PDA

View Full Version : Speaking In Tongues.

Billyne
06-09-2003, 09:30 PM
have you ever been in the presence of someone that was speaking in tongues and someone was there to interpret it? i was just reading the post about the holy ghost and realized that the times that i have been at church there are folks that are speaking tongues--but no one to tell what they are saying. I asked someone about this and they said that the person was having a personal conversation w/ god. but when i was reading that post it reminded me that the bible said that there is supposed to be someone there to know what they are saying

~B

strawwberryz
06-09-2003, 11:43 PM
At my home church it happened once. A lady was praying sort of loudly in tongues after we had quitened down after worship.....then a man stood up and just started speaking to the congregation and ended with,"Thus sayeth the Lord" It was amazing to say the least.

The bible does mention that the gift of tongues is benefecial to the Body of Christ when there is a translator.
Sometimes it is a personal conversation btwn the speaker and God and sometimes there is a message for his people through the speaker.

nappturallymeRG
06-10-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Billyne@Jun 9 2003, 05:30 PM
have you ever been in the presence of someone that was speaking in tongues and someone was there to interpret it? i was just reading the post about the holy ghost and realized that the times that i have been at church there are folks that are speaking tongues--but no one to tell what they are saying. I asked someone about this and they said that the person was having a personal conversation w/ god. but when i was reading that post it reminded me that the bible said that there is supposed to be someone there to know what they are saying

~B
Always wondered that myself.... :huh: :huh:

camieo1
06-10-2003, 02:21 AM
My understanding of speaking in tongues comes from 1 Corinthians 14:1-33.

The Word strongly encourages us to build-up the church in everything we do.
When one speaks in tongues, one is speaking to God; for nobody understands them, since they are speaking mysteries in the Spirit (1 Corinthians 14:2). On the other hand, those who prophesy speak to other people for their up-building, encouragement and consolation. The word encourages those who speaks in a tongue to pray for the power of interpretation because it is the interpretation that’s building up the church.

Along that line, 1 Corinthians 14:27-28 states “ If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn; and let one interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let them be silent in church and speak to themselves and to God.”

With all that being said, I agree that if the conversation is between you and God (and you have the gift of tongues), it’s appropriate to speak in tongue. However, if we are together in worship, there should be an interpreter.

Peace :pumpheart:

Kalico
06-10-2003, 02:42 PM
The one time I heard it done, I felt that the woman was not speaking a language at all. How do I know? Because she made like three guttural sounds over and over again. But from those sounds the minister came up with a 10-15 minute mini-sermon .... So does the Bible literally mean speaking in tongues/languages, or does it simply mean a communication from God that is an unlanguage, i.e., not sent in language as we know it??

mochacaremel
06-12-2003, 01:34 PM
I do not understand the speaking in tongues topic. I think the only way I would declare that I spoke in tongues is if I felt somehow overtaken by the Holy Spirit and were speaking as if not by my own power.

Once I was in a church (forget what religion) it is a friends' church. I wanted to get Baptized there and I did; however, after the Baptism I was led to a room with the other new Baptism-ees and we were encouraged to get on our knees, pray and speak in tongues.

This freaked me out, but I prayed that the Lord would lead me through it. I was instructed to repeat "Hallelujah" over and over again. I was slobbering and stuff and not making any sense...I felt like...I dunno, I was just ready to leave...

Since then I have found the Catholic Church to ring truest with me. They don't encourage "catching the Holy Ghost", passing out, screamin', speaking in tongues, etc. Those are things that just don't happen to me and that I have a hard time believing happen to people every Sunday...if so, I can respect that, it just has never happened to me.

Mocha

starchild
06-12-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by mochacaremel@Jun 12 2003, 01:34 PM
I do not understand the speaking in tongues topic. I think the only way I would declare that I spoke in tongues is if I felt somehow overtaken by the Holy Spirit and were speaking as if not by my own power.

Once I was in a church (forget what religion) it is a friends' church. I wanted to get Baptized there and I did; however, after the Baptism I was led to a room with the other new Baptism-ees and we were encouraged to get on our knees, pray and speak in tongues.

This freaked me out, but I prayed that the Lord would lead me through it. I was instructed to repeat "Hallelujah" over and over again. I was slobbering and stuff and not making any sense...I felt like...I dunno, I was just ready to leave...

