: I have had this problem also so now I go for big pots for things like cukes and tomatoes. I need to put my peppers in the earthboxes and get rid of the collards.

Lettuce will do ok as long as they are not in full blast sun and heat all day. My plants get partial sun so they are ok.

thePerfectFool
05-22-2012, 01:51 AM
I'm back finally :-)) I'm sorry I took so long to get the pics up; my phone doesn't like hooking up to my computer. I put them all on my fotki (http://public.fotki.com/blondiedread/gardening-and-such/) so I don't take up too much room here.

redecouverte, i'm sorry about your plant thieves. Is container planting at your home an option?

All of you should frequent your local farmer's market if you don't already. I got half a shopping bag full of broccoli for $3, and it's DELICIOUS!! I used a bunch of it for broccoli, chicken, rice casserole this evening, and it's a hit already. I also got blueberries, raspberries, and plums for a good price. We're making smoothies with them tonight :D

Michele4905
05-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Of course it's going to raining everyday this week in NYC. So much for my plants getting much needed sun.

creativity
05-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Please let us know the progress of your potatoes Lock. I really want to try some later in the season. And you are right about cucumbers and tomatoes.. sheesh! I had to move my cucumber into a much larger container. I had a rubbermaid container used for storage and it was perfect. I cleaned it out, inserted holes at the bottom. Instant larger container! Hopefully I didn't shock the poor plant.

Sorry for so much rain Michele.

Oh and do yall know if peppers have huge root systems? My jalepano is doing well but I am wondering if I need to repot it.

TPF-- Your plants look great and those garden beds are fab! So exciting!

creativity
05-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Oh Lock thanks for the update on the lettuce.. yes it seems my little seedlings do seem to like a dose of sun.

A few pics....

Michele4905
05-24-2012, 03:53 AM
I just bought compost tea bags from Amazon. I just realized that I never fertilized my plants!!!:huh:

Lockolatte
05-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Oh Lock thanks for the update on the lettuce.. yes it seems my little seedlings do seem to like a dose of sun.

A few pics....

Very, very nice creativity! About the peppers: I try to put my stuff in the biggest container I can because that get pot bound quickly. I really don't worry about lettuce though. It goes in the small containers.

OHR
05-24-2012, 11:48 AM
I haven't been updating my garden progress because of family stuff........but I wanted to announce my 2nd attempt at growing celery. They are amazingly easy to grow and I'm hoping I can get a 2nd seasons' growth from them, just as I did last year. I"m gonna try containers this time around....I hope I can find free ones at the garden centers!

creativity
05-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks Lock! Going to put the beans out in the yard soon (in containers) and hopefully I will work on getting the sunflowers in the yard too. I hear you on using the largest containers. Lesson learned--will repot soon.

I started a compost pile hopefully soon I can make teas so supplement my plants. Michele what kind of tea did you buy?

OHR hopefully things will get better. Thats great about the celery. Post pics when you can.

Lockolatte
05-31-2012, 02:15 AM
We've been getting so much rain... At least 3 inches since the weekend. What kind of weather are you all having?

OHR
05-31-2012, 03:21 AM
Welp, Thursday it's gonna be partly cloudy/rain and 76 degrees, Friday, rain and 63. Major cooling down at night. I like it! Free water is always good(:-)

In other news, the deer chewed the tops off my tomato plants...but I ain't afeared! DH and I sprinkled some of that deer repellent today...we'll have to put more down if we get the anticipated downpours.

creativity
05-31-2012, 02:06 PM
We have been getting short bursts of rain but it doesn't last long. I've been busy working my parttime job these past few days and had to ignore my plants. Today I go out before work and notice they have grown like mad! Whoo hoo!

OHR--yes.. love the free water.

And I use the bamboo growing in my yard for stakes for my plants. Matter of fact I really need to rig up something for my cucumbers because all of a sudden they have really taken off.:p Hopefully will take pics soon.

OHR
06-01-2012, 01:12 AM
After workout class, I came home to weed the garden...different kinda weeds this year. Most of them are shallow rooted, which is a good thing! Tonight we're supposed to get rain and it will last through Friday morning. 'Tis good.

Collards look good...tomatoes have maybe 6 green tomatoes between 2 plants, green beans have germinated, pickle cucumbers have erupted...all good. All I wanna know is why...WHY are my marigolds lookin' peaked?

OHR
06-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Matter of fact I really need to rig up something for my cucumbers because all of a sudden they have really taken off.
Mine too!! I did spray w/a fungicide this evening...I don't want to lose any of the vines to that danged cucumber beetle. I dodged it last year because I was on top of my sprays.

Anybody notice more honeybees this season? I saw 1 today...encouraging.

Lockolatte
06-01-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm so happy to hear that your gardens are thriving Creativity and OHR! It's all good with the rain we've been getting. I need to post the pictures of the kids garden at school. They have gladiolas, marigolds, vinca, crab grass, and FIRE ANTS! I want to weed it but I ain't getting toe up!

Michele4905
06-01-2012, 05:06 AM
Oh sorry, Creativity. I bought this kind of compost tea (http://www.amazon.com/Bus-Brew-Biodynamic-Compost-Bags/dp/B003WIL2OK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338526985&sr=8-3)

The love of my life, Michelle Obama, has a new book out about gardening. The proceeds go to community gardens around the country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpo0qh2yXks

creativity
06-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks Lock! And did you say toe up? LOL LOL! (I haven't heard that in awhile)

OHR--Cool your cucumbers are growing too. What type of fugicide do you use? *researches cucumber beetle

Michele--Thanks hope you like it--give us a review! I started my compost piles with hopes to make my own teas. I have lots of trees in my yard soI need to take advantage of them. Thanks for the video link. Our first lady is the shizzle!

