PDA

View Full Version : Heat Damage...now What?

mzcjonez
08-18-2004, 06:18 AM
Hi Everyone! I had my last relaxer in July 2000. Unfortunately, now my wonderful head of hair is now a complete mess. My hair was pressed in Brazil in late May and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it. It's very weak and there are three different textures. My hair line is also thin from the braids I've been wearing. I know I need to cut it off and start again (my heart is breaking), but I don't want to wear a TWA. Can anyone give me suggestions on styles to wear until I have more new growth? I'm in the process of looking for a job so I need a nice style. Thanks!

PoetiklyFroed
08-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Hi mzcjonez,
welcome to the site. I see this is your first post. Sorry about your hair. Are you able to do double strand twists with your hair in its current state?
I'm not sure of what else to suggest besides looking at some albums on this site. I wouldn't suggest mine, because I don't have many styles in my album, but I really do like Jetblackkinks album. You can visit by clicking here (http://public.fotki.com/jetblackkinks/).
I know you stated you don't want a twa, but would you think about maybe considering it?
Either way, I hope you find a style that suits you.
-Poetikly

CallaLily
08-18-2004, 08:17 AM
Welcome, mczjonez!

I'm so sorry that your hair was damaged! Just how much of your hair is damaged? What is it doing? (breaking, burnt, limp, etc) I know you said that you don't want a twa, but just how short would your hair be if you cut it? I ask because people have different definitions of what's short hair.

Don't worry, yoor hair will bounce back in time. :)

pyogazel
08-18-2004, 08:29 AM
Hi mzcjonez,
welcome to the site :rainfro

whatever your choice of style, stay away from heat and stay avay from fake hair!
your scalp needs a rest, so if you flat twist or cornrow, be sure it's not tight!
you don't want a twa (which I can understand, though I don't share the opinion it conveys), but you might have to shave your head if you go on damaging your hair like this :-?

also, check the napptural style section, browse it and you'll see plenty of styles
How about a straw set for your interviews?

good luck :)

Ace9
08-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Okay you do realize you will have to cut your hair anyway? You don't want the damage ends extending itself over to the healthy hair in time.

I suggest getting a wig. Their not bad. I have several, I just like the way I look very very different in each, and still (natural). A fun alternative. Maybe get two of them, not to mention that their also extremely convenient.

So since I said get a wig, I recommend you go to the salon and get a big chop, rather than sitting on it. We've seen that braids, a protective style, has thinned out and damaged your hair. So you can't use this again, well not for a while yet. And hair manipulation should be left at a minimum except for basic plaits. So I say get yourself a big chop even though you don't want to. As the salonist if they have someone who can cornrow the hair you have left or two-strand twist it. And then put the wig on or wait until home and use it for a good few months.

This benefits you how?!

Well first off, now you won't have to worry about mainpulating your hair too much, to result in too much damage. The only manipulation will either be your hair in plaits and cornrows to protect the ends, and then the wig, which helps keep it safe from the effects of pollution. And defends your from any silly feeling of wearing a TWA in public.

Think about it. My best bet!