Since then I have found the Catholic Church to ring truest with me. They don't encourage "catching the Holy Ghost", passing out, screamin', speaking in tongues, etc. Those are things that just don't happen to me and that I have a hard time believing happen to people every Sunday...if so, I can respect that, it just has never happened to me.

Mocha
oh, mocha, tongues should never be taught, it cannot be, it a manifestation of the lord. I have heard people speak tongues but they was doing it in private.

I cannot go to a dead church, cause christ is alive. If someone gave you 10 million dollars, you would be joyful, truely joyful, filled with tears and exicitement, but God heal you from your sickness, change you , clean you up, sanctify you, them it is a quite, hummm or a slient "thank you" now, that does not sound right to me.

Make a joyful noise unto the lord!

* you is used in general, not personally*

mochacaremel
06-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by starchild@Jun 12 2003, 09:10 AM
I cannot go to a dead church, cause christ is alive. If someone gave you 10 million dollars, you would be joyful, truely joyful, filled with tears and exicitement, but God heal you from your sickness, change you , clean you up, sanctify you, them it is a quite, hummm or a slient "thank you" now, that does not sound right to me.

Make a joyful noise unto the lord!

* you is used in general, not personally*
<span style='color:blue'>I&#39;m feeling everything you said, except this quote. I think you would need to be speaking/thinking of a specific person/situation to say something like that. Otherwise all it is is a generalization.

Now, even in the more subdued Catholic church we praise the Lord in song which sound very much like "joyful noises"...to each his own though...

I do know that me personally (and I know you weren&#39;t addressing me personally in your post) I would not be shouting with joy at having 10 million dollars...money is the root of all evil and I would fear for the corruption of my soul if I were given that much money. So, I do know not all would shout for joy over money....

I also know that when the Lord touches your soul there is nothing that will hold back the floodgates of joy within you...you will have to outwardly express it somehow...whatever method suits that person...perhaps a tear, perhaps a smile, perhaps passing out, to each his own.

Mocha

CallaV
06-12-2003, 03:33 PM
I think speaking in tongues is a beautiful thing my mom can do it and so can my SO I can’t.

I was in a service once where someone spoke in tongues followed by another person. A third person stood and said that the first person was not telling the truth. I’ve also seen people speak in tongues followed by a person refuting what was said. That I didn’t understand.

starchild
06-12-2003, 06:38 PM
well, mocha, how else would i say it? my grammatical skills are not so great, should i have skipped a space then went on or what? i don;t get it that is the very reason why i put a disclaimer cause i know that either you, personally you, would take it the wrong way or somebody else. well, off to lurking again.

mochacaremel
06-13-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by starchild@Jun 12 2003, 01:38 PM
well, mocha, how else would i say it? my grammatical skills are not so great, should i have skipped a space then went on or what? i don;t get it that is the very reason why i put a disclaimer cause i know that either you, personally you, would take it the wrong way or somebody else. well, off to lurking again.
<span style='color:blue'>@ Star, it is not about your grammatical skills at all. If you were trying to say that you think people who don&#39;t make "joyful noises" for the Lord are hypocrites because you know they would be making joyful noises if they won 10 million dollars then I am disagreeing because that is not true for all...thus it is merely a generalization (unless you are speaking of someone specifically). That is all. Just a disagreement, not a big deal.

I also disagree with the idea that a quieter more subdued church (like mine) is not praising the Lord like other churches because we don&#39;t get loud, or pass out, or &#39;catch the Holy Ghost&#39; (not that I am saying you said that)

Mocha

blacklightfreakout
06-13-2003, 03:54 PM
actually i saw this on tv on 20/20 years ago with john stossel. technically, speaking in tongues is suppose to be a REAL language according to christian scholars. one can&#39;t be saying just old anything like "blah blah bogidy da ta yonk oink hoooozy whop whop." stuff like that.

they--some of the ministers---claim that only certain sounds are made when talking in tongues as if the talking in tongues "language" has its own alphabet/phonetic sound system related to some ancient language that are supposedly be or once was spoken by other supernatural beings. i forget if they mean angels or the holy ghost or what. but alot of ministers don&#39;t recognize many people talking in tongues they feel that like the holy ghost, not just anybody is deemed by god to do so.

depends what church you are from and if you come from a black church or not coz again like the holy ghost issue, no one speaks in tongues in european churches nor middle-eastern churches.

