PDA

View Full Version : Starting Locs With Twist

chellefields
08-14-2004, 01:31 PM
[COLOR=orange] I've been locing my double strand twist for about 2 months now, I was using a all-in-one moisturizer by hawaiian silky, but decided to take au natural and switched to a honey, olive oil and water concoction..problems is my sides are growing faster than the rest of my head and the back (especially around my collar line) is extremely dry. :-? It's hard to palmroll after a wash/conditioner (being pregnant limits how long i can stand with my hands over my head working on hair)...any moisture suggestions or idea...i'm lovin my free form look, but don't want the humidity and dryness to break my hair out...HELP :-cre

yummyhoney06
08-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Well, from what I hear humidity is good for locs. The moisture helps our hair to curl up, which helps it loc.
As far as the dryness, how much water do you use in your honey spritz? My hair was a little dry too, but it helped when I added more water to my honey spritz.
Is you hair hitting your collar? If it is, it may help to keep it from rubbing on your collar. Just my .02...

sonshinescoils
08-15-2004, 03:25 AM
i was gonna say just about the same thing. also, you may want to increase the amount of water you drink. when my hair/scalp is dry, i spritz it with water/aloe juice/essential oil mixture. not a lot, just enough to refresh it. then i may follow with a drop of oil to lock in the moisture. i do this mainly because i play in my hair a lot, mostly without thinking, and i don't want my locpaw to encourage breakage. so i spritz. you might try that as well.

LocStar
08-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Greetings chellefields, I started my locs with double-strand twists and came into some of the same problems you talked about. Except for me the hair in the middle and top of my head grew fastest. The sides and the back were kinda stagnant. But, I did have dry scalp for a while, but my loctician would give me an herbal rinse after he shampoo'd my locs and would put me under the dryer for a bit (while hair was still wet) to keep the moisture in before he retwisted.

I also started a friends locs a few years ago with double-strand twists. I kept his hair moisturized with a oil/cream my former loctician makes. (Escofhari.com) But I think any home oil mix will do. Before you shampoo coat your locs with olive oil and any essential oil you like. Cover your locs with a towel for about 10 mins. The olive oil will replenish any lost moisture and depending on the essential oil, it will cleanse your scalp, which will cause more growth. I use peppermint oil in my hair.

Then take yummyhoney's advice and try to keep your collar off your neck. Also, what do you tie your hair down with? You may want to try a silk scarf which will not pull your hair out or make it too dry.

I hope this helps some.

chellefields
08-17-2004, 07:56 PM
thanks you all for your suggestions, I'll try them all, especially more water to my honey and olive oil...any particulars as far as essential oils...which seem to work best as far as moisture...I also think it may be time for me to visit a loctician, I've been maintaining them myself...peace and blessings..