PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian Recipes

bluvember
09-17-2004, 02:23 AM
A friend of mine just got married and is having a hard time finding recipes to make for the dh. She is pregnant right now so maybe something simple for now, at least till after the baby comes. :razz Even online sources that I can forward her way will be helpful. Thanks in advance :heart

blumoonbabe
09-17-2004, 05:07 AM
you might want to point her to the link in this thread (http://www.nappturality.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=35446)

luvlilocs
09-28-2004, 03:28 AM
Alright, sis, here's a veteren wife of a Nigerian man chimin' in!!

First of all, what does she already know how to cook?

Second, is he Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo?? Each group has their own specialities.

But there are several dishes that are typically Nigerian, whatever your ethnic group might be.

One easy dish is jollof rice.

But the easiest one is rice with stew. Very delicious and easy to prepare.

Cook your rice according to package directions.

For your stew, chop up some onion, garlic, fresh tomatoes.
Saute above ingredients in a pot. Make sure you put 2 or 3 tbsp of oil (vegetable or canola) in the pot.

Put in your meat/protein of choice. My hubby and I are vegetarians now, but 8 years ago (when we were newlyweds) we were not and I would use chicken or smoked turkey or both. Now I use TVP or tofu.

Season your meat and let it cook. Once it is almost done pour in 1 can of tomato sauce or puree and 1/2 can of water. Season the stew with seasoning salt, curry powder, thyme, etc. Add another 2tbsp of oil.

Let it cook for another 20 min. Serve over rice and fried plaintains.

YUM!!!

bluvember
09-28-2004, 03:52 AM
Ooh, dang that sounds good. I might even give that one a try. Thanks abunch, i'll be sure to pass it on. :heart

whzdm
10-23-2004, 02:47 AM
Please let her find a Nigerian friend who can cook...Nigerian food is easy to mess up.

Jollof rice in the wrong hands comes out sticky.
Stew in the wrong hands is a mess...dont even want to go into what okro or vegetable stewcan come out looking or tasting in the wrong hands or with the wrong recipe...

If she is using chicken she needs what is called "hard chicken"...
most if not all Nigerian dishes are easy BUT very easy to mess up...

I live in New York so unless she lives in New York I cannot help her.

Best thing is to go to a kick *** Nigerian restaurant and see/taste/smell how the food is supposed to be, let that be your guide...or enroll in a class

I am not trying to discourage you or her, just to caution you both, I checked out some of the recipes they are incomplete and not enough explanations...

tenachie
10-23-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm not nigeria, but west african so have foods in similarity. I agree that though simple, meals can be difficult to prepare if you don't know what you're doing. also many recipes out there are just guide, assuming you have an idea of what the end result should be. that said here is a link
http://www.motherlandnigeria.com/recipes.html

jollof is pretty universal, but different peoples prepare it differently.

does she truly not know how to cook any nigerian foods or is she looking to improve her technique. the best bet would be to hook up with nigerian women in the area who can show her.

bluvember
10-24-2004, 03:07 AM
As far as I know she has no prior experience cooking nigerian food. Neither do I, we're from south louisiana, we do cajun or creole food. :thumbsup She has since transported to North Carolina, not sure if there are any restaurants she can just pop into around there. I guess she'll have to rely heavily on the in-laws for the in depth details.

Thanx anyway guys, ya'll have been really helpful. :)