speaking in tongues could be another aspect of african religion that has influenced american christianity.

yeah, my family was baptist in the beginning and my grandfather couldn&#39;t stand that loud talking in tongues and catching the holy ghost business and he noticed that my mom and unlces as little children were frightened by the site of people...as he call it...acting up. so he became catholic and made my mom and uncles to to catholic church. my grandma left the baptist church to become methodist.

baptist churches are a little to loud and "out there" for my liking, i went to catholic school and catholic mass can put one to sleep, but it seems like the methodist church is a nice medium. it ain&#39;t too loud but it ain&#39;t dull either.

i think it is one thing praising god joyously and it is another thing shouting your head off and doing the jitterbug dance. i really doubt that these people are sincere in their prayer. i know lots of people who go to church the same way as they would a dance club.

i had a few freinds growing up telling me that thy don&#39;t attend any church unless that church had a jamming gospel choir. :rolleyes: i mean, are you in church to praise god or are you in church to go to a free music concert?

i think most folks these days got to church just for the entertainment so they can shake their *ss to the "lord".

:nohuh:

blacklightfreakout
06-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by mochacaremel+Jun 13 2003, 10:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mochacaremel @ Jun 13 2003, 10:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--starchild@Jun 12 2003, 01:38 PM
<span style='color:blue'>@ Star, it is not about your grammatical skills at all. If you were trying to say that you think people who don&#39;t make "joyful noises" for the Lord are hypocrites because you know they would be making joyful noises if they won 10 million dollars then I am disagreeing because that is not true for all...thus it is merely a generalization (unless you are speaking of someone specifically). That is all. Just a disagreement, not a big deal.

I also disagree with the idea that a quieter more subdued church (like mine) is not praising the Lord like other churches because we don&#39;t get loud, or pass out, or &#39;catch the Holy Ghost&#39; (not that I am saying you said that)

Mocha [/b][/quote]
you got that right coz solemn prayer or frantic prayer god does not need your praises either way. he probably appreciate it but he don&#39;t NEED it. even the most so called loud and joyous praise that anyone can do in church will not be enough to praise god&#39;s greatness. nothing will never be enough to praise god&#39;s power.

you could sacrifice you own child onto an altar and the blood shed will still NEVER be enough to praise god.

so why even bother believing that your praise is more dandy than someone else. god would appreciate the effort of anyone who praises him sincerely, however, god being god and great, i really doubts that he is amused by loud versus solemn prayer and vice versa.

however, prayer is just a self-expression on what YOU ---not god--- believes that he would appreciate. since prayer is really for YOUR benefit and yours only and never god&#39;s.

god will still believe that he is glorius and great regardless if your praise him [softly/loudly] or refuse to praise him at all.

jacura
06-13-2003, 04:38 PM
There are many aspects and advantages to prayer...that goes beyond it being soley for our personal benefit. One can say that God does not need prayer, however I think it is very important not to forget that it is a faucet of Him that is in place for a reason. God often sought the prayers of the righteous as intercessory for a group of people, town etc. Prayer goes beyond self...and has way more benefits than asking for personal wants and desires.

I agree camio1 with your entire post...some people seem to think that speaking in tongues is only for interpretation purposes...but as you have so clearly pointed out in your post, the gift of tongues can and does go beyond that one aspect.

Joyfulocs
06-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by mochacaremel@Jun 12 2003, 10:03 AM
I do know that me personally (and I know you weren&#39;t addressing me personally in your post) I would not be shouting with joy at having 10 million dollars...money is the root of all evil and I would fear for the corruption of my soul if I were given that much money. So, I do know not all would shout for joy over money....
It is the love of money that is the root of all evil. having it is not a bad thing, but loving it, making it our number one priority, devoting all our time and energy to having it, is the problem. i understand you perfectly and don&#39;t want to step on any toes, but i wanted to clear that up.

personally, i&#39;d be shouting for joy at having 10 million dollars and i&#39;m sure the trustee ministry at my church would also. :) :D

re: speaking in tongues, we don&#39;t do it in my church, but i have been in and seen churches on tv where it was encouraged. i never understood how, in those cases, it edified the body of believers because it seemed to me that there was no direction to it, if that makes any sense. and i never ever hear anybody refer to the day of pentecost when they were speaking in each other&#39;s language and were able to understand one another. that doesn&#39;t seem to enter into any conversations regarding speaking in tongues.

i do agree with mochacaramel about making a joyful noise. i don&#39;t think joy has a thing to do with excitement. there is something to be said about quiet praise. a person who sits in church and simply lets the tears roll down their cheek is no less worshipful or engaged in praise than the person who shouts or runs up and down the aisle.