I got an organic heirloom tomato plant (I forget which kind) from a local nursery... that is the funniest looking plant. Its like a bush almost. Poor thing is not doing too well. I have moved it a few times but it seems it does not like being anywear except on my screen porch. Maybe I will try to leave it there and see if it takes off.

OHR
06-01-2012, 04:10 PM
OHR--Cool your cucumbers are growing too. What type of fugicide do you use? *researches cucumber beetle
This isn't the kind that I use, but it's very similar. It's for organic gardens. You'll want to be diligent using this...begin using it as soon as you see the vines appear...follow bottle directions. Once those buggers make their way into your vines, it takes a miracle to revive your cucumber/squash plants.
http://www.usorchidsupplies.com/149-205-large/safer-3-in-1-garden-spray.jpg "This is the only organic insecticide, miticide and fungicide combination on the market! This product eliminates mites and insects, as well as a large number of plant Multipurpose formula makes garden care simple and easy! Kills garden insects and mites and controls fungal diseases. Patented formula helps reduce injury to most plants."

I got an organic heirloom tomato plant (I forget which kind) from a local nursery... that is the funniest looking plant. Its like a bush almost. Poor thing is not doing too well. I have moved it a few times but it seems it does not like being anywear except on my screen porch. Maybe I will try to leave it there and see if it takes off.
I hope you have good luck w/your heirloom tomatoes. I've tried them and haven't had any luck :(

creativity
06-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks so much OHR for the fungicide info. And glad to know its the plant not me. LOL

creativity
06-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks so much OHR for the fungicide info. And glad to know its the plant not me. LOL

OHR
06-03-2012, 06:38 PM
:-))...and no, I do not use pork when cooking my greens!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1K5V1EeySM&feature=related

redecouverte
06-03-2012, 07:35 PM
hello ladies :) I have a quick question in regards to coffee grounds and gardening. I went to Starbucks earlier and they had free bags of ground coffee that you can use in the garden. Have you used coffee grounds in your garden? If yes, how ?
Thanks

OHR
06-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Just till the grounds directly into the soil. That's it! you'll find that the soil retains water a bit better too.

(:-)Every Starbucks offers free coffee grounds...it's a good idea to call the day before, so that they will set them aside for you.

Lockolatte
06-03-2012, 11:15 PM
I sprayed my garden with some anti bug stuff yesterday too. I kept seeing this black beetle with 2 red stripes around my garden and I don't want to take any chances. I got some kind of organic spray and I didn't see any more today.

creativity
06-04-2012, 01:11 PM
I keep seeing a reddish looking beetle that will come out of the dirt in some of my containers when I water my plants. How in the heck do I control them if they are in the soil. Somebody help me!

redecouverte
06-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Just till the grounds directly into the soil. That's it! you'll find that the soil retains water a bit better too.

(:-)Every Starbucks offers free coffee grounds...it's a good idea to call the day before, so that they will set them aside for you.
thank you(:-)

Lockolatte
06-05-2012, 01:40 AM
I keep seeing a reddish looking beetle that will come out of the dirt in some of my containers when I water my plants. How in the heck do I control them if they are in the soil. Somebody help me!

You can use something organic. Here is a link.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7693195_controlling-beetles-vegetable-garden-soil.html

creativity
06-05-2012, 03:52 AM
LOL Lock.... I wonder if the garlic spray will make them go away if I pour it in the soil? Thanks for the link... checking it out.

OHR
06-05-2012, 02:59 PM
^I tried the garlic spray last season...didn't give me the results I wanted.

creativity
06-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Sigh... thanks OHR. I see...I guess I need to go out and buy something. I don't those suckers to destroy my plants.

My squash has so many flowers on it. Its insane! I gave coworkers some basil plants today I started from seed. They were so excited to receive them.

OHR
06-05-2012, 03:12 PM
^Garlic spray may work for you!! It's worth a try.

My squash has flowers on it too and has started to vine. Make sure you spray fungicide on it, if the vines are present.

I need to scour the stores for more tomato cages...wish me luck!

creativity
06-05-2012, 03:18 PM
I will try. And thanks for the tip to spray the vines OHR (cucumber/squash). All this time I am concentrating on the darn leaves! Yall, I don't know nothing bout this here gardenin' but imma learn ya heah! I just saw a youtube clip on that grub that gets in squash Ewwwwww!!!!!!!!!!! So scary! I don't want to see any of that!

Good luck on finding the cages. did you try Home Depot? I just have a bamboo stick on my plants.Will the cages hold the outbranching stems better? Is it necessary?

OHR
06-05-2012, 03:26 PM
^re:squash grub. Yep....and once those critters do their damage, it's over. Now, once...ONCE I was able to save a squash vine, but it was a temporary fix.

re: bamboo sticks. Some tomato varieties branch out more. For those, you'll want cages. I do both cages and staking, though. If the plant gets heavy with fruit, you'll want to put in another stake to support the weight.

Tomato tip #1: Pinch off the suckers so it forces the plant to fruit rather than make more leaves. This video is nice, short and to the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxj_O72SgZU

creativity
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Sigh.. so scared about the grubs. I don't want nobody grubbing on my squash but me! lol

Thanks for the tips on the tomato plant. I did a little research on that before and I pinched some suckers the other day. It seems like my planted picked up a bit after that too. Thanks OHR.

And yes my yellow tomato branches out alot.. thick branches. I can see now it needs more support. Hopefully the 5 sets of flowers I see on it actually fruit. That would be awesome!

Michele4905
06-07-2012, 11:47 PM
I went to the nursery today and went crazy!

I bought fifteen dollars worth of sweet peppers! I bought something called Revolution (green), Ivory (yellow-whitish) and California something (green too). My Mom is a little concerned that they are all planted too close together but *shrugs*. I don't have a lot of space for sun. I hope it all works out. Of course I broke one of the stems of the Ivory pepper when trying to take it out the container. -_-

I also am going to try sweet basil again. I'm hesitant to put it in a container again after the last disaster. Any suggestions as to what I did wrong? Too much soil? Poor soil? Not enough drainage?

