PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil

nckyola
09-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used or currently uses coconut oil. If so, do you recommend it based on your experience with it?
(I am considering using it on my very irritated, dry scalp as my regular EVOO seems to not be doing it's job.)

HaitianPeach
09-06-2004, 04:11 PM
i know that my loctician told me not to use any type of oil on my hair because all it will do is cause unecessary build up. have u tried seabreeze? it works wonders for me

nckyola
09-06-2004, 04:52 PM
yeah, tried sea breeze and, while it was a good temp fix, it doesn't really solve my problem. My scalp is actually dry and flaky. Loctician told me to use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo and EVOO to remedy it, but I use EVOO normally (but not frequently) anyway.
So... I was curious about the benefits of coconut oil that I have been reading about.

sonshinescoils
09-06-2004, 07:30 PM
EVOO =extra virgin olive oil? whoo took me a second. plenty of folks use coconut oil. i just bumped a thread for you. my loctician only uses oil on my hair/scalp to avoid buildup. she also uses tunde's essential rinse--lots of tingly eo's that work like a miracle on my dry flaky scalp. as well as tunde's shampoo and oils.

have you tried just spritzing with water? or water and eo. try that before adding another product. oil doesn't moisturize, it locks in moisture. put some water on that scalp and then, perhaps, smooth a bit of coconut oil on top of the damp/wet hair. see if that helps. water definitely has my vote.

Arianna
09-07-2004, 02:12 PM
*Real* coconut oil is solid, right?

theomozo
09-07-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't have locs.

You know what? I had dry flaky scalp when I used shampoo to wash. Ever since I started on my no-poo I have not had that problem. I just use any conditioner that comes my way but usually for dry/coloured/damages hair types.

Then I put a mix of shea butter, coconut oil and olive oil on my scalp and hair after a no-poo. In between no-poos I spray a mixture of conditioner, olive oil, rosemary oil and camomile oil.

No dry, itchy scalp and little build up.

@Arianna: 100% coconut oil is watery not solid. Well, if left undisturbed for a while, it can become somewhat solid. If yours is really solid it might be mixed with petroleum jelly.

thunderstorm
09-07-2004, 03:15 PM
coconut oil is solid at temperatures under 76 degrees F. so if you live at temperatures of 76 degrees F or more, coconut oil is liquid; if less than 76 degrees F, coconut oil is a [solid] fat.

Arianna
09-08-2004, 01:34 PM
k, thanks. I saw some in the health food store and it was in a jar and I thought it was solid. It was heavy like a solid. I know coconut oil is said to be really good for hair, but don't you risk it solidfying in your locs? Fractionated coconut oil is not solid, but i wonder if its as good as the real thing.

thunderstorm
09-08-2004, 01:42 PM
@arianna,

some people, locs wearers and loose-hair naturals alike, do not like to put any product in their hair that is solid in its natural state: coconut oil, beeswax, any of the nut butters, etc. because of the buildup issues that you mentioned.

others think that if the products are applied sparingly, that they can be beneficial and will wash out easily with whatever soap you use.

i guess it will boil down to you actually testing coconut oil on your own hair to see how it works.

:heart

nckyola
09-08-2004, 11:22 PM
100% coconut oil is semi-solid in cool temps,as thunderstorm noted, but melt extremely easily and quickly. for example if you put it in the fridge it would get hard and solid but the minute you put some between your fingertips it will melt like butter.

i've had mine a while b/c it's good for the skin as well, but when i bought it, it seems solid in the health store but when opened it really wasn't at all.

so .... after my last wash, i massaged some coconut oil into my scalp and so far so good. no flakes and the itching has decreased significantly. i figure that will probably take a bit of time to get past but at least the dryness is being combatted now. I have not mixed with EVOO yet though, as I don't want too much stuff in there at once - need to find what works and go from there.

@ sonshinescoils, thanks for bumping that thread BTW.

ETA - couple of links with info
coconut oil info (http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm)
benefits for the skin and hair (http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/skin_health.htm)
from thread africankween started (http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/product.asp?product_id=oilvirgincocon)

LBellatrix
09-09-2004, 12:48 AM
I agree with AnaisKarim. Also, keep in mind that most likely your shampoo water will be warmer than 76 degrees, so when you add your shampoo that should take care of removing the coconut oil.

I was a big fan of coconut oil prior to locking. Until recently I was using it as a leave-in conditioner on my locs after washing. In an effort to get simple, I'm back to using olive oil.

I've never used coconut oil on my scalp, though. In fact I rarely oil my scalp.

Mskey001
09-09-2004, 03:37 AM
I absolutly LOVE Coconut oil...its not heavy at all. Olive Oil does absolutly nothing for my hair, but I love it for my skin.

