PDA

View Full Version : How to retain moisture

Finallyhere
08-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Ok, I know African hair has a tendency to be dry. Every night, I moisturize and apply oil to my hair. I then twist it, cover it with a satin cap and sleep on a satin pillow. Yet, in the morning, it's relatively dry. Even if I apply more moisturizer, it will still be dry. Do I need to apply moisture liberally twice a day?

Also, the hair lotion I'm using is supposed to be free of all those things I'm told is not good for natural hair. But is it possible that my hair may need some of those things...like mineral oil, etc...?

Brownsugar87
08-22-2014, 02:12 AM
Maybe you should in cooperate Shay butter to your regimen. It may work better for your hair type

Squiggly
08-22-2014, 09:16 AM
What do you use to moisturize?

Peas&Carrots
11-16-2014, 10:37 AM
OMG I have the same issue. It seems like I haven't figured it out yet and I've been Natural for 18 months. It seems products including shea butter just sits on top of my hair. #thestruggle

KnottyAuthor
11-16-2014, 06:08 PM
@peas…SB did the same to me. I spritz with AVJ (aloe vera juice). I found sealing with castor oil (as a loose natural) then adding hair milk to my TOs worked well. With Locks, I still AVJ, use an oil to lock in….like jojoba or olive oil. You may find oils work better. The AVJ will nourish and feed. HTH

Peas&Carrots
11-17-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm going to have to try that thanks!

simplyfinny
11-17-2014, 09:23 PM
I have type 4 natural hair. After I wash my hair, to retain moisture I use the LOC method. L -leave in conditioner, O - oil , C - cream (such as shea butter). During the week I usually use castor, coconut, and argan oils to keep my hair moisturized. If I'm trying to achieve a certain style then I will use the LOC method or just plain water and shea butter.

NancyJaneCarol
02-12-2015, 12:33 AM
I've heard of using coconut water as a pre-moisturizer to your regular moisturizer. It helps nourish the hair and scalp better I believe. I have not tried it myself however.