PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions?

MsDrea
06-18-2003, 08:11 PM
I am an African-American women in my late 20's going through my quarter life crisis. I've decided that I would like to build a strong collection of non-fiction books that deal with love, prosperity and self growth. What are you all reading? What should I be looking for?

Kalico
06-18-2003, 08:46 PM
Creative Visualization, by Shakti Gawain

LotsOfLocs
06-18-2003, 08:50 PM
Faith in the Valley: Lessons for Women on the Journey to Peace by Iyanla Vanzant

Sacred Woman- Queen Afua

These first two books got me through a lot of mess.

The Mastery of Love by Don Ruiz

The Prophet - Khalil Gibran ( When I am having trouble with different issues, I refer to this book).

MsDrea
06-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Jun 18 2003, 07:50 PM
Faith in the Valley: Lessons for Women on the Journey to Peace by Iyanla Vanzant

Sacred Woman- Queen Afua

These first two books got me through a lot of mess.

The Mastery of Love by Don Ruiz

The Prophet - Khalil Gibran ( When I am having trouble with different issues, I refer to this book).
I actually own Sacred Woman. My boyfriend bought it for me for my birthday last year, but it intimidated me. I never got past the first few pages. I'll crack it open tonight. Thanks.

Cia
06-18-2003, 08:59 PM
Hi MsDrea! :D Here are some of the books I go to time and time again

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck

Sisters of the Yam by bell hooks

In the Company of my Sisters by Julia A. Boyd

LotsOfLocs
06-18-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by MsDrea@Jun 18 2003, 07:55 PM
I actually own Sacred Woman. My boyfriend bought it for me for my birthday last year, but it intimidated me. I never got past the first few pages. I'll crack it open tonight. Thanks.
What exactly intimidated you?

MsDrea
06-18-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs+Jun 18 2003, 08:11 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LotsOfLocs @ Jun 18 2003, 08:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MsDrea@Jun 18 2003, 07:55 PM
I actually own Sacred Woman. My boyfriend bought it for me for my birthday last year, but it intimidated me. I never got past the first few pages. I&#39;ll crack it open tonight. Thanks.
What exactly intimidated you? [/b][/quote]
Well honestly I hadn&#39;t begin meditating yet and certain concepts were unclear to me. That&#39;s for starters. I think the commitment required scared me. Now please don&#39;t ask for specifics. I only read a few pages, but I kind of felt like I wasn&#39;t ready for it. Does that make sense? (Don&#39;t answer that if the answer&#39;s no :lol: )

LotsOfLocs
06-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Well, you dont have to do every excercise. Just read through it, even skip some pages. It talks about everything from honoring yourself, natural hair, sexuality, diet, relationships, to attitude.

MsDrea
06-18-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Jun 18 2003, 08:48 PM
Well, you dont have to do every excercise. Just read through it, even skip some pages. It talks about everything from honoring yourself, natural hair, sexuality, diet, relationships, to attitude.
OK thanks Lots. I&#39;m going to pick it up today. I&#39;ll get back with you on it.