OHR
06-08-2012, 03:13 AM
I planted some leek, rutabaga and more green bean seeds this evening. I've also planted mustard seeds in a container on the deck.

@ Michele: I've never tried growing herbs...hope someone can offer suggestions.

empowered
06-08-2012, 01:22 PM
I have been experimenting with suckering my tomato plants. I sucker all but three of my indeterminate tomato plants to see if there is a difference in the fruit they produce. All of the plants are planted in the same area (I grew them in individual pots last year) so, they are getting the same treatment of nutrients. I'll let you all know of my findings in a few weeks.

My strawberries have been doing amazing! This is there second year and they are producing large fruit. My children picked a couple yesterday and we made individual strawberry shortcakes. My bush beans have been doing well. They haven't flowered yet, because they are still rather young, but they have nice healthy looking leaves. BTW: I planted 8 pole beans, which are doing well.

Also, my hydrangeas are doing just fine. I never prune them, they just take on it's own shape and come back better every year. Pics will soon follow.

Happy Gardening!

creativity
06-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Michele--what happened to your basil last time? Mine is doing okay. Its in containers too and I started them from seed. Had so many I gave away some to coworkers and friends.

OHR--where are you getting all your cool veggie plants/or seeds? I need to venture out thats for sure.

empowered-- Are you growing your tomatoes in containers again? COngrats on the strawberries! Yum

OHR
06-08-2012, 02:02 PM
OHR--where are you getting all your cool veggie plants/or seeds? I need to venture out thats for sure.
Just for the heck of it, I stopped by a specialty gardening store on Wed. All the seeds were 33% off...maybe I'll roll by again today:DI think you should find cool weather seeds without a problem, creativity

creativity
06-08-2012, 02:45 PM
^Thanks OHR.. I really want to try some cool weather on my screen porch. Maybe they will do well if I shade them a bit.

OHR
06-08-2012, 03:06 PM
^it's worth a shot! Especially when garden centers need to move the cool weather merchandise. Oh, almost forgot...my 'impulse buy'--->2 LED lights to stick inside flower pots.

Michele4905
06-08-2012, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=creativity;2686015]Michele--what happened to your basil last time? Mine is doing okay. Its in containers too and I started them from seed. Had so many I gave away some to coworkers and friends.

I bought the plant and it is very full. Last time it just died. :(

I think it may have diseased but my thyme is in a container too and my father doesn't think it's doing as good as it should.

empowered
06-08-2012, 06:24 PM
@creativity- I have all the tomato plants in ground this year. They are planted with a couple of pole beans.

@Michele4905- Those peppers sound yummy. I planted 1 green and 1 yellow pepper plant in there own containers and got pretty good results. I also had basil last year and I noticed that after a hard rain they withered. My guess was too much water. Other than that, they grew like crazy.

@OHR-I still have plenty of cool weather seeds leftover. I don't think I am going to do anything new, I'll just finish off what I have and start new next year.

creativity
06-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Oh I see Michele--I am sure this time will be better.As empowered noted about being too wet--do you think you are overwatering?

Oh cool empowered.I have 3 cherry tomato plants (1 to be given away) I most likely need to put in the ground. I started them from seeds and they have really shot off. I think I will try to put them in the ground this weekend. Thanks for the idea. I have pole beans started but I think I will copy you and plant more. Are they companion plants?

OHR
06-09-2012, 02:22 PM
http://www.orchidweb.com/images/Fungicide3M.jpgcontains neem oil.

creativity
06-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks OHR--Will look for that spray.

My cucumber plant on one side had powery mildew badly. I just pulled the whole vine out. I have other vines in the same pot and I hope they are not affected since all the rain yesterday. Its sad I had to pull out the vine but I noticed the base and it was really white and yuck looking. Sad too cause every inch of the vine had tons of flowers on it.

I got some collards too. I am going to see what happens in this heat. I have them on the screen porch right now.

OHR
06-11-2012, 02:56 PM
My cucumber plant on one side had powery mildew badly. I just pulled the whole vine out. I have other vines in the same pot and I hope they are not affected since all the rain yesterday. Its sad I had to pull out the vine but I noticed the base and it was really white and yuck looking. Sad too cause every inch of the vine had tons of flowers on it.
:(Yeah, that powdery mildew is sneaky. Good luck with the others.

ETA: On Saturday I snagged a large cactus plant at 80% off. Only paid @ 2.80 for it. ;)

empowered
06-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Baby tomato on plant I did not prune. There are a few more coming in.
http://i47.tinypic.com/2aj9dts.jpg

Pole beans and bush beans in the back.
http://i48.tinypic.com/351cmiu.jpg

Strawberries!
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mmsroz.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of my hydrangea. I'll do it next time.

@creativity- Yes, tomato and beans are companion plants.

Happy Gardening!

Michele4905
06-11-2012, 05:33 PM
So my broccoli is thoroughly confusing me. I have one plant that is flourishing and is perfectly green in the middle.

Then there are two that are light green/ brownish. I think they bolted early but I can't find a lot of information regarding that. I worry that they have become diseased or something. :(

redecouverte
06-12-2012, 12:36 AM
I love your garden empowered!! Thank you for sharing the info about companion planting :)

thePerfectFool
06-12-2012, 02:37 AM
I'm baaack! Congrats on all the success, ladies :D I don't have much to report besides the apartment kids repeatedly knocking over my rosemary and ripping the leaves off my aloe plant. I think I'm out of the gardening business unless our new apartment balcony has northern exposure :crosses fingers:

creativity
06-12-2012, 02:45 AM
OHR--yeah it is. I am peeking under the leaves of the other vines all the time.

