PDA

View Full Version : Meat

Medusa Negrita
01-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Okay so I been reading the 'first menses' thread and there's a consensus on there and elsewhere that there is something definitely wrong with all these harmone-laden foods (like they should never have extra harmones in the first place). This is definitely a concern for me, but I am thinking nor wanting to become a vegan or vegetabletanarian.

I just want to eat a bit more healthily than I do.

1) Does all meat have hormones, or is it just what is referred to as 'red meat.'

2). If all has hormones, then why do people think it's a good thing that they only chicken, fish, turkey, or whatever isn't considered 'red meat.'

3) What is red meat? (Guess this shoulda been my first question :? ). I thought red meat was animals that bleed, but fish and chicken bleed so I don't get it.

How can I ensure myself of getting more nutriutious and less hormone laden meat, is there a way to do that?

spacetygrss
01-29-2003, 11:11 PM
I just want to eat a bit more healthily than I do.

1) Does all meat have hormones, or is it just what is referred to as 'red meat.'

2). If all has hormones, then why do people think it's a good thing that they only chicken, fish, turkey, or whatever isn't considered 'red meat.'

3) What is red meat? (Guess this shoulda been my first question :? ). I thought red meat was animals that bleed, but fish and chicken bleed so I don't get it.

How can I ensure myself of getting more nutriutious and less hormone laden meat, is there a way to do that?

1. No all meat does not have hormones You can get hormone-free meat from most alternative food stores like "Whole Foods." In general, organic products do not contain hormones.

2. I don't know why people think the way that they do.

3.In general, red meat is meat that looks red when raw, like beef, lamb, etc.

Again, if you want meat that is not hormone-laden, I would suggest that you go to your local alternative food store.

HTH

ollypitts2
01-29-2003, 11:37 PM
Spacetygress gave great answers.

I would add that many people prefer turkey or chicken to red meat because they are less fatty. Many kinds of fish are fatty, but the fat is the kind that we need to stay healthy,

Notice that pork, although not red meat, is rarely recommended as part of a healthful diet.

Whole Foods is a great place to shop because they have such a large variety of hormone-free, free-range, and organic foods; but many of the large chain regular stores now carry a limited selection of the same products.

If you don't want to splurge on hormone-free food, then at least try the leaner cuts of red meat, white chicken and turkey, and try some steamed or sauteed. fish.

curlygirl
01-30-2003, 02:59 AM
Spacetygress gave great answers.

I would add that many people prefer turkey or chicken to red meat because they are less fatty. Many kinds of fish are fatty, but the fat is the kind that we need to stay healthy,

Notice that pork, although not red meat, is rarely recommended as part of a healthful diet.

Whole Foods is a great place to shop because they have such a large variety of hormone-free, free-range, and organic foods; but many of the large chain regular stores now carry a limited selection of the same products.

If you don't want to splurge on hormone-free food, then at least try the leaner cuts of red meat, white chicken and turkey, and try some steamed or sauteed. fish.

Good answers ladies! Red meat is also associated w/higher incidence of heart disease because of the fat. Most people who have had a heart attack are advised to eliminate it and pork from their diets entirely.