PDA

View Full Version : Warning Don't Do It...

DreamyNaps
11-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Its a possibility this thread may get deleted but oh well I just wanna share my experience....

My cousin persuade me to go with her to DC to get the Dominican's to do my hair. She told me that they "specialized" in doing thick kinky hair and that everyone that came to them had luscious flowing hair. My cousin who has a perm had very damaged hair--you know the thick up top stringy ends do :-? (yuck). But since she has been going to the Dominican's her hair has improved a big big big deal.

My only reason for going was to get my ends clipped--which haven't been cut in over a year. I was also curious to see what the hype was about. What could these people be doing that makes them soooo special???
Well to answer your question--Not a darn thing but excessive heat!!

I was sooo nervous and the shop was like an assembly line. My cousin is a regular and she gets the owner to do her hair. When she brought me in they all looked at me and started talking in Spanish. More nerves started to kick in! I assumed that I was gonna be wet set just like everybody else and receive the "Doobie"--nope the stylist sat me in a chair and proceeded to blow dry my hair. The amount of heat that came out that dryer should be against the law! The shop had actually gotten smokey from all of their dryers going. After she was done I didn't even need my hair pressed--thats how straight it was. Oh and I forgot to mention that my cousin said that it was only gonna be $35 dollars. Well I was lied too...they charge you an extra $10 for being natural.
I will never go back to them again---my cuorisity has been cured. So to those of you who are wondering-Don't do it! My hair only lasted a day anyway...it was a poof ball by the next day. And in the 3 days that it lasted I was missing my naps so bad I just had to wash my hair. After I washed I did notice some of my ends remained straight.

I came to the conclusion that straight hair isn't for me...

clover
11-01-2004, 02:55 PM
You are surely not the only one. My 8 year old daughter wanted to wear her hair straight for picture day last month. Since she knows I'm dead set against putting chemicals in her hair we decided to take her to a local Dominican shop. This was to be my daughter's second time going to one of these salons so she knew what she was up against. I asked my mom to take her since I was still at work. Long story short, my dd said she will no longer be going back to that salon ever again.

Her hair is super curly, to her shoulders when dry but past her elbows when wet. Without going into all the gory details I will say this much; my dd couldn't take the heat. It was so hot on her scalp that she started crying. The woman didn't have time to roller set her hair so it was blow-dried and wrapped up with the pins. My daughter was happy to have straight hair for a couple of days (they did a really good job with the blow-out). Her hair reverted completely after the wash but now she's scared straight (pun intended) of very hot hair dryers.

KnappilyMe
11-01-2004, 02:56 PM
:blab keep ya head up sis. :rainfro

MizBrowniMD
11-01-2004, 03:08 PM
I was wondering what the hype was about the Dominican blowout...now, I don't wanna find out for myself!

AllieCat0817
11-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Girl I so would not have been able to let them finish burning my precious hair. I do not understand people who say they are going natural, growing their hair out, then proceed to REGULARLY straighten it with a blow dryer or curling iron. I plan to never do it. If I want a different look I"ll roll it and let it dry by itself.

The days of crispy burnt smellin singed hair is OVA! Disgusting.

prettynappy
11-02-2004, 01:31 AM
I guess people on every continent are obsessed with having straight hair.

honeychild
11-02-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by clover@Nov 1 2004, 10:55 AM
Her hair reverted completely after the wash but now she's scared straight (pun intended) of very hot hair dryers.
oh, poor baby! but i was giggling at yr pun 8) :heart

sorry abt yr bad experience, dreamynaps. but you know what they say... curiosity killed the naps!

:duck

naijamodel
11-02-2004, 02:48 AM
dreamy,
hey! thanks so much for posting this, i confess i was curious about the dominican blow out. i am cured. thanks.

DreamyNaps
11-02-2004, 01:41 PM
@clover,
Yes I feel your daughter's pain....I had to wrap a towel around my neck the dryer was sooooo hot---I literally jumped out the chair at one point...LOL.

prettykinks
11-04-2004, 01:17 PM
I was curious about it also but i never got the nerve to go in.

Dolliesdaughter
11-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by honeychild@Nov 1 2004, 09:22 PM
sorry abt yr bad experience, dreamynaps. but you know what they say... curiosity killed the naps!

:duck
Honeychild, you are a mess. :lol

inkysphinx
11-04-2004, 02:45 PM
For me blow dryers with attachments are a NO-NO! Unless I'm getting a trim, of course. I think there are better ways to get temporarily straight (though I haven't tried them). Why couldn't they just set your hair on large rollers, and then lightly flat iron after that? Seems like it would be much less pulling,tugging and overall stress to the hair.

brnize4u
11-05-2004, 01:24 PM
@inkysphinx,

Where I live the dominicans shops do not have flat irons. The only tools they use are blow dryers. I know when I was going to the dominicans in 2002 I was just getting a roller set and wrap. I saw the amount of heat that was coming out of the blow dryers and I was scared for those women. The heat is too excessive. No way man :nohuh

brnize4u

inkysphinx
11-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by brnize4u@Nov 5 2004, 08:24 AM
@inkysphinx,

Where I live the dominicans shops do not have flat irons. The only tools they use are blow dryers. I know when I was going to the dominicans in 2002 I was just getting a roller set and wrap. I saw the amount of heat that was coming out of the blow dryers and I was scared for those women. The heat is too excessive. No way man :nohuh

brnize4u
Oh, okay. I didn't know. Dang, can a blow dryer do all that? I know after blowdrying my hair for a trim, my hair feels like straw, and it's not even straight. So I can imagine :shock

ewffan
11-06-2004, 04:24 AM
:rainfro I have never been to a Dominican salon, but I hear about how they "do hair really good". My next door neighbor's sister has bald edges (not thinning hair, she is bald at the temples) and she goes to the Dominicans to get her hair done. And she asks why is her hair thinning. She told me one time that they use cinammon oil on her temples to help her hair grow (not blended with a carrier oil) and I think that's why she has no hair there. I think that they (Dominicans) feel that our hair is like their hair, which is why they "chop" it instead of cut it, why they blow it out straight on super high and hot blow dryers.

I do not miss the salons at all!! :bis

najayra
11-06-2004, 03:42 PM
I went to a Dominican hair salon in Atlanta once when I was transitioning...They wanted to charge me 10 bucks extra too because they said that my hair looked natural....Anyways, an older woman, in an effort to make my hair as straight as possible, as if she was competing with the other salon stylists to see who can, using the blow-dryer, make their clients hair bounce and straigten the most, spend over 20 minutes or more attacking my hair with heat..:-? ...Though I did like the results, it puffed back three days later....

Thanks for your warning, though, because I am now 6 months napptural w/o using any heat at all and was thinking of going back to them during Christmas time....I see now that I'm not...

MsNaNa
11-06-2004, 03:50 PM
I guess we have all heard or been thourgh it. My cousin came down from Jersey (I'm in FL) and said she needed to do her hair after her first day. But she said that she had to go to Dominicans. Well there just happens to be a shop across the street form my house. So I took her and when she came home she was happy. Her hair was indeed straight. And honestly it looked good. But then two days later she had to go back and do it again. I was liek isn't that a waste. She was like no cuz it keeps my hair nice. I was like yeah but it keeps your pocket empty. Now I know that it's hot down hair and all but I wouldn't say that you got to do your hair every two days. At the time I was still permed and when my stylist did my hair it stayed like that for a hot minute. So why the need to do it every two days?

AllieCat0817
11-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by MsNaNa@Nov 6 2004, 11:50 AM
I She was like no cuz it keeps my hair nice. I was like yeah but it keeps your pocket empty.
Not only would it keep her pocket empty, it would keep her hair SINGED to a nice CRISP.

jmnappy
11-06-2004, 03:55 PM
These Dominican shops sound just like the salons in my neighborhood. They use the same devices, and you get the same results. Too much heat, too many chemicals, and not much hair if you continue to patron these places.

afrogeek
11-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by jmnappy@Nov 6 2004, 05:55 PM
Too much heat, too many chemicals, and not much hair if you continue to patron these places.
Now see, that's just what I was thinkin' :-? When I get tempted to go for a straight look (as I occaisionally do) :doh , I just go find an 'I burn't my hair to a crisp' thread on this site and it cures my temporary insanity! :duck :lol

@Dreamynaps,
I am so sorry you had such a terrible experience, and I'm glad you posted it so others who might be thinking about doing the same thing will stop and think.

pearce1974
02-03-2006, 03:47 PM
@Dreamynaps,
I am so sorry you had such a terrible experience, and I'm glad you posted it so others who might be thinking about doing the same thing will stop and think.
[/b]

Bumping. thanks for the invaluable search engine. After almost 2.5 years nappy and not using heat for the duration, I don't think this is the way I wanna go out. I am still wondering what to do about a trim, etc...but I guess I am back to the drawing board. [shudders at thought]

'Just another "don't do it" pro-non-heat thread I needed :) hopefully others, too

Majestic
02-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Bumping. thanks for the invaluable search engine. After almost 2.5 years nappy and not using heat for the duration, I don't think this is the way I wanna go out. I am still wondering what to do about a trim, etc...but I guess I am back to the drawing board. [shudders at thought]

'Just another "don't do it" pro-non-heat thread I needed :) hopefully others, too
[/b]

Many of my girlfriends have their hair styled at Dominican shops. Even while p.ermed I refused to go-- once I found out they disassemble the dryers to take out the temperature control to get the appliance as hot as possible, they weren't coming anywhere near my head, naps or not! :rolleyes:

hello kitty
02-03-2006, 04:03 PM
These Dominican shops sound just like the salons in my neighborhood. They use the same devices, and you get the same results. Too much heat, too many chemicals, and not much hair if you continue to patron these places.
[/b]

i hear that!!

as a permie, i was a regular @ the dominican salons...after two months of transitioning, my hairdresser was trying hard to convice me to get a p.erm. that's what they do...and they love to blowdry the crap out of hair.

now that i'm natural, i would be afraid to go inside a dominican salon. i tend to walk on the opposite side of the street when i pass my old salon....my hairdresser may try to drag me inside and do a number on my beautiful naps!!!

pearce1974
02-03-2006, 04:09 PM
once I found out they disassemble the dryers to take out the temperature control to get the appliance as hot as possible[/b]

YIKES!!!!!! :unsure: You just answered the burning the hair straight question I had while reading this thread, which was, "How in the world could the temps be so hot as to 'burn' ...what about temp control?"

That is absolutely horrible...I guess my hair will have the marinate longer in the soup of non-trimming until I decide what to do about the snip/snip... Me doing it is out of the question, I am too extreme...it is bad enough to use condish in excess, but I cannot trim my hair in excess or I know I will be bald, and NOT in a flattering, sexy, big-chop way...