Arianna
09-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by AnaisKarim@Sep 9 2004, 12:32 AM
I've never had a problem with coconut oil causing buildup. Since it's liquid above 76 degrees and your body temp stays way hotter than that, it will never be solid in your hair.
Buy my hair is not my body. My hair doesn't generate heat like my body does. The farther away hair is from your body, the closer to atmosphere temp it would be sounds like.

I like the "use sparingly" tip. Yes, I agree that regular shampooing with warm water would sound like it would take care of any problems. I don't live where the temp is colder than 70 degrees normally so that's good.

OK. Gotta try it out and see what happens! Thanks for the help ladies! :heart

natitwists
09-10-2004, 01:45 AM
I've used it on my daughter's locs (7 mos loc'd)and her hair seems to like it

sonshinescoils
02-27-2005, 06:23 PM
just picked up some parachute coconut oil last week (it's made in india). i found it in a market that caters to different cultures. i like it. smells like real coconut, instead of the fake stuff. it's 100% coconut oil that's rich and luxurious.

http://www.ishopindian.com/shop/catalog/Pa...il-p-22472.html (http://www.ishopindian.com/shop/catalog/Parachute-Coconut-Oil-p-22472.html)

i paid less than the suggested price though. you might want to check it out.

and here are some reviews:
http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Parachute_...il-69132-1.html (http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Parachute_Coconut_Hair_Oil-69132-1.html)

:D

crazylikedatglue
03-03-2005, 02:05 AM
I am confused. What is the different in refined and unrefined coconut oil? Which is better for your hair the one in the cooking section or the beauty sectionof the store?

MsSankofa04
03-03-2005, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by crazylikedatglue@Mar 2 2005, 09:05 PM
I am confused. What is the different in refined and unrefined coconut oil? Which is better for your hair the one in the cooking section or the beauty sectionof the store?

:unsure: I'm confused to, are the ones inthe drug store as good as the one's in the health food store or is one better than the other?

fwilso01
03-03-2005, 02:29 AM
I use coconut oil as well. I love the smell and it is not too greasy for me. It does a good job massaged into my scalp. I use the KUZA brand from the beauty section. It has the consistancy of grease (a bit lighter) so I only use a little on my finger tips after I wash.

Clever
03-03-2005, 03:09 PM
fwilso01 Girl you have beautiful locs....
How long have you been growing them?

Sorry to get off subject

sonshinescoils
03-03-2005, 07:37 PM
the ones that you find in the cooking sections are usually 100% coconut oil. if you check your labels, you'll see that the co's that you find in the beauty section is typically grease-- petrolatum, mineral oil and all that jazz with some artificial fragrance, propylene glycol which is all extra. i personally prefer pure coconut oil gotten from the cooking section because i don't need all the extra ingredients attracting dirt and gunking up my hair.

now there have been quite a number of coconut oil threads mentioned lately (check page two or three of the loc forum)--including a few links higher up in this thread. much, if not all, of what you want to know can be found in those threads. so feel free to check 'em out. you could also do a search.

so glad to help :)

crazylikedatglue
03-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by sonshinescoils@Mar 3 2005, 07:37 PM
the ones that you find in the cooking sections are usually 100% coconut oil. if you check your labels, you'll see that the co's that you find in the beauty section is typically grease-- petrolatum, mineral oil and all that jazz with some artificial fragrance, propylene glycol which is all extra. i personally prefer pure coconut oil gotten from the cooking section because i don't need all the extra ingredients attracting dirt and gunking up my hair.

now there have been quite a number of coconut oil threads mentioned lately (check page two or three of the loc forum)--including a few links higher up in this thread. much, if not all, of what you want to know can be found in those threads. so feel free to check 'em out. you could also do a search.

so glad to help :)

The co I found in the cooking section was solid and had some brown matter at the bottom of the jar. Is that what it is suppose to look like? It was manufactured by Spectrum.

sonshinescoils
03-04-2005, 02:38 AM
don't know about the "brown matter," but most coconut oil is solid under 76 degrees ( i think it's 76 off of the top of my head). i've used spectrum's organic coconut oil. i don't remember anything brown though.

mzrayona06
03-04-2005, 04:13 PM
I know from skimming my own coconut oil, that the brown matter may be from the 'shell' of the coconut. Sometimess, when you're skimming, you cant get it all out...it wont hurt you. Its just the dust of the fruit.

Also...I dont know if anyone is interested, but if you have a coconut on hand, boil the meat (the white part) in water...after awhile, the oil will float to the top, and you can skim it off yourself, and keep it in a jar. Voila-pure coconut oil in its liquid form. You may wanna add eo's or other carrier oils to it at this time...

crazylikedatglue
03-04-2005, 08:11 PM
THank you for the info!!! I just purchased Parachute brand.

sonshinescoils
03-12-2005, 05:32 AM
@crazy--have you gotten your oil yet?

