PDA

View Full Version : Whats A Good Shampoo For Locs

Clever
09-15-2004, 02:56 PM
I need to wash my hair.
Since its still hot in Chicago. I can wash my hair often and let it air dry. I just got my locs started. Im afraid some shampoos might straighten my latched locs. Whats a good shampoo to use? :-?

I've used Suave Tropical Coconut
*only for the scent and it makes my scalp feel clean

I've used Pantene Pro-V (be curly)
*to keep my coils curly

Infuisium
*to thicken my fine hair

What shampoo's have you used? and what were the effects of the shampoo? :huh

LanieBlaze
09-15-2004, 03:34 PM
I like Carol's Daughter's Rosemary Mint Shampoo. The scent is invigorating, and it's great for clarifying. I don't suffer from "itchies" after using it either. :)

marissasensei
09-15-2004, 06:16 PM
If you're latching your hair, you shouldn't have to worry too much about unraveling, and I don't think a shampoo would cause your locs to straighten out.

I'm a bit of a reformed product junkie, so I have several shampoos i my rotation. Generally, I look for products that are clear/rinse cleanly and don't contain anything like shea butter or heavy conditioners that would build up in my hair. The only exception is Aveda Sap Moss--it is very rich and kind of heavy, but I use it sparingly and rinse like crazy because I like what it does for my hair.

Other stuff I like:
Rusk Moist (This is my "everyday" shampoo--cleans without stripping or leaving my hair feeling coated)
Black Soap (ditto)
Aveda Detoxifier (clarifying)

flybutter
09-15-2004, 07:07 PM
I'm still a bit of a junkie.

My first wash is with Motions then I follow up with either

Aveda's Rosemary Mint
Bath & Body Works Eucalyptus Spearmint
Bath & Body Works Orange Ginger
Carols's Daughter Khoret Amen
Sauve Grapefruit

I'm trying to finish all the above before I buy anything else. If I use the Motions and nothing else my hair unravels on the ends and I've been locked for 3 years.

Said while standing with closed fist raised in the air:

My name is Flybutter and I'm a shampoo junkie! :-cre

Clever
09-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Wow I love Bath and Body Products I didnt know they carried shampoo.

Does that shampoo have Lauryl-sulfate in it?

vonshair
09-15-2004, 07:32 PM
I use VO5 shampoo and it works just fine for me and my fine hair.

Medusa9
09-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Avalon Organics Chamomile/Citrus Clarifying Shampoo
Sun Dog Hemp Shampoo-- moist! I never need a conditioner afterwards.

SexyMocha304
09-15-2004, 11:48 PM
I use Dr. Bronners Peppermint Shampoo, I love the smell and the tingly, clean feeling that you get afterwards, its divine.

I also use Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. I used that back when I wasn't locing as well. It always made my scalp feel real clean, plus u can't beat the price; it's only 98 cents at wal-mart.

LBellatrix
09-16-2004, 01:47 AM
For most of my locked life (9 months 23 days and counting) I've been using Dr. Bronner's almond, diluted 4 to 1. I started out using the Dr. Bronner's I'd been using prior to locking (unscented) but for some reason it seemed harsh. The almond was MUCH better.

During this summer I switched to Suave Naturals tropical coconut shampoo just to see what would happen. Not bad...but I've recently gone back to my Dr. Bronner's.

flybutter
09-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Sorry Clever I've never checked the ingredients. Verybad habit - I also fall in love with clothes/shoes/bags before I check the price.

If I remember I'll do it tonight and get back to you. You may also want to see if they're listed on their website.

Clever
09-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Its cool.........
thanks for the product review.
I love Suave for the price and the Tropical coconut scent.

I've heard alot of bad things about Infusium though.

I just wanted a shampoo that will strengthen my hair and prehaps make it a tad bit thicker.

Where do they sell Dr.Bronner shampoo?

Natural Kinks
09-16-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm still on the hunt for a shampoo but I'm sure that I will be going with Aveda because Dr. Bronner's doesn't work for me and Aveda has great ingredients. I am going to sample Aveda Rosemary Mint this week and I use Aveda Hair Detoxifier when I clarify.

Clever
09-16-2004, 09:03 PM
How often should I use a clarifying shampoo?

shedivac
09-16-2004, 09:50 PM
i started using dark n lovely peppermint antiitch shampoo and i loved it. then i was introduced to neutragenia moisturizing shampoo- very creamy so u have to make sure u rinse well. i have also used taliah waajid's product line. i found her shampoo did not cleanse as well for me as the other two mentioned shampoos but she has a preshampoo that u use w/the shampoo. i was not impressed w/her line of products they just didn't work for me. others have had much success w/her prods. right now i am rotating between the neutragena and dark n lovely.

Natural Kinks
09-16-2004, 09:55 PM
@Clever - about once a month

kenyalikimmie
09-19-2004, 12:34 AM
8) ... I love Dr. Bronners Peppermint Shampoo.... It makes my hair so squeeky clean. I chose peppermint because I have issues with dry scalp and so far my locs and my scalp are loving it.

:offtopic While transitioning I was advised not to use shampoo with lauryl/laureth sulfates in it. Now that I am locing am I supposed to be still doing the same? Just wondered.....

Blessed :heart

alma2254
09-19-2004, 11:50 AM
4 good shampoos I loved on my locs when I was using them:

Creme of nature -herba rich
Tea Tree Shampoo by the Body Shop
Dark and Lovely Anti Itch Peppermint shampoo

To clarify:
Herbal essences purifying shampoo