PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Sell Their Products?



honeychild
05-20-2003, 02:57 AM
i sold my hair&body products at a community event in march; thinking it would be fun and a good way to justify spending all this money on ingredients ;)

i kind of thought it would be a one-time thing, but since then the demand has steadily grown among folks who were there, and friends and family, and my husband urged me to add this to our steadily growing stable of hustle activities ;) i finally put together my bodycare products site and wanted to share. oyin hair & body stuff (http://www.exittheapple.com/oyin)

aquababie19
05-20-2003, 04:27 AM
wow...i love your site and your products look cool. i'm trying my hand at selling products as well.

jazzypom
05-20-2003, 12:23 PM
that's great - for us by us, huh?

whenever i'm in the states, i will order then.

Transatlantic shipping costs are a biatch.

Jazz

lydicarol
05-20-2003, 12:49 PM
Congratulations!!! I love the site and may actually purchase the honeystick (looks delish). I know that you're in NY let me know the next venue that you're going to be selling your products and I'll try to be there.

Oh and lol @ Come join Oyin in the fight against ash and the quest for a more moisturized world. ;-)


I'm considering selling mine (fam keeps pushing me to) but I only have one product- LOL!!! When I get a chance I probably will on the side. ;)

blumoonbabe
05-20-2003, 01:33 PM
I'm working on it :D *running off to check out oyin*

blumoonbabe
05-20-2003, 01:36 PM
Body Lightning! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CEE26
05-20-2003, 03:37 PM
i sell my hair oil..but i don't have a website

your website looks good

Na
05-20-2003, 04:48 PM
Great looking web site. I'm putting together my own lil oils and butters to sell. Though I only have 4. But hey its a start.

honeychild
05-20-2003, 05:01 PM
hey thanks for checking it out, yall! and thanks for the positive feedback. you know the fight against ash is the good fight! hee hee.

it's good to hear so many of us are thinking of doing this. it takes something of a mental leap to start making things for folks other than yourself but just as much as we love using the things we've made, others would love it, too. & you'd be surprised what a good printer and some labels will do to transform your homemade goodies into something gourmet-looking! ;)

and oh yeah... once i started thinking of those marks on my hips as 'body lightning' my world turned into a different place :wub: ...dh also calls them 'tiger stripes' but i didn't think that'd lend itself quite as well to the name of a bodycare product. :unsure:

blackgurll
05-20-2003, 06:07 PM
Honeychild, liked the site. I am about ready to order all sorts of things (recovering bath and body product junkie here).
The whipped cream is particularly attractive to me. I noticed that there's beeswax in it though. I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that Beeswax was a heavy duty hard fat, one you would use when trying to lock or fix your hair into a set. Please enlighten me. Also, is it (the beeswax) liable to clog pores, or is it fine for daily use?

honeychild
05-20-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by blackgurll@May 20 2003, 02:07 PM
Honeychild, liked the site. I am about ready to order all sorts of things (recovering bath and body product junkie here).
The whipped cream is particularly attractive to me. I noticed that there's beeswax in it though. I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that Beeswax was a heavy duty hard fat, one you would use when trying to lock or fix your hair into a set. Please enlighten me. Also, is it (the beeswax) liable to clog pores, or is it fine for daily use?

thanx, blackgurll, and no you're not mistaken... beeswax is pretty heavy-duty stuff. i've never used it pure, even when i was locking/locked, but as a limited ingredient in a mixture it can serve as a wonderful stiffening agent. the aloe/water content of the whipped pudding is high, and some of my early batches turned out too goopy. when i added a little beeswax to my recipe it returned body to the mixture. total percentage is probably between 5-10% total volume. i use the pudding on my skin -- hands, feet, and even my face in the wintertime -- with no adverse effects or pore clogging.

i also use beeswax in the honeysticks, so that the result will be hard enough to push up & hold together in the chapstick containers. you'd be surprised how far honey will go to goopify a butter mixture ;)

Autumn
05-20-2003, 07:39 PM
hey Honey chil you go gurl :thumbsup:

when i get my act together i am planning on doing that over here in the UK, limited supply on real natural beauty products.

i might have to hit you up for some tips :P

all the best

A

CurlsWannaHaveFun
05-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Wow! Your site and products look great and very tempting.

MsAfrodite
05-21-2003, 01:55 AM
Honeychild!!!, Whoa, I love :pumpheart: your sight! I think I'm going to sample some of your items. The site is so real, and pleasant! :thumbsup: Why don't you visit the swap and sell board and place the link to your site there! Do your thang Ms. Lady, because you definitely have it together!

MsAfrodite

honeychild
05-21-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by MsAfrodite@May 20 2003, 09:55 PM
Honeychild!!!, Whoa, I love :pumpheart: your sight! I think I'm going to sample some of your items. The site is so real, and pleasant! :thumbsup: Why don't you visit the swap and sell board and place the link to your site there! Do your thang Ms. Lady, because you definitely have it together!

MsAfrodite
thanks, MsAfrodite! that's a good idea. :rainfro:

dembasamba
05-21-2003, 04:45 AM
I want to sell my products eventually. I was inspired by jessicurl over on naturally curly who has a small empire by now, I am sure.

However, I feel like I have to wait until I learn more about the process. Like issues like shelf life and preservatives, I am still learning about. I want to have more experience with how the products work before I go public. I just give them away for now. Get feedback and try to make the recipe better next time. I hope to move on to soaps. I am shooting for the holiday season. I think that a giftpack with: a body/hair butter, a bath/massage oil, loofah and a soap packaged in just the right way would make a killing around holiday season. Don't sleep ladies.

nubian indigo
05-25-2003, 08:28 PM
Honeychild, your site is very nice. Luv the colors and your products sound delightful. Very impressive!! :thumbsup:

Yes...I have most DEFINITELY been bitten by this bug as well. And I am in total 'hand crafter' mode right now.

