PDA

View Full Version : Any Tofu Cookers In The House?

CatSuga
08-15-2004, 08:15 PM
How do I prepare tofu so that it is firm (like meat).

Aesys
08-15-2004, 08:26 PM
One of the ways I make it is to boil the whole block of tofu (have the tofu covered by the waater) for about 10 minutes after the water starts to boil. I drain and then squeeze all the water I can out of it. I cut it into some wide strips and put in a bowl. I cover the strips with soy sauce, fresh thyme, rosemary, and a few more seasonings. I let it marinate overnight and after that I dip the pieces in bread crumbs and then fry. I don't know if the consistency is what you would like, but my family likes it. You can probably bake it too to cut out the oil from frying. Oh yeah...I use the extra firm tofu.

blufaerie
08-17-2004, 04:45 PM
wow, Aesys, that was a great recipie...I'm going to try it soon.

As for making it firmer...I always freeze it. I drain it for a while in a colander (sp?) with a small plate acting as a weight on the tofu. Then I freeze the entire block in a baggie. Then when you want to use it, thaw it out by pouring boiling or very hot water over it...drain again and use.

teekydawg
08-18-2004, 04:29 AM
freezing then defrosting does give the tofu a chewy texture. i do this then marinate in olive oil vinegrette, cayenne, fresh garlic and parsley. my daughter loves to snack on this cold or add to salad instead of meat.

also, extra firm tofu with some barbeque sauce heated in the microwave is good.

i do a good curry tofu and veggie stew that's good but the tofu isn't meat like.

happy cooking

Joyfulocs
08-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Aesys@Aug 15 2004, 02:26 PM
One of the ways I make it is to boil the whole block of tofu (have the tofu covered by the waater) for about 10 minutes after the water starts to boil. I drain and then squeeze all the water I can out of it. I cut it into some wide strips and put in a bowl. I cover the strips with soy sauce, fresh thyme, rosemary, and a few more seasonings. I let it marinate overnight and after that I dip the pieces in bread crumbs and then fry.
I like this. I usually freeze mine, but this will work too!