PDA

View Full Version : Headwraps At Work

alma2254
09-11-2004, 04:25 PM
How do you feel about wearing headwraps to work?

How do others at work feel about you wearing headwraps?

:heart

Khardelya
09-11-2004, 04:34 PM
That is a very good question. Since I am in the transitioning stage, I thought about wearing headwraps. I have seen Muslim women wearing them to work, but I think employers will dare not say anything to them. When I learn how to headwrap I will try wearing them to work. I am a social worker and I am assuming that I will probably not get any negative feedback from anyone.

I think headwraps if done correctly and w/ clean material should be acceptable.

flynppy
09-11-2004, 05:19 PM
I do wear headwraps, but not often to work. When I do wear them and get asked questions, I just explain to them why I wear it whatever. My bosses are pretty understanding so I have no problems. They don't understand because they come from a different generation and that is how I look at it. :)

meagan22
09-13-2004, 07:51 PM
I chose (E) because I don't have a job. :duck :lol

I think that wearing a headwrap is cool for most jobs. I mean, if someone is a construction worker then I don't think that a headwrap is very practical. But outher than that, :thumbsup .

godchaser7
09-13-2004, 09:17 PM
I had some weird experiences wearing headwraps to work while I was transitioning.

I should explain that my transitioning was really me just being tired of relaxing my hair, but I had no idea what to do with it so I just wrapped it all the time.

Anyway, I worked in TN with a lot of white people and I would get the most IGNORANT comments.

Around the whole 9/11 thing I got a lot of sympathetic "Awww, are you Muslim?" or threatening "You ain't one of 'dem Muslims, is you?"

People were forever asking me what I was doing with my hair and why I never wore it "out." For some reason, people think that because you are friendly they can say anything they want to you. A lot of times I got really upset from people's "You could just comb your hair, right?" or "Why are you trying to hide your hair?" Even when I stopped wrapping my hair so much, I got a lot of "Oh, you're having a bad hair day, huh?" when I did wrap my hair. :rolling

So, depending on your work environment, I would say be prepared for any type of reaction.

As far as being appropriate for the workplace, I don't know. I didn't have to face the public and we were extremely casual (I mean PJ bottoms and T-shirt casual), so it didn't matter.

feepee
09-13-2004, 09:23 PM
I work for a local credit union and i wear headwraps whenever I feel. I wear them more in the winter time tho. I'd say maybe 40-50% of the time in the cold winter months.

only comments i've gotten at this job is that my headwrap looks beautiful. nothing negative. but i'on know if it's cuz it doesn't bother folk or they are too scared to ask. i've only seen 4 black people in this company.

anywho, at previous jobs i'd wear a headwrap with no problem. i think partly cuz Minnesota has a large Somolian community, folks just assume it's prolly religious or something. i'm not sure

bluvember
09-15-2004, 01:15 AM
I'm wearing one now on the job. :) I work in an oil plant so its no big deal what my head looks like since hardhats are a must at all times. I actually prefer to wear one, since that oil could attack at any time while walking through the building. :rolleyes

lilkinkyc
09-16-2004, 06:43 PM
I picked E. I am a teacher and I wear a wrap whenever I feel like it. When I first started growing my perm out I wore my hair wrapped up for 6 months straight :duck . I know that was bad, but I didn't know better. At work many of my students would question why I wear a wrap, but the grown-ups didn't say a thing. I guess they already thought I was weird because I didn't eat any red meat, then I stopped eating chicken and turkey. I guess they thought I was just going through something.

PrincessDrRe
09-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Now that I am an unemployed college student--I wear them all the time. When I was employed--I wore them all the time too.....ignorant remarks and all....

...look 'em in the mouth and say...."WHAT?" :smug

Right........just like I thought!

:-cre

ACS83
09-19-2004, 03:08 AM
I wear headwraps some of the time but I have only worn it to work a few times. When I do wear it to work people always ask me if I am muslim or something. I know why they ask me this because they saw me the day before with nothing on . I think some people just are oblivious to what they say sometimes. I wear my headwraps as a fahion statement not to hide my hair. I think it looks nice if you wear it right.

Tallgirl
09-20-2004, 06:08 AM
Not a fan of the head wrap.

At my job the only head wraps you see are the people with locs that aren't allowed to hang past the shoulders.

blackcoffee
09-20-2004, 05:49 PM
My previous job (an insurance company), would not allow headwraps in the workplace. I made the mistake and wore one after I had been working there about a month. The white folks went CRAZY...my supervisor (white) pulled me to the side and said "Uh, I don't know what that is, but uh your "hat", or whatever, needs to be removed." I felt myself getting fireball hot under the collar and told her that I would need to be excused to go home b/c my hair was not done. She was ignorant and I didn't even want to get into it with her.

