PDA

View Full Version : Vegan/Vegetarian

MsNaNa
12-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Calling all vegans and vegetarians:

Aiight this is it. I need some help on this one. I have been contemplating cutting out the meat out of my diet for good. I know it will take some work but I really think that now is my time. I have stopped eating pork and I am almost off of the beef.

But what I want to know is if it is possible to be a vegetarian when your SO is not giving up meat? Is there anyone who is currently experiencing this? Will it make it hard for the two to live together? What are the options?

I need some info yall. Holla Back Please!

trubliss
12-03-2004, 04:03 AM
It is very possible. I have been in this situation for two and a half years with my boyfriend.
I would say that the only problems we run into is when we go out to eat, but even then we are able to find places where we can both eat. When I cook for him he will eat some vegetarian dishes and I will cook him some meat.
We are a little torn over whether or not our kids will be meat eaters/vegetarians.
Hope this helps.

MsNaNa
12-06-2004, 06:47 PM
This post is getting no play and I know there are more people that can give some advice. Hello out there!

Lokii
12-07-2004, 12:04 AM
My bf is also vegetarian but most of my friends aren’t and when we eat together we don’t have problems. Any decent restaurant has some vegetarian selections. If there’s no vegetarian selection then order a salad that includes several different kinds of veggies. Most salads are rounded off with a meat or cheese topping so if you don’t want these then make sure you tell them to hold them. Then look for meat free protein on the menu – e.g. black bean dip, hummus, or refried beans. The salad veggies and the beans should be a satisfying meal. If you need something more ask if they have whole grain bread.

As for eating in, if my bf was a meat eater he would be responsible for preparing the meat dishes himself. I will sometimes pick up a meat or chicken dish at the supermarket deli for someone but I won’t prepare it in my kitchen. You can also buy pretty good meat based spaghetti sauce at your friendly deli.

I what I do usually prepare is brown rice, whole grain pasta, veggies, beans or tofu. I offer my food to whoever is eating with me and most of the time they like it. When you don't cook with meat you notice a lot more flavor in your veggies so if you do a good job of spicing your veggies, beans and tofu you just might end up with a convert.

I just had thanksgiving with my family. Half of us are vegetarian and half aren’t. The only difference in the two meals is that they ate turkey. The other dishes were vegan except for the potato salad which I think had eggs. It worked out fine.

blufaerie
12-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Me and my small circle of friends are vegetarian/vegan and we just had the best Thanxgiving ever...

The last person I dated was not vegetarian, but she loved my cooking, so she ate what we ate most of the time. The woman I am dating now isnt a veggie either, but we always find someplace great to eat that has veggie choices, especially Raging Burrito. Tofu is like the new chicken it seems, LOL!

If you have eaten out as much as I have in the past, then you know which restaurants will be vegetarian friendly, which is A LOT of restaurants.... Also, offer to cook your boyfriend a meal. At first, omnivores complain that they need meat, but if you cook a flavorful meal, they hardly miss it.

feepee
12-07-2004, 04:48 PM
i don't have an SO at the moment but i entertain guests/family often in my home.

If i'm cooking i'll offer to cook meat if the want. otherwise they'll eat what i eat which is still tastey and filling.

when eating out i get creative with the menu. the restuarants i've been too have been accomodating with making meat dishes without meat. and there has been only one instance where it cost MORE to subtract the meat :icon_headshake:

blufaerie is right, if the non-meat food is tastey, they won't miss it. now may fam says i don't even have to cook meat most of the time. they know i can throw down in the kitchen.

sweet-one
12-28-2004, 09:11 PM
This is a great thread. I was wondering how I was going to tackle this problem myself. Years ago, I decided to cut meat out of my diet. It was easy b/c I was single. I am planning to go back to not eating meat. I was wondering how I was going to handle it now that I am married. I dont want to have to cook two seperate meals for my husband and my son. Although, I think they will eat some of the things that I make, I know that they will frown up their nose to some things. I am more open minded than they are.

