PDA

View Full Version : Nappy By Nature Salon In Houston

Nx2brat
06-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Okay Houston nappies in search of a natural salon I am going to be our guinea pig until I find a good natural hair care salon. I have a hair consultation scheduled for today with Ayanna...I'll give you guys the low down when I return.
I'm also going to check Soul Scissors and Root of You next week. If you guys think of anymore that I should look into please post.

Brat :P

Patrina
06-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanks, Brat. :thumbsup: I do my twa on my own but I would love to find a natural hair salon anywhere in houston. My hair would be worth it no matter the location.

Peace and Napptural hair grease :rainfro:
Patrina

Nx2brat
06-06-2003, 04:16 AM
Okay .. It's located at Calhoun and Griggs.. on the Southside. The owners are really nice.. it has a cool vibe not stuffy. Ultra clean.. which is a pet peeve of mine.. :) dirty salons bother me. They're into locs but they style all natural hair.. you can go in for a hair consultation and they'll sit down and discuss what you want and prices.

Initial visit I give them an A.

I'm scheduled for an appointment next thursday.. so I'll report back with more details.

Patrina
06-06-2003, 02:26 PM
:thumbsup: Keep me posted.

Patrina

Fatimah
06-06-2003, 05:06 PM
GREAT TOPIC! And thanks for taking the time to guinea pig for us Brat! :D

I actually went to Nappy by Nature for my big chop a couple of weeks ago and like you I loved the facilities and the friendly staff. (and I also think their main thing is locs)

My only peeve was that after lurking on nappturality and researching for so long, i had ideas of how I wanted my natural hair treated. I mean, I didn't necessarily think they'd be on the no-poo and EO tip but I thought they'd have some products and techniques that cater to natural hair more.

The cut was perfect! I think he cut it nicely. But that's when everything went left. :unsure: He washed my hair with Fantacia or something shampoo, rinsed, then ....RUBBED RUBBED RUBBED it dry with a towel. At this point I'm thinking (NO! Brother, you must squeeze the naps, dont' rub the naps!) lol. but I reminded myself that I'm just a nappturality flunkie and newly napptural not a professional stylist.

I also wanted a dark colored rinse put in and he smacked it on my head (Did not base my hairline so by the time he finished I had blueblack all over my ears and forehead which he proceeded to RUB off with alcohol :blink:

But that passes and he sits me down and pulls out a comb....NOw I'm thinking... HEY MAN! Wsup with a conditioner? Can a sister get a deep conditioner? I mean, I paid for cut wash style....I assumed conditioner figured into all that. lol

SO, I asked and he said he planned to use a Maine and Tail leave in.... :nohuh: NOt a happy camper so I ask if we can use the Hydrating curls I had in the car (PJ for sure) and if I could sit under the dryer for a couple minutes before continuing.

And to his defense, he was more than cool with working with my product and condition request....

But after the brief conditioner, He pulls out a pic and gets to picking any sign of a smoooth nap or definition I had out of my hair, no products put in for moisture, then PAT PAT PAT pated it down...

Yeah....I was not a happy camper. SO I asked about products and he sprayed some Dark and Lovely sheen spray on it.

Sigh.

I mean, I still left the shop very happy cause I was now rocking all natural hair, perm was gone, and I had a nicely shaped TWA. But let's just say had I not went shopping the day before and bought oils and eos and butters galore and even mixed up some recipes, I would have been too sad when my hair shrunk up into the dry, super tight, no sheen having, moisture lacking twa that it became not long after I left the shop... :(

But on the good note :D , The boy worked the cut, and while I was there I saw a woman getting some BEAUTIFUL twists put in her hair. And all the stylists hair were rocking.

SO....

Maybe just go in with realistic expectations of products, techniques, etc. I think I was expecting everyone to be a Curly Girl expert and have a wide assortment of products and suggestions for a new TWA wearer.....

(By the way, I think the Root of You does more of this kind of stuff but they also cost a grip.)

Aiight, There's my 9cents. (probably more than you wanted to know but I like details so I always try to provide em....)

:afro:

Edited to add: Woah, I just realized how long this was....sorry folks...I got excited when I say Nappy By Nature and wanted to share my experience. Didnt mean to write a book or hijack the topic

tracyannette
06-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Wow I have been looking for a place to, but have yet to find one. At the moment, I don't have enough money to try The Root of You. I can't wait for the reviews from the people that can afford to check these places out.

Tracy

bajanempress
06-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Can anyone give me a price range for these salons?

solsista
06-09-2003, 06:49 PM
i love knappi by nature. :rainfro: the staff is cool, they also offer great advice for nappturals. i think you should check them out.

peace.

Patrina
06-09-2003, 09:20 PM
solsista, where is knappi by nature located?

Brat, how are you doing with being the houston guinea pig? Do you need any help? I have a twa but a consultation shouldn't hurt. Let me know if I can be of any help. :thumbsup: :D

Patrina

solsista
06-10-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Patrina@Jun 9 2003, 09:20 PM
solsista, where is knappi by nature located?

