PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic Plastic Surgery

~*welekevu*~
08-03-2004, 02:52 AM
There is a big wave of people young and old, men and women alike, seeking plastic surgery as a remedy to what they view as physical imperfections. I have read about children as young as 14, 14 :doh years old getting plastic surgery: rhinoplasty and breast implants! Personally, I feel cosmetic plastic surgery is another way people try to "Play God".
I think we are how we were intended to be. People need to learn to accept themselves, and love themselves. They don't seem to understand that no amount of botox injections, no amount of silicone or saline breast or behind implants really changes who you are. The issues are mental, emotional, maybe even spiritual and until those are addressed no amount of physical "improvement" will do anything for the person. I can understand reconstructive surgery in the case of an extremely traumatic accident or some medical condition, but just for the sake of vanity I feel it is completely unnecessary.
What are your thoughts?

TaniaInChi
08-03-2004, 03:23 AM
I think cosmetic surgery is okay and I certainly dont think that "ugly" is always in someone's head. Some people do need to work on their emotional and mental issues, but some people who have things about their physical appearance that they dont like are entitled to fix it. I dont think its anymore wrong than wearing makeup, certain clothing and jewelry or anything else people do to enhance their beauty. I also do believe that physical improvements can make some people feel better about themselves. I wouldnt hesistate to get anything I wanted if I could, but thats almost my attitude about everything, since I only live once. I dont think someone like michael jackson or lil kim is typical, so I am all for people making themselves look and feel their best. I watch those plastic surgery shows and I am usually happy for the person in the end, they are usually regular people and they seem genuinely happy when they are done.

meagan22
08-03-2004, 04:57 AM
I considered plastic surgery before. I thought about getting blestharoplasty (don't remember how to spell it correctly). But then I saw how much it could cost (between $2,500 and $7,000) and I decided that there has to be something better I could do with that money. In my case it would have been purely cosmetic and not a corrective procedure.

Aanneliesea
08-03-2004, 05:02 AM
Well everyone wants to look and feel good. I wouldnt because when you see PS youre seeing the good sides not the bad. Bad sides which include you being cheap and going to a doctor and being messed up once and it can never be fixed in some instances. If someone wants to get surgery they should afterall its there decision is it wrong for them to improve themselves well try to? I mean its not me but its them. As long as they don't become an addict.

LuvJones
08-03-2004, 07:54 AM
I plan on getting a tummy tuck and a breast lift(laser bra) would like to get some lipo on the INNER thigh and have my eyelids(lifted) done as well. These are things I think could stand some improvement. Not hating these things just want them to look the way I want them to look

anyone know if they have plastic surgery for lengthening toes my little piggies are just too damn short and fat!

LJ

PoetiklyFroed
08-03-2004, 08:13 AM
I only believe in temporary/non chemical changes. There were times when I didn't like my BIG nose or my pot belly, but I realized that I am good enough. I look darn good when I follow my own standards.
-Poetikly

flybutter
08-03-2004, 01:10 PM
I'd get my boobs done in a heartbeat! If I meet some rich old man- watch out. I've already told some family members that if I ever came into extra money just make sure my boobs aren't so big they cover my face.

So, you see how I feel. If you can afford it and it makes you feel good - go for it.

expecting
08-03-2004, 03:24 PM
After having had a child (and whether or not I have more), DH and I have decided I can get a mini-tummy tuck if within a year, this "envelope" on my lower abdomen from my C-section is not gone, after my efforts at diet and exercise.

redhead1234
08-03-2004, 03:32 PM
I watched a show last night on TLC, can't remember the name of it but a boy no more than 11 or 12 had his ears pinned back. I think it was a necessary surgery for him.

yummyhoney06
08-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Personally, I could never breast implants or rhinoplasty or anything like that. But if I need it when I get older I would consider things like liposuction, face lifts, etc.

elleebeme5
08-03-2004, 04:09 PM
I think that the work of plastic surgeons is remarkable. Mine has done my breast reduction, removed moles and did a scar revision. We discussed liposuction for stomach but he feels that I need to either lose 20 pounds or get a tummy tuck.

