PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Questions

chachadiva
09-14-2013, 08:00 PM
I wanted to start a thread for general questions related to the kitchen. ASK AWAY!

It can be anything related to food, cooking, how to choose an appliance, which fork to use, etc. Anything that happens in the kitchen applies.

I'll get things started. This is a question/observation.

If your kitchen sink has a built in soap dispenser, which type of soap do you put in it? Dish soap (like Dawn or Ajax) or liquid hand soap?

This came up because me and a friend have different opinions on the matter. :D

Sohful1
09-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks for starting this thread Chacha! To answer your question I'd more than likely add dish detergent and have a dispenser to the side for hand soap. I do have a question though:

I have a dishwasher in my home but rarely use it. Old habits are hard to break and I grew up washing dishes by hand and still prefer that manner. My son told me I should use it atleast once a week or something will get backed up in the pipes. Is that true? Anyone else not use their dishwasher?

Karibana
09-16-2013, 01:21 PM
To answer Chacha's question, I say dishsoap. They are gentle enough nowadays that I use it to wash my hands when I need to do so.

Fuzziwuz
09-16-2013, 01:37 PM
If your kitchen sink has a built in soap dispenser, which type of soap do you put in it? Dish soap (like Dawn or Ajax) or liquid hand soap?..... I don't have a dispenser on my kitchen sink, and it makes sense to think dish washing liquid. However it's for your hands like any other sink dispenser.... therefore it's hand soap. Frankly, if I had a kitchen dispenser, I'd fill it with lotion.

chachadiva
09-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Interesting responses. This came up because I was washing dishes at my friend's house and I naturally pumped the soap dispenser onto the dishes to wash them. Turns out she doesn't put dish soap in her sink dispenser. She puts hand soap in there.

I just moved and I will be putting dish soap on my dispenser.

But Fuzzi, lotion??? Near your dishes?

Fuzziwuz
09-17-2013, 12:19 AM
For chapped hands. Lotion won't touch the dishes if it's in the dispenser. I cook/bake often and wash dishes in between... so it will come in handy. I rather keep dual purpose dish liquid in it's own container to monitor when to replenish. Don't want to be caught with greasy pans and I'm low on liquid in a dispenser. It's like going to the ladies room reaching for the soap to wash hands and you're out .... irritating.

tjolims
10-13-2013, 05:55 AM
Is there any fool proof way to keep pots and pans from boiling over?

Fuzziwuz
10-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Reduce flame/heat, fluid and use lids with openings that allow steam to escape. Meats that take longer I use a deeper pot and add water up to the rim of the meat (rise allowance). Sometimes my lids won't have an opening. So I tilt the lid off the pot to allow the steam to escape and avoid boiling spillage. Option #2: Get a Lid Sid.

OHR
10-14-2013, 01:20 AM
To chacha's post:

If I had a soap dispenser, I'd put hand soap in it. I'd keep the dish soap seperate.

My questions:
Who else washes their metal dishrack in the dishwasher? How often?

I wanna know what your special trick is for loading more things in the dishwasher at washtime, and know that everything will be clean? I really wanna know.

Who else has tried that trick to removing burnt on food in pots and pans by soaking w/white vinegar and a fabric softener sheet? What are your results?

chachadiva
10-14-2013, 03:00 AM
Folks wash their dish racks?? :huh:)8-|

I have a dishwasher but never use it.

I've always just soaked pots in water. If there is anything still stuck, I use a little baking soda.

tjolims
10-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Actually, I tend to warm(not boil, the smell with KILL your house) a little ACV in a pot with super burnt on food. (I have crappy pots and a gas range...it happens a lot.) It gets off all of the scuff and burnt on marks as well as food.

I wash my dishrack in the sink in regular soapy water...usually at the beginning of washing my dishes and at LEAST once a week.

Fuzziwuz, I know I could google but what's a Lid Sid?

Fuzziwuz
10-15-2013, 05:39 AM
RE: Dishwasher/ Racks: There was really no need for a rack when using a dish washer. Load/unload from cabinet to washer. Ordinarily, I'd hand wash a rack, but not that often since the only thing dirty are water stains. I'm wondering would a metal rack rust if it's dish washed often? I guess it depends upon the quality of the rack. RE: Special tricks - none really. Quality product and pre-rinse dishes. Don't over load. RE: Pots with stubborn stains -- soak and a mild pot scrubbers. I normally avoid the issue by selecting non-stick cookware, or line ware with foil for easy cleanup.
......what's a Lid Sid? Steam pot vent openers.