Been preparing by taking part of business planning workshops, expo's, etc. & making plans on an official opening date very soon one of the reasons why I have been like M.I.A. lately (I have been working, researching, etc., for like the last year or so...WHEW. It is not a simple thing so I can TOTALLY appreciate where you ladies are at. Always experimenting...and working on the development of the interactive/online store - [website]. Shopping around the city for an appropriate 'space' to showcase my products. All THAT...

hmmmmm I see I will be needin' to pm some of yall in the future on it, and it is o.k. to do the same...as well as contacting me at nubianindigo@hotmail.com...

They do say that great minds think alike. So I give all of my hard working sistahs much love for all of their efforts...here's to many fruitful returns...

nubian indigo :clap: :hug: :clap:

daezhavoo
05-26-2003, 03:44 AM
Hi Honeychild!
Your site is off the hook sweetie! That's the final frontier for me...getting my site ready...your products look wonderful...I love to see young sisters doing it...way to go!!.. :D (((HUGS)))...

synergy
05-27-2003, 11:18 PM
What a wonderful site! Your products sound wonderful. I am making a note to order some for my sisterfriend holiday gift baskets B)

Fansia
05-28-2003, 11:05 PM
:thumbsup: honeychild your site and products look great
i think it's sooooo cool that nappturals are making there
own natural stuff and are selling it to and buying it from eachother.
It truly touches my heart to see lots of napturals turn into entrepreneurs.

nappyumm
06-04-2003, 06:57 PM
honeychild, very impressed, honey!

creative website, nice product narrations, natural looking, fun, earthy...everything us girls like.

enjoy your success!

nappyumm :pumpheart:

mrandmrsmer
06-05-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by honeychild@May 19 2003, 09:57 PM
i sold my hair&body products at a community event in march; thinking it would be fun and a good way to justify spending all this money on ingredients ;)

i kind of thought it would be a one-time thing, but since then the demand has steadily grown among folks who were there, and friends and family, and my husband urged me to add this to our steadily growing stable of hustle activities ;) i finally put together my bodycare products site and wanted to share. oyin hair & body stuff (http://www.exittheapple.com/oyin)
Work yo' hustle, Sistah! :D

I might have to try your lightning bar product when it's back in stock! :)

kudurunzinga
06-05-2003, 05:03 AM
:pumpheart: All I can say is....WOW!! Everything looks great!!! I have already added the whipped pudding and hair tea to my wish list, so next time I get paid I will definately be contacting you. Okay, now I have to go bookmark your site and tell my natural friends!!
:rainfro: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :rainfro:

FreeToBMe
06-08-2003, 02:30 PM
I just wanted to say that I loved your site and I bookmarked it. I will be ordering some honey sticks, bath bags, and hair tea! I love natural products!

honeychild
06-09-2003, 01:14 AM
thanks so much for the affirmation, ladies!!

:pumpheart: :afro: :D

NappGirlCurl
06-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by dembasamba@May 20 2003, 11:45 PM
I want to sell my products eventually. I was inspired by jessicurl over on naturally curly who has a small empire by now, I am sure.

However, I feel like I have to wait until I learn more about the process. Like issues like shelf life and preservatives, I am still learning about. I want to have more experience with how the products work before I go public. I just give them away for now. Get feedback and try to make the recipe better next time. I hope to move on to soaps. I am shooting for the holiday season. I think that a giftpack with: a body/hair butter, a bath/massage oil, loofah and a soap packaged in just the right way would make a killing around holiday season. Don't sleep ladies.
That's me all the way. I have my guinea pig friends here at home and on the net that I send stuff to for testing :D .

I hope to be ready by Fall or Winter....

Be on the lookout for NappNoir!

redlight6290
06-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Maybe all you guys that want to start your own company should become partners and pool all your money and resources together.

Honeychild,
Great website.

Aminah
06-12-2003, 12:50 AM
Humble Hearth Handcrafted Soaps and Sundries in the house!

We are working on getting our webpage on-line and running shortly. In the meantime, if there is anyone interested in handcrafted, lye soap like your grandmom used to make, give us a holler and we will be more than happy to send you our brochure.

To whet your appetite we have products such as:

Handcrafted Soap:
Luscious Lavender
Lovely Lilac
Patchouli
Tea Tree
Blackberry Sage
and more

Shower Gels: Egyptian Musk, Pearberry and more

Body Silks

Bath Teas

Contact us, we'll get you the "hook-up"

Aminah Clements
Humble Hearth Soaps
e-mail: sales@humblehearthsoaps.com

twistedmama
06-12-2003, 02:20 AM
Love to see sistas working that hustle bug. I have not been able to see your site honeychild but I will soon.

Personally, I have been making soaps and some cremes. I given out samples of my soaps (Oatmeal & Orange Peel Delight) to some ladies at work and around the neighbor hood for Mother's Day and they loved it. And put in orders for more. I have sold quite a few soaps so far. I am however still experimenting with making lotions,cremes and body butters. And money being what it is, production is lower than the demand right now. But I have realized that this is my passion. It will happen in its own time.