TolaEmpress
03-12-2005, 08:56 AM
I have a Rastafarian cousin with waist length locs and he swears by coconut oil. His freeform hair is very healthy (not to say that free forming hair isnt healthy so dont get that impression). I use sunflower oil on my hair but when I go back home in the islands for the summer I plan on switching to coconut oil since I would be able to extract it for myself. :D

nckyola
03-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by mzrayona@Mar 4 2005, 10:13 AM
Also...I dont know if anyone is interested, but if you have a coconut on hand, boil the meat (the white part) in water...after awhile, the oil will float to the top, and you can skim it off yourself, and keep it in a jar. Voila-pure coconut oil in its liquid form. You may wanna add eo's or other carrier oils to it at this time...

now THAT's cool! i would love to try this myself but i have never seen whole coconut anywhere. maybe the farmer's market or something? is it seasonal?

mzrayona06
03-12-2005, 04:36 PM
I guess it depends on where you live as to whether or not you will find coconuts. I know here in Michigan, we have Meijer's, and they have them quite often...even places like Trader Joe's or Whole Food Markets. If not, I just buy the organic Coconut oil from the cooking section of Whole Foods, and keep it near my stove when I wanna use it. (so it melts, and I can use it)

Otherwise, when I find them, I buy 7 or 8 coconuts, boil and skim, then put it in a jar. I LOVE how strong the scent is, both when I buy it, or skim it, because it is so pure, but not overpowering.

Has anyone ever tried using coconut milk in their hair? Ive always wondered what it would do (if anything), and hate wasting it when Im skimming, but I dont know what else to do with it (and I dont like the taste)...let me know...

nhdigest
03-12-2005, 10:38 PM
it's great on the scalp! I had some in the house for making soap when I started locing. later when I tried a couple of oils as scalp moisturizers, I found it very helpful during the winter months (covering my head up for the cold was drying.

crazylikedatglue
03-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by sonshinescoils@Mar 12 2005, 05:32 AM
@crazy--have you gotten your oil yet?

I like the way it made my hair feel, but I hated the smell :unsure: How did it work on your hair?

sonshinescoils
03-13-2005, 12:47 AM
aw girl, i love it on my hair. it's heavy in a lite kinda way. it really saturates my locs without being greasy. the smell grew on me. i'm not used to the smell of real coconut. it has a rather "meaty" coconut smell. not bad though. i like it more that the spectrum organic coconut oil that i have in terms of use and i wanted something that smelled like coconuts--not super refined..

i also have my eye on louana's coconut oil at walmart (if they every restock!). just to compare.

peace_lily
03-13-2005, 02:23 AM
I found Parachute Coconut Oil at the indian/arab food market. I was unsure if that was the same stuff to put on ur hair. but now that i know i'll have to pick some up.

@sonshine
do u saturate the oil into ur locs or is to retwist the roots and massage into the scalp?

Im in the beginning stage and my hair is on the dry side but I dont want to overdo it w/ products as I can be a product junkie.
i dont need the buildup.

how often do yall use this stuff on ur hair?

peace
lily

crazylikedatglue
03-13-2005, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by sonshinescoils@Mar 13 2005, 12:47 AM
aw girl, i love it on my hair. it's heavy in a lite kinda way. it really saturates my locs without being greasy. the smell grew on me. i'm not used to the smell of real coconut. it has a rather "meaty" coconut smell. not bad though. i like it more that the spectrum organic coconut oil that i have in terms of use and i wanted something that smelled like coconuts--not super refined..

i also have my eye on louana's coconut oil at walmart (if they every restock!). just to compare.

So..did yours smell like macroons :dunno: : The smell drove me nuts.

sonshinescoils
03-13-2005, 06:00 AM
@crazy--i guess it did. i'm not all that intimate with macaroons (not a coconut person). the smell has grown on me though. perhaps if you still don't like it, maybe we can swap and i'll take it off your hands. i'm sure i've got sumthin you might wanna try.

@peace_lily: i use it to moisturize my hair. after spritzing, washing, rinsing, or just wetting my hands and running them through my hair, i smooth some coconut oil on to lock in the moisture from the water--the coconut oil itself doesn't moisturize. i massage my scalp with it. it could also be used to retwist. i really think that if you like the oil, you could use it for everything. even a pre-rinse/pre-shampoo oil treatment.

try it. i like it very much.

crazylikedatglue
03-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by sonshinescoils@Mar 13 2005, 06:00 AM
@crazy--i guess it did. i'm not all that intimate with macaroons (not a coconut person). the smell has grown on me though. perhaps if you still don't like it, maybe we can swap and i'll take it off your hands. i'm sure i've got sumthin you might wanna try.

