PDA

View Full Version : I Love Olives!

alma2254
10-23-2004, 01:38 PM
One of the few things I have to have in the kitchen --olives!

I just made a stir fry using olives:

In a frying pan or wok:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large cut up mushrooms
2 garlic pieces cut up
A drizzle of vegeterian soya sauce
A handful of leafy salad
1 red pepper cut up
A handful of pimiento filled olives, cut into half

I added a cup of water, and slowly let it fry until the water absorbed, and the ingredients are frying. Then I switch off the stove and serve it on brown rice. YUM!

Its the olives that seem to bring it to life!

Does anyone know any other ways to use olives for cooking?

gigglezk
10-23-2004, 02:48 PM
i don't have any recipies but i just wanted to say i love the olive spread used for mufulettas...mmm, tasty

bluvember
10-24-2004, 02:43 AM
I normally have olives in my green salads. I have also seen them used in this thing called an Italian burrito.
I also like the taste of olives, green and black. I use sliced black olives in my enchiladas, lasagna, and spaghetti sauce. Pretty much anything mexican or italian. Oh, and I know that a lot of mediterranean foods use olives.

DaisysHair
11-07-2004, 02:51 AM
My son and I love olives, I love them in salads, tacos, burritos. We like to eat the as snacks as well. I make a spinach salad with black olives grape tomatos, boiled egg whites, cooked turkey bacon, dole baby spinach belnds, Love it, the taste of the olives really come out with this blend. :heart

teekydawg
11-07-2004, 11:49 AM
i love olives as well. a combination of green and black olives goes very well in red pasta sauce. i make a focaccia bread and top it with sliced olives, olive oil and ripe roma tomatoes. focaccia is really easy to make and vegan friendly, it's pretty much flour, yeast and water. I also love olives w/pimento on deviled eggs. yummy!

Artsyblack
11-30-2004, 09:26 PM
Really easy and time consuming. You can add other seasonings/ingredients if you like. This is just a basic standard real Italian recipe from some old Italian guys I knew. No measurments just use your own judgement.

Pasta with Black Olives

Package of Pasta ( your chocie)

Rock Salt (or sea salt)

Can of Stewed Tomatos

Garlic ( chop in small pieces)

Olive Oil

Can Of Large Black Olives ( or your choice of size)

Heat up 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and add chopped garlic.
Let simmer for about 5 minutes on low heat or until it starts to sizzle.
Add can of Stewed tomatos (I prefer to cut my tomatos up a bit more than they alreay are. I don't like biting into anything chunky).
Cut up and add Black Olives
Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes
While that's cooking, boil pasta in salt and drain as usually.

Top pasta with sauce and favorite cheese or cheese substitute. Eat with bread and a nice green salad.

Artsyblack
11-30-2004, 09:28 PM
opps, meant to say time conserving!

EarthyDiva
12-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Easy Yummy Olive Paste

1 can drained pitted olives
dash Worchestershire
dash black pepper
2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1-3 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2-6 tbsp fresh parmesan/romano, or similar hard cheese
1/2 to 1 tsp fresh garlic to taste (optional)
2-3 tsp capers (optional)
fresh basil to taste (optional)
fresh oregano to taste (optional)

Mix olives, Wo..., pepper, o.o., balsamic vinegar and cheese in food processor/blender. add optional items to your liking. Add the minimum amount of each ingredient and increase to your liking of taste and texture.

Spread on fancy crackers, foccacia, toast, fresh veggies. I have used as a sandwich spread. Yum!

My Ecuadorian friend put lots of olives in her Yellow Rice and Peas.

Ciao,
ED

frizzyme
12-08-2004, 07:27 PM
I also like olives. Here is a quick and easy recipe using olives

1 lb of any firm fleshed fish (talapia is easy to get)
8 oz of salsa
1 onion
1 or 2 tomatoes
cilantro
2 oz of olives

Slice the onions. Place on the bottom of a microwave safe dish. Place fish on top of onions. Place salsa and tomatoes on top of fish. Layer on olives and cilantro. Cover with wax paper and microwave on high for 10-15 minutes or until done. The best part about this is that its almost impossible to overcook the fish.

blufaerie
12-09-2004, 02:16 PM
I adore olives, and I like all kinds. Whole Foods has an olive bar that I have to avoid like the plague when I am down in the wallet. I cant resist them!

There was a guy that made some marinated olives on Martha Stewart the other night. I believe the recipe is on her website.

That olive paste recipe above sounds great, but yall know I have to veganify it! LOL! :lol:

jorjeni
12-13-2004, 01:40 PM
I got this from whole foods. I love this stuff. I have not made the recipe but on their site they have it so here it is ............

Mediterranean Salsa
Makes 2 cups
1 - 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
6 oz organic kalamata olives, pitted and diced
2 green onions (tops only), thinly sliced
3 TB chopped fresh basil
1 TB freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 tsp dry whole oregano
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled

Prep time: 20 minutes

Drain tomatoes well and chop to a 1/4" dice. Combine all ingredients except feta. Gently stir in feta cheese. Serve with hearth-baked bread from our Bakehouse.

Nutrition Info
Per Serving: 103 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated), 2g protein, 4g carbohydrates, 10mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium
Exchanges: 1 veg, 13/4 fat