PDA

View Full Version : Attitudes Toward Hair In Professional Workplace

MONI881
08-05-2004, 07:38 PM
[FONT=Impact]

Hey all,

I'm going to be graduating from college in December and this semester will be (hopefully) going to several interviews. I was wondering a few things. BTW - I am currently 8 months into transition and am wearing my hair in a twistout (It's so cute I just figured out the perfect way to do it with my hair)

1. What is a good style (not too contriversial) to wear to an interview?
2. How accepting has your company been to your hair decisions?
3. Has anyone ever commented about your hair?
4. What is your occupation?
5. Can you get me a job there too? (halfway joking)

AJoyrnee
08-05-2004, 08:53 PM
I left my fast food job to work for my college...with all my naturalness!

My mother (along with other family's concerns) felt that the reason I wasn't hearing from employers was because my hair...

But lemme tell you something: I got interviewed last Thursday, was offered the job that following Friday, started training this past Tuesday...and it had NOTHING to do with my hair. (I give all praise and glory to God!)

My thing is this: wear your hair with dignity, integrity, and humility. My hair is a loose natural---a huge orange red glowing puff---and when I go to work, I have it in a way where it looks so professional and yet so different. The way I wear my hair reflects my attitude towards my job. I am a part-time receptionist, and I register students for courses offered at the college. I'm also a full-time student at the college.

The twist out style can work, depending on how you work it. It all just depends.

I have my "fun" styles, my "diva" styles, my "academica" styles, my "Boss Lady" styles." :bis And in each style, I still look good!

:rainfro

AJoyrnee
08-05-2004, 08:55 PM
I left my fast food job to work for my college...with all my naturalness!

My mother (along with other family's concerns) felt that the reason I wasn't hearing from employers was because my hair...

But lemme tell you something: I got interviewed last Thursday, was offered the job that following Friday, started training this past Tuesday...and it had NOTHING to do with my hair. (I give all praise and glory to God!)

My thing is this: wear your hair with dignity, integrity, and humility. My hair is a loose natural---a huge orange red glowing puff---and when I go to work, I have it in a way where it looks so professional and yet so different. The way I wear my hair reflects my attitude towards my job. I am a part-time receptionist, and I register students for courses offered at the college. I'm also a full-time student at the college.

The twist out style can work, depending on how you work it. It all just depends.

I have my "fun" styles, my "diva" styles, my "academica" styles, my "Boss Lady" styles." :bis And in each style, I still look good!

:rainfro

LBellatrix
08-07-2004, 01:29 PM
This question has been discussed many times in different forums. Now that I think about it those threads probably should be moved over here. I'll ask a moderator about it. :)

I'm a long way from where you are (been natural 9 years this Thanksgiving) so try to understand when I say that by wearing your hair in its natural state, you are only doing what 90% of the world is doing, including (most likely) the people who will be your supervisors and co-workers. So don't go into interviews thinking your hair is a big deal. Wear it like you mean it...and if somebody asks you about it, look at them like they're crazy. :lol

Having said that, in most cases a simple hairstyle is best for interviews. A neatly-shaped, picked-out 'fro should work (if it's not too big and distracting), as well as twists or a 'fro puff. Since you said you're transitioning, I'd probably choose a twistout or braidout puff over a full out-and-out twistout.

To your other questions:

When I did the BC I was a manager in a consulting firm. I didn't ask anybody's permission to go natural. It didn't ever OCCUR to me, to be completely honest with you. (It occurred to me AFTER I did the BC, but I got over it pretty quick.) I was in a mental state where the wearing of relaxed hair had become absolutely intolerable and I had to do something about it right away. If somebody had dared to say something, I probably would have cussed them out.

In 9 years of being natural, no company I've ever worked for has ever had a problem with my hair. This includes the 4 years I worked for the abovementioned consulting firm, and the last 5 years as a freelancer working for various clients.

Of course...but the vast majority of comments have been complimentary. In general, people who don't like my hair have enough common sense and home training to keep their opinions to themselves. Now I will say that my last gig was with a company with a high percentage of black women, and quite a few of THEM look at me cross-eyed...but I don't work for any of them, so I'm not concerned. Sad, but true. :lol

I'm a freelance technical writer/editor.

No. (halfway joking) :razz

Gloria
08-13-2004, 09:33 PM
I had a job interview yesterday and wore a twist out. I was hired and the interviewer was a white woman with long blonde hair. The only style that I would stay away from on job interviews is the BAA, other than that rock your style with confidence, impress the interviewer with your knowledge and personality and you are in there.

I know I didn't answer all of your questions but I hope this helps.

jaguar_03
08-15-2004, 07:11 PM
8) Well first let me say, "you can determine how the interviewer perceives you" if that make sense. No matter how you wear your hair, if you go into your interview confident with the required skills, you can make them want to hire you. If you are really worried about it, you can try more "conservative" styles.

I wore my hair out in a flat twist front/2 strand twist in the back to my interview, and my principal later told me she "liked the way I expressed myself," whatever that meant. Well good luck and I hope you get the job you desire. :)

Tallgirl
08-16-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by MONI881@Aug 5 2004, 02:38 PM
[FONT=Impact]

Hey all,

I'm going to be graduating from college in December and this semester will be (hopefully) going to several interviews. I was wondering a few things. BTW - I am currently 8 months into transition and am wearing my hair in a twistout (It's so cute I just figured out the perfect way to do it with my hair)

1. You can never go wrong with a puff where the accessory is not showing.

2. I've tried just about everything except for off the wall colors and there have been no complaints.

3. No

4. Healthcare

5. uhhhh.