Soaps Made to Date:

Triple Rosemary
Oatmeal & Orange Peel Delight - top seller
Oatmeal & Milk
Herbal Chamomile
Lemongrass & Ginger


Look out for these and more products soon. :thumbsup:

aquababie19
06-14-2003, 11:28 PM
for those of you already selling your products, where do you purchase your labels?? thanks on credit :lol:

lilkinkyc
06-15-2003, 05:39 PM
Honeychild I really love your site!!! Makes me what to try to make some things.

sene
06-15-2003, 06:40 PM
Good luck Honey, your site looks good! :)

Zanzibardotcom
06-18-2003, 05:59 AM
Luv your site. It's out of sight! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

blkrighteousspace1
06-19-2003, 01:52 PM
you know....i gotta big you up...Mz Businesslady....you are truly my inspiration for putting some of my things out on the market i just gotta get it in motion (i already have a little workshop in the making....turned the spare bedroom into my blkCREATIVEspace1....i guess the chicken-shat in me is real hesitant because i just do it for myself....and now since Carol's Daughter is about to jack her prices up....i'm going to start doing it more....but when and if i do....i'm gonna bombard you with TONS of questions....and i'm gonna drive you and the other kitchen chemists NUTS having y'all test out my samples. :D I also have to get my web spinning(design) skills back up to par

@aqua- i design my own labels on my color printer and i purchase the transparent stickers from office depot...or office max.

aquababie19
06-19-2003, 02:57 PM
thanks blkrighteous. i did find what i was looking for at office depot the other day. since i make products for the bath, i am gonna try to waterproof the labels. i am on my way. i have my business cards, designed my labels and am jarring products up as we speak.

all yall ladies are such an inspiration !!!

JSinChicago
06-19-2003, 04:42 PM
Don't know how useful this will be, but here's a site for a handmade beauty products "trade guild". You have to pay for the membership, but in return, you can get listed so folks can find you.

http://www.handmadetoiletries.com/

I look forward to seeing product reviews in the Commercial Hair Products thread! :)

ETA: link... forgot the silly thing :)

honeychild
06-20-2003, 04:22 AM
thanks for adding that trade guild link. you ladies who make stuff sound totally delicious! we should have a nappturality storefront webring! ;)

i just found a link for a label paper company: they have labels made fron vinyl, polyester, and treated paper, and will die-cut the paper to whatever specs you give them. then you print on your inkjet, and can apply a protective spray to the labels to make the ink waterproof. seems like a better deal than applying clear tape over the labels to protect them! ;)

the link is rippedsheets.com (http://www.rippedsheets.com/faq.html), and i haven't ordered from them yet but i'm mightily intrigued. here's something tasty from their FAQ's page:

Q: How do I make waterproof labels?
A: Many customers have already printed Instrument Front Panels, Drum Labels, Personal Care Labels, Outdoor Decals, Window Stickers, Race Car Decals, and hundreds more. Rippedsheets has Waterproof Matte and Waterproof Vinyl Inkjet Label Material, which is designed to useyour off-the-shelf color inkjet with the standard inks. Our material will convert your inkjet into a non-smear, waterproof ink. You have to see it to believe it. Our White and Clear Poly Laser label material is also waterproof, solvent resistant and scuff resistant if printed properly (please see Technical Support). Many people are using our laser poly material to make prototype labels and decals for submittals to such agencies as UL®,CSA® and others. We also have a low temperature label material available that is rated -80°C.

aquababie19
06-20-2003, 05:29 AM
i found that site the other day as well @ honeychild.

nubian indigo
06-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Thank you ladies for the label info...such an important detail...

:pumpheart:

nubian

aquababie19
07-02-2003, 08:54 PM
hey ladies...

a week or so ago, i found out how to waterproof the labels. this is essential for my products because i am making bath salts and salt scrubs. anyway, i found a soapmaker's website that mentioned you could use either acrylic clear glaze or clear krylon spray. i tried the krylon spray and it did work. i ran a label under water and it did work. just wanted to share!

i got the spray from michael's ( i luv that place) for about $2 and some change.

nottyfreedom
07-03-2003, 05:44 AM
i love your site. feels like home. im already looking to orfer the tea bags and bath bags. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i keep tellin ya, u'z a bad mamajama!

notty

honeychild
07-03-2003, 03:59 PM
thanks, nottyfreedom! :pumpheart:

aquababie, that krylon spray idea is so smart! how is the finish? is it glossy? are the labels still flexible? do they still look like paper or do they take on a plastic-like look?

aquababie19
07-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by honeychild@Jul 3 2003, 10:59 AM
aquababie, that krylon spray idea is so smart! how is the finish? is it glossy? are the labels still flexible? do they still look like paper or do they take on a plastic-like look?
with what i used, the finish is not super shiny, but more like a little glossy. and yes they are still flexible. i sprayed mine about 3 times, letting them dry between each spraying. they don't look like plastic either.

now i bet if you used something heavier, maybe like the acrylic glaze, you would get a shinier label.

delightfulflame
07-08-2003, 08:16 PM
I just want to say that I love you gals! I'm just beginning to experiment, but I will be joining the ranks soon!

InspiredLocs
07-12-2003, 11:17 PM
Oh my goodness Honeychild, you site is the bomb! I absolutely love it! And I will be ordering. I think it is very important to support one another. You've done a great job!!!! :hug: :thumbsup: :pumpheart:

PoetryIsMyPassion
07-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Well I've been making products for most of my journey, however I just made the move to sell my hair cream to my one of friend's who just made the big chop. I was really hesitant but after continuous persuasion, I made her a customized blend of my hair cream and of course she loved it. LOL! However, I may have started something cause everyone asks her about it. I will keep you all posted on the progress.

