PDA

View Full Version : making conditioner/ingredients question

honeychild
01-29-2003, 05:53 PM
i like Nature's Gate original rainwater herbal conditioner... the formula is very light & rinses very clean... not rich enough for me to condition with or use as leave in but i find it's really effetive as a no-poo cleansing conditioner.

anyway, i just read the ingredients of my bottle & realized not only is it very simple, but i have most of the ingredients

*water
*herbal extracts (they listed chamomile, nettles, comfrey, cherry bark, burdock, yucca, and some others i didn't recognize)
*vegetable emulsifying wax (available at from nature w/love)
*coconut oil
*methylparaben
*oils of myrrh and lavender.

my question is this: what is methylparaben and what purpose does it serve in conditioners? since that's the only thing i don't have i have to wonder. i do an herbal infusion tea that i love, and could totally emulsify that w/some coconut oil & essential oils and see what happens... but i wonder if i'd be missing some vital conditioning element.

Nubiyan
01-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Methylparaben is a perservative. Here's a link to some more info and an online site where you can by it.

http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/preservatives.html

HTH :)

honeychild
01-29-2003, 06:08 PM
oh that COMPLETELY helps! so perhaps i can use grapefruit seed extract or vitamin E instead. WOW how exciting! when my order comes in i'll try working on a recipe & post.

THANKS Nubiyan :rainbowafro: