PDA

View Full Version : Single Work From Home Mom's

teekydawg
06-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Are there any single mother's who work from home here. That is a goal of mine since I discovered that the superwoman routine I held down for years wasn't doing anything but killing me. Daily grind and great parenting are impossible for me. I just cannot do both of them without one being severely neglected.

I could write alot about this because it's heavy on my mind, but i would appreciate other's experience's or take's on the subject.

Meikie
06-12-2003, 10:19 AM
I'm not a single mother, but I'm a Mom nevertheless and working from home is a big dream of mine. I feel a bit jealous of the relationship between my toddler and her babysitter. They spend all day together, and I feel that should be my place!

As far as working from home is concerned, I'm putting together a business plan, to see if it can be done at all. It won't be easy for me to leave my job as I am relatively highly paid and correspondingly deep in debt! My business has to be really successful in order for me to keep up with the payments.

Since I'm crazy about natural hair, I wanted to start a natural hair care business. I don't have any qualifications, but I get my hands in anybody's hair who'll let me. I do my mothers hair in flat twists, and my daughters and my own in double-strand twists. I also do my fiance's niece's hair in twists. Needless to say, twists are my favourite style. I believe there is an opportunity for my type of business. I am especially targeting young girls in Primary School. I've prepared a questionnaire for market research which I will hand to parents at a couple of schools to get an indication of viability. Having established whether it would work for me, I would then get a loan (more debt!) and get started.

I feel a bit stuck though, because I don't think I'll be able to leave my job just yet. Sometimes I feel like just sticking it out until I retire at age 55 (I'm 41), but that's 14 looong years.... :(