Brat, how are you doing with being the houston guinea pig? Do you need any help? I have a twa but a consultation shouldn't hurt. Let me know if I can be of any help. :thumbsup: :D

Patrina
knappi by nature is located at 4740 griggs. if coming from 610, exit mlk and make a right on mlk. go down to griggs and make a left. it will be next to a laundry mat on the left hand side. i believe two other sistas on the board have visited them. in my opinion, they are the best so far. you maay have heard their commercial on 97.5 fm. ask for ayanna, she is great. :thumbsup:

peace.

solsista
06-10-2003, 04:40 AM
one other thing. the number to the shop is (713) 440-8000. tell her mattilyn sent you.

peace

tracyannette
06-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by bajanempress@Jun 9 2003, 10:32 AM
Can anyone give me a price range for these salons?
Well i know the prices for the root of you are on their website. Here's the link.
http://www.therootofyou.com/

Tracy

noliared
06-11-2003, 05:16 PM
I have never been to a salon here in Houston. I would like to one day, but I know that I know more about my hair than any of these stylists out here. For one, my hair hates oils and a lot of natural stylists seem to think that all nappy heads are alike.

But if any of you Houstonians are talented at hair styling - Root of You has an opening for a natural stylist. I had heard a lot of bad things about the stylist they had before - that she was flaky. It would be nice if one of us could go down there and show them the real deal!

PRASHUS
06-21-2003, 01:02 AM
well i went to only one nappy salon in houston. the name slipped my mind but i got a call from the girl who did my starter loc that they closed and shes solo now. :( but im think it should be cheaper now. lol lol but i washed my locs out and will probably get them again in a few months. but anyways. i thought i found a nappy salon cause they are called jes-us.com and i thought. cool something closer to me. my sister went there once and was telling me that they do natural hair also but i didnt know we was thinking of the same place. but i went to their website and saw all this straight hair. bt she says they did braids and locs and stuff. so ive been wanting braids but didnt want to drive to the southside or go to the expensive places on my side of town. so i called them to get pricing. i hate doing this so i didnt get the info that i needed, but i decided to get cornrows w/extentions for $30. im getting them tomorrow so i'll let yall know how it was. the website is www.jes-us.com im so frustrated about these expensive natural hair salons makes me wanna learn how to do it myself. open a shop and hook yall up. lol maybe one day. lol :pumpheart: :afro:

PRASHUS
06-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Ok so i just got back from jes-us.com. it was nice. the people were really nice and had me laughing my butt off. lol i got basic cornrows straight back. just needed something cheap in my head for a few weeks. but ill have a pic on my page lata today. the girl i had was Meka. and there was another girl who just chopped that does hair also. they also do micros for $135? braids $125 double strand twist $125. i may go back and get the twist one day. but i enj9oyed my experience. the number is 281-345-hair

Alicia
06-22-2003, 12:33 AM
I went to their website and it looked like they were located on the other side of town. Kinda near alief? Thats far from me (i live in mo-city). But i'm glad you found a good place!! Do you know anywhere in houston the sells bbd glass?

PRASHUS
06-22-2003, 01:30 AM
what is bbd glass? ive heard people talkin about it but dont know what the bbd stands for if anything or what its used for so sorry i cant help you. there is a braiding place on fondren and west belfort called braids experts they may do twist. there are 2 locations that one is closer to you. there is a place in alief off bellair and hwy6 called sister2sister i believe thats not too far from mocity. and there is one off 59 my sister say they do natural hair but i dont know about twist. i think its called highlighters or highliners not sure. you may have to travel outisde of mo city for natural styles. i know there is a shop on texas pkwy dont remember the cross street but its near a sonic and a mcdonalds and an hcc. last time i was over there i saw a shop that did braids maybe they do twist also. but other wise you may have to travel or do some deep searching to find a place close to you. the place i went to is off hwy6 and before little york its not in alief.

noliared
06-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Alicia, from what I understand you can only order BBD Glass online or in New York. You could probably try the Swap and Sell board to see if anyone wants to send you a sample or is selling it before you pay $20 for it.

Phasus, I am kind of interested in twists extensions - does this place do any other natural styles that you could see? BBD Glass is a styling creme made popular on these sites by Curve Salon in brooklyn. It is mainly used for curl definition.

HTH?!

sharmyka
07-18-2003, 11:55 PM
is anyone aware of a salon called Strictly Roots? I saw that there is one on Almeda, which is by the Reggae Hut, but I called information today and the stylist said that they were located on Elgin. Now I am really confused. How can there be two salons by the same name? I dont have a phone book here at home... i should have asked the stylist and i wish i had, but i was at work and didnt have time to talk.

Nx2brat
07-19-2003, 02:39 AM
I know Soul Scissors use to be located on Almeda..maybe they changed their name I think it's 4400 block.