Onnica
11-03-2013, 03:45 AM
Hi. I don't have a dispenser but my Mom uses hand soap in hers. It boils down to personal preference. I went without using a dishwasher for years. I now use it on the regular . I like that the dirty dishes are out of the way while waiting to be cleaned rather then cluttering the sink and counter top. A handyman friend of mine told me that if you place a cup of vinegar in the dishwasher once or twice a year it will keep it nice and clean in those hidden areas. Peace and blessings.

Onnica
11-03-2013, 03:46 AM
Who gets down on the regular with their crock pots? It's that time of year! Pull them on out yall.(LOL)

chachadiva
11-03-2013, 04:26 AM
Who gets down on the regular with their crock pots? It's that time of year! Pull them on out yall.(LOL)

I don't have a slow cooker but I was thinking about buying this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AO2PXK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER). Which one do you have?

OHR
11-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Folks wash their dish racks?? :huh:)8-|
:huh:Gurl, you betta wash it once in awhile. When your dishes and pots drain, there might be residue that collects in the nooks and crannies....my dishrack is aluminum, so I'm good with sticking it in the dishwasher. You'd be surprised what comes off.

If yours is made from that hard plastic, a good soak followed up with a sponge should do it.

OHR
11-03-2013, 03:27 PM
I don't have a slow cooker but I was thinking about buying this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AO2PXK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER). Which one do you have?

Ooooh...fancy!
I've got the tried and true one. https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-wxIWVElyfnpxWJPCvVVDloflG43nfa2p9Kn0pYObB2gQvpV2&usqp=CAYLove.

Onnica
11-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi Yall. That's the same one I have. It works really well. The only thing I do not like about it is you cannot go straight to the warm function. It goes automatically after the cook time has run out. However sometimes the food cooks faster then the set time and you want to put it on warm instead of turning it off. Or you may want to use the pot to heat something up or keep something warm after you cooked it using a different source. Be it stove, oven, grill, take-out,etc. The newer models have a warm setting that is a chosen feature not just automatic. Is yours the same as mine or is it the later model? I will eventually replace mine but cannot justify doing so since that's a minor issue and it works fine.
As a house warming gift a friend of mine purchased a 3 set crockpot for me. I use that more often now then the other one. I can cook entire meals in that one separately. It's one large unit. The three bowls are 2.5 each. Perfect size for two peeps or a singleton. It's not a common seller but you see them a lot around the holidays. They come in really handy for serving sides, dips, wings and pot luck style dishes too. It's not an item I would have thought to purchase for myself but I do not want to live without one now. This one has the warm feature that I love too. Crockpots are very inexpensive and very safe to use while you sleep or chill or are away from home. If you do not love to cook or spend a lot of time in the kitchen it's a must have. You can still have hot healthy meals prepared with a small amount of effort. Less expensive cuts of meat are nice and tender after the slow cooking process. An added bonus is the incredible smell wafting through the house all day or the smells upon your arrival home. This is the perfect time of year to have one if you live in the cooler climates. So good for stews and soups even though I use mine all year round.There are not a lot of meals I have not cooked in my crock. Hmm... now I'm hungry.(LOL))If you get one let us know. Peace and Blessings.

Onnica
11-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Another plus of using the dishwasher over handwashing is the extra counter space freed up from not having the drying rack on the counter top nor the bucket in the sink if you use one of those.

Sohful1
11-06-2013, 03:13 PM
I have a dishwasher in my home that I may use once or twice a month. I never had one growing up so being a creature of habit I still hand wash. I do use it for storing the dishes until they dry though...lol. I honestly don't use it more than that because I feel it'll make my water bill higher.

As for the crock pots I have one that my son bought me probably 10 or more years ago...lol. And for sentimental reasons it'll probably be the only one I'll ever have until it runs out. I love making soups,oxtails and cooking london broil in it. And yes, the smell after a long days work is very inviting :). It's like "welcome home".

When using your crock pot do you ladies place something under it? I used to sit mine on a baking pan or a piece of foil. Why I don't know...lol

tjolims
11-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Here's a kitchen question for you all...WHAT IS SHE DOING?!

http://youtu.be/zJnWFsR6eEA

Onnica
11-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Hi All. No. I have never thought about sitting my crock pot on anything except the kitchen counter.
Is anyone famiiar with a floor finish called Quick Shine Floor Finish? I just have vinyl flooring but to take them to another level without wax build-up I use it instead of wax. I love this product. Cheap at Meijers. They also have a wax so if you use it be careful to purchase the right one. It gives your kitchen and other floors a high wet looking shine. You can use up to six coats. I have only used two and that is plenty. Very easy to use and only takes about 20 minutes to dry. It makes old floors come alive again too. It can be used on all floor types including wood. I thought of it because with the holidays approaching you all may want to spruce things up. I have not used mine this year at all and the floors still look good accept for the high traffic laundry room. That's the mud area so it takes a beating and is very dull now. I am about to shine up all of my floors before the holidays. I have never experienced build-up from this product and have not noticed any yellowing either. Sometimes I have experienced the product peeling onto rugs but not to where the floor underneath looks bad nor the rug damaged. Almost a plastic wrap look. Anyhoo,let me know what yall think. Peace and Blessings.

