PDA

View Full Version : Degreasing

Hamira
09-17-2004, 03:27 AM
I have super oily skin that gets very shiny and slick within an hour of washing it. It was something I struggled with until I discovered the wonders of MoM--Milk of Magnesia. It acts as a mattefier for oily skin and works quite well.

Get a bottle of MoM. Preferrably unflavoured (unless you enjoy the milky mint or cherry scent :huh ). You can dilute it if you wish, or use it full strength, experiment around. Shake the bottle to mix the product. Moisten either your fingers or a cotton ball lightly with product. Smooth onto the oily parts of your (clean) face and let dry. Dust with powder (optional) and your set for the day. You can use any type of powder (baby, bronzer, etc). This is the only thing that works for me personally, and I've tried it all (*thinks back to wasted cash* :smug ) Use after moisturizer. Hope this helps :)

Mizblisslife
09-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Delushious@Sep 16 2004, 11:27 PM
I have super oily skin that gets very shiny and slick within an hour of washing it. It was something I struggled with until I discovered the wonders of MoM--Milk of Magnesia. It acts as a mattefier for oily skin and works quite well.

Get a bottle of MoM. Preferrably unflavoured (unless you enjoy the milky mint or cherry scent :huh ). You can dilute it if you wish, or use it full strength, experiment around. Shake the bottle to mix the product. Moisten either your fingers or a cotton ball lightly with product. Smooth onto the oily parts of your (clean) face and let dry. Dust with powder (optional) and your set for the day. You can use any type of powder (baby, bronzer, etc). This is the only thing that works for me personally, and I've tried it all (*thinks back to wasted cash* :smug ) Use after moisturizer. Hope this helps :)
Hey sis.
Its interesting that u bring this up because this past week, I too have been experimenting with MoM for my period breakout.
My brotherinlaw told me about how he had used it to bust trouble pimples overnight. I also heard that it is used as a face mask as well.
Anyhoo, I tried it out and got ok results. It did indeed dry out my blemish but a scar was still left behind (It basically reduced the size).
Have u heard about this? Do you use it for blemishes as well or as a face mask?
I am also curious about how you use it during the day. Doesnt it dry like a face mask?

blessings

kgraves
09-17-2004, 04:11 PM
lavender water has worked real well for me...

vinny_46
09-17-2004, 06:13 PM
It definitely helps! :app Thanks.

I too, have oily skin that reverts back soon after it's washed. :lol

But I'm a little worried; how long have you been doing this? Or where did you hear it from? :-P I want to make sure that there are no long term effects from using it on my face. (I don't want to wake up and be purple someday) :razz

:offtopic Has anyone heard that Preparation H is good for puffy eyes? It's the menthol. I bought some to try it out, but didn't notice too much difference. I am still embarressed to have it in my medicine cabinet. :lol

Hamira
09-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Mizblisslife+Sep 17 2004, 03:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mizblisslife @ Sep 17 2004, 03:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Delushious@Sep 16 2004, 11:27 PM

Get a bottle of MoM. Preferrably unflavoured (unless you enjoy the milky mint or cherry scent :huh ). You can dilute it if you wish, or use it full strength, experiment around. Shake the bottle to mix the product. Moisten either your fingers or a cotton ball lightly with product. Smooth onto the oily parts of your (clean) face and let dry. Dust with powder (optional) and your set for the day. You can use any type of powder (baby, bronzer, etc). This is the only thing that works for me personally, and I&#39;ve tried it all (*thinks back to wasted cash* :smug ) Use after moisturizer. Hope this helps :)
Hey sis.
Its interesting that u bring this up because this past week, I too have been experimenting with MoM for my period breakout.
My brotherinlaw told me about how he had used it to bust trouble pimples overnight. I also heard that it is used as a face mask as well.
Anyhoo, I tried it out and got ok results. It did indeed dry out my blemish but a scar was still left behind (It basically reduced the size).
Have u heard about this? Do you use it for blemishes as well or as a face mask?
I am also curious about how you use it during the day. Doesnt it dry like a face mask?

blessings [/b][/quote]
I&#39;ve never used it to dry out pimples or as a face mask so I can&#39;t reccomend that for sure. I just used a small, diluted amount on my oily areas to stop the oiliness.

But I&#39;m a little worried; how long have you been doing this? Or where did you hear it from? I want to make sure that there are no long term effects from using it on my face. (I don&#39;t want to wake up and be purple someday)

Well, the purple thing is inevitable, but it goes away after a few days.

