PDA

View Full Version : She Does Not Want To Comb Her Hair

Fansia
05-29-2003, 11:33 AM
my daughter just turned 3 this month
she has thick 3ish hair, it grows out of her scalp wavey but it tangles very easily. She has ringlets in the back and the rest is frizz and FRIZZ :D
The hair in the back is to her waist when stretched.
she does not want me to come near her with a comb.
as a result if i wanna do her hair it takes me hours.
and i don't like that because i also gotta do her twinsisters hair.
i do all the right things i guess, i hold the hair when i comb it, i only comb with condish in it etc.

how do other parents deal with this. :blink:

LotsOfLocs
05-29-2003, 12:32 PM
Can she watch a video or play with toys while you comb? I used to braid my nieces hair while she slept.

Alken41100
05-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Try no poo and do not comb her hair while it is dry. Keep a spritz bottle mixed with a little conditioner and water. Don't tell that her hair is so tough and hard to comb just let her know that mommy is going to make her hair look so pretty.

CEE26
05-30-2003, 04:31 PM
i'm tender headed..so, i'm very gentle when it comes to the comb..
be gentle....do you use a leave-in after washing?

Fansia
06-01-2003, 06:07 PM
Yesterday i bought "beautifull beginnings" (from dark en lovely) moisturizing oil and leave in conditioner , they both also detangle.

I combed my daughters wet (with conditioner) hair while they were sitting in the bathtub and applied the oil and then the leave in.
Combed it again and styled it (braids).

I do use a leave in (oil and water) but their hair needs something cremier and more moisturizing, the leave in and the oil from B. beginnings worked great.

I think i'm going to switch between washing with condish and washing with diluted shampoo.

I can't distract her with toys or with a video and her hair is too long to do when she's sleeping (i did that when she was a baby) but i think i'm
going to style her hair more often when she's in the bathtub.

tnx for the replies :)

happie2bnappie98
06-01-2003, 10:37 PM
My 3-year old niece has 3 ish hair and if it gets out of control than it is very hard to manage. So my sister lets my mom do it every weekend. What my mom does is wash her hair with a conditioning shampoo and condition. While the conditioner is on there it makes it much easier to comb, the same with adult's hair. Her hair also reaches to mid back, but because it can get tangled easily she keeps it in maybe three plaits and maybe every other Sunday or so she will let her wear it half up half down. From looking at my neice's hair I would advise not to have her hair loose as much as possible because it is so easy to tangle. She may still cry but it will be much less after she sees how easy the comb goes through her hair. :) HTH

C

amalah9
06-02-2003, 04:15 AM
When my daughter was 4 she hated getting her hair done as well. Her hair came mid back when stretched & was a 3c/4a combo. The only time we didn't fight while combing it was in the tub. She would play in the water & get her hair sopping wet. Then I would apply about 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of Lekair Cholesterol Conditioner (the peach colored stuff) on her hair. I would then comb it from tip to root with a wide toothed afro pick. I then rinsed most of the conditioner out in the tub & dried her hair. I would put it in about 6 pony tails while it was still damp. That's the only thing that worked for me with her.

Jadestar
06-16-2003, 05:48 PM
I have a 2 12/ year old boy & he hates getting his hair combed too...I tried giving him his own comb to comb it, washing it in the bathtub(while trying to chase his head around the tub to comb thru). I also tried combing when he was sleeping(only to have him wake up or turn his head on the other side, so I couldn't comb it) and also the video thing too.. Kids...Lol...So this past weekend,,( I think I'll just do this every few months) I shampoo, & conditioned it in the tub, towel dried it, sat him down in his high chair, put on a video, gave him his pacifier & put some kemi oil in his scalp blew it dry( using a warm dryer of course). I just needed some help & that helped, he hardly moved his head b/c It wouldn't tangle up as fast as before. So he couldn't feel it pulling. Then I corn rowed the whole head, w/little or no resistance. So far, it's been 2 days & holding out, but I think i'll probably have to rebraid the bottom part,,,but that's cool.

Info
06-16-2003, 08:50 PM
And here I was thinking I was all alone! :lol: My daughter likes to give me fits when I comb her hair but I just found a solution! I start in the back and let her play with a brush while I do her hair. Oh, she still has something to say about it, but she doesn't seem to complain as much now that she has the brush and can play in her hair :lol: I like the bath tub tip, we'll try that one, thanks! :thumbsup: