PDA

View Full Version : Gardening Season is here! Volume IV

creativity
08-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Hey Yall!
Empowered--How are your plants coming along? Are the bugs eating your turnip greens? Ughh!Are you using anything to prevent these critters from attacking?

Lock--The spinach is really slow but they did pop up. I moved them to the side for more light.

OHR--Did you start fall planting yet? Glad your tomato plants are doing well. Mine are doing pretty good too.

I noticed this morning some of my larger green tomatoes were removed and I don't think an animal did it. I am 6ft tall and the plant is almost eye level to me... the tomatoes were high up on the vine. So.. I'm pissed. Anyways.

Lockolatte
09-05-2012, 01:50 AM
Hey everybody! Just popping in to see what chall growing.....

OHR
09-05-2012, 03:34 AM
OHR--Did you start fall planting yet? Glad your tomato plants are doing well. Mine are doing pretty good too.
I planted my seeds just today in peat pots...mustards, cilantro, basil and lettuce. *crosses fingers*

I noticed this morning some of my larger green tomatoes were removed and I don't think an animal did it. I am 6ft tall and the plant is almost eye level to me... the tomatoes were high up on the vine. So.. I'm pissed. Anyways.
Dang. you think it was some neighbor kids?

Hey everybody! Just popping in to see what chall growing.....
^see above! My bell pepper plants are still going strong. They aren't as big as the supermarket ones, but they are big enough...still have tomatoes growing...

creativity
09-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Good for you OHR! I don't really know. I have a feeling it was a person but its all good. I was really mad at first but I guess that is what happens when you garden.

I have a few seedling starts of broccoli and brussel sprouts (inserted). I am trying to nurse them to a nice size before I put out in the raised bed I made. I know the worms and bugs and waiting for me to put them out. Alot of my kale and turnips have been eaten by bugs so I started more and neem sprayed. I also started a container of romaine and onions. Its been fun learning.

ChandraNH
09-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Doesn't that just burn you up, Creativity? Last summer someone stole all our canteloupes from the vine. My feelings are still hurt.

Food prices jumped 10% from June to July due to drought. Every one who can should be growing what they can.

creativity
09-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Yes Ma'am it sure does. I am sorry what happened to you too. Especially for cataloupes. You put all that time and effort into growing and someone just comes out and takes them? And what makes it worse is that they are probably not even ripe yet so they go to waste.

You are so right Chandra.I know I have saved alot of money just on my tomatoes alone. One seed/one plant can yield lots of food for you. I will continue to garden as long as I can. Also if you want to try some heirloom varieties Baker Creek seeds has a great selection.

Btw.. what are you growing?

ChandraNH
09-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Yesterday (yep, played hookey from work so I could go to the garden center) I picked up two green cabbage plants, one romaine lettuce plant and one broccoli. I want to plant some carrots, spinach and fennel as well.

Picked up a book that tells me how to store cool weather crops outside the fridge, so I'm going ot give that a shot this winter and I'm going to finally start my compost bin.

I'm thinking next year I'm going to put vegetable plants (things like cabbages, etc,) in my front yard as my landscaping plants, most of them are beautiful when growing (like okra, which I actually won't eat)

empowered
09-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Hey everyone! It has been a while...I've been extremely busy.

@creativity-turnip greens have been nibbled on a bit, but nothing drastic. I have actually been harvesting turnip and beet greens every week. However, something is tearing up my lettuce in one spot of the garden...not sure what it is yet. I may not even do anything about it only because the weather is getting cooler and the bugs are dying down. My carrots and broccoli are coming in nicely and I am still harvesting tomatoes. After I self-pollinated the zucchini, they started to fruit like crazy.

I am enjoying this lovely weather...can't wait for fall.

creativity
09-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Good going CHandra! Sometime you gotta play hookey for fun things! LOL! I've been getting gardening books from the library. It covers so much I don't want to give it back! I bet you if you tried fresh grown okra slightly sauteed you may like it. Its so much better than anything I've ever had. But yes, I would love to do the same thing in cleverly placing some kales or other hardy veggies in the front yard.

empowered--Maybe you can cover your lettuce w/some gardening wire? Its probably pesking squirrels. I know a guy who planted cabbage in a bed --went on vacation and the squirrels came out and ate it. He didn't realize squirrels did it until he waited one day at home and saw them.Whoever heard of squirrels eating green veggies?

Thats great about your carrots. I started some but some worm or bugs keeps eating the tops of my carrots and radishes. I mean what? The neem oil mix seems to help a bit with the bugs though but you have to keep spraying from time to time. I hope to get my broccoli and brussel sprout seedlings out in beds this weekend. I'm excited to see what happens. I have no idea what I'm doing yall. LOL.

Have fun!

empowered
09-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Hello all,

Here's a quick update...remember the cucumber plants that I told you I had adopted? Well, when they did not vine I thought they were the bush type, but when the plants grew taller than my children, I thought "alrighty we have ourselves a mystery plant." I am only 5'2" and they are taller than I am. I began to believe that they were sunflowers because they are so tall. Then, cream and reddish flowers looked like they were going to bloom. Those just fell off and it left a green bud which began to grow. Well, to make a long story short, the plants are actually okra...Yep, I have okra folks and the largest one is huge. I have never seen okra so big! I will be sure to take pics and post them tomorrow. I am going to start harvesting today.

Question:

Does anyone have any good okra recipes?

empowered
09-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Hey everyone,

Here are the okra pics. I also included a photo of butter crunch lettuce. I start the seeds anywhere I have space and transplant them in a container...would do them in ground this year, but something has been nibbling on the older lettuce.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2e3wmxs.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/6edb89.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2sb7rq0.jpg

ChandraNH
09-22-2012, 02:20 AM
Wow, those okra are giant, empowered (or are those child hands holding them?)

Just ordered my seeds for next year (I guess that's one way to pass time over the fall/winter). I'm only doing heirloom, open-pollinated, non-GMO seeds next year, so I can then dry the seeds from what grows and use those seeds the following year (seeds from hybrid and GMO grown plants won't reproduce the following year).

And I have to admit that I'm a doofus. I never realized that sunflower seeds come from sunflowers. I'm trying to talk my husband into letting me have a few chickens and a sheep. I'd be very happy living on a farm I think. My paternal grandparents had a sorta farm (more like a homestead). And had chickens, fruit trees, grapes, killed a cow and a pig each year, lots of vegetables grown. I wish I'd paid more attention when I was a kid. Back then we just complained about having to go gather eggs from the coop or shelling beans or picking up all the pecans from the ground or having to crank the ice cream maker all day.

Fennel, Sweet Florence
Oroma Tomato
Livingston's Golden Queen Tomato
Sunflower, Giant Greystripe
Black Beauty Zucchini Summer Squash
Bloomsdale Longstanding Spinach
California Wonder (Bell) Pepper
Italian Pepperoncini Pepper
Cayenne Long Red Hot Pepper
Ringmaster White Sweet Spanish Onion
Tom Thumb Butterhead Lettuce
Rouge d'Hiver Romaine Lettuce
Red Russian Kale
Christmas Pole Lima Beans
Moon and Stars Watermelon
Homemade Pickles Cucumber
Boston Pickling Cucumber
Nantes Scarlet Carrot
Charentais Cantaloupe
Glory of Enkhuizen Cabbage
Perfection Cabbage
Detroit Dark Red Beet
Red Nightfall Bean
Mortgage Lifter Tomato

OHR
09-22-2012, 02:55 AM
We're in the middle of a heavy rainstorm and my fall leaf lettuce crop is coming along nicely! The days are in the low 70's, nights around 50, so it hasn't gotten too cold yet. The mustard transplants are also doing well.

I cleared out the old bell pepper vines Tuesday...if I feel up to it, I'll clear out the rest of my garden except for the collards, which love this time of year.

empowered
09-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Hello all,

@ OHR- Yep. They belong to my 4 year old daughter.

The largest okra I harvested was soooo tough to slice, in addition, the seeds were big and brown. I proceeded to fry them anyhow and boy that particular okra sure was hard to chew! The others were slightly smaller, but very easy to slice and the seeds were small and white. Those were very tender and yummy. I know what size to harvest them now. There is more growing...I think I'll try my hand at okra and stewed tomatoes.

creativity
09-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Yeah you have to be careful with okra...too big and its not tender.

I got some brussel sprout babies at my local nursery...I may get some broccoli too just in case the ones I started from seed may not make it this year. The broccoli I started is at least 2 months old maybe and still quite small. The ones from the nursery are probably 3+ months already. Hmmm....

