PDA

View Full Version : How Do Tell Grandma Not To Perm Those Babies Hair?

jmnappy
05-12-2003, 06:01 PM
This weekend, I conrowed 2 little girls' hair. I did this as a favor for their grandmother who is raising them. These girls are 6 & 9 yrs old with badly damaged perms. She takes them to the salon every couple of weeks for touch-ups. The 6 yr old's hair was so broken off in the back, I was afraid that there wasn't going to be enough hair to conrow. And their hair was shedding all over the place.

My own daughter is 8 yrs old, and I've never relaxed her hair. It takes me longer to do my baby girl's hair than it took for me to do the other girls' hair. But I'd rather take the time with healthy hair than to with a few strands of relaxed hair.

I would like to continue doing conrowed styles because their granny doesn't know to braid, but I don't work too well with damaged hair. Those girls need what's left of their hair cut off. How do I tell granny that these girls don't need a perm?

afronappy
05-13-2003, 04:39 AM
maybe you can kindly tell the gramma that you as a stylist do your best work on thick, healthy 100% natural nappy hair ONLY... anything less is jus 2nd best...

:rainfro:

phillygirl
05-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Maybe an offer of cornrowing the girls' hair on a regular basis will be enough of an incentive for grandma not to perm their hair anymore? Most likely, she's getting their hair permed thinking it will be easier for her to maintain, but once she sees how truly easy it is to maintain cornrows (practically maintenance-free for a week or two), plus see the return of her granddaughters' beautiful hair, I doubt it will take much to convince her to stop perming their hair. She probably already knows the perms are bad, but just doesn't know what else to do with it. If you can't maintain the girls' hair on a regular basis for a while, maybe you can suggest a neighborhood teenager or something that could help grandma out.

Twistie74
05-13-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by afronappy@May 12 2003, 11:39 PM
maybe you can kindly tell the gramma that you as a stylist do your best work on thick, healthy 100% natural nappy hair ONLY...
I agree.

Tell her that the styles will *cough* last longer *cough* if you do them on 100% unrelaxed hair.

happilynappy
05-13-2003, 09:51 PM
I would basically explain to her the damaging affects of a relaxer on any child's head and show her your daughters hair in comparison to her granddaugters hair. Sometimes it takes showing folks to convince them what is best. If their hair is breaking off and gramma doesn't have the knowledge or know how as to how to style then she really should opt for natural styles so the granddaughters will have flourishing hair.

jmnappy
05-15-2003, 07:00 PM
Thank you ladies for the advice. The 6 yr old was scared because she thought I was going to perm her hair. She was about to cry because she says it burns really bad. I'm going to offer my assistance to braid their hair on a regular basis. I'll approach the subject of not perming gently.