PDA

View Full Version : Salmon.

ValleyOfDecision
10-25-2004, 03:15 AM
Anyone have any salmon recipes? I'm trying to eat healthier. BUT, I'll take fried salmon recipes too. :thumbsup

Oh, and I don't care where the recipes originated - African, Asian, etc.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup

stillwater09
10-25-2004, 04:11 AM
mine are pretty simple

take the salmon, skin it if you want or need to (if you do if after cooked, it will be easier, but will leave a dark mark on part of the 'meat')

i put it in a glass baking dish with chopped onions, garlic, and green and red peppers, with the salmon seasoned well with seasoning salt and pepper, rub the garlic in if possible.

add about 3 tablespoons on water, cover with foil and bake on 400 for about 15 minutes, remove foil and broil for a few minutes to brown.

i also do this on the stove using basically the same ingredients.

goes very well with zuccini/squash with onions and yellow rice. the water that you add to the pan keeps the fish moist.

HTH

ValleyOfDecision
10-25-2004, 03:14 PM
sounds yummy, thanks! :thumbsup

:-P for more......

bluchoclate
10-25-2004, 03:36 PM
I usually just choose a marinade, let it soak, then bake, grill, or broil. Just Saturday I ate broiled Salmon and it was delicious!! I usually get different marinades each time just see how they taste. It is pretty simple to do. I hope you enjoy.

ValleyOfDecision
10-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Oh, good, so I CAN use marinade! I have two waiting to be used. Thanks. :thumbsup

Any more out there? :-P

stillwater09
10-29-2004, 05:16 AM
if you have a grill, that's delish, use foil and season well...mmmm.....

mgtgcc
10-30-2004, 02:55 AM
Here is a great Thai recipe that I use quite often. Enjoy!

1.5 lbs -- salmon fillet
1 can -- unsweetened coconut milk
1 tbs -- grated ginger
1 tbs -- brown sugar
2 tbs -- fish sauce
2 tbs -- red or mild curry paste
1/2 -- lime, no seeds
1/4 cup -- basil
2 tbs -- cilantro
3 cups -- steamed jasmine rice

Makes about 4 servings

1. Remove the skin from the fillets and cut fish into medium cubes
2. Put the coconut milk into a saute pan/wok and add ginger, sugar, fish sauce, curry paste, and lime juice
3. Use a whisk/fork to blend until smooth
4. Bring the coconut milk to a boil and add fish
5. Cook, turning fish gently to cook all sides as it cooks, for 5-7 minutes -- DON'T OVERCOOK
6. Sprinkle curry with chopped basil and cilantro
7. Serve over jasmine rice

ValleyOfDecision
10-30-2004, 05:31 AM
Where's the "licking lips" smiley when you need it? Thanks ladies. :thumbsup

:-P for more........

bluvember
11-02-2004, 02:01 AM
Dang ya'll got it going on! :) I only know how to cook canned salmon. :lol

law
11-04-2004, 12:51 PM
I make a decent mustard brown sugar crusted salmon.

Ingredients:

Salt + Pepper or seasoning salt
Brown sugar
Mustard powder

Take the skin of the salmon (you don’t have to but I prefer it) rub down with seasoning salt or salt and pepper. Then rub on the brown sugar. Sprinkle on the Mustard powder and sear, on both sides, in a pan that has a little hot olive oil (any oil or butter). Stick in the oven until done.

This can also be cooked by broiling the salmon. Take a cheap aluminum pan season the fish and add the brown sugar and mustard and put oven on broil. When sugar on one side is golden brown turn the fish over with tongs to get the other side. It gets a little smoky in the oven because the sugar is caramelizing. Enjoy.

ValleyOfDecision
11-06-2004, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by bluvember@Nov 1 2004, 10:01 PM
Dang ya'll got it going on! :) I only know how to cook canned salmon. :lol
Girl, same here! And I JUST learned how to do that a few days ago.

Thanks for the recipes so far. They sound so yummy! I'll take canned and fresh salmon recipes. :)

:-P :pop

mgtgcc
11-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Ok -- Here's one more............

TORTILLA CRUSTED SALMON (or any other fish you prefer)

4 (6-ounce) fillets
1 cup crushed tortilla chips
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon chile powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
2 tablespoons flour
2 large eggs or egg whites -- whatever's your preference
Vegetable oil for frying

1. Wash and pat dry fillets. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a shallow baking pan, toss tortilla chips with the next 6 ingredients (breadcrumbs through cayenne).
3. Whisk eggs/whites together in a bowl.
4. Lightly dust fillets with flour. Dip fish in eggs/whites, then dredge in tortilla chip mixture.
5. Heat enough oil in a large oven-proof skillet to cover the bottom over medium heat. When hot but not smoking, gently lay fish in skillet.
6. Brown on one side (about 2 minutes) then turn. Turn heat off and place skillet in oven to finish cooking, about 6-8 minutes for medium temperature (for a 1-inch thick piece of fish).
7. Remove skillet from oven and transfer fish to a cutting board (uncovered) to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Ok, this is the official recipe, but I usually mix and match my spices.

DaisysHair
11-07-2004, 02:54 AM
I love salmon and I am taking lots of notes, I try to eat fish at least twice a weak, Tilapia is now one of me favorites too. :heart

BlackOnyx03
11-07-2004, 03:00 AM
My salmon marinade (ok, I did borrow it from Cooking Light magazine) is the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never liked salmon until I tasted it prepared this way.

You need olive oil, honey, pepper, and low-sodium soy sauce. (Trust me!) I apologize for not giving exact measurements, but I usually don't bother to measure the ingredients out anymore. You cannot go wrong!

I mix all the liquids with a few dashes of pepper together in a plastic Ziploc bag. I let the salmon marinate in the juices for as long as I want (anywhere from 20 mins - half a day) and then bake it for 15 minutes or broil it for 6-8.

Try this and tell me what you think! :-)

ValleyOfDecision
11-08-2004, 03:32 AM
mgtgcc - I need a lickin' lips smiley. That sounds delightful. :)

DaisysHair - I LOVE tilapia too!

BlackOnyx03 - sounds yummy. If you can gimme some measurements though (they don't have to be exact, just close enough if you can't do exact), it'll be all good. :)

More, more more!......

:pop :-P

ValleyOfDecision
01-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Bumping just in case there are any more.

Also, my mother told me how to make salmon from a can "Panamanian style". Not sure if it's Panamanian, but it came out pretty good if I say so myself. :) Made it a few days ago with jasmine rice.

Cut up onions and peppers, saute them in oil

Add tomato paste with 2 cups water OR some plain tomato sauce with not as much water as with tomato paste

Add salmon

Throw in some seasonings (I added red pepper, Adobo, black pepper, a little salt, Italian seasonings, basil, parsley, WHATEVER)

Let simmer until it's ready (whenever you think that is)

Tasted good to me. ;)

ValleyOfDecision
01-25-2005, 12:33 AM
Bumping just in case there are more.

I made some salmon from a can a few days ago (my mother gave me a recipe) and it came out good. :)

Clever
01-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Here is one of my favorite recipes for salmon.
Very easy and it is absolutely delicious! Hope
you will enjoy.

Grilled Salmon in Honey Mustard Sauce

4 oz. Salmon, pink, raw
1 tsp. Honey
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. Balsamic vinegar
1 Clove of garlic

Instructions for Preparation

Coat both sides of fish in mixture and marinate
for at least 2 hours. You can make this dish in
the morning and put in the refrigerator to
marinate until dinner. Grill or broil until
salmon is flaky, but not dry, about 3 minutes per
side.

Servings 1
Calories 157
Fat 3.9g
Carbs 7.8g
Fiber 0g
Weight Watcher Points 3
;)

EarthyDiva
01-26-2005, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by mgtgcc@Oct 29 2004, 08:55 PM
Here is a great Thai recipe that I use quite often. Enjoy!

1.5 lbs -- salmon fillet
1 can -- unsweetened coconut milk
1 tbs -- grated ginger
1 tbs -- brown sugar
2 tbs -- fish sauce
2 tbs -- red or mild curry paste
1/2 -- lime, no seeds
1/4 cup -- basil
2 tbs -- cilantro
3 cups -- steamed jasmine rice

Makes about 4 servings

1. Remove the skin from the fillets and cut fish into medium cubes
2. Put the coconut milk into a saute pan/wok and add ginger, sugar, fish sauce, curry paste, and lime juice
3. Use a whisk/fork to blend until smooth
4. Bring the coconut milk to a boil and add fish
5. Cook, turning fish gently to cook all sides as it cooks, for 5-7 minutes -- DON'T OVERCOOK
6. Sprinkle curry with chopped basil and cilantro
7. Serve over jasmine rice

So mgtgcc you said you were making this for the next Chicago Napp event? Sounds delectable.

ED

mgtgcc
01-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by EarthyDiva@Jan 26 2005, 12:10 AM
So mgtgcc you said you were making this for the next Chicago Napp event? Sounds delectable.

ED

It really is pretty good............hehehehe

As hectic as my life is now, I don't know when I'll be cookin' again............ :dunno:

Lately, I've been doing a lot of ordering via Whole Foods Market and Outtakes.

6ftMhgnyCrvs
02-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I've made this a few times and love it. Instead of a sandwich I'll have the salmon with a salad or steamed vegetables.

Cajun Salmon Sandwich Recipe (http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/nutrition/recipes/sand_and_lunch/blackened_salmon/)

jenoy
07-11-2006, 11:25 AM
I am a new lover of salmon. I grilled some the other day with lemon pepper. I don't know how long I can go without it. Now, I it can be bought already marinated and sliced, all I have to do is grill it! Now with the recipes on here, oh my. :D