My lettuce is coming in nicely too and I made another raised bed this weekend.

Chandra with those non GMO seeds if you are not careful the plant can still get mixed (the next generation) together unless you protect them somehow. Like planting two different varieties of heirloom tomato plants too closely or cucumbers. A bee or the wind can easily pollinate them and the seeds from that fruit could be blended. You could get a good blend.. sometimes not.

Even though my cucumbers were hybrids I think I would still like to try and grow them again by saving the seeds. Wouldn't hurt anything to see what would happen. But its so nice looking at all the seed catalogues for next year. Gardening is fun.

Sohful1
09-27-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm jealous!!! I recently purchased a home out in the rural area of town and have found that there are a lot of wild rabbits in the neighborhood :). I will admit that they are so cute as I see them daily when I'm out walking. But, I know if I start a garden it'll be just to feed them as I've seen them in my back yard numerous times. At my previous residence we had a community garden and I grew collards and tomatoes. I was hoping to do the same here. Hopefully I'll figure something out soon. Happy gardening ladies!

creativity
09-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Sohful you can always use fencing around your veggies. Those cute little furry guys shouldn't stop you from gardening. Go for it!

OHR
09-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Did ya'll know that greens can be stir-fried? I did it with some mustard greens, onion and garlic last night! I'mma gonna try stirfrying collards this weekend.

creativity
10-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Better for you too OHR!

OHR
10-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Better for you too OHR!

I know!! Greens don't have to be smothered w/turkey or hamhocks to be delicious, as I found out. You do want to simmer them after stir frying. I added a bit of chicken stock.

empowered
10-01-2012, 04:10 PM
^^I never tried cooking my greens that way OHR. I suppose it's no different than bok choy...speaking of bok choy, I think I will try my hand at them next season.

creativity
10-02-2012, 04:11 AM
^^I have bok choy now and its a slow grower (or maybe I am just impatient). Looks pretty cool though. Empowered if you want to try some seeds now I can send you a few.

Yeah you can basically stirfry any veggie--its best to cook that way. More flavorful, texture and nutrients. I want a Wok!

OHR
10-03-2012, 12:52 AM
^^I didn't believe that I could cook them this way, but it's so easy!!! Nice, tasty and tender!! Maybe I'll do them again this weekend.

empowered
10-12-2012, 03:35 PM
^^Thanks creativity! I'll PM you.

How is everyone else doing. I will be spending this weekend planting more spinach, broccoli, lettuce, and beets. My carrots are doing well. It's amazing that I am still harvesting tomatoes, zucchini, and okra. I won a garden tool called "spray away" from a gardening website. It has a sensor that will spray a stream of water at unwanted critters. I can't wait to hook it up.

Sohful1
10-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Sohful you can always use fencing around your veggies. Those cute little furry guys shouldn't stop you from gardening. Go for it!

I actually thought about doing that but worried they may still get in. I think I'm going to give it a try as I miss growing things. Thank You!

empowered
10-26-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't know why I have yet to mention the wonderful things that Michelle Obama is doing at the White House garden. I thumbed through her book, American Grown. I loved the pictures! I'll be taking the time to actually read it this weekend since the east coast is expecting some pretty bad weather.

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/kMbm5mKGnk_TX_uP8c4m.w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00NTA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/152/2012/10/24/AP091029066213-jpg_185650.jpg

tlwnurse
12-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Here it is the beginning of December and 70+ degrees. The flowers are all confused and dandelions were popping up yesterday when that doesnt usually happen til March.

beaka
04-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Hey y'all! I thought gardening on my patio would be a good idea. However, I just left home depot and am like :huh:. This will be my first adventure in gardening. I'm doing small container gardening. I ended up getting top soil and potting mix, some seed starting pots, and seeds. Oh, and I bought starter tomato and strawberry plants. I have no idea if I'm planting at the right time. And this whole idea of starting seedlings indoors is totally foreign to me. Some of these packets say to start them for about 8 weeks indoors before transplanting. Plants take that long to grow?! Whew! I stuck to Burpee brand seeds that were marked as container friendly: mesculun, summer squash, watermelon, peppers, basil, cilantro, rosemary, and tomatoes. Y'all have any tips for a beginner? Also, in these little seed starter cells, about how many seeds should go in each one? Also, the Home Depot dude suggested a soil and potting mix blend. Should I do a 1:1 ratio? Wish me luck!

fuzzy_slippers
04-19-2013, 06:27 AM
I've got some flowers and I'm really trying. But my yard is where plants come to die. I've got a Gentian that I'm loving so hard right now. I've got the flower bed ready. Going to plant them tomorrow.