I'd love to have my upper arms worked on, brachioplasty. My mother's upper arms are big and I can weigh 110 pounds and my arms will flap. I do strength training and lift weights but my upper arms are big.

keishamaree
08-03-2004, 08:14 PM
I would do a breast reduction NOW. I am not a size F or anything but I have a slender back and I just think my breast size doesn't fit it. Plus when I lift them a little higher than normal, I breathe much easier and I even look slimmer. Wow, if I could figure out a way to have my insurance cover this. HHHMMMM!

clover
08-03-2004, 09:43 PM
If I had an extra 5 thou laying around I'd consider getting breast implants. Not gigantic ones cause I have a small frame and I don't want to look ridiculous. But a size where I can fill out a strapless dress without the aid of a padded bra. Right now my puppies are small but perky so I still comfortably live with them. 8)

vinny_46
08-04-2004, 12:28 AM
I honestly don't know. I would like to say absolutely NOT, but I won't know unless I'm ever in a situation where it is a possiblility.
I live in LA, and am trying to work in the entertainment business, so one day that issue may come up, and I can't say for certain that I will turn it down. :-?
I would never do any major surgery or breast enhancements, but I may get a nose job or something like that.
But, to be morbidly honest, I want to grow old with the face I was meant to have, and I want to die still being the same person. I want to take photographs and document myself through all stages of life, and plastic surgery would be like introducing a stranger into my journey and replacing them with myself. :-cre

Plastic surgery is just that, surgery, and these kind of procedures should never be done without know the risks being taken. People die from plastic surgery just like any other, and I don't want to die just because I wanted a bigger cup size or whatever. That's not life-threatening. :smug

ebonyloc
08-04-2004, 03:40 PM
i don't think it's wrong to have cosmetic surgery. if i had the money, i'd get a tummy tuck and maybe a little lipo on the thighs. i work out, but i still need a little help in those departments. that's not wrong, is it??

PrincessDrRe
08-04-2004, 04:55 PM
I believe it is vanity. Yep-sho' do. ...and I would still get it in a heartbeat (if I had the money)! I want a boob job and a tummy tuck. The septum (sp?) in my nose is not actually open (further back) as it should be; thus my three times a year sinus infection. I would get that fixed first.

I still believe it is vanity. ...and I still would get it in a heartbeat (if I had the money)! Also, if the case is of "vanity" why ever comb your hair, twist your locks, or style it? Why wear a bra? Why wear pretty colors? Why? Because you like thinks that make you "look good". It could then be called "vanity" if you wear colorful clothing--(per the Amish and the Puritans.....)...but I digress.

:tiptoe

BriansGirl
08-04-2004, 09:43 PM
I'd kinda like to get my nose done and if I could suck out all my body fat. But, I think dieting and exercise will be cheaper :-P

KinkyChris
08-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Only if I were in a disfiguring accident or needed corrective breast reconstruction/implants due to cancer.... hope I never see the day I need surgery...

trureddstarr
08-05-2004, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't alter my appearance, but I would get PS done to make things back to the way it originally were/or close to it. For example after having my sons they completely trashed my breast/stomach... so I would get a breast lift, and a tummy tuck, with navel reconstruction ( but all that's inc. with the tummy tuck, inc. getting your stomach muscles tightened).

Starr

brnize4u
08-05-2004, 05:05 PM
If I had the money trust and believe I would have liposuction. I am so tired of this fat on my abs. I would really like it to be gone forever.

