PDA

View Full Version : How long do you give yourself?

alma2254
11-29-2004, 11:52 AM
I know some people who say that they give their washing/after washing routine 5 hours to dry, style, retwist etc ...And then there are others who just wash, dry and go in like half an hour...

I was curious to know...

How much time do you usually take for washing your locs and the after routine?

What exactly do you do after your shampoo session apart from drying?

Do you recommend that people take more time on the process of washing/after routine?

LBellatrix
11-29-2004, 12:51 PM

Wow, Alma, since I started locking I stopped thinking of my washing routine as something I needed to "take time" for. That is, when I was a loose napptural (with "long-ish" hair) I definitely felt like I had to schedule a block of time for shampooing-and-whatever.

Nowadays, I wash every Sunday morning after I work out. The routine listed below takes maybe an hour to 90 minutes but most of that time involves air-drying.

From start to finish: I shampoo (lather, scrub/squeeze, rinse) once, pour my ACV rinse through, let it sit for a bit while I wash the rest of me, do the dog shake, get out of the shower, pat/squeeze my hair damp with a towel, go on about my business while I let my hair get about 80% dry, then smooth on some oil.

Do you recommend that people take more time on the process of washing/after routine?

Not necessarily. I mean, my routine is pretty straightforward right now but my locs aren't that long. When they get longer I anticipate taking more time to ensure that they get completely dry.

Also, I latch for maintenance, and I have a high fuzz tolerance, so I don't have that additional step of palmrolling and gelling.

Simplyloc
11-29-2004, 01:50 PM

washing during the workdays:
I shampoo once, rince and towel dry, i will also add a little bit of aloe vera juice mix. This takes about 15 minutes, including daily shower time.

washing on weekend: same as above, but i add a rosemary-lemon-olive oil rince and separate the locs. (15-20 minutes or so)

washing on weekend i am going out:
I shampoo twice ( might use a clarying shampoo), rince, and condition the locs, rince again and towel dry (20-30 minutes approx). afterwards i use an ACV rince, then rosemary-lemon-olive oil rince (5-7 minutes). towel dry (for 15 minutes). add one spoon of olive oil all over my hair (little bit dry after the ACV rince) and separate my locs. I will palmroll each locs (2 hours). If i re-do my loc separation with a comb it can take up to 4 hours. I am trying to not twist them anymore i really like the way that semi-freemorming look on me (i either palromm or twist).
This could be an all day process because i will go do my grocery shopping in between, clean etc... :blush:

Each to their own. ^_^

temari
11-29-2004, 04:36 PM

I really don't take long to wash my locs. I generally wash my locs about 2 to 3 times a week. I usually wash in the morning prior to work, oil, and towel dry. The washing portion probably takes about 5 to 10 minutes. I rinse and squeeze as much excess water out as possible, then I add Olive Oil, then towel dry.

Since I retighten by latching every 8 weeks or so(either by finger or latch hook), I don't usually do anything other than let it air-dry. I don't even separate locs. I guess you can say I semi-freeform in between tightening.

I have found that everyone's hair is different. I tried to copy other people's routines and I didn't have the same results as they received. I have accepted that what works for someone else may not work for me. My routine that I have, I became comfortable with and I love the outcome (locs feel and look healthy). My best recommendation is to "Do You".