Empowered thanks for the info and great pics!

tPF--Oh no. Darn silly kids. I hope you will still be able to have some kind of plant though.

My other cucumber plant loved the rain yesterday.

creativity
06-12-2012, 02:49 AM
So my broccoli is thoroughly confusing me. I have one plant that is flourishing and is perfectly green in the middle.

Then there are two that are light green/ brownish. I think they bolted early but I can't find a lot of information regarding that. I worry that they have become diseased or something. :(

Oh no...I can't advise any help but I hope you find the answer for your broccoli.

OHR
06-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Deer have been back eating my tomato vines. No, they didn't touch the green tomatoes [prob. because they aren't ripe yet!] *kicks can* I'm gonna pull out my garden netting later today...the challenge [again] is how to drape it over without it becoming entangled in the vines.

Weatherman says no rain for the next 7 days....welp back to watering...

Went to my housing development's FB page today. Some of our neighbors saw a coyote in her yard that had killed a fawn....lawdT.

creativity
06-13-2012, 06:52 PM
OHR---Deer eat tomato vines? What?

Yeah that rain was really good for the plants. Wonders how much my water bill will go up this month.

Yikes a coyote? Oh my...

OHR
06-13-2012, 07:59 PM
OHR---Deer eat tomato vines? What?
Girl, yes. They like the tender shoots. Don't care for collards, though :-))

Yeah that rain was really good for the plants. Wonders how much my water bill will go up this month.
Girl. {o

Yikes a coyote? Oh my...
Yeah...they are making a reappearance 'round these parts. I saw a fox once on the way home...it was in a field of sheep.

creativity
06-14-2012, 01:30 PM
A fox and coyote? Where in the world are you Bugs Bunny Land? Sheesh! Yall be careful out there. My goodness.

Oh.. I have a new baby. A squash!

OHR
06-14-2012, 01:37 PM
A fox and coyote? Where in the world are you Bugs Bunny Land? Sheesh! Yall be careful out there. My goodness.
My city is heavily wooded, so we get all kinds of critters. There's a large park maybe 5 mins away from me and a river flows near my house. Last night, I put up netting around my tomato and cucumber plants. I spied a pile of deer poop near the leek I planted :(o)
OH! I bought a small compost bin from Lowe's! DH says I'm a designer recycler...whatevah

Oh.. I have a new baby. A squash!
yAy! Now's the time we'll be getting lots of those...what plans do you have for yours?

I'm gonna make pickles just like last year.

creativity
06-14-2012, 01:44 PM
^Wow. I bet its beautiful. You are right in the thick of nature...very cool. Glad you got the netting done. Dang pretty deer eating up all your hard work. Sheesh!

I need to put my compost somewhere I guess. Right now its just out in the yard in a few piles. Will work on that this weekend.

If the squash does well I will have to find some recipes besides the only thing I know how to do with is it grill or sautee it. I suppose some will be going to friends/family. I only have two plants going so I'm not sure how much that will yield. What do you do with your squash? My cucumbers though are going pretty well (I included one for lunch today). I hope to pickle mine too. I remember your post from last year. Hopefully the dill I am growing will be big enough to use too. My french beans are picking up too... lots of flowers! I need to figure out how to contain them.

OHR
06-14-2012, 01:57 PM
^re: squash. Yeah, I do the same with mine. I need to checkout allrecipes.com for ideas.

re: compost. So you have a bin? I'm gonna set up my bin on a concrete slab located next to my garden.

creativity
06-14-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't have a bin for my compost yet. I just have it in a pile in the yard--further in the back. I'm trying not to spend much money. I did see a youtube of a guy who has his compost in a like heavy duty chicken wire in like a standing cylinder in the yard. I will most likely do something like that.

creativity
06-14-2012, 04:14 PM
OHR--This is guy I was talking about for the composting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-JqApyMaP4&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLYX8q4_UWHuUhzMq64t0E5A

empowered
06-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Dang OHR! The only critter trouble I had was with birds. I can't even begin to imagine deer eating my crops. I think I would have a fit. I hope the netting does the trick.

@creativity-your cucumbers and squash look so yummy already!

creativity
06-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks empowered. I am actually having the cucumber for lunch today. So crispy, fresh and delicious!

Yeah! My manager is gifting me tomato cages he has in storage. He is purchasing some high tech Texas made cages for his tomatoes (they are 7 ft tall) and wants to get rid of his old ones. I am gonna put those joints to good use! WHoo hoo! If my beans continue to grow well I can use those cages for them.

creativity
06-15-2012, 01:55 PM
If you like green onions and want to see something cool do this. Leave some of the white part of the onion on w/the roots. Stick them in dirt and water.... the green will grow back. There was no green on these onions about 4-5 days ago.

ChandraNH
06-15-2012, 02:08 PM
If the squash you're growing is zucchini , we cube or slice it up with onions, peppers, eggplant, black olives and sliced Italian sausage and bake for 30 minutes until sausage is cooked and veggies are tender crisp. We eat this once a week in the summer.

You can also stuff and fry squash blossoms (the blossoms go for a lot at upscale grocery stores)

So far I've just done my fruit trees, cantaloupe , pepper, basil and dill plants. Getting out today to buy some pickling cuke plants, a tomato plant, and maybe some onion starters.

creativity
06-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks alot CHandra. I forgot squash blossoms are edible.I will have to try it. And your dish sounds delicious. Seems like you have your hands full with your gardening and thats a cool thing.