OHR
04-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Welp, it's time for another gardening season!!

I need to set aside time to clear out old vegetation, then lay down compost. Maybe Mother's Day weekend, if the dirt is warm enough, till.

Thinking of trying artichokes....

OHR
04-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Hey y'all! I thought gardening on my patio would be a good idea. However, I just left home depot and am like :huh:. This will be my first adventure in gardening. I'm doing small container gardening. I ended up getting top soil and potting mix, some seed starting pots, and seeds. Oh, and I bought starter tomato and strawberry plants. I have no idea if I'm planting at the right time. And this whole idea of starting seedlings indoors is totally foreign to me. Some of these packets say to start them for about 8 weeks indoors before transplanting. Plants take that long to grow?! Whew! I stuck to Burpee brand seeds that were marked as container friendly: mesculun, summer squash, watermelon, peppers, basil, cilantro, rosemary, and tomatoes. Y'all have any tips for a beginner? Also, in these little seed starter cells, about how many seeds should go in each one? Also, the Home Depot dude suggested a soil and potting mix blend. Should I do a 1:1 ratio? Wish me luck!

beaka,
I see that you live in the DMV. Here's a link (http://www.udc.edu/docs/cfs/Lets_Get_Growing.pdf) to your state extension service. Each state has one. You'll find a wealth of guidance on what vegetables grow best in your zone.

http://www.theslowcook.com/2011/03/10/best-vegetables-to-grow-in-d-c/ (http://www.theslowcook.com/2011/03/10/best-vegetables-to-grow-in-d-c/)

http://www.gardenguides.com/98685-vegetables-grow-washington-dc.html (http://www.gardenguides.com/98685-vegetables-grow-washington-dc.html)

Lockolatte
04-20-2013, 04:04 PM
I haven't done anything yet because it is much cooler here in the Shenandoah Valley. My garden will most likely be much smaller this year until we move to a permanent place.

beaka
04-20-2013, 10:12 PM
OHR- That extension service doc is soooo helpful!!!

OHR
04-22-2013, 01:37 AM
OHR- That extension service doc is soooo helpful!!!
You're welcome. My state service was a tremendous help back when I began my garden 25 years ago.

Here's 66 items that you can grow in containers (http://docakilah.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/no-garden-here-are-66-things-you-can-can-grow-at-home-in-containers/)

ScorpionOcean
04-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Hi ladies, I'm starting to prep for my square foot garden. At the moment I'm just waiting for the weather to cooperate. This past weekend we had flurries. I think I want tomatoes, cucumbers, some peas and we'll go from there lol

beaka
04-27-2013, 03:17 AM
Y'all I got some sprouts!!!! I got some of those little greenhouse trays. The cells where I put the topsoil/potting mix are looking like a fail. The basil and mesculun mix are looking good. I can see a peek of a tomato and a beet sprout coming through. I think I've probably started waaaay too many things, but I'm giving my parents a lot too. I'm gonna take a peek at that container link too. I've just been getting the Burpee seeds with the "container-friendly" marking.

beaka
04-27-2013, 03:29 AM
Ok... I looked at the article and now I want to grow an avocado tree. 8)

OHR
04-27-2013, 11:26 PM
^oooooh beaka: the gardenin' bug has done bit you!! Tread carefully!!! LOL

beaka
04-28-2013, 03:05 AM
Ooooh chile... I think it has. :D

creativity
04-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Gardening is so much fun. These are my organic blue potatoes coming up! I have a bunch of other veggies started. Have fun yall!

Congrats on the seedlings Beaka! (Believe me once you start getting seeds you never stop)

OHR
04-29-2013, 05:29 PM
^Blue taters???? I've seen those before

I've got to get on the ball here.

creativity
04-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Lol OHR! Yes ma'am. Native to South America.

Oh and I saw your post about artichokes. I started some seeds but only one sprouted so far9708 I started more seeds though.

OHR
04-29-2013, 07:54 PM
^Wow!! You'll have to keep us in the loop on how they do!!!

creativity
04-29-2013, 08:17 PM
^I will! But start some seeds and have some fun! I've read once artichokes get going they are easy to maintain. And I found they are perennials too.

redecouverte
04-30-2013, 01:34 AM
YAY for gardening season..I rented an extra plot from last year. So far I have spring bulbs that are doing well, herbs and waiting for lettuce, chard, tsotoi, spinach, kale and bok choy to sprout

beaka
04-30-2013, 03:35 AM
I didn't know there were blue taters in the world. Learn something new everyday! :)

creativity
04-30-2013, 01:42 PM
YAY for gardening season..I rented an extra plot from last year. So far I have spring bulbs that are doing well, herbs and waiting for lettuce, chard, tsotoi, spinach, kale and bok choy to sprout

Whoo hoo! Go Red! Can't wait to see how your tsotoi does. I love the Asian greens. I have some bok choys going too and finally found the larger seeds. I only had the minature ones.

Beaka--Can't wait to see what comes up from those potatoes. My manager actually gave them to me and told me what to look out for. I also have some fingerling potatoes too I am growing in a large bucket.

creativity
05-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Garden porn! If you want to see a bit of information on artichokes check the 16:00 mark. This is a good series though so watch the whole thing and drool over his garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_XdYHppVU start at around 15.46 mark for the artichokes only or watch the whole thing.

beaka
05-04-2013, 03:57 PM
This squash is growing fast!!!

Lockolatte
05-06-2013, 11:14 AM
I finally put a few things in pots yesterday. It felt good to have my hands in soil again. :)

Sohful1
05-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Well, since I can't have a vegetbale garden (wild rabbits) I started growing flowers! I absolutely love all of the beautiful colors. My hibiscus are doing really, really well after I was able to get rid of a bug infestation (aphids). I placed a lay of mulch in one of my plots and it looks really nice! Can't wait to get out in the yard this weekend!

Lockolatte
05-11-2013, 07:52 PM
My lettuce seeds have sprouted after only a week. It must be all this rain we are getting. I need to get out and put the tomatoes in the pots now. It will be in the thirties on Monday night though.....

OHR
05-12-2013, 01:35 PM
I need to get after my DH to replace the fence around the garden.

Gonna go out and get transplants this week. Last frost date is tomorrow night.

creativity
05-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Whoo hoo! 2 of my corn seeds sprouted. Finally! Man they have been in the ground for over 2 weeks! I think I will put some cowpeas in the ground when I get home this evening. I already have the space dug out. I'm turning into an urban gardener. My manager at work laughs at me but its all good. LOL!

OHR
05-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Whoo hoo! 2 of my corn seeds sprouted. Finally! Man they have been in the ground for over 2 weeks! I think I will put some cowpeas in the ground when I get home this evening. I already have the space dug out. I'm turning into an urban gardener. My manager at work laughs at me but its all good. LOL!
He'll stop laffin' when you begin to bring in extra veggies.

creativity
05-13-2013, 09:03 PM
OHR--yeah its okay. He is a gardener too. He laughs at the fact I am overly excited about every little thing. I brought two of our managers some tomato plants last week that I started from seeds and he said he was quite impressed. He is cool though. He brought me some tomato cages he was no longer using and slug pellets. Win win for me!

newlife2169
05-13-2013, 09:10 PM
***opens thread door slowly and peeks in***

Hi, everyone. My name is newlife and I repotted my only plant for the first time over the weekend. This is the first plant that I've managed not to kill, including a cross country move. I'm kind of excited to get a second plant.... I'd like to get a floor plant....

Bithiya
05-27-2013, 11:59 AM
I just bought a bunch of new cold-hardy blueberry shrubs, varieties that I didn't already have.
I also bought one new warm-weather type [for zones 6 - 10] with leaves so pretty I can't bear to leave it outdoors; I'll keep this one as an indoor plant :)

Lockolatte
06-01-2013, 01:07 AM
Hi everybody! My little garden is doing ok so far. I'll take pictures of the progress and post them tomorrow.

Lockolatte
06-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Today I repotted some lettuce and flowers. Everything seems to be doing fine so far.

creativity
06-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Thats amazing Lockolatte!

Lockolatte
06-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Something is wrong with some of my peppers. They look weak. One variety of lettuce looks weird, like it's not lettuce, but parsley. #I'mnoteatingthatifIdon'tknowwhatitis. Everything else looks good and I even have a few tomatoes and a zucchini. :))

OHR
06-15-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm putting in my veggies on Monday. I'm like )8-| about how behind I am this year with my garden, but based on the weather thus far I'll be ;)ok.

