PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff Driving Me Nuts

orelatx
08-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Heellpppppppp, i'm about to go nuts. i'm in the 3rd month of my locs, thing is since i started washing my locs every 2 weeks i've developed dandruff and an itchy scalp. what am i to do? i already do the apple cider vinegar rinse when i wash but at the start of the 2nd week i'm ready to go again. i actually scratched my scalp the other day till it bled. can someone help me out. how do i stop the itch and get rid of the dandruff? :-? regardless, i love my hair and won't change my decision to loc for anything. :thumbsup

freedai
08-16-2004, 05:03 PM
I was having this same problem which resulted in my having to wash my hair twice in the same week. What i did was change shampoos and used an elixir. I shampooed with Aveda Rosemary Mint and then used an Aveda Elixir (leave in Conditioner). My scalp is not itching that bad now but it still itches a little. I also realize that this time i washed my hair with filtered water instead of tap water. I have been looking at other people's Album and reading their hair routine and have found that a few also use Aveda Scalp remedy(for the itching), so i plan to invest in this. I hope this helps. Stay strong.

REDeemed
08-16-2004, 08:06 PM
My scalp was driving me crazy, too, the first couple weeks. I was using Scalpicin and that worked, but it burned a little bit, and I didn't like that. I switched to witch hazel and lemon juice, put that in an applicator bottle, and put it wherever my scalp itched. It worked well, and my scalp was NOTORIOUSLY itchy and dry because I have eczema. So I'd say try that, too. I know some people thinks that it dries your scalp out, but it's working for me, where tea tree oil did not. You'll find something! Stay encouraged!

Beryl
08-17-2004, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by orelatx@Aug 16 2004, 10:19 AM
i already do the apple cider vinegar rinse when i wash but at the start of the 2nd week i'm ready to go again.
Have you considered washing your hair every week? The ACV rinse works for me but I know I'd have an itchy scalp if I went more than 7 days without washing.

sonshinescoils
08-17-2004, 05:10 AM
sometimes when i'm really itchy either i'll rinse or massage my scalp. sometimes just getting that blood circulating can help a lot.

orelatx
08-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Beryl@Aug 16 2004, 10:27 PM

Have you considered washing your hair every week? The ACV rinse works for me but I know I'd have an itchy scalp if I went more than 7 days without washing. [/quote]
problem is everytime i wash my hair i have to retwist and i read that retwisting ur hair every week weakens the roots of ur locs making them prone to breaking. so i started this 2 week regimen which is ITCHY. i didn't have this problem when i washed my hair weekly. thanks for all the replies.

blackangel73
08-17-2004, 04:17 PM
I'd avoid any products in the sulfates family (sodium lauryl sulfate, ammonim lauryl sulfate, etc.)

I'd also wash more often.

If it slows the locing process down, so be it.

Clean hair and scalp have got to be better than gunky and itchy.

Beryl
08-18-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by blackangel73@Aug 17 2004, 10:17 AM
I'd also wash more often.

If it slows the locing process down, so be it.

:thumbsup

It may take your hair a while to lock. That is OK too.