Woman
07-22-2003, 01:14 PM
For those of you who make and sell homemade products, did your products have to be approved by FDA?

TIA! :pumpheart:

twistedmama
07-22-2003, 11:39 PM
I am new to this, but as I understand it as long as you do not claim to get rid of wrinkles or have an antiaging cream, you can pretty much sell your stuff with out any problem. This would also include what you list as your ingredients. There is a slew of information on what the FDA allows and the cosmotology industry.

When I get back to my home computer I will attach some of the links I have

Woman
07-22-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by twistedmama@Jul 22 2003, 06:39 PM
I am new to this, but as I understand it as long as you do not claim to get rid of wrinkles or have an antiaging cream, you can pretty much sell your stuff with out any problem. This would also include what you list as your ingredients. There is a slew of information on what the FDA allows and the cosmotology industry.

When I get back to my home computer I will attach some of the links I have
Wow! Thank you very much! :pumpheart:

twistedmama
07-24-2003, 02:26 AM
I got this off a soaping usergroup from www.the-sage.com.
It may not have all the information you need but there are links to point you in the right directions to what the fda does and does not allow

Pretty long so get ready:

Hi! I keep seeing messages that say that it is unlawful to use the term
"moisturizing" when describing soap or lotions. The FDA guidelines very
clearly state that the word "moisturizing" is ok. It is not a claim
that the
product changes the physiological composition and does not imply that
the
product is used to treat disease.

This site spells it all out ... if you can translate all the
mumbo-jumbo.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-218.html

The FDA only qualifies a product as a drug if it changes the physiology
of
the body or is used to treat or prevent a disease or illness. Products
that
"moisturize" or "beautify" are considered cosmetics. Here's the FDA's
definition:

"The Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act defines drugs as those products that
cure,
treat, mitigate or prevent disease or that affect the structure or
function
of the human body. While drugs are subject to a review and approval
process
by FDA, cosmetics are not approved by FDA prior to sale. If a product
has
drug properties, it must be approved as a drug." (Taken from
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-217.html)

and ...

"The FD&C Act defines cosmetics as articles intended to be applied to
the
human body for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or
altering
the appearance without affecting the body's structure or functions.
This
definition includes skin-care creams, lotions, powders and sprays,
perfumes,
lipsticks, fingernail polishes, eye and facial makeup, permanent waves,
hair
colors, deodorants, baby products, bath oils, bubble baths, and
mouthwashes,
as well as any material intended for use as a component of a cosmetic
product.

Products that intend to treat or prevent disease, or otherwise affect
structure or function of the human body are considered drugs. Cosmetics
that
make therapeutic claims are regulated as drugs and cosmetics, and must
meet
the labeling requirements for both. A good way to tell if you're buying
a
cosmetic that is also regulated as a drug is to see if the first
ingredient
listed is an "active ingredient." The active ingredient is the chemical
that
makes the product effective, and the manufacturer must have proof that
it's
safe for its intended use. For products that are both drugs and
cosmetics,
the regulations require that active ingredients be listed first on
these
products, followed by the list of cosmetic ingredients in order of
decreasing predominance.
Examples of products that are both cosmetics and drugs are dandruff
shampoos, fluoride toothpastes, antiperspirant deodorants, and
foundations
and tanning preparations that contain sunscreen.

Before products with both a cosmetic and drug classification can be
marketed, they must be scientifically proven safe and effective for
their
therapeutic claims. If they are not, FDA considers them to be
misbranded and
can take regulatory action." (Taken from
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fdconfus.html)

The FDA's definition of soap is rather involved. It seems to imply that
"pure" lye soap does not have to be labeled unless it contains
ingredients
beyond the fatty acids and salts created in saponification and is sold
purely as soap. I think we all label our soaps anyway, but if we say a
soap
is moisturizing or soothing, that makes it a cosmetic in the FDA's eyes
and
therefore must list the ingredients.

Woman
07-24-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by twistedmama@Jul 23 2003, 09:26 PM
I got this off a soaping usergroup from www.the-sage.com.
It may not have all the information you need but there are links to point you in the right directions to what the fda does and does not allow

Pretty long so get ready:

Hi! I keep seeing messages that say that it is unlawful to use the term
"moisturizing" when describing soap or lotions. The FDA guidelines very
clearly state that the word "moisturizing" is ok. It is not a claim
that the
product changes the physiological composition and does not imply that
the
product is used to treat disease.

This site spells it all out ... if you can translate all the
mumbo-jumbo.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-218.html

The FDA only qualifies a product as a drug if it changes the physiology
of
the body or is used to treat or prevent a disease or illness. Products
that
"moisturize" or "beautify" are considered cosmetics. Here's the FDA's
definition:

"The Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act defines drugs as those products that
cure,
treat, mitigate or prevent disease or that affect the structure or
function
of the human body. While drugs are subject to a review and approval
process
by FDA, cosmetics are not approved by FDA prior to sale. If a product
has
drug properties, it must be approved as a drug." (Taken from
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-217.html)

and ...

"The FD&C Act defines cosmetics as articles intended to be applied to
the
human body for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or
altering
the appearance without affecting the body's structure or functions.
This
definition includes skin-care creams, lotions, powders and sprays,
perfumes,
lipsticks, fingernail polishes, eye and facial makeup, permanent waves,
hair
colors, deodorants, baby products, bath oils, bubble baths, and
mouthwashes,
as well as any material intended for use as a component of a cosmetic
product.