I went home for about 3 hours, debating if I was going to return. To me, there was a more professional way to handle the situation. She made me especially mad when she called my wrap a "hat".

Long story short, I decided to return to work. Once I got there, HR called me and tried to rectify the situation. (I guess they knew the supervisor used the wrong approach.) She asked me if from there on out, to not wear head wraps to work, unless my religious beliefs require it. I didn't want to lie and just told her no, and that was the end of that.

I think the headwrap issue varies from company to company.

mama-mia
09-20-2004, 06:22 PM
I'm Muslim and I wear a headwrap daily. Funny thing is most people here at work I think assume I'm just "ethnic" or foreign born. I have occasionally seen a AA women here (I work at a hospital) wear headwraps, but rarely.

I always get compliments on my head covering.

ready2bfree
09-24-2004, 03:02 AM
...look 'em in the mouth and say...."WHAT?"

:lol :lol :lol

ready2bfree
09-24-2004, 03:09 AM
I chose "E" because I've never worn a wrap, but I would. In fact I was considering it right after the big chop on Tuesday night--looked through my bureau to find something I could wrap my hair in for work. Like some others have said, it depends on the wrap. I've seen some beautiful ones with fringe, different colors (feepee yours in your album is great!) :thumbsup My workplace just requires a neat appearance, hair pulled back. I'm looking forward to experimenting.

Any suggestions on what size to use/how to do some creative wraps?

~*welekevu*~
09-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by mama-mia@Sep 20 2004, 01:22 PM
I'm Muslim and I wear a headwrap daily. Funny thing is most people here at work I think assume I'm just "ethnic" or foreign born.
I always get compliments on my head covering.
Mama-Mia, we seem to agree on so much! :thumbsup I always cover my hair, whether it's a scarf, headwrap, hat or hijab. I figure that as long as it's neat, clean, and doesn't interfere with your work, do your thing.

:offtopic
People always seem to think I am "foreign" because my hair is covered. I actually had somebody say "A salaam alaikum, and welcome to America" to me the other day. I was like :huh ? I don't get it.

Carry on... :tiptoe

law
09-29-2004, 12:31 PM
I do wear head wraps at work quite a bit. My co-workers usually compliment me on them. Nobody seems to have a problem with it although I think one or two of them like the head wraps better than my hair.

feepee
09-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by ready2bfree@Sep 23 2004, 09:09 PM
I've seen some beautiful ones with fringe, different colors (feepee yours in your album is great!) :thumbsup My workplace just requires a neat appearance, hair pulled back. I'm looking forward to experimenting.

Any suggestions on what size to use/how to do some creative wraps?

I'm back in headwrap mode, so I've worn them everyday to work this week. I got pics too. So check my album this weekend for those updates!

I've missed my wraps over the summer. But it's getting chilly here in minnesota so i'm trying to cover my hair more often than not. Still no issues at work. No one has said anything negative either. I'm trying to experiment with different ways to wrap my hair too.

I really think that if a workplace allows folks to wear a wrap for 'religious' reasons they may as well let other folks wear them too. For me wearing a wrap connects to my spirituality as well. not just for hair protection. so just because i don't claim a particular religious affiliation, doesn't mean it doesn't mean anything to me when i wear a wrap.

i'm just thankful it's not an issue at my job.

EarthyDiva
10-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Absolutely. I have worked in social service agencies and doing research. Many of the places I have worked have encouraged cultural diversity and headwraps are often admired.

This past year I completed my clinical psychology internship in a predominately white lower SES area. Many folks had a hard enough time with me being black let alone wearning a head wrap. Now I didn't change who I was, but I found a balance between expressing myself through my wardrobe/hair and being aware of the cultural differences at play, as a helping professional. I felt very comfortable addressing these issues with my supervisor (white) b/c she was smart saavy and knew how to help me proces these issues. I probably would have had a harder time if I'd had an unsupportive supervisor.

Honestly a big part of my comfort with myself was finding NP this year. I had forever dry hair and was not comfortable styling my hair myself in the past, but I wanted natural hair and so I did what I could. Finding other women working it out has helped me to really fall in love with my hair.

