PDA

View Full Version : What is your financial status currently?

geekgurl
12-04-2004, 06:04 PM
What is your currently financial situation? How has it changed as you have gotten older?

I grew up in a single parent home, but my mom had a good job with the government so we were living a comfortable middle-class lifestyle. When I moved out of home as a teenager, I thought I would automatically have the same lifestyle that I had a home. :doh Boy was I was in for a rude awaking. Now, I would classify myself as lower-middle class.

tenachie
12-04-2004, 06:08 PM
well, what are the parameters for the differemt classes?

geekgurl
12-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by tenachie@Dec 4 2004, 03:08 PM
well, what are the parameters for the differemt classes?

poverty - your income cannot meet your basic needs

lower middle class - your income meets your basic needs and a few small extras

middle class - your income easily meets your basic needs and you indulge in things like annual trips abroad

upper middle class - umm, never been upper-middle class so I guess The Cosby's TV family?

wealthy - Bill Gates is your daddy!

tran68
12-04-2004, 07:59 PM
I guess I'm middle class even as a single parent. God has been VERY good to me and I WILL brag on HIM and ALL that he has done! :D

After I pay off my car next week I'll be debt free except for my home, I have two credit cards that I use and pay in full monthly. Not carrying debt gives me much more choices and I'm LOVIN it! I will prolly be adding some student loan debt but that's to make myself more marketable in the Finance field and hopefully hike my salary, even tho I make pretty decent money w/o it, I feel I've reached a "ceiling" as an administrative professional, even tho 1-2 of my admin colleagues are making close to six figures...if I'm gonna make that much, I'd "rather" have my degree as those types of admin positions are very few and far between.

I really admired my Dad through the years, we had wonderful vacations, lived in nice neighborhoods and lived a good life, however I think he thought debt was just something you'd always have, I've realized that it's not a given, even with the increased cost of living. I think he'd be very proud if he were alive of what I've accomplished and the wise choices I'm making.

QueenLocks
12-05-2004, 12:47 AM
I'm working class, but I grew up middle class, Mom buying "Name-Brand" Clothes, going out to eat, I had my own little car at age 16, etc.

Now, I shop for clothes at Wal-Mart, I buy store brand items {Like the grocery store juice, bread, butter, cookies}...

It was hard to snap into this reality 7 years ago, but I learned to deal with it....

~Peace

ThisIsKia
12-05-2004, 04:56 AM
I am living in poverty. Hearing it put that way has really given me the chuckles!

ETA: At least I don't owe anybody any money :hug: .

CatSuga
12-05-2004, 05:30 AM
If I had to pay my own rent, I would be in poverty.

CatSuga
12-05-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by tran68@Dec 4 2004, 02:59 PM
I guess I'm middle class even as a single parent. God has been VERY good to me and I WILL brag on HIM and ALL that he has done! :D

After I pay off my car next week I'll be debt free except for my home, I have two credit cards that I use and pay in full monthly. Not carrying debt gives me much more choices and I'm LOVIN it! I will prolly be adding some student loan debt but that's to make myself more marketable in the Finance field and hopefully hike my salary, even tho I make pretty decent money w/o it, I feel I've reached a "ceiling" as an administrative professional, even tho 1-2 of my admin colleagues are making close to six figures...if I'm gonna make that much, I'd "rather" have my degree as those types of admin positions are very few and far between.

I really admired my Dad through the years, we had wonderful vacations, lived in nice neighborhoods and lived a good life, however I think he thought debt was just something you'd always have, I've realized that it's not a given, even with the increased cost of living. I think he'd be very proud if he were alive of what I've accomplished and the wise choices I'm making.

