PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff

nawTgrl
06-13-2003, 06:17 PM
;) My baby girl is five. I wash her hair with Suave naturals (coconut) and condtioner. I oil her scalp with coconut oil and moisten it with a leave in condtioner(daily doctor) 2 - 3 days later my baby has terrible dandruff???? I am stumped and have tried everything. It is hugh like whole cornflakes anybody have some suggestions????? Please help a sista out.

*NawT*

soontobenatural
06-13-2003, 06:51 PM
nawTgrl,

Is it dandruff, dry scalp, or product buildup? Also, have you thought about taking her to a dermatologist? My daughter had very few flakes, but was scratching her scalp until it bled. From the naked eye, you couldn't see anything, so I took her to the dermatologist. She was diagnosed as having psoriasis and was prescribed Derma-Smoothe. She hasn't had any problems since.

To make sure she doesn't have product buildup, I also started doing ACV (1 part ACV to 4 parts distilled water) rinses after washing and conditioning due to recommendations for members of this board. I am loving the results!

nappyfenix820
06-13-2003, 07:40 PM
It might be a reaction to the shampoo as well. I'm thinking that she just might have psorriosis (spelling :rolleyes: ) b/c my pops has that and has to use meds for it. Little things like the seasons, stress, even the hair products you use can trigger it...soooo i hope you and your little one find out the source cuz it's a chore to have, i know...

good luck,
np

delightfulflame
06-14-2003, 03:58 AM
Sounds like she's allergic to something. Check out Aubrey Organics website that lists the 10 synthetic ingredients to avoid. Every since I've eliminated ALL products that contain these ingredients, my scalp feels so much better.

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/about/treat_10synth.cfm

sugarNfeist
06-14-2003, 11:25 PM
I use to have a horrible scaly looking dandruff problem similar to your daughter. But believe it or not one the things that actually helped me counter my dandruff the most was to stop oiling my scalp. The oil was clogging my scalp pores and actually worsening the dandruff to some extent. I had seborrheic dermatitis which is similar to dandruff but actually occurs cause the scalp produces too much sebum ie oily scalp. I also switched to a milder shampoo try Creme of Nature and Isoplus conditioning shampoo they helped my problem. Baby shampoo is mild but it did nothing to help my condition so I wouldn't suggest that either. Oh and the Apple Cider Vinegar + water rinses did wonders to keep my condition at bay and relieve my scalp itchies.

CEE26
06-19-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by sugarNfeist@Jun 14 2003, 11:25 PM
I use to have a horrible scaly looking dandruff problem similar to your daughter. But believe it or not one the things that actually helped me counter my dandruff the most was to stop oiling my scalp. The oil was clogging my scalp pores and actually worsening the dandruff to some extent. I had seborrheic dermatitis which is similar to dandruff but actually occurs cause the scalp produces too much sebum ie oily scalp. I also switched to a milder shampoo try Creme of Nature and Isoplus conditioning shampoo they helped my problem. Baby shampoo is mild but it did nothing to help my condition so I wouldn't suggest that either. Oh and the Apple Cider Vinegar + water rinses did wonders to keep my condition at bay and relieve my scalp itchies.
i have the same problem.....it got so bad this past week or so....i just tried the apple cider vinegar..i hope it helps me too

allsmilez
06-20-2003, 06:31 PM
My daughter has the same problem... I've made an appointment with the Dematologist... but, thanks for the ACV Tip...

CEE26
06-23-2003, 12:43 PM
the acv rinse helped me....i'm going to add this to my hair routine