ChandraNH
06-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Just got back from Lowe's. picked up two pickling cucumber plants and they had all their container berry plants for 25% off, so picked up two blackberry plants for 7.50 each after discount. they also had raspberry, strawberry, concord grape (same prices as blackberry) and a couple of blueberry plants (with berries on them) for 39.00 before discount.

will probably grab two raspberry plants later on.

went inside lowe's and they had canning stuff in the garden area. <sigh> so I picked up canning jars, labels, a book on canning and some implements. going to can some blueberries that were on sale at the grocery store for 1.49 per pint, this weekend, to make jam. if all goes well (my first time canning) I'm going to be on the prowl for fruit on sale all summer to make jam/jelly/butters.

I'm only 43 this year and cannot wait to retire, I'll spend all day and all my money split between travel and gardening (my mom is retiring this year and she is going to see if she can start a community garden in her association and I'm going to see if she'd want to start one at the local elementary school as well. I think gardening is good for kids, especially kids of color, to learn self-reliance).

empowered
06-19-2012, 05:04 PM
I hear you over there ChandraNH. You go wit' your bad self. I did a little research on edible flowers. I would like to give them a try next season.

The children gave their dad a baby cucumber plant for father's day. They had been growing it at their before & after school program. We'll see how it does.

Anyone heard of strawberry season being over already because of the early warm weather? My plants seem to be doing fine right now. Anyone noticing their strawberry plants looking a little spent?

OHR
06-19-2012, 05:29 PM
empowered: yAy on the baby cucumber gift!

DH put my compost bin together this morning. Ya'll shoulda seen me beggin' for coffee grounds just now. I have 4 Starbucks within 10 mins. of my house, so I'm supplied! One indy coffee shop owner gave me one of these--->:huh:when I asked for some LOL

ChandraNH
06-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Darn it. I want a compost bin too

Michele4905
06-20-2012, 11:09 PM
I harvested one of my broccoli plants yesterday! I ate it right away. I sauteed it w/ a large carrot and it was delicious! So far only one more is close to being ready for harvest. The rest are looking a hot mess.

I cut two heads off because they were diseased. I hope they can still grow something. Broccoli is very hard, next time I'll try in the fall.

creativity
06-24-2012, 06:57 AM
Great going Michele. Its wonderful eating what you grow. Sorry about the other plants not doing well. You win and lose some.

I think I will try some broccoli too. I really would like to start my own seedlings from seed though.

empowered--Is the cucumber plant okay? That was a cute idea. My little strawberry plant is growing and trying to fruit but its mad hot here.

Chandra--wow! Go head! 43 and retiring? Wow! And yes kids would benefit greating from learning how to care for living things.

I did alot of repotting. I have been eating lots of crunchy cucumbers and had some of the butter lettuce I'm growing. It was so good. I have the lettuce on my screen porch so hopefully it will continue to do well.

WHeres Lockolatte?

OHR
06-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Choco/Locko is dealing with family matters right now.

OHR
06-24-2012, 03:29 PM
My neighbor is gonna donate green stuff to my compost bin! She has a husband and 3 kids, so they generate lots of vegetable and fruit scraps! wOOt! Pumped.

creativity
06-24-2012, 07:39 PM
THanks OHR. Will be hoping everything will be okay.

Thats great about your donation for composting. Maybe the kids will learn something too.

Lockolatte
06-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Great going Michele. Its wonderful eating what you grow. Sorry about the other plants not doing well. You win and lose some.

I think I will try some broccoli too. I really would like to start my own seedlings from seed though.

empowered--Is the cucumber plant okay? That was a cute idea. My little strawberry plant is growing and trying to fruit but its mad hot here.

Chandra--wow! Go head! 43 and retiring? Wow! And yes kids would benefit greating from learning how to care for living things.

I did alot of repotting. I have been eating lots of crunchy cucumbers and had some of the butter lettuce I'm growing. It was so good. I have the lettuce on my screen porch so hopefully it will continue to do well.

Where's Lockolatte?

I'm back. I missed you too! :)) While I was away my honey watered the garden for me and it's doing well, except the fushcia which took a tumble and burnt up and the okra has become lunch for the Japanese Beetles.

Creativity your plants look so good! It's good you have a porch to shade your plants. My onion tops are dwindling now after looking so pretty earlier.

OHR
06-28-2012, 07:37 PM
WB Choco/Lockolatte!

I've been very good with watering daily since the temps are well over 90. Tomato #2 is ripening now...still waiting for the cucumbers to get bigger...I've got plenty!

My bean vines are looking good...but no beans. It's the heat.

creativity
06-28-2012, 09:20 PM
*Waves really fast* Hey Lock! Thanks for the compliment. Your plants look AMAZING (saw them in the other thread)

I have my herbs and small plants on the porch but tomatos,cucumber,squash etc outside. Its gonna be 100 tomorrow around these parts. Get to watering everyone!

Oh the beans I have are bush beans. Duh me! LOL. But I did get some of those .20 cent seeds from Walmart and planted some blackeyes. So far they look pretty good.. not sure what will happen in the next few days with the heat though.

OHR--Looks like you will be swimming in cucumbers soon!

Lockolatte
06-29-2012, 10:49 PM
I think my cucumber plant is dying. I will have to buy some more plants because just overnight it looks jacked up!

ChandraNH
06-30-2012, 07:03 PM
This heat is killing my plants. One cucumber (pickling) bit the dust, my poor pepper plant is struggling. The only thing growing is the weeds.

Lockolatte
07-01-2012, 01:14 AM
The cucumber is still hanging in there. Maybe a shot of Miracle Grow will help it.

OHR
07-02-2012, 01:09 AM
*waves* hey ya'll!! The big storm knocked out our power for 2 days, but we have it back!!! We lost a small tree in the storm...

The rain has helped keep my veggies well watered...which also make the weeds happy too. I need to take another look at my cucumber vine to see if I need to use more spray to deter the fungus. The heat will make that come on quickly if I'm not careful.

Tomatoes are beginning to ripen.

