PDA

View Full Version : Religiously Ambiguous Songs

Twistie74
05-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Have you ever heard a song on a mainstream radio station that could easily be talking about the love or support from a significant other but turn on a gospel/christian station and hear the same song being played?

How do you feel about artists who make commercially marketed music as opposed to making songs that include mentions of God in them?

afrikankween
05-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Can I get an example, I cant seem to pull one of the top of my head?

CallaV
05-13-2003, 05:39 PM
I know that song by Celine Dion Because You Loved Me has been turned into a church song. I’ve heard it sung at some services and saw a video for it.

I have no problem with it. It can apply to any faith instead of just one so everyone can relate to it.

lovelyone
05-13-2003, 09:19 PM
If a song touches your heart and soothes your soul is really doesn't matter who the singer is. Anything that helps strengthen your relationsip with "your Creator" has got to a positive thing no matter what station you hear it on. :D

nappyanne
05-14-2003, 05:46 AM
Mariah's "Anytime you need a friend"

It's like you know she's talking about God in this song. But that would make her a "gospel" singer. Being classified under religion shuts out mainstream opportunities. That means less money basically.

mrandmrsmer
05-15-2003, 01:49 AM
I don't know if "Make It Happen" by Mariah was ever played on gospel/Christian music stations, but I remember from the lyrics it was very spiritual. Whatever happened to that Mariah? She was swallowed up by something else. LOL

Twistednkinky
07-28-2003, 03:57 AM
He Is by Heather Headley. There are more.....but that is the first one that comes to mind!

Joyfulocs
07-28-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Twistednkinky@Jul 27 2003, 10:57 PM
He Is by Heather Headley. There are more.....but that is the first one that comes to mind!
That's a good one.

A few years ago U2 put out the Joshua Tree album, which was full of songs like this. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For is the first one that comes to mind. Desire, especially the "clap" remix, is another one.

It also happens to be their absolute best album...imo. :afro:

elleebeme5
07-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Take Six does a lot music that could fall into this category

DivineSpirals
07-29-2003, 04:17 PM
I like songs that are "religiously ambiguous" because they sound more spiritual and less preachy. They allow the divinity in people to shione (rather than some conceptual being labeled with gender who lives far away). Also, since gospel has utilized "mainstream sound" to carry Biblical words, I thinks it's fair that mainstream spiritual/ love songs that are not Biblical utilize gospel sound/ plays on words (ie. "He Is" by Heather Headly, "It's All In The Way" by Earth Wind and Fire, "Orange Moon" [Then he turned to me, he saw his reflection in me...and said to me how good it is] by Erykah Badu).

LotsOfLocs
07-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by DivineSpirals@Jul 29 2003, 04:17 PM
"Orange Moon" [Then he turned to me, he saw his reflection in me...and said to me how good it is] by Erykah Badu).
Oh yea, Erykah has a lot of ambiguous songs.

ThisIsKia
07-30-2003, 10:24 AM
"Love" by Musiq and "The Truth" by India Arie

DivineSpirals
07-30-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ThisIsKia@Jul 30 2003, 10:24 AM
"Love" by Musiq and "The Truth" by India Arie
"Love" is a VERY good example. To this day I cannot figure out what he is talking about. Love almost sounds like "Lord"...and he says "those who have faith in you sometimes go astray." But then he says "longing for your kiss, for your touch." ummm. :shifty: but its a pretty song anyhow.