-brnize4u :tiptoe

vinny_46
08-06-2004, 02:45 AM
Is it right or wrong? That's up to the individual's judgement.
Is it dangerous? ABSOLUTELY More dangerous than some people might think. You can die from getting a nose job. It's happened before.

pReCioUsLiL1
08-06-2004, 03:06 AM
honestly, ion kno. sumtimes i wish my 'puppies' (lol clover) so dat those cute tops would, well, look 'cute' on me but den again um only 15 n they'll grow... hopefully :-). besides that um completely happy wit my body (well, in terms of things surgery can deal wit) n even my puppies... they're mine, dats wat matters. :heart

nappyolme
08-06-2004, 06:22 AM
Only if i had some type of physical distortion from a disease or condition. That's the only time i could really justify getting plastic surgery. It is kinda far to go for vanity.

tran68
08-06-2004, 04:21 PM
if I were disfigured in an accident or something. I just happen to think I look PERFECT just the way I am! :rainfro

mochacaremel
08-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Welp, I am getting a breast lift and a tummy tuck. This is to correct what happened after having my daughter. I am just going to have whatever is needed to look exactly as I did before I had her.

Have you all looked at some of the before and after pics they have on the web? Some of these women ( I only look for black women, to see how they have avoided scars and keloids) look exactly like me! The after pictures of these women look exactly how I want to look!

I am doing it. Period. I can't wait and I don't care how much it costs.

My only physical assets before I had my baby were my puppies and my flat 6 pack ab stomach. (I never had a booty) Now my stomach looks ransacked and I won't comment on my breasts. I will leave the booty implants alone, because that's not naturally me. I won't even get any implants, just a lift, to lift them back where they belong.

And I don't feel guilty in the slightest. But I do feel a bit vain, but oh well.

Mocha

blumoonbabe
08-13-2004, 03:41 PM
Well, I've given up the ghost and decided that in the future, I will. I just want my old body back. I'm at a weight where I'm considered "morbidly obese", but my tall frame conceals this. Still, after I get back to the weight I'd like to be, I know there will be extra skin on my upper body that will not contract. (I've always had a big, muscular bottom half, so it hasn'r changed much.) I don't want my upper arms still flapping after intended for them to stop, and I'm sure that my now perky and nice breasts will go back down to a B cup ( or at least to a C... ), so there will probably have to be some work done on them as well. I will also eventually have to have my axillary sweat glands removed soo, so I'll probably get all of these procedures done all at one, so I'll never have to go under the knife again. I've thougt long and hard on this, and like I said, all I want is my old body back, and I'm gonna work my butt off to keep it that way.

mrandmrsmer
08-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by keishamaree@Aug 3 2004, 02:14 PM
I would do a breast reduction NOW. I am not a size F or anything but I have a slender back and I just think my breast size doesn't fit it. Plus when I lift them a little higher than normal, I breathe much easier and I even look slimmer. Wow, if I could figure out a way to have my insurance cover this. HHHMMMM!
I think if it could be determined by your physician that the size/weight of your breasts is causing you back pain or other pain, your medical insurance could possibly cover it. I'm not 100% sure on that, but maybe someone else has more info about it.

For me personally, I would not get it. Ihad considered getting breast reduction surgery, but I think I just need to lose weight. :smug :lol

I do think most people have begun to OVERUSE plastic surgery, however, just like gastric bypass surgery and low-carb dieting have become the new "it" things for weight loss. Sometimes, it's just too much. The Swan is over the top ridiculous. In the case of Extreme Makeover, however, sometimes, the surgeons really do help the people out, like the episode with DeShante. (Wonder how she's doing now?) In other cases, it's purely cosemtic. Ahh....fahgedaboutit. I'll stick with God, me, Billy Blanks and Weight Watchers for my extreme makeover for now. :lol

Ronnigal
08-13-2004, 04:43 PM
I grew thinking cosmetic surgery was for the rich. Now that it's more readily available and affordable, I may go that way. I'm going to take care of those things that appear to be medically important, before cosmetically desired.

I'm looking into the gastric bypass. It carries risk like every surgery, but has proven to set folk where they should be (although maybe not where they were in pre-baby days). My family history is of obesity producing diabetes and hypertension. At almost 40 years old, I've been blessed not to have these diseases, but the weight moves up as the metabolism slows down. (For the disbelievers, yes I've been on fitness programs/diets through the last decade or more... I know what to do, but discipline and genetics is the issue.) After the surgery and significant weight loss, most folk need a breast lift or skin reduction. So I'll flow that way. I'm not interested in face lifts and stuff. I'm not trying to be a super model, I'm trying to live longer (and look good in the process).