7VeriRasta7
07-03-2012, 02:35 AM
Well ladies I was directed over here, I am in arizona and I am abut to start a huge garden in my irrigated back yard. I will be here to show the pictures and ask for support along the way. I figure I will have cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, squash, peppers, watermelon, greens , cabbage, carrots and more.....I can not wait. I am using a compose pile and I can use all the support I can get. I will also have a few potted plants as well..........

Ready to start, I am getting my soil ready now, watering and turning......

Wiz

OHR
07-03-2012, 02:45 AM
^What are the dimensions of your yard? Good that you have compost ready to go!

7VeriRasta7
07-03-2012, 03:34 AM
I am putting the garden on a quarter of a acre.....

OHR
07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
I am putting the garden on a quarter of a acre.....
Yowza! Very ambitious...you doing this alone? ;)that's a lot to tackle.

I will be here to show the pictures and ask for support along the way. I figure I will have cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, squash, peppers, watermelon, greens , cabbage, carrots
@ the bolded. Those are the veggies that I have experience with in the almost 26 years I've gardened. The soil around these parts needs heavy amending, which I do each season, which for me is a chore, but the payoff is great.
Of the bolded I've had the best luck with cucumbers, yellow squash, greens and surprisingly lettuce. Peppers have never been great for me, and I don't know why. Carrots don't grow well in this soil, unfortunately. The oppressive heat in the Midwest has squashed [hee] any string bean production. My area is under water restriction [only hand watering of shrubs and gardens allowed].
I'm guessing with the power outages in the Midwest, South and East, you may not get many responses, unfortunately. I was 2 days without power.

7VeriRasta7
07-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Aww I am sorry about the power outtages, well I am currently SAHM now on disability so I should be able to maintain and I have a few friends and my two daughters that will also be working in the garden. I am in Arizona so it is hot all the time, but I am getting soil brought in, using a compose pile that is getting built up by my community...Group Effort.....I just have the most land....

Michele4905
07-04-2012, 04:33 AM
Ladies, ladies, ladies.

I have ignored my garden for at least a week and I am terrified to see what's otu there.

I know the grass/ weeds have probably gone crazy and the 90+ heat wasn't of any help. *sigh* I've been so lazy. I have to get back to my regimen and hope too much damage wasn't made.

Lockolatte
07-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Hey ladies. I've been watering daily because we haven't had rain in I don't know when. The storms just split and go around my house. My cucumber still looks jacked up. I think it must be some kind of fungus. I've been cutting the ugly leaves off. The new leaves don't look as bad, but it doesn't seem to be growing very fast now. Everything else is doing ok. I harvested the fist of the okra yesterday and I've gotten a few chocolate cherry and regular cherry tomatoes.

Wizdom, your garden is going to be huge! I can't wait to see your pictures. :)

OHR
07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Found out Monday night that my compost bin had been moved by Friday's storm. Not moved very far, but enough for some of the compost to come out the bottom. Hubby is going to finally tackle the fallen tree in back today.

I'm gonna pick some cucumbers and tomatoes today...and probably cut down the collards. Despite the horrific winds and rains, my garden has done very well this year.

creativity
07-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Goodluck Wizdom! Gardening is addicting and lots of work.

OHR-- You think your husband could get that fallen tree grinded for you? It makes great ground cover for your garden (in time)

Lock--My cucumbers were doing really well too and then all of a sudden they got lots of yellow leaves and sad looking. The heat burned the flower blooms too. I didn't see powery mildew but I did kind of notice a little white substance maybe aphids on the vines. Yes, I think it is some type of fungus. It produced really well for me for weeks prior. I did some pruning and I do see more green leaves appearing after a storm brought rain through. And yesterday I noticed new flowers. Maybe its just a phase it goes through. I will do more pruning to help it along as well.

Michele--Hope the garden held up!

I got more seeds at my local grocery store (Kroger)yesterday. They are Burpee seeds and they were selling them for 1.00! Original prices ran $1.79-2.50. I got spinach, pickling cucumbers, two kinds of beans.

OHR
07-05-2012, 06:01 PM
OHR-- You think your husband could get that fallen tree grinded for you? It makes great ground cover for your garden (in time)
DH and our farmer neighbor determined that it could be saved, so they spent time placing back up and staking it. DH and I are taking turns watering the roots. *crosses fingers*

Lock--My cucumbers were doing really well too and then all of a sudden they got lots of yellow leaves and sad looking. The heat burned the flower blooms too. I didn't see powery mildew but I did kind of notice a little white substance maybe aphids on the vines. Yes, I think it is some type of fungus. It produced really well for me for weeks prior. I did some pruning and I do see more green leaves appearing after a storm brought rain through. And yesterday I noticed new flowers. Maybe its just a phase it goes through. I will do more pruning to help it along as well.
Just keep a close eye on the vines. I saw similar things on 2 vines...this heat isn't making growing easy. I did buy more spray yesterday, 'cause I'll be doggoned that I'm gonna lose any vines.

By the way, I cold-packed some cucumbers yesterday and froze some more collards.

Lockolatte
07-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Hey yall. I cut some more leaves off the cuke today. I lost some baby gourds due to blossom rot also. This heat is no joke. The tomatoes seem to be doing ok (waves spirit fingers over plants).

creativity
07-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Oh Dang OHR.. I didn't even think to save the tree. Cool!

I need to get that spray you mentioned before. I never went out to get it. I hope it helps my vines too.

Great on you saving that food! Do you quick cook your collards first before freezing? School me pls!

Lockolatte
07-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Here is some pretty good information that I was reading about tomato problems:
http://www.squidoo.com/10-tomato-plant-problems

creativity
07-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks for that link Lock. I checked it out last night. After the rain here I noticed my bottom leaves on my big beautiful tomato plant has early blight! I will get something for it today. Sigh....