Products that intend to treat or prevent disease, or otherwise affect
structure or function of the human body are considered drugs. Cosmetics
that
make therapeutic claims are regulated as drugs and cosmetics, and must
meet
the labeling requirements for both. A good way to tell if you're buying
a
cosmetic that is also regulated as a drug is to see if the first
ingredient
listed is an "active ingredient." The active ingredient is the chemical
that
makes the product effective, and the manufacturer must have proof that
it's
safe for its intended use. For products that are both drugs and
cosmetics,
the regulations require that active ingredients be listed first on
these
products, followed by the list of cosmetic ingredients in order of
decreasing predominance.
Examples of products that are both cosmetics and drugs are dandruff
shampoos, fluoride toothpastes, antiperspirant deodorants, and
foundations
and tanning preparations that contain sunscreen.

Before products with both a cosmetic and drug classification can be
marketed, they must be scientifically proven safe and effective for
their
therapeutic claims. If they are not, FDA considers them to be
misbranded and
can take regulatory action." (Taken from
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fdconfus.html)

The FDA's definition of soap is rather involved. It seems to imply that
"pure" lye soap does not have to be labeled unless it contains
ingredients
beyond the fatty acids and salts created in saponification and is sold
purely as soap. I think we all label our soaps anyway, but if we say a
soap
is moisturizing or soothing, that makes it a cosmetic in the FDA's eyes
and
therefore must list the ingredients.
God Bless You! :pumpheart: :pumpheart: :pumpheart:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

aquababie19
07-27-2003, 12:07 AM
i've found a site for ordering bottles and jars. it's called sks-bottles (http://www.sks-bottle.com/)
the bottles are cheaper per case than those on fnwl. but they have at least $50 internet order policy. but the prices seems pretty good. i haven't ordered from them yet, but i plan on it.

italdumpling
07-28-2003, 04:04 PM
i've found a site for ordering bottles and jars. it's called sks-bottles

Thanks for the link. I just order some jars off ebay and paid more for them on ebay than they're charging on this site.

aquababie19
07-29-2003, 02:07 PM
ok ladies i found another thing someone else might need. i purchased sealing disks for my salt glows. i had been searching and even fnwl didn't have any (unless i overlooked them). i can securely package my glows without worrying about oil leakage. the name of the site is soapies-supplies (http://www.soapies-supplies.com/)



Thanks for the link

not a problem. i've been comparing their prices and i do think they have the best around.

honeychild
07-29-2003, 10:03 PM
aquababie, i started spraying my paper labels with the clear acrylic krylon and i LOVE the results!!!!! thanks so much for the tip! ;) :thumbsup: :pumpheart:

aquababie19
07-30-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by honeychild@Jul 29 2003, 05:03 PM
aquababie, i started spraying my paper labels with the clear acrylic krylon and i LOVE the results!!!!! thanks so much for the tip! ;) :thumbsup: :pumpheart:
you're welcome @ honeychild. i love it too...wish i could take full credit for it. i've found lots of neat ideas on the net lately.

Tamala
08-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by aquababie19@Jun 19 2003, 09:57 AM
thanks blkrighteous. i did find what i was looking for at office depot the other day. since i make products for the bath, i am gonna try to waterproof the labels. i am on my way. i have my business cards, designed my labels and am jarring products up as we speak.

all yall ladies are such an inspiration !!!
hey Aquababie, I was wondering where did you buy your jars from? Please keep us posted when your site si up :thumbsup:

Diamonique
08-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by honeychild@Jul 29 2003, 06:03 PM
aquababie, i started spraying my paper labels with the clear acrylic krylon and i LOVE the results!!!!! thanks so much for the tip! ;) :thumbsup: :pumpheart:
A question about this: Do you spray the whole sheet of labels after they come out of the printer? Or do you spray each one separately after you peel them off the sheet?

-- Diamonique (I gotta try this one!)

honeychild
08-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Diamonique@Aug 2 2003, 11:22 AM
A question about this: Do you spray the whole sheet of labels after they come out of the printer? Or do you spray each one separately after you peel them off the sheet?

-- Diamonique (I gotta try this one!)
i spray each sheet after it's dry from the printer. then peel off and apply. they don't smear from a wet finger, and it actually brightens up/intensifies the ink colors some. :thumbsup:

Diamonique
08-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by honeychild@Aug 2 2003, 11:57 AM

i spray each sheet after it's dry from the printer. then peel off and apply. they don't smear from a wet finger, and it actually brightens up/intensifies the ink colors some. :thumbsup:
Thank you thank you thank you!! My labels are beginning to run low, so I'll be buying this krylon spray and some new labels very soon.

What a lifesaver this will be!

-- Diamonique

aquababie19
08-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Tamala+Aug 1 2003, 01:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tamala @ Aug 1 2003, 01:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--aquababie19@Jun 19 2003, 09:57 AM
thanks blkrighteous. i did find what i was looking for at office depot the other day. since i make products for the bath, i am gonna try to waterproof the labels. i am on my way. i have my business cards, designed my labels and am jarring products up as we speak.

all yall ladies are such an inspiration !!!
hey Aquababie, I was wondering where did you buy your jars from? Please keep us posted when your site si up :thumbsup: [/b][/quote]
i&#39;ve gotten them from fnwl, but next time i make a big order of jars, i am going to order from sks-bottles. as of yet, i don&#39;t have a site. i&#39;m only selling locally. once i receive my sealing disks in, i should be able to do mailouts. i would love to get a site though. can you ladies with websites give me any advice...web hosting, things of that nature.


