PDA

View Full Version : Getting Gunk Out Of Your Hair While No-pooing

tsaraya29
08-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Last week, I tried a braid out on my hair and used a product that left my hair incredibly sticky and gunky (*note to self: Never Ever use Isoplus hair and twist cream AGAIN*). I tried rinsing it out but I noticed the product left an icky residue.
Because I am trying to no-poo is there anyway to remove it without using shampoos or soaps? I was thinking about buying some CD herbal rinse or something. Last time I washed I used a castille soap that left my hair incredibly THIRSTY!!
Thanks in advance.

Ms_Keda
08-24-2004, 04:33 PM
You can use clarifying rinses that can be made at home such as:

ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) Rinse

No Poo your hair as usual
mix 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar and 2 cups of water and spritz (or pour it over your hair as your last rinse)

or

Baking Soda rinse

1 tbsp. of baking soda and 2 cups of water

Pour mixture on hair after you no poo, let it sit for a while then rinse.

Good Luck

cmesweet
08-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Try putting lemon juice in your conditioners...I have used this as a clarifier.

Niya
08-24-2004, 05:56 PM
clarification

lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, or baking soda

1tsp to every cup of water
you can spritz or rinse over hair

or add the lemon juice or baking soda to your conditioner.

blkbttrfly
08-24-2004, 06:29 PM
hi... well for the no-poo conditioner itself, i would say don't use a moisturizing conditioner like suave coconut or anyone that says moisturizing on the bottle. moisturizing conditioners seem to bond to the hair more and don't "strip" oils and dirt as well as clarifying conditioners (V05 Kiwi and Suave Daily Clarifying) i do think the moisturizing cond. is good for during the week no-pooing, just not "wash" days, though. you can also try V05 Citrus... and as the ladies suggested, the ACV rinses are really helpful too.
Also, I think its Motowngrl who suggests putting the conditioner on before you start rinsing heavy oils out... it begins to break them down better when you don't add water right away. I think this might apply here too.

HTH :) Good Luck!

tsaraya29
08-25-2004, 01:56 PM
:thumbsup ms_keda,cmesweet,1ntellect,& blkbutterfly - Thanks so much for the advice especially about not using moisturizing conditioners. I am going to try either the vinegar or the lemon juice this weekend when I take my cornrows down. I might use v05 citrus as well. Again mucho thanks!

kmosi
08-27-2004, 03:01 AM
I too use the baking soda and ACV. I don't really measure it just put a few capfuls of the vinegar in a lage cup of warm water, pour over my hair and then let it set a minute and rinse out. If the is still build up than you can try it again or do the same thing but with backing soda and kinda scrub your hair. HTH

Niya
08-27-2004, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by tsaraya29@Aug 25 2004, 07:56 AM
:thumbsup ms_keda,cmesweet,1ntellect,& blkbutterfly - Thanks so much for the advice especially about not using moisturizing conditioners. I am going to try either the vinegar or the lemon juice this weekend when I take my cornrows down. I might use v05 citrus as well. Again mucho thanks!
remember not to clarify too much or you'll just strip the hair, thus negating the point of the no-poo method.