Lauren6849
08-14-2004, 02:05 AM
Cosmetic surgery is just to make yourself look better (which there is nothing wrong with) but plastic surgery typically means that there is medical or physical problem that needs correcting. Plastic surgery is very often covered by insurance while cosmetic surgery is rarely covered.

undrea
08-14-2004, 02:32 AM
I don't think that I would get plastic surgery. I don't completely disagree with it , but it can be taken to the extreme. Everything on my body is pretty much in place, but as I get older, it could be a possibility.

babycakes25
08-14-2004, 02:35 AM
Definitely! Once I finish losing weight if I need it I'll get it done. Tummy tuck, Breast lift, Lipo. But nothing that would require breaking of bones or introducing a foreign object into the body.

BeYou7
08-14-2004, 10:29 AM
I don't believe in volunteering for surgery :tiptoe

but

I do believe in reconstructive surgery like breast reduction or deformities due to innate or accidents or if a person loses weight the RIGHT way, by exercising and as a result it leaves excess fat on their body, then YES

but

cosmetics surgery :shock , I'll pass because no matter what anyone says people who get cosmetic surgery have low self-esteem and instead of fixing/rebuilding/reorganizing/ their inside, they think by fixing their outsides will make them happier :doh

what they don't understand is the problem wasn't fixed, it was avoided :tiptoe

mochacaremel
08-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by BeYou7@Aug 14 2004, 04:29 AM
cosmetics surgery :shock , I'll pass because no matter what anyone says people who get cosmetic surgery have low self-esteem and instead of fixing/rebuilding/reorganizing/ their inside, they think by fixing their outsides will make them happier :doh

what they don't understand is the problem wasn't fixed, it was avoided :tiptoe
Now you already know you shouldn't throw blanket statements like that around.

But let's just say you're right, EVERY person who wants cosmetic surgery has low self esteem...so what?

How many people on this globe have problems that are NOT physical who just as readily don't do anything about fixing/reorganizing/rebuilding their problems, huh? What's the difference between someone who doesn't like their nose and someone who can't stand their father?

My point is, people with problems (of any type) on a regular avoid them instead of fixing/rebuilding. So where's the surprise? And why would I feel any worse about that? Call me shallow or vain or whatever you want, but I will be calling myself 36, 24, 36, shawty! And society and family and everybody around me will confirm that this is the right choice because this is how we live today. In a visual, no patience, instant gratification world and if I subscribe to it, so what? I'm happy.

Mocha

BeYou7
08-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by mochacaremel+Aug 14 2004, 09:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mochacaremel @ Aug 14 2004, 09:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BeYou7@Aug 14 2004, 04:29 AM
cosmetics surgery :shock , I&#39;ll pass because no matter what anyone says people who get cosmetic surgery have low self-esteem and instead of fixing/rebuilding/reorganizing/ their inside, they think by fixing their outsides will make them happier :doh

what they don&#39;t understand is the problem wasn&#39;t fixed, it was avoided :tiptoe
Now you already know you shouldn&#39;t throw blanket statements like that around.

But let&#39;s just say you&#39;re right, EVERY person who wants cosmetic surgery has low self esteem...so what?

How many people on this globe have problems that are NOT physical who just as readily don&#39;t do anything about fixing/reorganizing/rebuilding their problems, huh? What&#39;s the difference between someone who doesn&#39;t like their nose and someone who can&#39;t stand their father?

My point is, people with problems (of any type) on a regular avoid them instead of fixing/rebuilding. So where&#39;s the surprise? And why would I feel any worse about that? Call me shallow or vain or whatever you want, but I will be calling myself 36, 24, 36, shawty! And society and family and everybody around me will confirm that this is the right choice because this is how we live today. In a visual, no patience, instant gratification world and if I subscribe to it, so what? I&#39;m happy.

