PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Stand It Any More!

ebonysea7
08-11-2004, 12:43 PM
I have old locs (8 years) that go down my back. They are so dry it's driving me nuts. Everything I use to moisturize them gets sucked up like a black hole. I've spent a lot of money trying many different products but have yet to find one that works. Any suggestions would be MOST appreciated.

(Forgive me if this discussion has occurred already. I tried unsuccessfully to do a search.)

/gfj

LBellatrix
08-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Hmmm...8 years, huh? I was thinking maybe you were a newbie like me, in which case I was going to tell you to start using conditioner again. I started again last month and wow...my locs are nice and soft.

But 8 YEARS...

Can you give us some details on your regular routine?

PHRIZZY
08-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Do you have any pics?

soleil
08-12-2004, 12:55 AM
Ebonysea7,
I agree with LBellatrix - please give us details on your regular hair maintenace routine. For a couple of months, I also had a problem with very dry locs although I am not at 8 years like you but at 2-1/2 years locing. However, I found out that my problem was the all natural shampoos or 100% organic shampoos I was using. When I took the advice of some loc wearers on this board and went to Suave Coconut Shampoo and also the Suave Raspberry and Suave ,Strawberry Shampoo, my hair became soft..no..softer! :) I just came to the conclusion that although I have heard it often ...some organic ingredients will tend to dry out the hair. Do you use organic shampoos? My routine has always been just wash once a week, and rinse daily..no oil..so when I switched shampoos..I saw a big difference with my locs being the softest myhair has ever been. Also, at one point, in my loc journey, I did try a little oil and water once or twice a week as a trial, but I can't explain why but I seem allergic to oils in my hair an dthey break me out and even make my hair dryer..In my past before going natural, I seem to have always had a problem w/oil breaking me out too and making my hair dry..so can it be the shampoo, oils, or a combination of both if you are sensitive as I am?

soleil :)

luvlilocs
08-14-2004, 03:57 AM
Hey, EbonySea7! I have 9 year old locs and I know what you mean about dryness. I use a homemade spritz. It's 2 parts water , 1 part olive oil. It does the trick! I also use Alma's recipe for a honey spritz. That makes my hair feel really soft and well hydrated. What are you using to wash your hair with?

I would love to see your pics, too!!! I want to see some other "loc vets" like myself! :)

freedai
08-14-2004, 04:40 AM
Luvlilocs, what are the measurements for the water and oil mix. i also use a oil and water mix but it seems like i have too much water. the same for the honey spritz. i've heard others say that the honey is too heavy on the hair so i do not want to use too much.

thanks

luvlilocs
08-14-2004, 04:52 AM
Greetings, Freedai!

I use 1.5 cups of water and little less than 1/2 cup of oil. I improvise alot. Whatever feels right. If I think I can use a litle more oil, I'll add a little more oil.

freedai
08-14-2004, 05:19 PM
thank you luvlilocs

ebonysea7
08-20-2004, 04:41 PM
I apologize for starting this topic and not following up. I appreciate everyone's comments. I hope to get up some pics of my 8 yr. old locs soon.

My regimen, such as it is, has been to wash my hair approximately every three weeks, previously with Aveda Rosemary Mint Shampoo, now with ORGANIC Root Stimulator Uplifting Shampoo. I've used various things to moisturize and give shine including ORGANIC Root Stimulator, Aveda and Carol's Daughter.

I like the idea of the spritz and I'll try Suave shampoo. I've heard good things about it before.

What do you all use for deep conditioning, BTW?

/gfj

23psalms
08-20-2004, 10:45 PM
Hi ebonysea7,

My locs aren't nearly as old as yours, (21 months) but I stopped using all the Organic Root Stimulator products because they were VERY drying for my hair. I am a freeformer, and I usually use black soap as a shampoo. I just break off a few pieces, but it in a squeeze bottle with some water, and squirt it close to my scalp. It lathers great, rinses extremely well, and leaves no residue. Every so often I'll use a shampoo from naani.com. I don't use conditioners, but occasionally I'll do a hot olive oil treatment. Hope this helps and good luck finding a solution.

jaykiss79
08-21-2004, 07:25 AM
I have three year old locs, and for the past few months I've been doing an olive oil regimen. What I do before shampooing my hair, I apply olive oil to the scalp and the rest of the hair. Put on a shower cap (see plastic bag!) and let sit for 1/2 an hour to an hour. Then proceed to washing normally. My hair rarely needs more oil for the rest of the week. Please let me know how it turns out.

PS: I usually do this once a week.

CrystalD
08-21-2004, 08:59 AM
hey jaykiss, i'm just wondering if you're able to get the majority of the oil out.

Whenever I do hot oil treatments (usually, once every month or two months), i have to sleep with an old pillow (plus a scarf) just to make sure the leftover oil doesn't seep through.

FreshStart
08-21-2004, 12:51 PM
A few tips:

1. Wet your hair more often - cuz dry hair needs water.
2. If you've got buildup, remove it - so the water can get to your hair
3. If your hair doesn't retain the water you feed it, use a product to help seal in the water (oils, light creams, gel, whatever - if any are too heavy, dilute with water or light oil).

As far as conditioning (I've always preferred creamy conditioners)...

I use Neutrogena's CLEAN Replenishing moisturizing conditioner. I've used Suave aloe vera and something by VO5 but the Neutrogena is my fav. And I always, always dilute my conditioner with water so that it's runny & rinses clean outta my hair. I wash weekly and usually use conditioner every other week. My locs are 3yrs and I haven't had a product buildup problem.

For deep conditioning, I used to do a hot oil treatment and that'd be all I needed. But since I damaged my hair back in Feb & it's behaving like dry hair from a color job, the hot oil doesn't work anymore. Today I'm washing my hair and I'll be combining some leftover conditioner with oil. I'll dilute the conditioner w/oil until it's a consistency that I like & rinses well w/water & then a good shampoo. Sit under the dryer for awhile and see how that goes for a deep conditioning treatment for me..

Hope you find something that works for you.

ebonysea7
08-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It looks like I basically need to simplify the products I've been using. I think I was trying to get too fancy and I've damaged my hair as a result. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

P.S. 23Psalms your avatar is hilarious! I couldn't help smiling watching that gal dance.

/gfj

Schiffon
08-21-2004, 01:47 PM
ebonysea7: I think you've received great advice so far. I want to suggest that you ditch the Aveda Rosemary Mint shampoo, that is the harshest most clarifying type of shampoo I have ever used. I used it when I during my second year of nappturality and my hair suffered. After the fact, I went to Aveda and discussed it with a sales person and they indicated that I should never have used that particular shampoo.

I've used sap moss which was fine, and there color preserve line which is also okay. The only Aveda product that I feel passionate about is the Sap Moss Nourishing Concentrate, it is a prewash that is so delicioius and I used it once every 5 weeks or so.

I can't imagine you having any type of build-up since you are using that powerful shampoo, my guess is your locs are stipped by it.

sharynleigh
08-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by jaykiss79@Aug 21 2004, 03:25 AM
I have three year old locs, and for the past few months I've been doing an olive oil regimen. What I do before shampooing my hair, I apply olive oil to the scalp and the rest of the hair. Put on a shower cap (see plastic bag!) and let sit for 1/2 an hour to an hour. Then proceed to washing normally. My hair rarely needs more oil for the rest of the week. Please let me know how it turns out.

PS: I usually do this once a week.
This is exactly the regimen that I use for my locs. My brother told me about it and I have to say my locs have never been shinier or softer. The oil washes out with a problem.

jaykiss79
08-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Cristal D,
I usually don't have excess oil in my locs...they tend to soak it up pretty quickly. And like I said before I do my regular routine following that. Shampoo thouroughly and dry my hair. Usually a good towel takes care of any "oil residue". Let me know how it turns out.

Joyfulocs
08-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Hmm... maybe that will help put a halt to this maddening breakage. :-P I'm at the point where I'm going to have to trim my locs back to prevent any more breakage.