PDA

View Full Version : Help!

yardiespice
08-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Hi everybody, I'm Lexy aka yardiespice and I'm very new to this site and to the wonderful world of Locs!! I live in the UK and the resources for locs are very limited and not to mention expensive.

I made the decision to start my locs a month ago. 3weeks ago I visited a loctician in London for the first time and all she kept saying was 'you're hair is really short, I prefer to start locs on longer hair'. Straight away I felt so disappointed cuz I was under the impression that it could be started at a short length.....or am I wrong?

Now my hair is in comb coils and I'm suffering badly with dry, itchy scalp!

I've got a few question which I hope you can help me out with please:

1. Can I wash my hair at this stage? If so, with what?

2. What are the baby, teenage and mature locs stages?

3. When I go to get my hair retwisted, does the loctician pull the twists out or what? I'm not sure what happens there.

I look forward to your replies!!!! Thanks! :rainfro

Llyons
08-20-2004, 10:41 PM
How long is your hair?
I started my locs w/ braids and was therefore able to wash right away. I'm not sure what's suggested for comb coils.

yardiespice
08-27-2004, 12:29 PM
My hair is about an inch long. I actually washed it over the weekend and then finger twisted them back with the organics loc gel, most of them just came out as soon as the water hit it.

Afrocentric
08-27-2004, 07:16 PM
well w/ comb coils, the best thing to do is to use the astringent/q-tip method. you would apply the astringent (sea breeze, listerine or some kind of mouthwash) to the q-tip and rub the scalp.

another way would possibly be putting a stocking on your hair and washing your hair that way. anything that can be used to keep the coils in place. b/c they'd still get wet, there'd probably still be some twisting and tightening up but that's better than them falling down all together

yet another thing you could do is acv (apple cider vinegar) spritz...someone around here has the recipe for it. by applying that to the scalp, you can relieve some of the itchies.

as for the loctitian pulling the twists down, no. she'd continue to twist the existing coils. she'd clean your hair, retwist and have you under the dryer. that's it.

hth :heart

truediva27
08-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Yardiespice,

Whatever you do, don't PANIC!

I can't believe your loctician told you that! I started my locs with 1.5 inches of hair and I am enjoying the experience of watching it grow. I am now at 2.5 to 3 inches but of course I have shrinkage. To answer your questions:

3. When I go to get my hair retwisted, does the loctician pull the twists out or what?

1. I took maintainance in my own hands after 2 weeks. I didn't wash my hair at all. I used this herbal rinse which does not produce suds, its by Better Braids (A.K.A. Dry Shampoo). I would usually put that on and scrub with a lint free cloth, the same as my loctician did. I did not actually emerge my hair in water until just last week and I have been loc'd know for 2 1/2 months.

2. I can't really answer this one because I am still in the baby stage myself, however there is an article on this site on the different stages. I will search around and see where it is exactly and post it here for you.

3. Different locticians have different methods. My loctician started with fingertwists rather than comb coils. When I went to her for my first dry shampoo, she didn't untwist them at all. Since I have been maintaining my own hair, I don't untwist either. Just cleanse your scalp, retwist at the newgrowth, clip them down, and dry. At least that's my method. Good Luck to you.

truediva27
08-27-2004, 07:44 PM
Yardie,

Here is the info on the different stages of locdom. I knew I had seen it :doh . The moderator of nappturality posted this in the styles section right on the homepage. Go to the styles section and you will see a folder that says Hair Locking 101. I think you will find the information and tips there very helpful. It gives you tips on washing, how to wash, how to retwist, and things you can use to help the itchy dry scalp. I hope you find this helpful, at least I did..... :thumbsup

londongal
08-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by yardiespice@Aug 20 2004, 02:49 PM
I visited a loctician in London for the first time and all she kept saying was 'you're hair is really short, I prefer to start locs on longer hair'. Straight away I felt so disappointed cuz I was under the impression that it could be started at a short length.....or am I wrong?

Now my hair is in comb coils and I'm suffering badly with dry, itchy scalp!

I've got a few question which I hope you can help me out with please:

3. When I go to get my hair retwisted, does the loctician pull the twists out or what? I'm not sure what happens there.

I look forward to your replies!!!! Thanks! :rainfro
Yardiespice - hang on in there girl, i'm too from the UK, i can relate to what your experiencing re the itchies, i've i experienced it, i still am, Afrocentric has given good advice re Seabreeze or Listerine, give it a go - be patient with your journey.

1. I won't advise with what, as i'm still visiting my loctitian once a month, i'm not ready to do for myself.
2. Guessing, baby 0-3mth, teenage 3-9mth, mature 1yr +, someone correct me if i'm wrong
3. They go over the twists

What loctitian did you go to ? Good luck

sonshinescoils
08-27-2004, 08:37 PM
i'm thinking teenage would start around 9 months to 1 year--depending on the person's hair. that would be enough time for the locs to bud, and then redistributre before going into mature territory.