PDA

View Full Version : Bleach

soulgirl
10-13-2004, 10:47 AM
hi again- I have bought this subject up before - but now I cannot find it since the nappturality IT shut down.
A lot has arisen from this subject.

The question is why do Black women bleach their skin?

wildkiki
10-13-2004, 11:36 AM
because they want to look lighter. what other purposes are there for skin bleaching?

soulgirl
10-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by wildkiki@Oct 13 2004, 11:36 AM
because they want to look lighter. what other purposes are there for skin bleaching?
I know the purpose of bleaching is to look lighter- but why do Black women still want to do this in this day and age??

I want to know what has gone wrong? what needs to be changed. It's a sickening fact that it's a multi million industry and we as Black women are being too blazay about the bleach thang. Where should the education on the negative effects and reasons for bleaching be placed?? schools? doctors surgeries? where?

This is an extreme problem.

Trula
10-13-2004, 01:55 PM
I think a lot of black women use it and it is a problem, but I have never encountered anyone who uses it who will say outright: I want to be lighter, I want to lighten my skin. They say things like, I want to even out my skin tone or I want to fade my pimple scars, stuff like that. I had a neighbor once who put skin bleach all over her baby so she would stay light-skinned (you know how sometimes black kids are born real light and then darken to their true color within a year or so) and her daughter's skin got all splotchy and messed-up.

soulgirl
10-13-2004, 03:12 PM
:rolling I can't tell you how sick that is that is absolutley sick.
How could a mother do that to her child!
When will Black women realise how the western world are trying to look like us without actually saying it!
with the increase of bum, breast lip enhancements and implants , tanning and darkening
they want to look like us. The michael jackson look has never been anything to aspire to. I want to put a ban on bleach creams and colour identity needs to be addressed
i.e do you consider yourself light skinned or black.
honey brown or black
dark chocolate or black or do you ise both descriptions to use a positve choice of colour identifying.

Deljah
10-13-2004, 09:26 PM
I've been using some skin bleach on my back in an attempt to even my skin tone.

My back is currently a veritable mosaic of black, brownSSSSSS and tan colors. Add a splattering of acne scars and there you have it!

It is not cute. at all.

I'm using the bleach only on the shoulder blades where the skin is drastically different. I've pretty given up on the rest of my back and I'll let the acne scars fade on their own...with time, hopefully. I doubt my skin tone will ever be even, but one day, I'd like for my shoulder blades to NOT look like they've been burned to a crisp in comparison to the rest of my skin.

So, :blah :blah :blah everybody doesn't use bleach to be white or lighter. If I could be darker and only one color, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If my whole body was the color of my shoulder blades, that would be great! Alas, that is not the case.

wildkiki
10-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Deljah,

Aren't you worried that the areas u are bleaching still won't be the same color as your skin. I have this really big scar from a car accident, and it is much darker than my skin. I asked my dermatologists if bleaching cream was a good option and he told me no, because they don't often work on fading the scar itself and the skin around it, can get lighter. After hearing that I put an end to that idea, I already have light spots all over my body from skin disorders.

Deljah
10-13-2004, 11:50 PM
Nah, I'm not really worried about that. I try to keep the bleach localized, but frankly, if the surrounding skin became a tad bit lighter, it wouldn't look much different than how it looks now. :lol

I have one tube of bleach that I've been using. It was prescribed by the dermatologist. I haven't noticed any changes yet. If I could just lighten the dark area a little or blend it a little, that would be very nice. But, unless I see some noticeable changes, I'm going to discontinue this bleach after this tube is up. Maybe even before then. At some point, acceptance is the answer.

vixxen13
10-14-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Deljah@Oct 13 2004, 02:26 PM
So, :blah :blah :blah everybody doesn't use bleach to be white or lighter. If I could be darker and only one color, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If my whole body was the color of my shoulder blades, that would be great! Alas, that is not the case.
Speak it girl.

I use bleaching cream, Hydroquinone (or something) to bleach the scars on my legs. Its working pretty good. You just have to be careful to keep it off the surrounding skin. After I apply I take a q-tip dipped in alcohol or an alcohol wipe and clean the area around my scar to prevent the bleach from absorbing in that area. And even if it did make it somewhat lighter I wouldnt care at least it wouldnt be ugly black marks on my legs.

And my face is so uneven. My cheeks are super pale and the rest of my face use to be a mosaic of colors. It has evened out over the years (on its own) but I know if it didnt I would be seeking some kind of treatment cause you are right Deljah, it is NOT cute.

So im so sick of people saying oh my gosh they should stop making that stuff its only purporting bw insecurities :blah :blah :blah But thats not completely true. Some people really NEED it. Why should I have to walk around with scars on my legs.

soulgirl
10-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Deljah@Oct 13 2004, 11:50 PM
I'm going to discontinue this bleach after this tube is up. Maybe even before then. At some point, acceptance is the answer.
Accepptance is the answer

I am very surprised to hear nappturality members using bleach- just because it is a harsh chemical substance. We have found alternatives to use in our hair rather than perm cream and shampoo's etc... so why not find a natural alternative for scarring and other marks??

shea butter, coco butter and bio oils are fantastic natural scarring diminishers- Natural exfoliants like apricot also work wonders...

Bleach is bleach and to put that on your skin is frighteneing!!

why not keep it Napptural throughout your body routine rather than just for your hair. I am talking from experience I suffered badly from acne and using natural methods got rid of my scars and skin discolouration was the best thing i ever did now my skin is clearer and evened out.

vinny_46
10-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by wildkiki@Oct 13 2004, 03:36 AM
:lol :lol

I believe some women also use it to even out their skin tones. But I doubt that's why most women (of all races) use it. :-P

vixxen13
10-16-2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by soulgirl+Oct 14 2004, 08:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soulgirl @ Oct 14 2004, 08:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Deljah@Oct 13 2004, 11:50 PM
I&#39;m going to discontinue this bleach after this tube is up. Maybe even before then. At some point, acceptance is the answer.
Accepptance is the answer

I am very surprised to hear nappturality members using bleach- just because it is a harsh chemical substance. We have found alternatives to use in our hair rather than perm cream and shampoo&#39;s etc... so why not find a natural alternative for scarring and other marks??

shea butter, coco butter and bio oils are fantastic natural scarring diminishers- Natural exfoliants like apricot also work wonders...

Bleach is bleach and to put that on your skin is frighteneing!!

why not keep it Napptural throughout your body routine rather than just for your hair. I am talking from experience I suffered badly from acne and using natural methods got rid of my scars and skin discolouration was the best thing i ever did now my skin is clearer and evened out. [/b][/quote]
You are surprised at nappturality members using chemicals. :rolling Just because we dont perm our hair or SOME members dont shampoo that does not mean all members of this site are obsessed with being all natural. While shea butter and other ingredients do work they do not have anywhere near as well as bleaching substances. Maybe as well as those store bought ones But mine is prescription strength and it works wonders. I havent had any negative effects so I would recommend it to anyone who really wanted to get rid of scars. Ive used cocoa butter and it didnt work. Bleach all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CatSuga
10-16-2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Deljah@Oct 13 2004, 03:26 PM
I&#39;ve been using some skin bleach on my back in an attempt to even my skin tone.

I bleach my forehead.

There is nothing worse than have 5 shades of black from the neck up. :-P

soulgirl
10-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by CatSuga@Oct 16 2004, 03:04 AM

I am so sad you feel this is the worse thing- I am sorry to say it is almost impossible to be one tone of shade and 5 or even 20 shades of black is beautiful to me... maybe you should wear foundation
This is so sad. :offtopic

CatSuga
10-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by soulgirl+Oct 23 2004, 04:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soulgirl @ Oct 23 2004, 04:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CatSuga@Oct 16 2004, 03:04 AM

I am so sad you feel this is the worse thing- I am sorry to say it is almost impossible to be one tone of shade and 5 or even 20 shades of black is beautiful to me... maybe you should wear foundation
This is so sad. :offtopic [/b][/quote]
:lol You&#39;ve never seen my forehead.

Artsyblack
10-25-2004, 01:43 AM
Because to some the media is still more powerful than the mind.

Deljah
10-25-2004, 01:56 AM
You&#39;re right. It really is sad...sad that when people express that they may use bleach for reasons other than to look white, other folks just can&#39;t accept those reasons and want to judge instead.

At some point, acceptance is the answer for more than one situation. Maybe one day, we can begin to accept choices that other folks make.

But anywho, I think it&#39;s for me and my back of many colors to "fade to black" and :tiptoe up out of here.

dejalove26
11-13-2004, 02:39 PM
you ask for acceptance of your opinions but you obviously can&#39;t accept others. If someone feels that it is sad that for the sake of looking a certain way you would put chemicals on your skin then that&#39;s their opinion, but know that that is no different than someone using a perm because they think their nappy hair is SO NOT CUTE. It&#39;s all for the sake of appearances and what you believe does and does not look good. Just because someone chooses to take care of their body in a natural manner does not make them obsessed, but if I was going to be obesessed with something I would rather be obsessed with keeping myself healthy in a natural way than being obsessed with putting chemicals on my body in order to look a certain way.

Disclaimer: THIS IS MY OPINION IF YOU DON&#39;T LIKE IT THAT IS YOUR ISSUE NOT MINE. THIS IS A FORUM AND EVERYONE IS INTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINIONS. EVERYONE IS NOT GOING TO AGREE. SOME OF YOU FORGET THAT.

HAVE A BLESSED DAY!!