A question about this: Do you spray the whole sheet of labels after they come out of the printer? Or do you spray each one separately after you peel them off the sheet?

if i&#39;m doing an entire sheet, i spray the label. with the oils make i don&#39;t sell as many, so i usually do those one at a time. i mean i ran a test label under a full force faucet...and no smudging. i&#39;m using inkjet, so i had to make sure of that. however i think i am gonna have to use labels with a little more adhesive or make another trip to michael&#39;s.

Diamonique
08-02-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by aquababie19@Aug 2 2003, 01:09 PM
as of yet, i don&#39;t have a site. i&#39;m only selling locally. once i receive my sealing disks in, i should be able to do mailouts. i would love to get a site though. can you ladies with websites give me any advice...web hosting, things of that nature.
Aside from my bath & body products, I&#39;m also a freelance web designer. When you&#39;re ready, look me up. I guarantee a beautiful web site at an affordable price. I have a good inexpensive web host that I recommend to all my customers, too.

My web site: Sannicron Web Design (http://www.sannicron.com)

Recommended web host: Cedant Hosting (http://www.cedant.com)

-- Diamonique

honeychild
08-03-2003, 03:14 AM
another freelance web designer here; i did my own site as well. there&#39;s another inexpensive hosting option @ eryxma (http://www.eryxma.com/services.shared.php) ... you can get 100 MB of storage on a shared server for $35 a year or $4 per month. 99% uptime and wonderful customer service.

if that doesn&#39;t mean anything to you, check out the FAQ&#39;s at my design partner&#39;s site follow your art (http://trustlife.net/fyadesign/fyadesign.html). it&#39;s a bunch of answers to commonly asked questions and a good introduction to the whole idea of building a website in laywoman&#39;s terms. you can also see my partner&#39;s portfolio there. she works a lot in flash. my portfolio is at the link to my site in my sig.

that&#39;s cool you got no smudging under full force water! what have been your results with oilfastness?

aquababie19
08-03-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by honeychild@Aug 2 2003, 10:14 PM
what have been your results with oilfastness?
so far so good honeychild. i hadn&#39;t noticed any smudging from that also. if i notice anything, the oil loosens the adhesive a little bit. that&#39;s why i mentioned maybe needing a stronger label or adhesive.

and thanks diamonique and honey child for those sites. i&#39;ll keep them in mind. yall are so cool...being almost self-sufficient with all aspects of your businesses. :thumbsup:

nubian indigo
08-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by honeychild+Aug 2 2003, 10:57 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (honeychild @ Aug 2 2003, 10:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Diamonique@Aug 2 2003, 11:22 AM
A question about this: Do you spray the whole sheet of labels after they come out of the printer? Or do you spray each one separately after you peel them off the sheet?

-- Diamonique (I gotta try this one!)
i spray each sheet after it&#39;s dry from the printer. then peel off and apply. they don&#39;t smear from a wet finger, and it actually brightens up/intensifies the ink colors some. :thumbsup: [/b][/quote]
Honeychild...has this routine been able to combat the problem that another poster has mentioned of the labels adhesive being effected...?

I am sooooo glad that this space has been established for us and our hand crafts... :D

And also is the krylon spray better than the acrylic spray...?

Now I need to find out about those label shrink wraps and all of the other great information...thanks you guys for your input...I am very anxious to get my site up that will concentrate on my products exclusively...hopefully very very soon.

Got another question...what about out of work compensation for the slow times...Insurance for independant employees if they are in a slow time or business performance has stopped due to illness, family emergency, maternity leave, etc. Similar to workers compensation, unemployment benefits, sick-leave benefits (hospitilization etc.) ...has anyone joined up with any companies as yet...? Rates...?

Definitely something that needs to be thought about...

sene
08-05-2003, 12:41 PM
Honeychild, you were my inspiration.

I&#39;ve been making my own products on and off for a couple of years but your site inspired me to go ahead and take the leap.

I designed my own site as well and will be ready to go live and offer my products for sale in about 2 weeks.

pfenix
08-08-2003, 05:17 AM
Honeychild and Diamonique: your sites look great :thumbsup: :D I&#39;m most impressed by your use of containers and nice packaging :thumbsup: It lends your businesses an extra degree of...professionalism and credibility that many "homier" ventures lack presentation wise.

Diamonique, I really appreciate your placing you inventory numbers on the web--it makes shopping so much easier when know upfront that I can or can&#39;t get get my mass quantities of stuff :D

aquababie19
08-22-2003, 03:47 AM
hey ladies...i&#39;m sharing the good news!

my site is now in the works...i&#39;ll let yall know more about as the date gets closer :D

aquababie19
09-02-2003, 06:07 PM
hey ladies...

my site is up and running! we&#39;re still tweaking it, but it&#39;s live and ready to go. thanks for all the encouragement from everyone.
<a href=\'http://www.aquababie.com\' target=\'_blank\'>aqua essentials</a>

Nappalonia
09-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Aquababie I likes the site :thumbsup:

I&#39;m almost ready :P

aquababie19
09-06-2003, 02:20 PM
thanks a lot! the guy who did it is great! plus he&#39;s local to me as well. his site is royalblak.com (http://www.royalblak.com) is anyone wants to check him out

ini
09-08-2003, 11:05 AM
Wow! You guys are awesome in here! :clap:

If all don&#39;t mind, I&#39;m posting links to Okin, S&K and Aqua Essentials on my journal&#39;s links page!

Best wishes and prosperity in your business :thumbsup:

nubian indigo
09-12-2003, 09:06 PM
WOW aquababie...your site looks REALLY GOOD...!!

The presentation of the products is very nice...I hope that all goes well with your business... :pumpheart:

Hopefully my own shopping cart site will be up soon...for now I have a preview located on my site...(just click on the www button on my post) and go to Studio 8 for a peak...

