PDA

View Full Version : Heat

lbellin
11-05-2004, 01:12 PM
I am thinking about getting a spiral set today. Are we against going under the hair dryer? I know about the blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons, etc., was not sure about the sit under dryer.

Also, does anyone have any ideas about mousse on natural hair?

Thanks.

Dolliesdaughter
11-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Using heat is a personal choice, I believe at this site the postings regarding heat have been made so everyone is aware of what heat CAN do to your hair especially direct heat ie blow dryers, curling irons and such. So if you chose to use heat this site has prepared your for what could happen, so don't act surpised if things do not work out the way you though that it would. Direct heat is not advocated at this site but again it is your personal choice to use heat or not. Hood dryers are the lesser of the evils, but I don't think you can get a proper sprial set with out one unless you are willing to walk around for days with sprial rods in your hair.

So far as mouse check the label for alcohol. According to how thick your hair is it may or may not work.

tran68
11-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Only you can decide what's best for your hair, you'll have equal amounts of folk who think heat is the debil as well as those who have no prob with heat.

khalualai
11-06-2004, 03:11 AM
Girl, go 'head and spiral your hair!

I did it once when I had a fro. The salonist didn't blow my hair out before doing it. She just washed, sprayed some water concotion on it, parted it, placed the rods in, then I sat under the dryer.

You don't have to go under the dryer.... you can set it and let it air dry, if you don't want that intense heat on your hair.

Enjoy.

napturallyme
11-06-2004, 03:59 AM
Make the choice for yourself, don't let anyone or this site dictate to you how to style your natural hair. This site has information on the potential risk of using heat. Just be informed. I think a spiral set using a hair dryer is a safer method of heat styling. I'm planning to try a roller set myself soon when I ever I can find the time to sit under the hair dryer, lol. I don't have any suggestions on mousse.

Good luck! :)

femmefatales
11-06-2004, 05:36 AM
Make the choice for yourself, don't let anyone or this site dictate to you how to style your natural hair. ..... Just be informed.

:app

Word up! some of the best advice ever given.

sonshinescoils
11-06-2004, 06:57 AM
who's we? i know i sit under a dryer. a hooded dryer dispenses heat differently/more uniformly than other heat. but i would't recommend it being too hot.

Melanizm
11-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by sonshinescoils@Nov 6 2004, 06:57 AM
who's we?
:app :-P

lbellin
11-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Well, I went to the hairstylist yesterday, now mind you I do not have one of my own now that I went natural. I went to my friend's hairstylist in Brooklyn and I live in PA. I asked her if she knew how to do natural hair and she said yes. Any way I get there and tell her AGAIN what I want which is spirals in the back with flat twists in the front. The first thing that come out of her mouth is that I need a perm if I want the spirals in the back. Well I gave her a big fat no on that front. Then she said that she would still be able to do the flat twists for me. So I say okay. She then starts to break out the blow dryer. Now I ask her what is she going to do with that. She tells me she needs to blow it out and then flat iron it before she can do it. Well ladies, my hair did not get done by her. :thumbsup

napturallyme
11-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by lbellin@Nov 6 2004, 04:07 PM
Well, I went to the hairstylist yesterday, now mind you I do not have one of my own now that I went natural. I went to my friend's hairstylist in Brooklyn and I live in PA. I asked her if she knew how to do natural hair and she said yes. Any way I get there and tell her AGAIN what I want which is spirals in the back with flat twists in the front. The first thing that come out of her mouth is that I need a perm if I want the spirals in the back. Well I gave her a big fat no on that front. Then she said that she would still be able to do the flat twists for me. So I say okay. She then starts to break out the blow dryer. Now I ask her what is she going to do with that. She tells me she needs to blow it out and then flat iron it before she can do it. Well ladies, my hair did not get done by her. :thumbsup
I'm glad you didn't let her do your hair. All she had to do was get some perm rods and rod the back of your hair or she could have done a straw set on the back, the only heat she needed to use was a hooded dryer. I would have left when she pulled the blow dryer out.

Whitley Gilbert
11-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by lbellin@Nov 6 2004, 11:07 AM
My goodness! That girl just didn't know what she was doing. I'm so glad you didn't let her touch your hair!

naturalnyc
11-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Im glad didnt let her do you hair. I have done nice looking rod sets and spirals on my hair without straightening. All you need is some leave in conditioner and or gel(or any holding product) part and set the hair while damp. Unfortunately some of these so called professional stylists are ignorant when it comes to styling natural hair and believe this notion that out hair can only be worked on only if it is straightened first.

delightfulflame
11-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Yes, do you when it comes to heat. My deep conditioners work better while under a hooded dryer. Me and the blow dryer have not found a way to get a long.

Girl, I would have taken off running out the door too. Next time you may have to do a phone consultation with any stylist that plans to do your hair and find out exactly what they plan to do.

Moderator W
11-08-2004, 02:27 AM
"We" :lol :lol warn against the dangers of heat styling. Direct heat is the biggest culprit of heat damage. Indirect heat from a hood blow dryer is low on the heat damage list. Attempting to speed up drying hair by blowing air on it, and trying to straighten napps with heat are two different things.

pookeylou
11-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by lbellin@Nov 6 2004, 12:07 PM
Wow...that was a determined natural right there. 3 years ago I would have been scared to tell my "abusive" stylist "no"!

Maestradiva77
11-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Bravo for standing up to that hairstylist! :app