Inspired
06-13-2003, 06:44 PM
I came from a christian pentecostal church and my grandmother was a tongue talker. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Talk about a personal relationship with god. She would pray for hours at a time everyday. Then she would make me stay by her side throughout half the session. :(

Anyhoo, when she prayed and spoke in tongues she did it alone. I guess only her and God knew what they were talking about!!

Whenever we were church and she spoke in tongues, it was a message and there was a translator or she would translate for someone.

Usually in our church when someone S.I.T, they entire church remained quiet until that person was finished. The understanding was that when a person spoke in tongues there&#39;s a message for the church, if there&#39;s no message, then they don&#39;t speak. It made sense to me. <_<

jacura
06-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by CallaV@Jun 12 2003, 03:33 PM
I think speaking in tongues is a beautiful thing my mom can do it and so can my SO I can’t.

I was in a service once where someone spoke in tongues followed by another person. A third person stood and said that the first person was not telling the truth. I’ve also seen people speak in tongues followed by a person refuting what was said. That I didn’t understand.
CallaV...just asking...how did this turn out? And what did the Pastor say?

CallaV
06-15-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by jacura+Jun 13 2003, 05:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jacura @ Jun 13 2003, 05:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--CallaV@Jun 12 2003, 03:33 PM
I think speaking in tongues is a beautiful thing my mom can do it and so can my SO I can’t.*

I was in a service once where someone spoke in tongues followed by another person. A third person stood and said that the first person was not telling the truth.* I’ve also seen people speak in tongues followed by a person refuting what was said.* That I didn’t understand.
CallaV...just asking...how did this turn out? And what did the Pastor say? [/b][/quote]
Nothing really. He just said that emotions can run high and that not everything is of/from God and said a prayer. In that first instance the person was removed from the sanctuary. I can’t remember what happened to the person in the second.

jacura
06-16-2003, 01:32 AM
@ CallaV...cool and thanks :)

morenita
06-24-2003, 02:28 PM
The way I understand it is that yes, you should not speak in tounge if there isn&#39;t anyone to translate it, because to everyone else, you are just making sounds.

Also, when the bible refers to someone speaking in tounges, often it is just another language, like when my mom goes to a store, I often have to translate for her because she only speaks spanish. To everyone listening that doesn&#39;t know the language, she sounds funny.

I think that a few religions put too much emphasis on speaking in tounge and not on their spirit. When the Lord blesses someone with this gift, this usually means that they adapt to other languages and their interperatations easily. Like somepeople have the gift of playing a certain instrument.

A lot of people also believe that speaking in tounges mean that you are closer to God than others, but if that were the case, a lot more people would have this gift.

Just my thoughts.

blacque_girl
06-24-2003, 06:53 PM
I don&#39;t know a lot about it, but my Pastor told me that God wants me to pursue the gift of tongues. He gave me a scripture to add to my daily devotion time. He said when it happens, my natural mind will not understand but don&#39;t resist bcuz it will be when my spirit is conversing with God. HTH

Kdeuce001
06-25-2003, 08:05 PM
I don&#39;t know a lot about it, but my Pastor told me that God wants me to pursue the gift of tongues. He gave me a scripture to add to my daily devotion time. He said when it happens, my natural mind will not understand but don&#39;t resist bcuz it will be when my spirit is conversing with God. HTH

I just saw T.D. Jakes speaking on this subject. He also said that no one can understand when you&#39;re speaking in tongue b/c it&#39;s a totally different language. He said the person speaking doesn&#39;t even understand what he/she is saying. I was raised in the church, and i never personally saw anybody translating tongue...it&#39;s b/w that person and GOD. I don&#39;t really understand why you would want someone to translate that anyway?.

JusMY2

Kdeuce

blacque_girl
06-25-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Kdeuce001@Jun 25 2003, 03:05 PM

I don&#39;t know a lot about it, but my Pastor told me that God wants me to pursue the gift of tongues. He gave me a scripture to add to my daily devotion time. He said when it happens, my natural mind will not understand but don&#39;t resist bcuz it will be when my spirit is conversing with God. * HTH

I just saw T.D. Jakes speaking on this subject. He also said that no one can understand when you&#39;re speaking in tongue b/c it&#39;s a totally different language. He said the person speaking doesn&#39;t even understand what he/she is saying. I was raised in the church, and i never personally saw anybody translating tongue...it&#39;s b/w that person and GOD. I don&#39;t really understand why you would want someone to translate that anyway?.

JusMY2

Kdeuce
Yeah, i never heard of anyone translating either, but who knows? At my church there are a couple of people who speak in tongues and no one has ever attempted to translate. Actually if you&#39;re not standing right by them, you probably wouldn&#39;t even hear them. So i am more inclined to believe (as my Pastor said) that it is something personal between u and God.
Also, it has been my experience that when someone (a true prophet) has a message from God they simply speak (in English) to that person what God has &#39;told&#39; them. However, i never considered how they came about that message. Perhaps it is while they are speaking in tongues that the message comes from God??

New Freedom
06-27-2003, 08:34 PM
This is all very interesting. I have been taught that when people speak in tongues, it was when you are trying to communicate with someone of a different language. When you speak in your own language, then they begin to understand what you are saying in their own language, interpreter or not. For example, an english speaking preacher was once explaining that he went to a spanish speaking country where he did not know the language and was taking to one of the native people. When the man replied to him, he understood what he was saying in Spanish and they other man understood what the preacher was saying in English. And so on... If I went somewhere where people were making sounds and stuff out of nowhere, I think would be freaked too.

LaKinkyFemme
06-29-2003, 12:54 AM
Some churches use speaking in tongues as a way to categorize people&#39;s spirituality.

I used to attend a well-known church and was in the Choir. At that time, Nicky Cruz, an ex Ganster featured in the book "Down these Mean Streets" used to visit our church.

So after speaking, Nicky Cruz made an altar call and asked everyone in the choir (we were supposed to be spiritual leaders, almost) to come down and pray for the folks who were giving their lives to Christ. I was fine with that and I went down and started praying.

Then, to my dismay, Nicky Cruz said, "All those of you who have the gift of tongues use it"! You heard a large rumble of choir folks speaking in tongues. All I could do was pray in English, but I felt totally isolated and totally unspiritual.

lakinkyfemme

delightfulflame
06-29-2003, 05:31 PM
I understand speaking in tongues for both a personal conversation with God (no interpreter) and prophesying to people (with an interpreter).

As far as catagorizing a person&#39;s spirtuality...I don&#39;t agree with this, but I do agree that it is done in churches far too often. I don&#39;t think that people can just stop and speak in tongues at the drop of a dime. It&#39;s very peculiar to me that someone can tell you to speak in tongues, and you can. If it&#39;s a gift from God, then wouldn&#39;t he be the only one to know the exact time and place it was going to occur? It would seem that you would have no control over it to be able to speak in tongues on the spot b/c someone told you to.

blacque_girl
06-30-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by delightfulflame@Jun 29 2003, 12:31 PM
I understand speaking in tongues for both a personal conversation with God (no interpreter) and prophesying to people (with an interpreter).

I agree with this. And actually after going back and reading the entire 14th Chapter of 1Corinthians, this is more clear.

As far as catagorizing a person&#39;s spirtuality...I don&#39;t agree with this, but I do agree that it is done in churches far too often. I don&#39;t think that people can just stop and speak in tongues at the drop of a dime. It&#39;s very peculiar to me that someone can tell you to speak in tongues, and you can. If it&#39;s a gift from God, then wouldn&#39;t he be the only one to know the exact time and place it was going to occur? It would seem that you would have no control over it to be able to speak in tongues on the spot b/c someone told you to.
ITA. I have never witnessed someone demanding someone to speak in tongues. That would definitely send up a red flag --especially if the person got right up and did it!

SoulStar
06-30-2003, 04:50 AM
Greetings,

The concept of speaking in tongues is very unique. You have to really know the Bible to really explain. I think speaking in tongues is a prayer language to God. Also, I was always told that you need an interpreter on ones behalf when speaking in tongues. It is to make sure there is no confusion or strife. Because God is not the author of confusion. And witnessing someone speaking in tongues with no interpreter is very confusing, depending on the dialect (type of speaking) it can be crazy. One time I witnessed this guy speak in something that sounded like Latin. I was in awe.

Peace and Blessings,
SoulStar