Fuzziwuz
11-07-2013, 08:28 AM
...WHAT IS SHE DOING?! Making a hot @ss mess. I wonder who ate it in the end. Only mac & cheese connoisseurs with cast iron stomachs can indulge. The average individual will either die or get ill. Too many ingredients and I don't see the point of having wheat pasta when other is included. That's no ordinary M&C, that's mystery mac & cheese.... where you guess what is it, in it and whether you'll need the Pepto afterwards.

Onnica
11-17-2013, 05:32 AM
Hi All. I made a mean pot of beef stew in my crock the other day . We went to town on it . Only two for din din and only one tiny bowl leftover. Since I am working on Thanksgiving I will not be hanging out. I planned a chicken and dumplins dinner for my Mom and a few other relatives. I will make that on the stove in a huge pot with plenty for the unexpected that may show up. What's happening in yall's kitchens? Peace and Blessings.

Onnica
11-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Hi. Don't judge me but I feel almost guilty for using my crock for hot dogs. Wanted them hot for when hubby came home without any reheating. Put those weiners in on low for a few hours and then on warm.There are not a lot of meals I won't use mine for. I even cook burgers in it if super tired after working all night. I will have a pre Thanksgiving dinner for a few family members. Chicken and Dumplings. That I will make on the stove.(LOL) I cheat though. I use non-flakey bisquits instead of homemade. Homemade is probably easy but gonna stick with what I already know works. What yall doing in those kitchens? Peace and Blessings.

chachadiva
11-19-2013, 11:12 PM
QUESTION: After you make a big pot of something and you have leftovers, do you leave the food in the pot and put the pot in the refrigerator. Or do you transfer the food to storage containers and put those in the fridge. I saw an online post where a marriage was in danger over this.

In other kitchen news, I've been doing a lot of baking. I've made soft pretzels, whoopie pies, banana muffins, chocolate chip bread, and cookies.

Fuzziwuz
11-20-2013, 01:54 AM
It depends .... the size of the pot, contents and space in the refrigerator. Sometimes I'll cook and no one eats. Why remove the contents and place in another container only to put it back in the pot the next day? If there's left overs, then storage containers. Other... the pot, if it fits.

tjolims
11-20-2013, 02:02 AM
QUESTION: After you make a big pot of something and you have leftovers, do you leave the food in the pot and put the pot in the refrigerator. Or do you transfer the food to storage containers and put those in the fridge. I saw an online post where a marriage was in danger over this.

In other kitchen news, I've been doing a lot of baking. I've made soft pretzels, whoopie pies, banana muffins, chocolate chip bread, and cookies.

I just bought an oven and am so excited about baking...can you share your pretzel recipe? :-) And um...what's a whoopie pie?

chachadiva
11-20-2013, 04:54 AM
I just bought an oven and am so excited about baking...can you share your pretzel recipe? :-) And um...what's a whoopie pie?

If you plan on doing a lot of baking, two great resources are the King Arthur Flour blog/site and Martha Stewart's site (great videos)

Soft pretzels: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hot-buttered-soft-pretzels-recipe (If you want step by step photos, here's the blog post: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2012/02/09/hot-buttered-soft-pretzels-twisted-bliss/)

Whoopie pies: http://www.thekitchn.com/whoopie-pies-9-recipes-youll-a-116225 (I've made the chocolate ones. YUM)

tjolims
11-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Thanks, chacha. Did you do the baking soda bath for the pretzels?

Onnica
11-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Hi. In response to using containers for leftovers or putting the pot in the fridge I do both. My hubby does not like the pots to go into the fridge.However, I let him know that it would not hurt my feelings at all if he used containers. I use the pots to save time and to keep from having more dishes to wash. If a couples marriage is failing over this issue there must be something bigger going on. I try not to sweat the small stuff and that is small. Peace and Blessings.

chachadiva
11-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks, chacha. Did you do the baking soda bath for the pretzels?

Yep. It helps to brown the dough. They came out great. Really quick recipe to put together. It you don't want to take the time to do the pretzel shape, you can roll out each piece of dough into a breadstick shape or a twist shape.

chachadiva
12-16-2013, 12:05 AM
What's going on?