Mocha [/b][/quote]
"What&#39;s the difference between someone who doesn&#39;t like their nose and someone who can&#39;t stand their father?"

you ask :-P

let&#39;s see, could it be the difference is that the father more than likely gave justifiable reasons for their child not liking him like eg. physical, emotion and spiritual abuse, molestation even, non supportive encouragement relationship, gosh I can go on and on whereas a persons&#39; nose did NOTHING to them but supply a passage for oxygen to come in and carbon dioxide to leave their God given body :pop

hope the clarity was digested :thumbsup

and I&#39;m the last person you need to convince that you&#39;ll be happy after undergoing your &#39;spiritual cosmetic surgery&#39; :tiptoe

wow I guess my response hit home huh :shock :-?

vonshair
08-14-2004, 02:48 PM
I would get me some breast and lipo of the stomach or tummy tuck, which ever will take this pouch away. After having 4 kids and breast feeding 3 :smug my body just dont look right anymore

slikycurls
08-14-2004, 03:29 PM
in a word .....YES! Nothing to my face some boobs and lipo if needed. :sleep

Lauren6849
08-15-2004, 12:05 AM
Why does person A care about what person B does with or to her body? It seems that whenever black people talk about cosmetic surgery, feelings of anger arise. Why is that or is it just a misperception on my part?

meagan22
08-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Lauren6849@Aug 14 2004, 07:05 PM
It seems that whenever black people talk about cosmetic surgery, feelings of anger arise. Why is that or is it just a misperception on my part?
I can&#39;t say whether or not its a misperception for you. * shrugs* From my personal experience discussions about plastic surgery get heated whenever the Black folks I know talk about it. The conversations always end with:
Person A: Fugg you.
Person B: Well, fugg you too.
Person A: Fugg you more, because you wanna be white :rolleyes
Person B: Fugg you, no I don&#39;t. It&#39;s my body and my choice, so fugg you more :rolleyes

Folks are gonna do whatever they wanna do with their bodies provided that the have the time and the money, and that&#39;s the bottom line

mochacaremel
08-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by BeYou7@Aug 14 2004, 05:02 AM
wow I guess my response hit home huh :shock :-?
Not really.

I haven&#39;t even had cosmetic surgery yet. But what I do want to know is, why do you care so much? You ain&#39;t getting it.

My point is: if I am accused of having low self esteem, so be it! I wouldn&#39;t care if it were true! I&#39;ll take low self esteem over the myraid of psychological problems we as people have today! And I will be looking good with my low self esteem self! I&#39;ll take low self esteem over narcissism, or having a self mutilation problem, or anorexia, etc.

And no, I am not convincing, merely stating a fact.

I have no problem identifying my own shortcomings. And I am being totally honest. So your sarcasm doesn&#39;t affect me at all. But thanks for playing!

Here&#39;s a question to ponder (for all):

If having cosmetic surgery means you have low self esteem, and after you&#39;ve gotten it your self esteem soars, what does that make you?

Mocha

Aanneliesea
08-16-2004, 04:07 PM
Now that I think about I would get some to have bigger lips. Like Naiomi Campbell. :coffee

swingbolder
08-18-2004, 01:46 AM
I&#39;m nearly 40 and so far can&#39;t imagine myself ever getting cosmetic surgery. I like the way I like, I think I&#39;m pretty. And that&#39;s all that matters. To me a lot of this surgery is trying to conform to cultural beauty standards that are not empowering. Just like relaxing our hair!

God gave me breasts that fed nourishment to my son. So they&#39;re not as firm/lifted as they used to be; I&#39;m blessed to be a mother who can take care of her child. I don&#39;t have wrinkles yet, but when I get them they will be remnants of years of laughing and other expressions of my emotions -- just like my 66 year old mom&#39;s wrinkles, and she is beauitful BTW. My tummy&#39;s not as flat as it used to be. But I&#39;m blessed that overall my body is healthy and taking me thru this life. I can&#39;t imagine tempting fate by going under the knife for vanity&#39;s sake.

I hope I always feel this way. If I don&#39;t, I guess I&#39;ll be eating my words someday!

thunderstorm
08-18-2004, 01:38 PM
i think plastic surgery is wrong when people go overboard (michael jackson and the catwoman). i think plastic surgeons are wrong for performing surgery on people whom they know are addicted to surgery and are trying to get the quintessential perfect nose, cheek bones, etc.

when you no longer resemble who you once were; when you don&#39;t look like your family in any way, that&#39;s when i raise an eyebrow.

other than that, do what you want to your body. i don&#39;t live in other people&#39;s skin. i don&#39;t know the pain and stigma they may have suffered all their lives because of a large hump in their nose, or very large, heavy breasts, or facial moles or scarring, or extrememly thick eyeglasses do to nearsightedness that could be corrected with laser surgery. if the surgery makes you feel better about yourselves and makes it seem like the world isn&#39;t staring and gawking at you anymore, more power to you.

:heart

geekgurl
08-18-2004, 01:48 PM
I plan on getting a breast lift and reduction.

moonpower
08-19-2004, 10:03 PM
I&#39;ve had an eyelift and I love the results. My eyelids were very droopy and I looked sleepy, no matter what. I had no reservations about doing it and I would have something else done if I felt the need. I have large breasts and I&#39;m sure the older I get, the lower they&#39;ll go. I&#39;ll be picking them up as soon as I see the need!!

naps4sure
08-19-2004, 11:38 PM
Just passing along the website to an African American women cosmetic surgeon for those who might be interested......

African-American cosmetic surgeon (http://www.epollardmd.com/index.htm)

elleebeme5
08-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by BeYou7@Aug 14 2004, 04:29 AM
I don&#39;t believe in volunteering for surgery :tiptoe

but

I do believe in reconstructive surgery like breast reduction or deformities due to innate or accidents or if a person loses weight the RIGHT way, by exercising and as a result it leaves excess fat on their body, then YES

but

cosmetics surgery :shock , I&#39;ll pass because no matter what anyone says people who get cosmetic surgery have low self-esteem and instead of fixing/rebuilding/reorganizing/ their inside, they think by fixing their outsides will make them happier :doh

what they don&#39;t understand is the problem wasn&#39;t fixed, it was avoided :tiptoe
If a woman who has had and nursed children has to have a mastectomy, is it vanity or low self-esteem for her to have reconstruction? After all, the purpose of the breasts is to feed children, right? So if after that purpose has been met, what good are they? Or even she hasn&#39;t had children, it&#39;s still just vanity isn&#39;t it? You don&#39;t get your appendix or tonsils reconstructed do you?

stace
08-21-2004, 05:44 AM
I don&#39;t like needles, I&#39;ve watched too many plastic surgery shows to volunteer for uneccessary surgery. Not to mention I&#39;d be afraid I would look worse after than I did before.....
No thanks, I&#39;ll pass! I&#39;ll just have to be tore up from da floor up

z3000zee
08-22-2004, 11:09 PM
although i think it is fine for other people to have plastic surgery, i don&#39;t think i will have it unless it becomes medically necessary. i prefer a natural lifestyle and i am afraid something would go wrong with the surgery.

sunnedelight
08-22-2004, 11:25 PM
For me, it is not if I would have plastic surgery, it is when. I plan on having my tummy tuck, breast lift (laser bra like the other poster said) laser treatment for acne scars, mole removal, and that&#39;s probably it. I don&#39;t want to look like someone else but I want to put things back the way they were.

If people want to say I&#39;m vain, so be it. Low self esteem, alrighty then. It&#39;s my body, my money, my decision. I won&#39;t live my life worrying about how other people are going to view the choices I have made in my life.

I do wonder how many people that have had the surgery used to run around saying that only vain and people with low self esteem get surgery? I saw a quote like that in Essence or Ebony, can&#39;t remember which one. The woman always said that it was vain and then when she got older and things weren&#39;t like they used to be on her body, she turned around and did it herself, lol.

Surgeons that work on people like Lil Kim and Michael Jackson should have their licenses taken away. Those patients obviously have BDD and should have been referred to a shrink.