This really is all soooooooo thrilling isn&#39;t it...!!!!! :D I know that I am having a ball...being able to see the fruit of my laboring hands...crafting is such a great way to be besides all of the extra&#39;s... B) Much Blessing&#39;s to us all...

Peace... :pumpheart:
nubian

aquababie19
09-12-2003, 09:15 PM
thanks ini & nubian! i appreciate the luv!

@ nubian....i wanna see more of your products! that pic has peaked my interest.

sene
09-13-2003, 12:39 AM
Nice site Aqua, very professional looking. Your name is very similar to the name of my product line lol. The web page builder I was using crashed so I&#39;ve been set back a couple of weeks. Hopefully I&#39;ll be ready to go by the beginning of October.

aquababie19
09-13-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by sene@Sep 12 2003, 07:39 PM
Nice site Aqua, very professional looking. Your name is very similar to the name of my product line lol. The web page builder I was using crashed so I&#39;ve been set back a couple of weeks. Hopefully I&#39;ll be ready to go by the beginning of October.
thanks@sene! also that&#39;s a trip about the name. do you mean my screen name or my product line?? but anyway...cool name! :D

nubian indigo
09-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by aquababie19@Sep 12 2003, 04:15 PM
thanks ini & nubian! i appreciate the luv!

@ nubian....i wanna see more of your products! that pic has peaked my interest.
Hey gurl...thank you...

...and as a matter of fact this is what I am gonna do...

With the cold weather coming up I would like to make an offer to all of the Nappturality sistahs up in the place... :D

I am about to place a SEASONAL PROMOTION post in the Swap/Sell section...for my Conditioning Leave-In Hair Smoothie (http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/fatcat/30/journal_entry.htm#style_and_scalp_treatment_100__n appified)

Since the cold weather is coming up I would like to offer a trial size to the ladies of Nappturality...so be on the look out for that...

...and gurl ya know you have my number... nubianindigo@yahoo.com give me a ring... B)

aquababie19
09-16-2003, 07:05 PM
i have a question ladies...

have any of you purchased liability insurance?? i&#39;m preparing to purchase some myself...thought i would ask.

blkrighteousspace1
10-31-2003, 05:41 PM
with much cajoling...and pushing, i decided to place my big toe in the waters of entrepenuership. I developed a handmade line called The Hope Chest. The Hope Chest consists of 2 lines Alchemy: which is my general skincare line and Osun: which is my sensual adult line....full of fun products for pleasure and enjoyment.

I started doing the adult products at the request of a friend, i did a bachelorette party, and she wanted some favors that were cute, original and a little sexy....since she did have some dancin&#39; (whoo hoo). I did an edible massage oil (i told the ladies....don&#39;t rub it on the dancer, i&#39;m sure he brought his own :lol ). I did (and still do) some lingerie trunk parties. So i figured, ok quit being a chicken-poo....and get a site together and sell those products because i got decent feedback. Plus, I have fun making the products (if you can&#39;t already tell)

Sooo....check out the site, i encourage all feedback, because i&#39;m not a webspinner and i&#39;m doing things on a shoe-string budget, but trying to make it look good and give you the best products imaginable. I have a monthly newsletter that comes out on the first of the month, and you can sign up for that on the site....it basically tells what products are on sale, or new features, and promotions....pretty soon I&#39;ll be taking submissions for recipes (food-related)

i hope you enjoy it as much as i do....if you didn&#39;t....let me know anyway
the site is Enter The Hope Chest (http://www.thehopechest.biz)

aquababie19
10-31-2003, 06:52 PM
i checked out your site blkrighteous! congrats gurl....welcome to the business!!!

blkrighteousspace1
10-31-2003, 07:24 PM
your site is beautiful also....i love the pictures of your products.

i&#39;m constantly sharpening up my phtography skills....(probably going to end up jacking the digicam from work) :lol

aquababie19
10-31-2003, 07:29 PM
aww thanks!!! so tell me, do people love the edible massage oil?? sounds interesting!

blkrighteousspace1
10-31-2003, 07:53 PM
suprisingly enough....i&#39;ve gotten reviews on the flavor i&#39;m not excited about....the tangerine cream one. to me it has a dreamsicle-ish taste to it....it&#39;s good if you like dreamsicles.

i like brownskinned lady because i&#39;m such a choco-holic....i would pour a little into a sample cup and taste on that (i know...i know)
and i like sweetest taboo because it has a pina colada taste to it....it&#39;s real sweet though (a little goes a long way), i&#39;ve toned it down since then.

i don&#39;t recommend diabetics try this though...i don&#39;t want anyone going into shock after a renedevous or anything

nubian indigo
11-05-2003, 11:06 PM
Greetings...

NI8 is bringing you some early cheer...

Seasonal Promotion on Hair Product!!!

2.5 oz jar of NI8&#39;s Conditioning Leave-In Hair Smoothie for a small donation (about 20% off the market retail price) will get those natural tresses in Great Condition for the upcoming cold...brrrrr... winter.

It will add Strength, Shine, Moisture to your natural hair...with its superb conditioning action. Prevent split, dry, over frizzed out ends...keep them healthy and vibrant instead.

...more product details
Conditioning Leave-In Hair Smoothie (http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/fatcat/30/id22.htm#studio8)...

...to make a request for this offer of Conditioning Leave-In Hair Smoothie and an NI8 e-mail brochure with more details on the entire line please send your request to nubianindigo@yahoo.com...