OHR
07-06-2012, 04:00 PM
I need to get that spray you mentioned before. I never went out to get it. I hope it helps my vines too.
Get that spray! I'm tellin' you, it's organic and effective. *crosses fangers*

Great on you saving that food! School me pls!
For years, I'd wash them in the sink, rinse, chop up, then blanch, then throw in an ice bath, then drain, then bag and freeze.....until:

http://busterbucks.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Preserve-Your-Garden-Harvest----Freezing-Greens (http://busterbucks.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Preserve-Your-Garden-Harvest----Freezing-Greens)

I've done this twice and absolutely LOVE how easy this is!! I've got an enormous stockpot that I use for this purpose. I'm never gonna do it the old fashioned way again.

creativity
07-06-2012, 04:55 PM
^Thank you kindly My dear OHR!

empowered
07-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Hello everyone!

Sounds like things have really taken off for everyone. Remember the experiment with the tomato plants that I am doing? In case you forgot, it involved not suckering three of my indeterminate plants. I found out that the tomato plants that I suckered are producing less fruit, but the tomatoes are maturing faster than the other plants. The tomato plants that I am just leaving alone have, of course, grown many branches and have many fruit on each branch. However, the fruit is taking longer to mature. The suckered plants are flowering well, but there just aren't as many tomatoes compared to the plants that I am not suckering. The tomato size and taste are the same for all of the plants. I hope that information helps those who had questions about suckering tomato plants. I will continue with my experiment right up until the last ripe tomato.

I found out the kind of perennial plant that my grandmother gave me. It's called "Dr. Huey's Rose" and it was originally used as a root stock. Also, the hubby's cucumber plants are doing well...they are getting big. I have been harvesting green beans like crazy. Maybe because I planted 5 bush bean types and 7 pole beans. They had a slight case of powdery mildew, but I nipped that in the bud with a mixture of baking soda, water, and a couple of drops of dish washing liquid. All of the strawberry plants are done for the year. The children harvested beets last week. I still can't get them to eat them. So, they just had a yummy salad using the tops and the hubby and I ate the root. Hmm...let me see what else has been happening...I think that's it. It has been a while since I've been on. I am actually getting ready for the fall season. Yep. I think I will be ready to break out the carrot, broccoli, turnip seeds and other hardy vegetable seeds.

Happy Gardening!

OHR
07-13-2012, 03:42 PM
I found out that the tomato plants that I suckered are producing less fruit, but the tomatoes are maturing faster than the other plants. The tomato plants that I am just leaving alone have, of course, grown many branches and have many fruit on each branch. However, the fruit is taking longer to mature. The suckered plants are flowering well, but there just aren't as many tomatoes compared to the plants that I am not suckering.

Interesting! For me, the suckered tomato plants are exploding lots of blossoms and tomatoes...the tomatoes are taking longer to turn red, though. And these are supposed to be the Early Girl variety *shrugs*

Maybe because I planted 5 bush bean types and 7 pole beans. They had a slight case of powdery mildew, but I nipped that in the bud with a mixture of baking soda, water, and a couple of drops of dish washing liquid.
Hmmmm....what concentration of baking soda/water/dish soap did you use? How often did you spray?

I am actually getting ready for the fall season. Yep. I think I will be ready to break out the carrot, broccoli, turnip seeds and other hardy vegetable seeds.
I'm gonna rip out my bean vines...they have not given me ONE bean this year. It's just been too hot for the blossoms to set. :( I've got PLENTY of leftover collard/mustard/turnip seeds, so I'm gonna plant those. When do you plan to plant your fall veggies?

empowered
07-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Hey OHR.

Maybe the type of tomato could cause the differences??? I am growing Big Boy's.

For the spray, I used 1 gallon of water and a tablespoon of baking soda and dish liquid. I sprayed once a week during the evening to prevent the leaves from burning. Make sure to spray only the leaves. I made sure the top of the leaves and underneath of them were sprayed. I hear you can also use milk diluted with water, but I haven't tried that before. I remember one year growing beans, I got really nice looking leaves. They were so nice and lush, but got no beans. I later found out that my soil was too rich. So, I did what you call 'root pruning.' I just took my trowel and jabbed it in the dirt a number of times. I did this about 5 inches away from the bean plants. In about 2 weeks or so, the plants began to flower and grow beans.

I'm going to start planting in the middle of August. I'm not going to start my spinach until the beginning of September.

I hope that information helps.

OHR
07-13-2012, 09:26 PM
For the spray, I used 1 gallon of water and a tablespoon of baking soda and dish liquid. I sprayed once a week during the evening to prevent the leaves from burning. Make sure to spray only the leaves.
But the mildew can be on the stems as well...so what do you do?

I remember one year growing beans, I got really nice looking leaves. They were so nice and lush, but got no beans. I later found out that my soil was too rich. So, I did what you call 'root pruning.' I just took my trowel and jabbed it in the dirt a number of times. I did this about 5 inches away from the bean plants. In about 2 weeks or so, the plants began to flower and grow beans.
*scratches head* Soil too rich?!? Root pruning? What the heck, I'll do that tonight when it's cooler.

I'm going to start planting in the middle of August. I'm not going to start my spinach until the beginning of September.
I hope that information helps.
This does help, empowered! Thanks so much.

Almost forgot, the plastic netting that I"ve placed over my tomato and cucumber plants are deterring the deer. This morning, I found 1 tomato branch [that had been sticking out the netting] that had been chewed off laying on the grass, but my tomatoes were intact.

Lockolatte
07-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Empowered you have a lot of good info. I didn't know any of that stuff because I'm still a novice.

OHR you already saw this but this is for the rest of you ladies.
http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/51063/2284367450086871397S500x500Q85.jpg

I hate that this snake got tangled in the my strawberry netting and died. I do know he was over there trying to get my toads that hang out in the garden area.....Oh well that is one of the draw backs of using netting.

