PDA

View Full Version : Wemilere For Obatala

DivineSpirals
05-28-2003, 06:43 PM
I was blessed with the opportunity to attend my first Lucumi Wemilere (drumming ceremony) in Chicago this past weekend. It was phenomenal. The drumming was fantastic and there was a tremendous amount of positive energy. Everyone did simple dances together as we sang Yoruba songs for the Orisa. The songs are set up as call and response. The crowd was both English and Spanish speaking, but everyone knew the words to the Yoruba songs...it was beautiful. Our voices came out sounding like the recordings of Nigerian drummings that I had heard before. It was neat to see the spiritual family connections...as an initiate, there is a special salute you give to your Godparent (the priest who iniated you, and the priest who iniated your godparent and so on). Afterwards, they had set up a buffet and everyone ate together.

One new thing I learned is that the drums are considered an Orisa. Before the actual public ceremony begins, the drums are given an offering in a closed ceremony, and the drummers must be cleansed before they can play the drums. Then once the public drumming begins, a song is sung for each major Orisa, and the priests who have that Orisa at their head will dance up to the drums and salute each one. This drumming was for Obatala, but all the Orisa represented that day were addressed.

I look forward to attending more of these. These are usually free and open tot he public, depending on who's giving it and for what purpose. If any of you ever gets a chance, I would strongly reccomend attending one.

LotsOfLocs
05-28-2003, 06:44 PM
What organization held the event? Do they have these events in Philly?

DivineSpirals
05-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@May 28 2003, 06:44 PM
What organization held the event? Do they have these events in Philly?
It's not an organizational event. A Wemilere is a regular religious ceremony/gathering, like Church. If there are any Lucumi Ile's (houses) in Philli, then chances are that there are Wemilere's going on in that area. They are not always open, it just depends on what the climate is like around there. In Chicago, people have been pretty cool about the Lucumi presence (no attacks, protests, poparatzi, or reporters), so it was held in a small performance "hall" and the doors were left open. The ceremony was so intense, passers by would drop in and watch from the back of the hall, but not really intrude.

LotsOfLocs
05-28-2003, 07:49 PM
I need to find out if we have any Lucumi Ile's. I would love to go to an event. I'll do some research.

afrikankween
05-29-2003, 12:18 AM
I have attended one of these. I experienced posession, it is very powerful.

DivineSpirals
05-30-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by afrikankween@May 29 2003, 12:18 AM
I have attended one of these. I experienced posession, it is very powerful.
You personally or did you witness one? We were blessed that day to be visited by Obatala, Oya, Osun, Shango, and Yemoja. I suspect that one of the visits was from an ancestor, although they said it was another path of Obatala.

blumoonbabe
05-30-2003, 10:18 AM
Oh man... that sounds great... one of these days I'm gonna go out to the island here and see if i can participate in one here. I'm totally envious.

afrikankween
05-30-2003, 11:44 AM
One thing I would say is, I dont like the idea of them being open to the public.

celine
06-01-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by afrikankween@May 30 2003, 12:44 PM
One thing I would say is, I dont like the idea of them being open to the public.

I do agree.

Celine

DivineSpirals
06-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by afrikankween@May 30 2003, 11:44 AM
I agree with you there. I don't think that most of them are open to the public. I assumed that the one I was at was open, though. But it seemed as if nothing disturbed the flow. Nobody pushed his/her way to the front to gawk. I noticed a couple passers by drop in, but they stayed far in the back. The crowd that surrounded the area of action were all initiates, aborishas, or devotees who knew the songs and dances. Maybe they figured that starngers would "know" their limits there. I was sort of strange how it all worked out.