Type in &#39;NI8 Winter Promo&#39; into the subject line for quick identification...Thank You...

OR...

Visit me and my little space ;D at this BROOKLYN location...


EXPRESSIVE GIFTS & CRAFTS
1254 Troy Avenue
between Ave. D & Clarendon Road
(nearest to the corner of Ave. D)[/center]

This upcoming Friday and Saturday
Friday November 7th 2003 4pm - 7pm
Saturday November 8th 2003 12pm - 6:30pm


Come out and see what&#39;s up...and I have some special surprises in store for all visitors...

ALSO...Come by to check out my Healing Body Butter and my Recovery Scalp Oil...

The Healing Body Butter has been specially made for dry skin, perfect for winter itch, eczema, and cracked skin. This is the EXTRA good stuff that you want on your skin this season...and the scent is divine...making this product double as aromatherapy...

...let the sweet scent of ALL NATURAL Chamomille sooth your senses and relax your body...you can feel it working into your skin making it flower petal soft...ALL DAY...;)

The Recovery Scalp Oil is for dry scalp with a tendency for dandruff/itchies. This scalp oil will give you relief as well as promote healthy hair growth. A true find...

All of my products are high standard &#39;Spa Quality&#39; specialty products that transcend all cultures but have been especially made with the needs of People Of Color in mind first as opposed to an afterthought... :amour

So please come out and show your support...NI8 is going to get your hair, scalp and skin in ship-shape for this upcoming Winter Season...



Please act soon...there is a limited supply...but this will not be the last promotion to look forward to...THANK YOU...NAPPYHOOD!!!

nubian indigo

Shan
12-10-2003, 07:06 AM
awesome ladies, honey what a nice site. it is definitely bookmarked.

my bf told me to do this THREE years ago, and I&#39;m kicking myself for not doing it. I lost interest, or got busy, or didn&#39;t have any money. Now I wish I had, but I feel like it is to late. Almost like the market is saturated and ther is nothing new to make.

But ladies you keep up the great work.

KyKinks
12-20-2003, 03:03 AM
I sell handmade body and hair care products. The majority of them are Shea Butter based and are great. Just the thing for the dry, ashiness of winter.

My site is Kentuckykinks.com and here is the link for the products page but feel free to browse the site.

KyKinks Products (http://www.kentuckykinks.com/products1103.html)

Seoul
03-13-2004, 04:38 PM
:)

ke23288
03-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Yes... I handcraft all-natural body products and I sell them online, on consignment, etc.

Visit and shop my online store:
http://www.basketsfulloflove.com

guchee50
06-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Honeychild, I have question: Just exactly how did you get started with selling your products? What was the process? I seriously thinking about selling , and I&#39;m not sure how to get started please, any advise from anyone would be helpful.........

lavendardawn
06-17-2004, 06:27 PM
I am a new Oyin customer, but have heard so many wonderful things about it before hand. I am currently using the Whipped Pudding and it is heavenly!!!! I use it on my hair, lips, face, and my feet. It is an all in one. My hair truly is much softer and healthy looking since using it. You have to try it. Oh, and a little goes a long way.

Please dont stop honeychild!!

lsubabiedee
07-18-2004, 06:30 AM
weird....i can see that people post here but i cant read any of the newer posts...hmmmm

TianaJ
08-11-2004, 04:06 PM
I am going to start making my own hair care products soon....I hope the Lord blesses me with the mind to make some good stuff!!!!!! Pray for me yall!!!!

NaturalLove
09-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Wonderful for all of you selling your products.

I do have one question for you. Do you have product liability insurance?

shulta
09-07-2004, 05:10 PM
liability insurance is mandatory here in the UK!
it&#39;s not expensive i think it&#39;s £5 per week or something..

Qhem
09-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Test.

Qhem
09-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, I can&#39;t access any of the most recent posts either. I can see them when the reply box is open but I can&#39;t access them when I open the thread.

Hi Naturalove. I&#39;m not sure but laws regarding commercial product liability insurance in the US may be mandated on a state by state basis. It makes sense to have it even if it isn&#39;t required.

Anyway, I&#39;d like to commend all of the budding entrepeneurs here for starting their own businesses. I know the business end can be tedious, especially if you&#39;ve built and manage your own website. I will be launching my own line of natural, Afro-Asian tradition based hair care products next month. I am finally out of the two year R&D phase and am very pleased with the final products. They&#39;ve been specifically formulated to address the unique needs of our hair :)

shulta
05-03-2006, 03:40 AM
DANG Qhem I remember this from back in the day - proud of you!

Pulling this one out to share the following information should you want to start making & selling your own brand of lotions & potions.

Cosmetic Labelling:
For the OPEN JAR or PAO symbol you may have noticed on product packaging that contains water. http://www.colipa.com/site/index.cfm?SID=15588&OBJ=17811
http://www.touchbriefings.com/download.cfm?fileID=2523
Go to -> DOWNLOAD WITHOUT REGISTERING YOUR DETAILS
to download "The Feasibility of ‘Global’ Cosmetics Packaging" it covers all sorts of labelling information that is required here in the EU. This study was completed by a FDA/OTC member.

HTH

Barklel
05-03-2006, 05:07 AM
Whoa! You dug this one "out of the crates".... Great site.... WOW! Honeychild and Aquababie.. you 2 have came a long way. Now I know I need to press on..... I can&#39;t give up, I&#39;m gone too far.... :D

shulta
05-03-2006, 06:55 AM
I know ay! I must admit that it&#39;s been a long time since I&#39;ve read http://aquababie.typepad.com/aquababies_world/ must go and lurk when I have time.