THANKS NP ladies personally and professionally,
ED

Pyrodjm
10-05-2004, 04:07 AM
I'm a teacher in an elemantary school. I wear head wraps
whenever the mood strikes (ie. it's raining really, I woke up late, the wrap matches my outfit, etc.) When I had a fro I wore them more, at least once a week. Now with my baby locs its down to about twice a month. One old ignorant southern women (I can say it cuz my whole family is from the south) asked what was wrong with my head/hair and why I had that thing on it. I told her my hair wasn't feeling social and wanted to stay in today. I laughed it off. Otherwise, I have never gotten a comment. Teachers and educational assistants have worn sleep scarves to my school, no one dare say a word about my carefully wrapped hair. I agree with every one esle as long as you look neat no one should have a problem with it.

CreoleSun
10-05-2004, 04:25 AM
they dont say nothin 'cuz i'm a militant sister with a fist in the air saying "black power":oops:

ini
10-10-2004, 04:53 AM
I'm not currently employed but I used to wear them all the time at my corporate job.

brit37564
12-07-2006, 05:08 PM
I have never dared to wear a headscarf to work, not even when it's a casual work environment. I get so many stares from white people, it's ridiculous! I guess they're just not used to the idea of headscarves, but it's not like I have a monkey on my head. It's just some fabric.

Anyway, I was feeling creative this morning and used a t-shirt as a head scarf: I put my head through the bottom and then pulled it all back into a low knot like chignon. I thought I was stylin and profilin with my skinny jeans and purple headscarf that coordinated with my sweater. This white girl in my class kept staring at me, and then she callled me out: "Is that a shirt on your head?"
I said, "Yup, and I am lookin FIERCE!"

I just wanted to share that, and I'm wondering why white people are so put off by headscarves. Is is just too ethnic?

FistPick
12-19-2006, 12:20 AM
As a budding muslimah, Ihave been wearing scarves on and off for the last 15 years of my life. They are ethnic to me and now I am wearing them to reflect my modesty. I have been wearing them daily for a year since I made my desicion embrace Islam.
Scarves remind me so much of Africa and beautiful Black women fromthe 70's who were Black and prouid and beautiful... heads held high.
But back to the original question:
I work at answering service in a pretty prestigious attorney's building in our downtown area.
It just so happens that my supervisor is a head-strong sister from New York who is not put off by individual expression.
Some of my white co-workers were a little shaky and asked whether or not we had "actual" terrorists at our mosque. *slapping forehead*
The only comments I have gotten have mostly been that I look "exotic" and one white woman who said, "I wish I could wear a scarf when I have bad hair days. But you can do it because you are ethnic !"Living in the South is crazy.
Some sisters have stopped me in the bathroom to ask how to wrap their hair or state they wish thay had to courage to wear one.
When you are doing something for religious convictions or to truly satiate your soul-their is no struggle, only sanctity. But my aunt is a postal worker and has been advised against wearing any hair coving unless it is a job issued hat.

Peace and Blessings

nappysurgeon
01-05-2007, 08:56 PM
It was the thing to do in college and I also wore them to work as a waitress, but I haven't worn one in years. Now I think of it as cultural, African culture and not American culture. I also see having a nose ring as being culturally related to being Indian, but I probably would have sported one in college.

delleaux
01-06-2007, 01:13 AM
I love headwraps they are so beautiful. Before I locked my hair I would wear them quite a bit and I received lots of compliments on them. As a RN I dont get too much flack from it. I guess If I worked in OR or something where I had to be sterile might be a nuisance because of the constant sterile field. For the most part just like hairstyles if it is neat, clean why not. Most places I work I read their dress code and none of them says you can't wear headwraps or scarves..... :wub:

AfroKenIza
01-06-2007, 05:15 AM
My answer is : "I don't wear them to work but I do outside work"

Why not at work ?? Because in France, it's forbidden to wear caps, hats ou any kind of thing covering all your head at school. Even though this only applies to pupils, it is my choice not to do it. Some colleagues don't care : I just think it's a kind of respect towards the pupils. :)

Akenjeli
01-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Peace and Blessings.

No problems at my organization, and I work within the banking industry (for an association). Now, I must also say that Im a Marketing manager, and I believe that it is expected that us Marketers will do just about anything simply because we want to - smile.

I have worn my hair wrapped a few times, but usually wear my twist-out, cause I simply love my bush.

Now, there is a sista that wraps her hair within my group, and she has no problems at all. I would love to wrap my hair more, but Im attempting to master the technique of wrapping a wrap with height. (Any suggestions.)

Peace and Many Blessings ... Akenjeli