We are finally getting some rain so my plants are doing a bit better. They were really suffering during those 100 degree weeks. My gourds suffered from blossom end rot and all had to be cut off. The cuke leaves were so jacked up (yellow) and now the new leaves are coming in full and green. The big tomatoes are taking forever to ripen!!! What do I need to do? The cherries are doing ok through all the heat. I did have a few pinworms to destroy a couple of my big tomatoes and squirrels (I assume) knocked down a couple large green ones. I think the animals just wanted moisture because it was so dry and HOT. :o

OHR
07-15-2012, 07:33 PM

OHR
07-15-2012, 07:36 PM
more!
2259 hosta in bloom.

2260 asparagus fronds

OHR
07-15-2012, 07:39 PM
2261 lonely sunflower

Lockolatte
07-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Your garden is fantastic Ohio Rhonda! :D

creativity
07-16-2012, 01:46 PM
So thats what OHR means? I've been wondering...lol and good looking plant pics.

Empowered--great info thanks.

Lock--Good Lawd that snake! I would have passed out I swear I would have.

I started some seedlings on a few things too early I guess. Too excited to start Fall planting. In this heat my poor babies may die but I will try to find a cooler spot for them. I started carrot, turnip,swiss chard,spinach and bok choy.

OHR
07-16-2012, 09:01 PM
So thats what OHR means?
(:-)

I started some seedlings on a few things too early I guess. Too excited to start Fall planting. In this heat my poor babies may die but I will try to find a cooler spot for them. I started carrot, turnip,swiss chard,spinach and bok choy.
yeah...it's too hot right now. Maybe wait until mid-August to plant. I made the mistake of trying to plant leek in June...none of it came up. I'm gonna try again.

creativity
07-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks OHR! Gonna try to keep the plants in the pack until next month. Will see how that works out. Right now they are getting filtered light on my screen porch so that may save some of them.

Lockolatte
07-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Hi all! OHR I'm still waiting for you to come over............ I killed the third snake under my strawberries today! I don't mind snakes, but they are out of control in my garden. I must have hella frogs, snails, mice, AND bugs to have 3 four foot snakes within 8 days! *SMH*

OHR
07-23-2012, 01:59 AM
Hi all! OHR I'm still waiting for you to come over............ I killed the third snake under my strawberries today! I don't mind snakes, but they are out of control in my garden. I must have hella frogs, snails, mice, AND bugs to have 3 four foot snakes within 8 days! *SMH*
You must have the ideal environment for snakes!

empowered
07-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Hello all! Below are a few pics. Nothing much has been happening.

@creativity-I too got the itch and planted turnips, carrots, and broccoli yesterday. We'll see what this weather does.

The cucumbers that I have adopted.
http://i45.tinypic.com/dcdjwg.jpg

They seem to be doing ok. I have no idea what kind they are. I need to put up a trellis.
http://i49.tinypic.com/6gxuu0.jpg

These are the container herbs that the children planted. They started them in the white cups that you see and then transplanted them in to the pretty containers. Pictured are: two kinds of basil, parsley, oregano, lemon balm, and sage.
http://i45.tinypic.com/s48hza.jpg

creativity
07-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Lock you need Snake Away stat! That stuff smells awful though.

Empowered--lol! I know its like a drug. Can't get enough of planting stuff. Good luck on the new babies! My radish babies are growing fast and I started more cucumbers too. I also have some swiss chard and kale seedlings going. I will also transplant them in cups today to get them bigger. I have them towards the back of the house so they have some light. Its wonderful you have the children learning about gardening.

Lockolatte
07-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Empowered your plants look so cute! Good job :)

Creativity, we did put Snake Away down and STILL had the third snake show up. Today he put down some sulfur powder so hopefully that will be the end of the visitors. He said the workers at the feed store said people had been coming in complaining about all the snakes! I just found out today that there was a green snake in the school building last week wrapped around a table leg.

creativity
07-24-2012, 01:17 PM
^Oh wow.
Dang in the school too? Hmm... sounds like a little boy brought that joker in there. Like OHR said.. yall have the perfect conditions for all the snakes to come out and play.

creativity
08-01-2012, 03:50 PM
So how is everyones gardens coming along? I finally have okra growing! I have been eating tomatoes almost every day and have been doctoring my cucumber vines for a second life--added more soil in the container and gave them some organic fertilizer. I also started a couple more cucumber seeds. I am trying to see if they will actually fruit before it gets too cool. Good thing about having seeds is you can try lots of things and see what happens. I added organic fertilizer to alot of other pots.

My chard,broccoli,and carrot seedlings are growing and I am trying to trick these spinach seeds into sprouting on my back porch. I have some radish growing and the leaves have been growing really quickly. Oh and I got a pack of Chinese long bean (also called aspargus beans I think) I have so much to learn and its been fun.

Lockolatte
08-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Hey creativity! :D Good job with the okra....My garden is doing ok...some good, some bad. The gourds: Several vines are dying with one medium sized gourd on the vine. Tomatoes and peppers are thriving. Rosemary is doing well, basil too. Potato vines are still doing well and okra is still producing. I didn't get hardly any cukes and had to yank the vine several weeks ago. Everything is in maintenance mode which is good because I have been super busy. Good luck with your spinach. They might do ok if it is cool enough on the porch.

OHR
08-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Howdy ya'll!

My cucumber vine has wilted:(this 90 degree heat for weeks is no joke. Glad I got some decent veggies, though.

Tomato vines are exploding...they've done well this year.

Went to the hardware store today and picked up more potting soil AND peat pots to start my fall crop...collards, mustard, turnip greens; lettuce and whatever else occurs to me.

OHR
08-20-2012, 01:34 AM
Haven't started my fall planting yet...gotta get on that this week.