God bless you :wub: , and I hope that you will continue to keep your head above the water. :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

blumoonbabe
12-05-2004, 08:54 AM
I won't lie, I'm in the middle of a transistion and I am in PO-VER-TEEEEEEE but in a few months, hopefully it'll be over.

ini
12-06-2004, 07:04 AM
i voted poverty. i am without income and i have bills so that means i'm broke :(

Button2004
12-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by ini@Dec 6 2004, 03:04 AM
i voted poverty. i am without income and i have bills so that means i'm broke :(

I will also be without income, hopefully temporarily...so I voted poverty. Being a college student with no support from the parental units is hard as heck. http://talk.thebabycorner.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

alma2254
12-06-2004, 09:47 AM
A this moment in time, I'm back in poverty :doh

woffordgrl
12-06-2004, 10:04 AM
I voted middle class even though I'm not quite sure if that's where I really stand considering my "setup" (ie-- job, apartment, etc) is temporary. But while I have it, I indulge myself :rolleyes: I've been on 4 international trips this year along with 3 domestic trips. I shop name brand and eat $50 meals (which honestly, isn't that uncommon in this country). I figured that I wont be able to live like this much longer (it ends in July '05) so why not live it up a lil bit?

nottyfreedom
12-06-2004, 11:07 PM
ma dukes raised me middle class-then i went off to college. i have my own place-pay rent, phone, utilities, and food. i do these things pretty comfortably with enough money left over to get some yarn, tea, incense, and oils to make me smile . i checked poverty until i read the sistas description....but im doing ai-ight-not great-but ai-ight. im making some investments as well and venturing into small business. so im somewhere between poverty and lower middle class.

notty

vinny_46
12-09-2004, 06:39 PM
poverty/lower middle class.

This is all I've got. :2cents:

TNAlex75
12-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Poverty/Working Class....depending on what bills are due :rolleyes:

beautiful1
12-10-2004, 03:22 AM
I voted poverty because eventhough I have no bills to pay and live a pretty comfortable lifestyle, I am not working, with a $400 credit card debt, and a baby on the way. Now the baby on the way part is only mentioned because of the cost of a child, which is all will be taken care of by my fiance ,but I still consider myself to be inpoverty, because I am not "doing for myself", and I have had my credit card debt for like a year, and I most likely won't pay it off until I have to, but hopefully I can have it discharged. The $400 isn't major money but I hate giving my own money up.

Dolliesdaughter
12-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Working and paying bills with some left over, only debt is home and car. No credit cards, etc and not a flashy dresser. We would be in middle middle class but DH has to pay child support. We work with what we have and we are extremely happy.

Jazitones
12-15-2004, 11:43 AM
I do okay, if I could stay out of stores, I might reach my goal one day. :rolleyes:

feepee
12-15-2004, 04:22 PM
I grew up hellified impoverished. and I'm considered lower-middle class by the above standards.

I thank God everyday I'm able to pay my bills and have a few, very few extras... But hey, i've been WAAAAAAY worse. I'm just trying to maintain things that i didn't have as a kid: a safe, stable home, food everyday, clothes....

I think growing up in the conditions that i did, really help me appreciate what i have now and be responsible with it. PLUS, i will do everything in my power to provide for my son.

*SupaSista*
12-15-2004, 08:43 PM
i am truly blessed and rich beyond my OWN understanding...

*SupaSista*
12-15-2004, 08:46 PM
i am truly blessed and rich beyond my OWN understanding...

elleebeme5
12-15-2004, 11:56 PM
I'm po'. Since that wasn't a choice, I won't vote.

MsCurly85
12-19-2004, 02:01 AM
my family is middle to upper class( hard to explain... were not really middle but not all the way upper middle class).. so i wasn't sure which one to vote for so i just picked middle class

tdrmaquillage
12-22-2004, 06:31 AM
To all the artists out there I just wanna say keep your head up. :D

I voted middle class 'cause I'm in L.A. If I were anywere else, I'd be upper middle class (although if I were in NYC or SF I'd prolly still be 'po. :lol: ). Location has A LOT to do with it. LA, SF, and NYC are CRAZY expensive.

- Tania :rainfro

JaiShi
12-28-2004, 09:06 PM
When I was in my last relationship I was definitely in POVERTY. Got rid of that hoover, lol, and now I would say working class, definitely not middle class.

icetia
12-30-2004, 08:30 AM
If I didn't live at home, I would be doing a two-step on the poverty line. Waitressing is definitely not the most profitable career.

bajanempress
01-02-2005, 12:03 AM
I'm a grad student- I checked lower/middle class to working class. I have a decent stipend but since I bought my car and I am an international student the car payment plus insurance is ridiculous!

My pops is helping me out for the next six months with my insurance or else I'd be certifiably po'. After that I plan to refinance my car loan and my insurance I'm told will be reduced significantly so I'll be able to pay all my bills on my own.