PDA

View Full Version : Washing Our Hair

Simplyloc
11-16-2004, 03:20 PM
“Washing our hair”

A couple of weeks ago I told my husband that I was no longer going to wash my hair every 2-3days but instead every 2 weeks.
He asked why and I told him that most of the girls (nappy or not) seems to be doing the same thing. He then ask why ONLY every two 2 weeks? I replied “I don’t know?” - “perhaps it is because our hair is so fragile and curly?” :huh
He said yes, but guys with big huge afro wash their hair all the time.
They have the same nappy texture and yet their hair is not breaking off because of washing it.
Then he told me this; Why do you take a bath every day? Because you need to clean the skin of it’s impurities.
You might think you are not dirty buy yet you are. Why are you not doing the same thing for your scalp? That is were your brain is!...
He totally disagree with me changing my hair wash routine… :smug
He thinks that it is something that we carried over from the old creamy crack days.
So what do you all think? :cow:
Why do we have to wash our hair every 2 weeks? And do we have to? :pop

edi2463
11-16-2004, 03:34 PM
There is only one rule about washing your hair...Do it when you want to. Babies are more fragile and need to be a bit more protected, but that's about it. I usually wash every 2 weeks, but I have washed more or less frequently, as the spirit moves me.

mrscrowder
11-16-2004, 03:41 PM
That is interesting....When I started locing, I was so adament that I was gonna wash my hair every 2 weeks. Now it has been 3+, maybe even 4 weeks since I washed my hair and my scalp is cool. Ya'll know the tale tale test when you scratch your head if you get all that gunk under your nails it is time to wash. I gotta say that my hair routine has changed so much, I was paranoid at first but now we are chillin'. I do clean my scalp with ORS herbal cleanse, spritz and retwist every 2-3 weeks. I oil my hair and scalp once a week and spray with a spritz every other day or as needed. It much simpler this way and my hair is straight...no itching, flakes or nothing. Since I am going home next week for Thanksgiving I guess I will wash my hair this weekend and retwist but I won't wash again until right before Christmas-- I think maybe once a month to wash will be good for me, especially since its cold now.

I think when one washes their hair is dependant upon their hair and scalp condition. If its itching you crazy , wash it. If it flakes, wash it ! I think I was overdoing it at first, I a much more laid back when it comes to my hair now. This was a good question---wash your hair when you think its time!

LynnLynn
11-16-2004, 03:42 PM
I wash every week.

I'll want to wash more, but I'm going to wait till my locs get more mature, currently they're at 11 weeks.

jaykiss79
11-16-2004, 03:50 PM
I wash my hair twice a week...And that works for me. Do what you think is best for your hair.

ChocolatChaud
11-16-2004, 04:01 PM
I wash every 2 weeks. In the summertime it's probably more like once a week. In between washes, herbal rinses can help freshen things up too. A little spritz is nice also.
Just my 2 cents.

linette411
11-16-2004, 04:05 PM
This was a very interesting post. I do believe woman and men treat their hair a little differently, like you won't see a brotha with a hair ornament like a flower or up in a bun, you know. Anyway, I was thinking. You may start washing every 2-3 days with it being a short length but what about when it grows MUCH LONGER. Depending on your hair growth your hair may grow to your waist. Can you imagine how much work it would be to wash every 2-3 days with that much hair not to mention if you are a type to allow your hair to air dry?

I guess what I’m babbling about is, I believe you may start off doing one thing but as your locs grow in length you will adjust and the washing will be less frequent if it is 2-3 days, unless you plan on clipping and keeping them the same size. This is just my opinion but each person is different. My sister has locs down to her waist. GOOD LAWD! I know how long it takes me to wash and twist. I can’t imagine locs down to my waist and washing every 2-3 days.

Just like everyone else it’s all in the individual. Our hair was made to take 2 weeks or longer washing. We are not European. Great post! :thumbsup

Simplyloc
11-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Wow!!! Thanks everybody, it will help me explain all this to hubby!

Linette, you are right, my hair is really short right now so it is very easy to wash often but like you said waist lenght could be another story... Thank you all! :bis

Afrocentric
11-16-2004, 05:20 PM
i don't really have anything to add i guess..i wash whenever really..once a week mostly, but i rinse my hair w/ water everyday and i've always done it that way....locks or not. i used the braid method to lock so i guess that's where i'm alotted the freedom to do it as often as i like. granted they are rough looking at 4 weeks, but my hair loves water so **shrugging**.

:offtopic
i love the vibes i got from you and your husband's topic...it's cool that he cares about your hair and that ya'll have convos like that...i hope i'll be blessed w/ a husband like that some day. :heart

LOCSOFAST
11-16-2004, 05:43 PM
this is interesting, but you must also remember that we are the only culture that does take a bath everyday... and that bathing does wash off our natural protectants and oils which would normally keep our skin healthy, so we have to put on fake ones, (lotions and cremes and such) to replace them...

Wise1
11-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Most AA's hair tends to be dry b/c oil from our scalp does not move down the hair shaft as quickly b/c of our curl pattern.

ppl with naturally straight or a looser curl pattern tend to wash their hair more b/c it gets greasy in 2 to 3 days. The oil from their scalp moves down the hair shaft much faster.

Washing your hair more often than once a week could strip your hair of it's natural oil and cause it to feel crunchy and dry.

I wash my locs once a week in the summer every two weeks in the winter.

aymst1
11-16-2004, 05:57 PM
I wash every week, if not my scalp starts to itch too much. Now when I had a perm I washed every two weeks, and learned that was unhealthy for me when I went natural. but like the others said, wash when you want you.

sharynleigh
11-16-2004, 06:51 PM
When I was a permie I washed my hair every two - three days. People would tell me that I was drying my hair out and that I would lose it. Nope didn't happen. I didn't use any oils in my hair either and my hair had a nice sheen.

Now that I am locing I initially started out every two weeks because my babies were fragile. I now wash once a week because it is cold and will wash more often in the spring and summer. My hair thrives from watering.

laticca8
11-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Very interesting concept. I wash my hair twice a week right now, simply because I'm doing a dandruff treatment. Otherwise, I wash once a week. My hubby washes his every time he showers. Of course, it's easier to do so when you have a TWA. Your hubby raises an interesting point about the skin on our heads though. My locs are too new to wash any more frequently than I do. Even when they mature, I'll probably only wash once a week.

blaqdredhd
11-17-2004, 01:21 AM
Great post, as I was thinking about this just this past weekend. You all are some true telepathic nappturals. Anyway, my scalp was really itching on Sunday but the weather called for cold temps this week. Hence, I was not very concerned about washing my hair this week, but as I type this right now my hair is drying and it feels so refreshed. Because it is cold, I wash less than normal but sometimes normal for me could be 2x a month or even once a month. If your hair is thirsty, it will tell you in more ways than one. Great thread... :rainfro

flybutter
11-17-2004, 12:12 PM
I wash once a week. Why? If I wait any longer my hair looks scraggly and limp.

My locks get some moisture everyday in the shower, but if I'm not putting some soap and water in it every week, it looks a mess.

Simplyloc
11-17-2004, 01:09 PM
Well, i think i am going to rince daily and try washing once a week... but for whatever reason my hair always starts itching the second day-and the third day is my limit!?? when i do not put oil (at all) i could probably go a little bit longer like 4 or 5 days... Thank you so much for the responses!!

P.S.: Thank you Afrocentric, marriage is alot of good work! :)

thunderstorm
11-17-2004, 01:20 PM
@ simplyloc,

i think your husband made a valid point when he brought up our daily body washing.

i'm imagining how clean i'd feel going 2 whole weeks without bathing or showering, while still slathering body lotions or oils on daily and reapplying deodorant daily over unwashed pits.

when you say that you may cut your washing down to just twice monthly, do you mean that you will only cleanse your scalp and hair with shampoo only, twice a month, while rinsing with water in between? or do you mean that your hair and scalp will not have contact with water at all except for every couple of weeks?

i think that even if a person isn't physically active, she still perspires daily and produces sebum daily, and is exposed to environmental pollutants, lint, dust, pollen, bacteria, etc., that will collect in her hair and on her scalp and stay there until the next wash.

i think that even if one doesn't want to shampoo more than once a week, she should at least rinse with plain water weekly while massaging the scalp and squeezing the hair, to allow some of the dirt to rinse a way.

i think about new locers who are convinced by others not to wash their hair for a month or more to help the locing process, and who endure horrendous itching and odor as a result.

even if you can go two weeks without any itching or noticeable dirt in your hair, the dirt is still there, isn't it?

sorry. i think we were typing our responses at the same time, so i didn't know that you'd reconsidered your routine! :heart

bajanempress
11-17-2004, 06:41 PM
The longest I can go without washing is a week and that's after I retwist. If I haven't retwisted I wash as often as every day but more often I wash every 2-3 days.

My hair looks a lot healthier and shines better when I do that. I palm roll my locks but I haven't done it in almost 2 months now. After washing, I dry them somewhat and tie a scarf or headband around the front and I'm off!

Beryl
11-18-2004, 12:56 AM
The only thing I know about the every 2 weeks thing was how my hair was managed when I was a child. My mom washed my hair every 2 weeks and then used a hot comb to press it out.

I washed my hair every week before I got locs.

Now that I'm locked, 2X a week works for me most of the year. I'll go 5-6 days when it is very cold.

idia12
11-18-2004, 01:11 AM
I think it depends on the type of hair you have and if your scalp gets dry easily. I have locks down to the middle of my back and it takes about a full day for them to air dry. I have to wash my hair twice a week because I have a dry scalp(always have) and my hair starts to itch if I wait any longer than that. I also work at a veterinary clinic where smells and animal hair are around me all the time so I just feel better keeping my hair as fresh as possible.

kaoticcoil
11-18-2004, 01:32 AM
I wash my hair every 2 weeks and have it professionally done about every 4-5weeks. Still like to be pampered :)
Kaoticcoil

alma2254
11-19-2004, 12:54 PM
I think this is a personal thing and depends on the person.

I personally feel my locs need to be washed atleast twise a weak or else my scalp and locs feel dry and dull. I also feel the need to rinse often.

Sonryse
11-19-2004, 01:52 PM
I wash whenever I deem it necessary; which is usually 2x's a week. I just dyed my hair so I DEEP/THOROUGHLY condition it also twice a week. I dont spritz anymore. However, I need to get back in the habit of that. Anyhoo, that is my routine.

blackangel73
11-20-2004, 02:32 PM
different strokes for different folks.

most of us love our hair so much, we wouldn't walk around with it gunky.

for some of us, that means a once a week wash. for others, every 2 weeks.

It also depends are where we are in the journey. I started locing in June, so of course I'm nowhere near loced yet. So comparing my every 2 weeks shampoo cycle to someone who's been loced for months (and they get wet frequently) might not work for me.

@ ms. crowder - ITA....that gunk under the nails means it's time to wash.

General question for those that clean your scalp in between shampoos:

Do you go between each loc individually?

Or do you pour the scalp balm generally over your head?