Lockolatte
06-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Ok, this is supposedly some kind of lettuce. It doesn't look like it to me. What do you all think?

OHR
06-16-2013, 01:27 AM
looks like parsley! Not like any lettuce I've grown or eaten before...

Does it smell like parsley?

chachadiva
06-16-2013, 01:31 AM
^That's like a botanical mystery. :-)) Did the seeds come in a package marked "salad greens?"

Check out the chart at this link: http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/seasonalcooking/farmtotable/visualguidesaladgreens

It looks like it could be mizuna???? Or it could just be parsley.

Lockolatte
06-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks OHR and ChaCha. I thought it might be parsley?? The packages says Lettuce Baby Red Mix, lol! I know it's not that because all of the plants look exactly the same. This must be parsley or something because it doesn't look like anything on that chart ChaCha. I haven't smelled it yet. Don't tell me that the people packing the seeds smoking the pipe too??!!:huh:

creativity
06-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Yeah that looks like parsely or cilantro to me. Well at least you have a nice herb bed Lock! And you noted your peppers were looking off. Something happened with my orange bellpeppers and the stems either looked like they were eaten or just rotted off at the base. I started more seeds but I think I will see if I can find a couple of plants for a headstart.

OHR--What did you plant?

OHR
06-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Don't tell me that the people packing the seeds smoking the pipe too??!!:huh:
*heh*

OHR--What did you plant?
Bibb and head lettuce is growing on the deck, tomatoes, celery, collards in the raised bed. Also bought green bean, okra and cucumber seeds to plant. I gotta get on the stick. Tomorrow will be the day that I'll plant them.

Lockolatte
06-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Creativity you won the prize! It is coriander/cilantro!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A_scene_of_Coriander_leaves.JPG

OHR
06-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Anyone grown okra before?

I'm going to try growing it for the first time this year...I want to try making my own hair gel as well as pickling it.

&
I've been on the web today researching ways to compost using weeds that have already gone to seed. I see that I can use a black plastic garbage bag to 'cook' the weeds, then compost them. I have a boatload of weeds that I got rid of from my garden and would hate to not use them for a nobler purpose.

creativity
06-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Woot woot! Salsa for everybody Lock!

OHR--I have. It likes heat and sunlight (like tomatoes).Pretty easy to grow just don't let the fruit get too big or it gets woody. And it can take poor soils too.
And yes you can compost weeds in a black garbage bag. They probably won't be ready to use for over 6months to a year though. YOu can make a compost tea with them.

OHR
06-17-2013, 11:51 PM
^thanks, creativity!

I've been working in my yard since 8 a.m. this morning....cooked dinner in the crockpot...and gonna go back outside to plant the seeds. Went to the hardware store to buy some landscape fabric...those #@ weeds! They will NOT defeat me!!! http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/BlueNotch/smileys/Shaking_Fist_emoticon.gif

creativity
06-20-2013, 03:58 PM
OHR--you know you can do the same thing with cardboard. Choke those weeds out!

Lock--How are your peppers now. You know as a nice magnesium supplement you can use Epsom salt to give them a boost. I forget the recipe but 2 tsp or 2 tbls per gallon of water will help them and also cucumbers and tomatoes. It really works.

My corn is growing!9927

Lockolatte
06-21-2013, 12:01 AM
They are still looking jacked up!!
Hmmm! I need to try that. Thanks creativity!

Bithiya
06-23-2013, 12:09 AM
I ate a bunch of blueberries off my bushes today - mostly Duke, a bit of Bluecrop, a bit of Jersey, a bit of Patriot.
I also ate some gooseberries straight off the bush.
Haven't yet netted the plants, so I'm glad I got to them before the birds did :)

empowered
07-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Hello ladies,

Soooo glad to see everyone still at it. It's been a while, but I do look forward to catching up on the "garden happenings" with you all.

I messed around and ran out of space this year in the garden and I had to put three of my tomato plants in the house. They are doing well. Two of the plants (one heirloom variety and the other a grape tomato plant) are well over do to be transplanted...I'll get at that it this weekend. If you all haven't tried Matt's Wild Cherry tomato plant, please do so. The fruit that this plant bears' is so sweet. Also, growing it is very easy.