Today, I made turkey stock from the carcass of my T-day turkey, made a cream cheese pound cake, and bought a single serve coffee maker (Tassimo T-20).

Beautifully Human
12-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Yesterday I made some chicken stock from our roast chicken carcass and we used the stock and the left over meat from the roast for chicken soup. Delicious!

Recently got a new Cuisinart pot set. It's our first proper pot set. Loving them so far.

Onnica
12-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Hi.@Beautifully Human Where did you purchase your set of pot? I need a new set. I was thinking of enameled cast iron. It's just so nice looking and is said to perform really well.Will be a good source of iron too.I made a nice winter meal of goulash the other day so comforting on a cold winter day and it truly was a cold winter day.Peace and Blessings.

Onnica
01-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Hi Yall. I mentionded a while ago that I wanted a crock pot that I could manually put on the warm setting. I purchased one recently for under 25 bucks. It is a Hamilton Beach. I have never used one from this company. I usually use the one from Rival. Anyhoo,gonna use it tomorrow. It is a good looker too. Fire red. My fav color! I have a kitchen question for yall. Pancakes. Some folks say they can only make cakes on a griddle. Do yall know how to make perfectly round cakes in a skillet? Let me know. Peace and Blessings.

chachadiva
01-02-2014, 11:57 PM
I have a kitchen question for yall. Pancakes. Some folks say they can only make cakes on a griddle. Do yall know how to make perfectly round cakes in a skillet? Let me know. Peace and Blessings.
I just slowly pour the batter in the center of the skillet. Flip it with a good, sturdy spatula.

tjolims
01-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I basically added flour, baking powder and baking soda, along with some chopped roasted chestnuts and raisins, to my sweet potato pie filling and came up with a pretty decently delicious sweet potato cake. Yum. My coworkers have been eagerly anticipating more...

Question; does anyone have a non-food coloring red velvet cake recipe that they'd like to share?

Also, has anyone ever baked with red wine?

Scribetastic
01-05-2014, 03:11 AM
I wanted to start a thread for general questions related to the kitchen. ASK AWAY!

It can be anything related to food, cooking, how to choose an appliance, which fork to use, etc. Anything that happens in the kitchen applies.

I'll get things started. This is a question/observation.

If your kitchen sink has a built in soap dispenser, which type of soap do you put in it? Dish soap (like Dawn or Ajax) or liquid hand soap?

This came up because me and a friend have different opinions on the matter. :D

For some reason, I don't want to use mine at all. I've got dish soap, liquid soap there and hand lotion to put on my hands if I wash them there (required of my skin will get incredibly dried out), but refuse to use the dispenser. I really can't articulate why, but if I do crack, I'll probably use dish soap.

OHR
01-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Pulled out the crock pot again to make chicken soup yesterday. I added tortellini rather than egg noodles this time, and it came out great! I do like a slightly thicker broth, so I mix a bit of cornstarch w/water, then add to the broth.

Question: Does anyone have a technique for loading their dishwasher effectively (fit more items) OR steer me in the direction of a YT vid that demonstrates?

Scribetastic
01-06-2014, 06:47 AM

Not on the regular yet because I just got myself one during the after Thanksgiving sale frenzy: Bella Dots Collection 5QT Programmable Slow Cooker (http://www.bellahousewares.com/collections/dots-collection/purple-dots-collection-5qt-programmable-slow-cooker-13964). I did use it to make some beef stew for Christmas. The stew got rave reviews from my boyfriend and was nice and full. :) I'm looking forward to using it more. My mom made a lot of tasty meals in her slow cooker, so I want to bring that back.

thePerfectFool
01-24-2014, 05:19 PM
I want to go home and make some hamburger soup. OOH! Maybe I'll add some noodles for hamburger mac'n cheese soup!! I just need to figure out how to make 1 person sized portions so it doesn't go to waste.

Onnica
02-20-2014, 08:02 AM
@Theperfectfool Hi.The packs of burger meat are so dogon small now that after two helpings it should be goneanyway. LOL If there is any left you could freeze it and save some for the next time. That sounds good though. I have never made hamburger soup. I guess it would be similar to goulash. I'm gonna make some too.(Soup) I remember seeing a recipe for it in my crock cook book. Peace and blessings.

deecoily
04-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Has anyone else given up the ground beef for ground turkey? Or using turkey more than beef?

chachadiva
04-18-2014, 11:59 PM
Has anyone else given up the ground beef for ground turkey? Or using turkey more than beef?
Yep, I have. I gave up ground beef years ago. If I need ground meat, I always use ground turkey. Burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, etc

deecoily
04-19-2014, 01:59 AM
Good to know Chacha. I am finding now when given ground beef I can barely eat it. The taste ... It's so heavy.