We could all stand to be healthier and eat better. I plan to make the changes without really telling them. I just have to make sure that I find some things that will satisfy all of our tongues. I plan to cook alot more. Therefore, I will have better control of what I feed myself and my family.

I think I can handle the eating out part. It is the just eating in that I was concerned about.

DaisysHair
01-04-2005, 08:44 PM
I will soon have this problem, I know my SO, the love of my live will be a carnivore until the day je dies, but I expressed to him that I would like to live a vegetarian lifestyle, he was optimistic but for his sake. I will cook meals for him with meat, but I will also prepare a lot of meals for me which I know he will love.

My children basically will eat what I eat, looking forward to it. :D

Medusa9
01-11-2005, 03:48 PM
My SO is a hard-core carnivore--usually eating two kinds of meat with every meal and very few vegetables, so when we eat at each others houses, there is slight (albeit friendly) struggle. He'll b**tch about it, but knows that when he gets to my house, he's has to bring his own meat--cooked, because I'm not touching the stuff. When I go to his house, I know to bring some extra tofu and veggies, because all he has in his fridge is Hamburger Helper and pork chops.

There is always a trade off going on; he knows I'm more tempted to stay the night if he keeps more fruits and veggies around! And on holidays, I will actually bring some chicken. Compromise is essential.

He's coming around though; he just turned 30 and he's starting to feel the effects of his dietary habits!

alma2254
01-19-2005, 10:28 AM
I think it is very possible to have a happy relationship when only one is vegan/vegeterian ---but only if both sides are willing to comprimise.

When I met my SO a couple of years ago, I loved meat. And he was a vegan. It didn't bother us, but it did mean that we would both have to respect eachother's eating habits. Going shopping for food with him was the only thing that used to stress me out at the time. Apart from that, I enjoyed eating his food most days (he loves cooking) and if I wanted my meat/fish, I'd have to make it myself which was fine with me. He used to offer to make fish for me a couple of times, so long as I was the taster lol.

Now that I'm vegeterian, I don't think I would be quite as understanding as he was. I hate cooking meat and I don't think I could handle being in a relationship with someone who eats meat.

When it comes down to it, I think it all depends on the people. Everyone has different approaches.

moni1999
01-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by trubliss@Dec 2 2004, 11:03 PM
We are a little torn over whether or not our kids will be meat eaters/vegetarians.

Exactly. I've never been a big fan of meat. I gave up on beef and pork about 8 years ago, and just recently gave up on chicken and seafood. My fiance' on the other hand looovveess meat! Although, he will eat some of my veggie pasta dishes and Boca burgers :)

But when we get married I don't know how things are gonna go. I probably won't mind cooking him some meat, sometimes, but I know I'm not gonna be too excited about it! And for when we have kids, I want them to be healthy, and eat like I eat, but he thinks they should be allowed to choose. We'll see how that goes! ;)

Sassydiva
06-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Yea Im vegetarian and hubby is a meat eater. Really I dont have problem with him. He will eat what I cook, he is not picky, I prepare meat meals for him but mostly he tells me not to cook 2 seperate meals that he will eat what I cook,which is vegetrian. When we go out to eat, we usually pick a place that has both cause he is a meat eater and im not. Like if we go to a pizza and wings place. I will get vegetarian pizza and he will usually get wings.Its no problem for us

badu03
07-05-2006, 12:51 PM
[b] I stopped eating meat a month ago hubby is a big time meat eater and I was worried about that also. So i go cook to meals, but what ever veggies i cook he will eat them too. Im really killing 2 birds with one stone im eating what i want and im getting him to eat more veggies.I get mock chicken and fix it up and he cant tell the differents i like to play tricks on him like that cause he is always saying there is no way he wiil ever go vegg. U might just have to cook 2 meals, well its really not cooking 2 meals when u where eating meat u cooked meat and veggies so just look at it like that.

:wub: [color=#3333FF][size=4] BTW Im loving not eating meat i feel so much better ive lost 10 lbs since i stopped. :wub: