PDA

View Full Version : Sweat And Locs

alma2254
08-12-2004, 10:21 AM
Especially now that it is hot, I tend to notice that if I go 2 days without rinsing my scalp - my locs start to feel really dry. Apart from liking the feeling of fresh locs, the dryness of my locs really becomes an issue. And the dryness usually occurs around the scalp areas or closer to the scalp on my locs.

Its never really like that in Winter so I was wonderring if sweat contributes to having very dry locs...

And for those who work out often, what are your thoughts?

Kdeuce001
08-12-2004, 11:04 AM
i would like to know too. I'm having the same issues. i workout a lot and wash my hair at least twice a week but i find that i have to oil it more than usual and condition it. I would love to hear advice.

thunderstorm
08-12-2004, 12:27 PM
your perspiration contains salt. salt dries things out. so as your sweat dries on your hair and scalp, the concentrated salt remains. it makes sense that this could be what is causing your dry hair and scalp.

freedai
08-12-2004, 05:22 PM
oh my gosh, i thought that i was the only one. i workout atleast 4times a week and my scalp itches like crazy. i don't usually like to wash my hair but like every 2wks because of the lack of time and the amount of time that it takes to twist. but recently i couldn't take it any more. i washed my hair this week and just let it go. i do believe that it is due to sweat and the summer time. what i usually do now after i wash is just spritz with water and apply some light oil and go. i try not to apply the oil directly to my scalp because after a days work i feel like it is too oil and it needs to be washed again. does any one have any suggestions as to what hair products that we can use for the summer time that is not too heavy on the scalp?

thanks all

khalualai
08-12-2004, 06:02 PM
I work out a lot and I work outside at least 2 days a week. I just sea breeze my scalp and then the itchies are gone and all is well. I normally spritz my hair with water after long sun exposure.

jaykiss79
08-13-2004, 05:38 AM
Like Thunderstorm said, it's due to the salt contained in the perspiration. For those of you who work out, it is recommanded that you wash your hair more often. However, if time (or lack there of) is an issue invest in an astringent in between washes...Use a light oil to keep scalp moisturized. Good luck! And keep us updated on new tricks! Peace!!!

alma2254
08-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks!

:heart

YuYu
10-27-2011, 05:04 PM
you all could just use water to rinse your hair after a workout instead of adding harsh shampoos daily. it works well for me.

Karibana
10-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Uh YuYu, notice that the last post before yours was in 2004...

YuYu
10-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Uh YuYu, notice that the last post before yours was in 2004...

lol. no i did not notice.