Just kidding :duck , there are no side effects. It&#39;s actually a relatively well known at home beauty treatment. If you google "Milk of Magnesia" or "MoM" and "at home beauty" (or something like that) it gives back quite a few matches. No purple claims so far :-)

I&#39;ve heard about the PH as a depuffer, but I dunno........ ;-)

All-Natural
09-18-2004, 05:31 AM
Just came to put my http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_penny.gif in.
I had T-zone thing going on :rolling
But I&#39;ve been using undiluted
tea tree essential oil and pure aloe vera gel
as an astringent after washing and my skin is neither
oily nor dry using this regimen.

Advantages no oily areas
no dry areas
fewer breakouts
quicker scar healing

Disadvantages I’m still not used to the tea tree EO scent

Mizblisslife
09-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by All-Natural@Sep 18 2004, 01:31 AM
Just came to put my http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_penny.gif in.

Advantages no oily areas
no dry areas
fewer breakouts
quicker scar healing

huh. I should try that. sounds good to me.

curlycaramel80
09-18-2004, 02:39 PM
:doh

My skin is super-fied oily and I started using Proactiv abount four months ago. I was pleased with the results and then my skin started to change. It was a lot drier than normal. I had to cut down the usage from 2 times a day to like every other day. It is pretty pricey so I am going to start using something that has a similar exfoliating effect.

alma2254
09-18-2004, 05:46 PM
I agree with All-Natural -it works really well!

EarthyDiva
09-21-2004, 01:52 AM
I&#39;m all about the MoM. I&#39;ve used it everyday for the past year or so. Not purple yet. I&#39;ll let you know.

ED

Natural Kinks
09-21-2004, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by alma2254@Sep 18 2004, 05:46 PM
I third this. Using this works excellent on my t-zone.

Dolliesdaughter
09-21-2004, 12:56 PM
MOM and the J&J baby powder has helped with my T zone 100%.

vinny_46
09-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by All-Natural@Sep 17 2004, 09:31 PM

Advantages no oily areas
no dry areas
fewer breakouts
quicker scar healing

I have both of these ingredients at home, but I&#39;m scared to try it! :huh I hate my oily skin, and the thought of putting more oil on it makes me nauteous.
Doesn&#39;t it clog your pores? :-P

feepee
09-24-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by vinny_46+Sep 23 2004, 03:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vinny_46 @ Sep 23 2004, 03:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-All-Natural@Sep 17 2004, 09:31 PM

Advantages

no oily areas

no dry areas

fewer breakouts

quicker scar healing

Disadvantages

I’m still not used to the tea tree EO scent

I have both of these ingredients at home, but I&#39;m scared to try it! :huh I hate my oily skin, and the thought of putting more oil on it makes me nauteous.
Doesn&#39;t it clog your pores? :-P [/b][/quote]
vinney, tea tree oil (EO) is not like olive oil. It&#39;s not &#39;oily&#39;. i&#39;ll see what info i can find to explain it more...

ETA:What is an Essential Oil? (http://www.essentialoils.org/)

Essential oils are the volatile, aromatic oils obtained by steam or hydrodistillation of botanicals. Most essential oils are primarily composed of terpenes and their oxygenated derivatives. Different parts of the plants can be used to obtain essential oils, including the flowers, leaves, seeds, roots, stems, bark, wood, etc. Certain cold-pressed oils, such as the oils from various citrus peels, are also considered to be essential oils but these are not to be confused with cold-pressed fixed or carrier oils such as olive, grapeseed, apricot kernel, etc. which are non-volatile oils composed mainly of fatty acid triglycerides. Other aromatic, plant-derived oils, which technically aren&#39;t essential oils because they are solvent extracted, include Absolutes (hexane followed by ethanol extraction), CO2&#39;s (liquid carbon dioxide used as the solvent) and Phytols or Florosols (fluoro-hydrocarbon solvent).

vinny_46
09-24-2004, 10:07 PM
*puts on spectacles and tobacco pipe*

Hmm, yes...yes...

Mizblisslife
10-30-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Natural Kinks+Sep 21 2004, 12:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Natural Kinks @ Sep 21 2004, 12:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-alma2254@Sep 18 2004, 05:46 PM
I third this. Using this works excellent on my t-zone. [/b][/quote]
I 4th this!!!! I finally tried it and it really really works!
thnx ladies :app

cristalena
11-02-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by vinny_46@Sep 17 2004, 06:13 PM
:offtopic Has anyone heard that Preparation H is good for puffy eyes? It&#39;s the menthol. I bought some to try it out, but didn&#39;t notice too much difference. I am still embarressed to have it in my medicine cabinet. :lol
oh, i&#39;ve heard about this. apparently, it got started when makeup artists assigned to work on runway models&#39; needed a quick way to depuff the girls who had been partying a little too hard the night before. they say that the same properties used to "deflate" :lol hemorroids also work to shrink eye baggage.

i haven&#39;t tried it yet, but after doing some research about it on google, i think i&#39;ll give it a go.