LovelyJazz
08-17-2004, 04:10 AM
I had an interview last week, and I had done a braid-out two days before. I was somewhat scared about how I would look and how the interview perceived me. But, I thought my hair was cute!

I styled it very nicely, making sure every hair was in place, did my make up, and walked into the interview with a confidence I hadn't seen in a while. I'm saying walking with a pep in my step, and flashing my million dollar smile! :-) (*lol*)

:bis The interview called me that afternoon offering me the position!!! :bis

It's not about your hair, it's how you rock it!!! Your hair and personality should go together and be off the chain! :rainfro

But I must admit...I don't feel the same confidence every day...I'm working on it, though.

jmnappy
08-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Don't sweat it.

On my last interview, I wore twists.

I got the job.

MuthaErth
08-19-2004, 03:31 AM
i have locs, i currently work in retail, selling houses on the side, and i'm preparing to go back to school to work in the medical field. i usually wear my locs pulled back. i haven't had any problems or negative comments.

4mrcreamyuser
08-19-2004, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by MONI881@Aug 5 2004, 07:38 PM

1. Well, I wore two-strand twists (my hair is about five inches) and when my hair was shorter, I wore my 'fro. I was offered both jobs, not only because my hair is fly, but also because I was the right person for both positions.

2. My company is cool with it. I'm the only natural female. There are other AA women, but all five are permed. My male supervisor has a head of long beautiful locks. My hair really isn't an issue there.

3. I get the "how did you do that?" from AA and Caucasians. I just explain it. I get a few "oohs" and "aahs". Nothing negative, at least to my face anyway.

4. I'm a social worker

5. Sure, you can have my job when I quit :-)

Scrills
08-19-2004, 09:11 PM
I am a Unix Security Analyst (IT) for a large conservative bank. Everyone loves my "new hair". I did the BC in May after transitioning for a year. The other day I pulled out some old pictures and put them on my desk. Everyone tells me that my "new" hair looks so much better than that "old flat hair".

Today I wore a headband pushed back further than normal. Everyone was so excited. They talked about it all day.

Everyone here knows I have a creative spirit and they love to see what how I do my hair.

Epiphany_Castro
08-23-2004, 04:19 AM
Ahh.. we have come so far my friends. I recall 20 years ago,being asked to take my nose ring out and it was a retail job! I refused and quit. Later on I went natural with a TWA and so on and so forth. I never regretted my decision,even when a customer called me "nappy headed". For the past 7 years I have taught preschool. I now work on federal property,even though we are a non profit school,I still come across a lot of parents who are pretty conservative. I have tried to use this time as an opportunity to educate not only my 4/5 year old students,but their parents as well. My co -workers coudn't care less. It is a lot of very ignorant parents who ask silly questions. Most of my students have never seen a black person with real,(Not fake) long hair! I had a little girl ask where are my tracks!!!!!!! :shock

Barbie
09-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by MONI881@Aug 5 2004, 01:38 PM
[FONT=Impact]

Hey all,

1. I think a twist-out or braid-out will be fine. I wore a braid-out.

2. I mainly wear cornrows, twists, and twist-outs. I get genuine compliments from my principal (a 60 yr old white lady) all the time; its some of the younger coworkers that try to be sarcastic, go figure :rolling -

3. When I first got cornrows a couple of years ago three of my white co-workers (25 to 30 years) laughed when they first saw me, but then decided to compliment me :oops:

4. Seventh grade math teacher.

5. Sure, we always need more teachers :)

Edited to add my students love my hair and hair styles :-)

naiyaetta
09-06-2004, 03:18 AM
I haven't had any problems just yet. I still wear my hair in cornrows. I think that whenI want to wear differnt scarves and wear my fro. I have expressed to my manager of my hair and she seems very well, I guess OK with it but I don't know. I work ina public health facility, I am a dental assistant.

yardiespice
09-06-2004, 10:30 AM
I have an interview next week and l'm a bit worried about my hair. At the moment l've got real short twists (I re twisted them from comb coils) and they are going in every direction posible, almost like a short medusa. I dont mind it looking this way, in fact I quite like it, but l'm not sure if l walk into the interview if they'll think my hair is untidy.

What do I do???????

bijoks
09-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by yardiespice@Sep 6 2004, 10:30 AM
I have an interview next week and l'm a bit worried about my hair. At the moment l've got real short twists (I re twisted them from comb coils) and they are going in every direction posible, almost like a short medusa. I dont mind it looking this way, in fact I quite like it, but l'm not sure if l walk into the interview if they'll think my hair is untidy.

What do I do???????
If you want to get the twists to lie down a bit, you could either try wetting them and tying them down (in the direction you want them to lie) the day before your interview or alternately you could pin the twists down in any style you want with hair pins.

That said, I wouldn't say the style you described is rough but if you feel you would be uncomfortable with the style and that your discomfort will affect the way you conduct yourself at the interview , then the above suggestions may help.
hth

nattylocks
09-06-2004, 04:57 PM
1) A nice bun or chignon, variations of this.
2) Very much, I work in a clerical government position.
3) I only started getting comments after I decided to get locs, although I wore my hair natural since '94. Most white people asked if it was all my hair, if I did it myself, if I was wearing little braids, and of course Can I touch it? Sisters and brothers complimented me and asked me how long it took to get done. I had one slightly negative comment from a white supervisor that I had met for a brief meeting before I got locs and then didn't see again until after I'd had them a year. His comment was You had a softer hairstyle when I last saw you :huh
4) I'm a court stenographer.
5) If you were a CSR, I'd sure try :)