PDA

View Full Version : Heat = Damage...even With A Blow-dryer?

vixxen13
07-30-2004, 06:27 AM
I was just reading Dee's Heat=Damage post (http://www.nappturality.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=24408) and I noticed it mentioned that a blow dryer even with a cool setting can damage your hair. I never knew that. I like to dry twist my hair and I used to band it but it would take so long to dry.(about 10 hours) So I started blowdrying it first. I use a comb attachment when I dry. My hair is still super curly so I guess I havent damaged it yet. But by blowdrying my hair am I risking damaging it? How do I know if my blowdryer is too hot cause I dont wanna ruin my pretty hair.

ETA link

deecoily
07-30-2004, 08:35 AM
It's the stretching that can damage, even on a cool setting.

Try this: If it burns your skin, it will burn your hair. Holding the dryer too close to your hair, temp to too high, using concentrators, stretching, all of this may damage.

~Dee~

BeautifulButterfly
07-30-2004, 08:49 AM
So, Dee, can banding the hair cause damage too? You just said that it's the stretching that can damage.

I thought stretching by banding was safe...

-Felecia

deecoily
07-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Don't know. Don't band :)

I am referring solely to the drying effects of concentrated warm or hot air on the hair while stretching the hair out, reducing elasticity. Of course, if you have to do it, use cool settings.

~Dee~

Dolliesdaughter
07-30-2004, 01:00 PM
What is wrong with waiting 10 hours for your hair to dry? It takes my hair 24 hours plus to dry. If you are wear twists it really doesn't make any difference. Remember a cold is cause by a virus not a wet head. I do not use heat at all and have have plenty of hair and walk around all four seasons with wet hair. Air drying is the best thing for my hair. Blow drying for the sake of blow drying is very over rated.

Good luck.

Natural Kinks
07-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Alken41100@Jul 30 2004, 01:00 PM
What is wrong with waiting 10 hours for your hair to dry? It takes my hair 24 hours plus to dry. If you are wear twists it really doesn't make any difference. Remember a cold is cause by a virus not a wet head. I do not use heat at all and have have plenty of hair and walk around all four seasons with wet hair. Air drying is the best thing for my hair. Blow drying for the sake of blow drying is very over rated.

Good luck.
Exactly.

tran68
07-30-2004, 02:03 PM
I get the same blow dry length and look after wearing a ponytail all day, if you are concerned about heat damage, try it. :)

YanteCoi
07-30-2004, 02:20 PM
I like to dry twist my hair and I used to band it but it would take so long to dry.(about 10 hours) So I started blowdrying it first. I use a comb attachment when I dry. My hair is still super curly so I guess I havent damaged it yet. But by blowdrying my hair am I risking damaging it?

I think that the combination of the heat and the comb attachment would be your most likely sources for damage if done improperly. Comb attachments are just evil in my opinion. They pull the hair out and seem to make the task last longer, thus lengthening the amount of time you're applying heat to your hair. When I get a blow-out on the salon, my stylist never uses a comb attachment, and I am thankful.

I understand that you don't want to wait 10 hours for your hair to dry. Sometimes I end up doing twists at night, and you best believe I'm not going to bed with wet hair (been there, done that).

Try this to get your hair dry, while minimize any damage from your blow-dryer:
1. Use a leave-in conditioner after shampooing your hair. If you have a heat protective lotion, use that also.

2. Section your hair into 4-6 sections: ear to ear, front to back. Clip sections up and away until you are ready to deal with each one.

3. Use a medium setting on your regular blow-dryer or try a diffuser. If you are not familiar with diffusers, pm me.

4. Start with first section and make sure that it is combed through and detangled. Hold the hair taunt by grabbing the ends and stretching it away from the scalp. Aim your dryer at the section of hair and move it up and down the length until the hair is semi-dry.

5. Once that section is dry enough, divide it up and start twisting. Clip those away, and move on to the next section of hair to dry and twist.

6. You do NOT have to use a comb attachment, and you don't have to aim the dryer at your hair very close. Like Dee mentioned, test it on your skin and if it burns, increase the distance or lower the temp.

This has helped many of my friends and I hope it helps you too if you decide to try it! :)

wildandkinky
07-30-2004, 03:07 PM
I agree with YanteCoi, ditch the comb attachment and increace the distance.

I sometimes blowdry during winter and I use a similar method to the one above, only I toweldry before blowdrying.

Azure
07-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Another non-heat way for me to stretch my hair is to carefully pick my coils out, make about 12 large twists, and airdrying. After separating and fluffing, I have a look similar to a blowout.

Azure :bubble

napturallyme
07-30-2004, 03:55 PM
I definitely think the heat added with the pulling of the hair with a comb attachment can be damaging. A friend did my twists one time and blow dried them, I was cringing. I would never do that again.

When I twist I usually wear a puff for the day and then twist later in the day or the next morning.

vixxen13
07-30-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Alken41100@Jul 30 2004, 06:00 AM

Good luck.
I dont worry about getting sick from my hair being wet its about the time. When I do twists they are very tiny and it takes hours to do them. I cant wait ten hours for my hair to dry and then more hours to twist them. Because I twist at night so I blowdry so I can twist right away. So its not blow drying for the sake of blow drying. It is for a purpose.

So if you dont use a comb attachment you just use a comb, like a wide tooth comb that you'd use for detangling? Hmm diffuser. I might try that too.

What are some heat protective lotions?

Oh yeah another reason I like blowdrying is cause it shows more length than when I band. But maybe Im not good at banding. But I'll keep practicing.

@tran68 I can't put my hair into a ponytail wet. I wish. My hair is about 6-7 inches. And it shrinks to 2 inches. The more it grows the more it shrinks lol.

Thanx for all the tips everyone. Good thing I reread that post I'd be so mad if I messed up my hair. Phew!!!! :thumbsup

napturallyme
07-30-2004, 08:56 PM
How about putting your hair into large twists and sitting under a heat cap or hooded dryer? I think that would be less damaging than the blowdryer and comb combo. I've done this a couple of times when I didn't have time.