I'll post pictures on Monday.

Happy Gardening.

OHR
07-10-2013, 04:52 AM
I tell ya what...all of the rain we've been getting is sure sending plants into overdrive! I've got a green pepper in my deck pot, the okra and pickle cucumbers are going nuts, and my green bean vines are going crazy. The celery I have on my deck are coming along nicely. All we need are a few sunny days to start drying out...and the word is that will begin later today!

My husband commented how tall some of my gladiolus are getting...he swears she saw one that was almost 6' tall. lol

Lockolatte
07-23-2013, 01:02 AM
Hey ladies. My dad's garden is doing fantastic as usual and mine is finally doing ok since the rainy spell stopped. I'm getting plenty of tomatoes, some peppers, green beans, and zucchini. The basset hound is biting the yellow squash and it has had lots of fruit with blossom rot also. I'll post pix soon.

Lockolatte
07-23-2013, 10:08 PM

The field of purple coneflowers is my dad's.

Dovechild20
08-30-2013, 12:01 AM
*bump*

Hey, anyone still gardening out there? I just put in the first part of my fall garden today and am starting some seeds in eggshells.

I have some more milk crates to fill (i plant in milk crates lol), so Im tryna figure out what I want to plant still...i know I want some garlic, maybe some more carrots, some celery, maybe some small new potatoes too. Hmm....probably some medicinals, more herbs and more flowers< i guess.

OHR
08-30-2013, 12:37 AM
I've been sooo quiet in this thread...with the very wet beginning, I had to wait approx. a month later than usual to plant. Good news: cukes, mustards and turnips are doing well. Tomatoes are taking their own sweet time. Bell peppers need heat + water to take off...and the heat just arrived recently. This summer is one BIG yawn.

chachadiva
08-30-2013, 01:35 AM
I'm moving into a townhouse and I'll have a small backyard. I'll finally be able to do some gardening. YAAAAAY!!!!

Napia Mia
06-17-2014, 11:06 PM

The field of purple coneflowers is my dad's.I love coneflowers. :)

Onnica
06-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Hi All. Is anyone in to container gardening? A friend of mine says it helps her to maintain the PH of her soil. I only do flower gardening at this time. However, next year I plan to start with containers. I was also told that mothballs around the perimeter of a garden will keep the critters away.
EXPECT GREAT THINGS!

OHR
06-20-2014, 04:21 PM
I container grow my peppers and lettuce on my deck. I did this for the first time last summer with success.

chachadiva
06-21-2014, 01:11 AM
Container gardener here. My lettuce may be done for the season. I have a harvest of cherry tomatoes that should be fully ripened next week. The cucumber, corn, and watermelons will come...when they come. The peas didn't make it and I don't feel like planting any more seeds at this point.

Oh yeah...yes, you can grow corn in containers. I'm growing this variety: http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/corn/corn-on-deck-hybrid-prod003168.html

Onnica
06-22-2014, 03:22 AM
Great Gals. Containers it will be then. Thx
Expect Great Things!

underthehood
08-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Currently trying to save an orchid gifted to my sister. I re-potted and have been trying my best but it just doesn't seem to want to perk up :( I wonder what I'm doing wrong!

7VeriRasta7
12-01-2014, 12:28 AM
I container garden, I have a indoor garden, 300 sq feet to play around with. I have my heat lamps and humidifiers going. I grow, bell pepper, tomatos, mint, basil, lavender,squash,cucumber, strawberries, jalapenos, habeneros, greens, cabbages, eggplant, red sweet peppers, banana peppers, yellow sweet peppers, carrots, and a few different lettuce. I am going to add grapes, radishes, green onions and beets in a few days I have the seeds, just have not planted. I will add pictures as soon as I know how?

Lockolatte
12-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Welcome 7VeryRasta7! I am glad you revived this thread. I container garden also, but only in the warm months. To post pictures you click on the square picture frame. You can upload pictures from your computer.
Locko

7VeriRasta7
12-01-2014, 01:03 AM
pictures of garden1077610777107781077910780

Lockolatte
12-01-2014, 02:08 AM
Your garden looks great! It will be nice to have your own fresh veges in the winter.

7VeriRasta7
12-02-2014, 04:35 AM
I know I cant wait. I also want to add a huge aquarium , that I can turn into a humidifier, winter indoors can be a lot of dry air.