Mollyright
11-14-2004, 09:36 AM
II suffer from skin discoloration so when I was about 16 I tried the bleaching. I didn&#39;t do it to become lighter in any sense but I want my skin to be uniform and there is nothing wrong with that. But anyway the stuff dosen&#39;t work so I don&#39;t currently use it. But what I really am posting to say is people need to get off their high horse. The notion that people who use skin bleach aren&#39;t using it to even skin complexions or various reasons because they truly want to be lighter and therfore more acceptable is so arrogant. Don&#39;t make a judgement until you walked a mile in someone elses shoes. And even if someone wanted to be a shade lighter who cares its their skin and their health not anyone elses. My point MIND YOUR BUISNESS!!

Saundus
11-14-2004, 06:14 PM
I used to be a makeup consultant and I KNOW that many people have skin ailments and that bleaching the skin is an alternative to evening the skin out. Everyone doesn&#39;t have a complex with their skin color. Some people say that they are using the bleach to get rid of blemishes because more than likely they are. My mom used to use it because she had facial hair and she would get it tweezed out. When the hair grows back sometimes it leaves the skin black after repeated abuse, that&#39;s why she used it. Not only is it an alternative, but to many it&#39;s the cheapest compared to other options.

butterpecan
11-14-2004, 06:27 PM
I read this article a long time ago about women and africa bleaching their skin. Some of the women were doing it because they said it made them feel more attractive. It was a really sad article I think it was in the vibe or source mag. I also had some friends say I wish I had lighter skin, for what! We come in all colors and we are all beautiful and skin bleaching is just a form of self hate.

leeltweety
11-15-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Deljah@Oct 13 2004, 01:26 PM
I&#39;ve been using some skin bleach on my back in an attempt to even my skin tone.

My back is currently a veritable mosaic of black, brownSSSSSS and tan colors. Add a splattering of acne scars and there you have it!

It is not cute. at all.

I&#39;m using the bleach only on the shoulder blades where the skin is drastically different. I&#39;ve pretty given up on the rest of my back and I&#39;ll let the acne scars fade on their own...with time, hopefully. I doubt my skin tone will ever be even, but one day, I&#39;d like for my shoulder blades to NOT look like they&#39;ve been burned to a crisp in comparison to the rest of my skin.

So, :blah :blah :blah everybody doesn&#39;t use bleach to be white or lighter. If I could be darker and only one color, I&#39;d do it in a heartbeat. If my whole body was the color of my shoulder blades, that would be great! Alas, that is not the case.
How long have you used it for? Has it worked?

Deljah
11-16-2004, 02:41 PM
I&#39;ve been very inconsistent with my bleach use, so I&#39;m probably not the best person to ask about its effectiveness. But has it worked...eh. I have not noticed a drastic change, but it does seem like the darker color is a little "softer". There is still a distinct difference in the colors, but imo, it&#39;s not that "what the h*ll happened to your back" difference that I started out with. :lol :lol

I do feel better about it and probably will continue to use the bleach, when I remember to. I&#39;ve been using it off and on (mostly off) for probably 6 or 7 months. I think my results would be better if I were more consistent.

Venetter
11-17-2004, 06:27 PM
I bleached the area near my underarms with Palmers Skin success. It used to look really black, so I did it until it blended with the rest of my skin tone. I also did the same with the black spots on my knees. That was about 5 years ago. Whether or not my original tone has returned I haven&#39;t really noticed.

I do have a big ol&#39; birthmark on the left side of my face. A friend police officer even asked if everything was okay at home cuz he thought it was a bruise. I used to be a bit insecure about it in elementary school, but now I don&#39;t even notice it (My friend totally caught me off guard!). I&#39;ve never tried to bleach it.

tsaraya29
11-17-2004, 08:39 PM
While we&#39;re on the topic of evening skin tone, I&#39;ve started using Neutrogena&#39;s line of Visibly even products that was created specifically for women of color w/ acne scars. There&#39;s no hydroquinone or bleach (if that what bleach really is) but there&#39;s something called active soy which is supposed to help clear up acne scars. I&#39;ve been using it for 2 weeks and I can definitely notice a difference.

But as far as being all natural, I think this topic has been DONE 2 DEATH on NP. :rolling I mean here we go again with other people trying to put a measure on someone else&#39;s self-acceptance or natural-ness. You could go on for days about what does and does not constitute naturalness and please don&#39;t say it&#39;s just being chemical-free. There are chemicals in everrrrrythinggggg, including food you eat, the soap you use and regular ol&#39; hand lotion.

thunderstorm
11-18-2004, 08:10 PM
@ catsuga,

i&#39;ve never seen your forehead either, but your response made me laugh out loud! :lol

i used a bleaching cream in the past to rectify a scar left by a rash. what ended up happening, as someone previously stated, is that the skin around the scar became lightened, while the scar itself barely changed tone. and it&#39;s practically impossible to smooth cream only on the area of a scar without some of it getting beyond the scar.

anyway, when i saw what was happening, i stopped using it and during the summer, decided to lay out to make my overall skin tone darker and even in color. that worked much better, but only during the hotter months. over the years, the scar is barely noticeable to me, which means that a stranger wouldn&#39;t even see it at all.