PDA

View Full Version : What Is Al-islam?

Ladybug
05-09-2003, 02:44 PM
After reading many post and other references about Islam, all Ive really seen is the two major branches which are Sunni and Shiite. So what is Al-Islam? Ive met two people in the past 5 years who says they are Al-Islam and Ive lost touch with them. Can someone here tell me?

Saidah
05-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Ladybug@May 9 2003, 02:44 PM
After reading many post and other references about Islam, all Ive really seen is the two major branches which are Sunni and Shiite. So what is Al-Islam? Ive met two people in the past 5 years who says they are Al-Islam and Ive lost touch with them. Can someone here tell me?
Did they say they were members of Al-Islam? It just refers to the religion of Islam in general. Al-Islam literally means the Islam. There is no branch called Al-Islam as far as I know. Either you misinterpreted their meaning or it's one of those new branches that I hav'nt heard of. More than likely it's a misinterpretation. Allot of muslims refer to Islam as Al-Islam regardless of their branch. Ive come across several Christians who will name their denomination when I ask them what religion they are. Rather than to just say Chrsitian. Perhaps this is why you are confused. Most muslims generally dont name a branch if you ask them their religion, unless you specifically ask them what denomination they are, we'll usually just say we are muslim. Some will say they are members of Al-Islam which means they are muslim and does not refer to any specific branch. Usally the only time I will inform someone of the branch of Islam I am a member of is when they directly ask me or if they assume that I am part of another branch. As a black woman most non-blacks assume I am a member of the Nation of Islam. However I was actually raised Sunni.

blacklightfreakout
05-09-2003, 06:03 PM
yeah, the nation of islam and islam are two different things. many muslims even the black ones did tried to get the nation of islam from stop calling it "islam" since they do not follow islam solely. they include hebrew and christian preachings which most muslims don't hardly refer to. besides, nation of islam has a touch of american black politics in it which al-islam should be pure of ethnic politics. that is why it is hard pressed for white, arab, indian muslims to be in the nation of islam coz every sermon in the nation of islam deals with the american black and white race issues.

these are valid issues but ONLY to black people. if you are not black, you want to learn about religion not politics and race issues all the time.

nation of islam seems like a bahaiist movement where they have mostly islamic teachings, some chrisitan, some jewish but a lot of black nationalist propaganda.