PDA

View Full Version : Tananarive Due

KinkyCoils
05-21-2003, 07:35 PM
Is she any good? I mean are her books a good read?

elleebeme5
05-22-2003, 01:16 AM
I'm not into sci-fi. I tried reading one her books a few years ago (I heard great reviews but not that it was sci-fi) and couldn't get into her. Note: Sci-fi may not be the right category.

Sister1
05-22-2003, 02:49 AM
KinkyCoils:

I enjoyed her first two books very much. Interesting twist for black folks and the "other side" perspective. I think you'd enjoy her.

honeychild
05-22-2003, 03:09 AM
her books are kind of fantasy/mystery, but there's definitely a speculative element to them.

i loved her 'living blood' books.

loved them, loved them, loved them.

could not put them down.

i thought they were amazing; i loved the way she wove black diasporan history into the story so seamlessly. it was a story that could ONLY have been about black people. it was a page-turner, kept me guessing, and was very nicely written. amazing.

she also has a previous novel that is often classified more as 'horror' called "the between." i haven't read that one yet, but i have heard good things about it.

Brown Rose
05-22-2003, 12:39 PM
She is an excellent writer.

To start off, read her parapsychological thriller "The Between", in which the main character has the ability to shift between realities. It takes place in Florida and explores racial and sociological realities with finesse and entertaining intelligence. Great read, you'll be glued to your seat until the end.

She also wrote a historical piece called "The Black Rose" which discusses the life of Madame CJ Walker. Fine perspective of a woman who became a virtual millionaire (the Oprah of the 19th-20th century) even though she amassed profit by propagating the straightening lie. Still informative and noteworthy.

"Living Blood" is an excellent respite from Anne Rice's tired White European Vampire slaves and focuses on the enigmatic character who is Black and a Vampire. Quite refreshing and unusual. Worth the read.

SusieMae
05-22-2003, 09:58 PM
I enjoyed My Soul To Keep and the sequel, The Living Blood, was even better. I was about half way through on a Saturday a.m. and spent the rest of the morning and some of the afternoon finishing it. I could not put it down! I tell folks it's about immortals cause it ain't your usual "vampire" story at all. Not scary, just good.

winnie
05-23-2003, 01:14 AM
I love her books! She's one of my favorites. Blair Underwood is directing the film version of My Soul to Keep!
I also like her husbands books. He's more sci-fi IMO. She's more of a fantasy-horror type. Has anyone read Thunderland by Brandon Massey? I've been looking for this one.

Laniza
05-23-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by honeychild@May 21 2003, 11:09 PM
her books are kind of fantasy/mystery, but there's definitely a speculative element to them.

i loved her 'living blood' books.

loved them, loved them, loved them.

could not put them down.

i thought they were amazing; i loved the way she wove black diasporan history into the story so seamlessly. it was a story that could ONLY have been about black people. it was a page-turner, kept me guessing, and was very nicely written. amazing.

she also has a previous novel that is often classified more as 'horror' called "the between." i haven't read that one yet, but i have heard good things about it.
ITA!!!!! Tananarive Due is the bomb! WELL worth the read!! The way that she describes her characters and the settings in "The Living Blood" and "My Soul to Keep" are so vivid that I swear it seems like you're in the story too! While I haven't read any of her other books yet (along with "The Between" and the historical book on Madame CJ Walker, she also co-wrote a book with her mother about their experiences during the 1960s phase of Civil Rights Movement), she is one of my favorite authors period, regardless of genre.

Amarige
05-23-2003, 08:54 PM
I REALLY enjoyed My Soul To Keep. I started the sequel but I'm not very far. She wrote a non-fiction book with her mother. A friend of mine saw them on an interview and said they were very dynamic and knowledgeable. I can't remember the name of the book right now, but it'll come to me :D