@peace_lily: i use it to moisturize my hair. after spritzing, washing, rinsing, or just wetting my hands and running them through my hair, i smooth some coconut oil on to lock in the moisture from the water--the coconut oil itself doesn't moisturize. i massage my scalp with it. it could also be used to retwist. i really think that if you like the oil, you could use it for everything. even a pre-rinse/pre-shampoo oil treatment.

try it. i like it very much.

Let me try it as a hot oil treatment. If the smell still knocks me out, we'll cut a deal ;)

sonshinescoils
03-14-2005, 11:55 PM
cool. i really want you to like it though. the smell can be kinda iffy, but as i've said, it grew on me.

PrincessDrRe
03-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by mzrayona@Mar 12 2005, 11:36 AM
I guess it depends on where you live as to whether or not you will find coconuts. I know here in Michigan, we have Meijer's....

Where are you in Michigan, Might I ask?

:dunno:

I'm up here too!

PrincessDrRe
03-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Bumpeth!

bajanempress
03-21-2005, 06:33 AM
I keep lurking around this thread but I'm not sure I can ever bring myself to try coconut oil in my head.

It brings back memories of the Indian girls in primary school whose mothers slathered their hair in coconut oil. Let me tell you its pretty disgusting in close quarters! I cannot stand to smell it to this day, a lot of people in St Lucia where my Dad lives cook with it- another reason I hate most St. Lucian food blech!

I bought a Burt's Bees shampoo bar tonight that has a small amount of coconut oil in it- but although I love how my hair looks, I really hate the smell... anyone else loathe the smell of it like I do?

Cherished
03-21-2005, 06:52 AM
It's the oddest thing. I can appreciate the smell of coconut oil on someone else, but when it's on me...2 days is my limit. By the end of the second day, I'm gagging. It just seems to overpower me.

Is there anyway for me to get it scent free or even lightly scented?

mzrayona06
03-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by PrincessDrRe@Mar 14 2005, 07:27 PM
Where are you in Michigan, Might I ask?

:dunno:

I'm up here too!

I live in Ypsilanti...between Ann arbor and Detroit...but I know Meijer's is all over Michigan...at least the lower peninsula...

(Plug plug for the Ann Arbor Napptural gathering this weekend....March 26....you're getting sleepy...whooooo.....)

sonshinescoils
03-21-2005, 08:06 PM
@cherished--refined/organic spectrum naturals oil that you get from the health food/grocery store is scent-free. i'm not sure about louana at walmart yet. whenever i go it's out of stock.

parachute definitely has the scent though. i'm thinking virgin will definitely have the coconut scent and refined more than likely will not.

MsSankofa04
03-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Hey guys do you know where can i find real coconut oil. Everytime I go to a store they only have the one for the body, is that the same.

Cherished
03-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by sonshinescoils@Mar 21 2005, 03:06 PM
@cherished--refined/organic spectrum naturals oil that you get from the health food/grocery store is scent-free. i'm not sure about louana at walmart yet. whenever i go it's out of stock.

parachute definitely has the scent though. i'm thinking virgin will definitely have the coconut scent and refined more than likely will not.

Thank you! I keep thinking maybe I should try it again by blending it with almond oil. I tried a blend within the past 3 weeks as a hot oil treatment, and I liked it a lot. I'll go looking for it.

Peach55
04-15-2012, 04:23 AM
I use pure coconut oil usually once a week. It helps with dryness and I don't have problems with itching.

KnottyAuthor
04-18-2012, 10:30 PM
i don't like it for locks. Coconut oil at room temp and below solidifies=BUILDup. It's something to think about if you are going in and out of air conditioning or live in cold temps. I used it as a loose natural and it beaded up on my hair.

chocodoll
06-04-2012, 04:24 AM
I am glad I came to this thread. I was seriously considering coconut oil, until I read the above post.

DeBe
06-04-2012, 01:00 PM
When I had short loose hair, I used coconut oil in the winter. It was perfect. It solidified out in the cold, my hair did not move an inch and it seemed pretty much waterproofed. By the time I got were I was going (indoors), it softened up and the damp breezy weather affected it not on iota. Better than any sticky hair spray.

Ok, maybe that's not the information you're looking for, I just had to share )8-|

DeBe

Desdesdes
06-06-2012, 01:21 AM
ITA with the previous posters. Coconut oil is so tempting, but save it for your skin :)

LocsinStereo
09-18-2012, 02:30 AM
I'm not understanding why people worry about it solidifying. It melts in your hands and becomes like a regular oil once you start applying it.
Coconut oil is the one thing that's been constant since I've been natural, with both loose and loc'd hair.
It's light, I read on another forum it's the one oil that is light enough to penetrate your hair shaft.
It won't re-solidify once you put it in your hair. Well, I say this as someone who lives in Texas...but even being in AC I've never had a problem. And I use liberal amounts a few times a week.
Give it a shot. :)