PDA

View Full Version : At Home Hair Color 101

AFashionSlave
06-19-2003, 07:45 PM
Lately, I've been getting a lot of pm's about coloring your hair at home. So I decided to start a topic about hair color information. If any of you at home colorists have some info please add to this topic.

I only have experience with at home box kit hair color, temporary hair color, and, semi-permanent hair color. I do not have experience covering gray hair. I do not have experience with professional coloring.

Hair Color Terminology
Temporary Color - Color that lasts 1-3 shampoos
Semi-Permanent Color- Color that lasts 6-12 shampoos. This type of color only effects the cuticle and does not penetrate the hair shaft. Will not lighten or lift your natural hair color.
Demi-Permanant Color-Color that lasts 24-26 shampoos. These do penetrate the hair shaft so the color will last longer.
Permanent Color-Color will not shampoo out, but the color may fade a little over time. Permanent color has two steps: First it lightens your natural hair color, second it deposits color pigments into your cortex. Permanent color does penetrate the hair shaft. (There are some permanent hair colors that do not lift your hair. They only deposit hair color that cannot be removed. Usually these types of perm color are used on light blondes.)
Developer- Developer is peroxide or a mild bleach. It opens up your cuticle like the open gills on a fish.
Tones-a tone is a base color. Warm or cool tones. For instance red can have cool tones of blue or warm tones of orange.
Foiling-Foiling is used to keep the hair color moist. Foiling keeps the hair color from getting onto other strands in your hair. Foiling also keeps the hair color from touching your scalp. The heat from your scalp can make your hair color come out a different shade from what you originally planned..
LevelThere are 10 levels. 1 is black. 10 is pale yellow blonde. Levels are referring to your natural hair color.
Package LevelLevel 1 temporary, Level 2 is semi or demi, Level 3 is permanent. These are the levels that are on the out side of your box color package.
LiftLift is another word for lighten.
Metallic dyesSome hair color contains tiny almost microscopic pieces of metal. These metal pieces help your hair to reflect light. Some metallic can damage hair by leaving tiny tears in your cuticle.
Bleach A very strong lightning agent. It removes all color pigment from your hair.
Double Process.Doing two chemical services on your hair. If you relax and use permanent color. If you bleach and use permanent color. I have never done a double process at home. I think a professional should only do them.
ShadeThe color that is on your hair color box.
Filler- A filler is a serious protein reconstructer. It fills in the missing holes of protein that color takes away.

How permanent box hair color works?Permanent hair color works in two steps. First it lightens your hair using Hydrogen peroxide or H202, then it deposits color using ammonia. Usually you have to mix the two. The Developer (Peroxide) is usually white. The ammonia is usually mixed with the color.

Hydrogen Peroxide oxidizes your hair and removes natural color, protein and sulfur from your hair shaft.

Ammonia is alkaline and it separates your cuticle. Ammonia opens your hair up like the open gills of a fish. After your hair shaft is opened up the color is deposited underneath your cuticle. The color then bonds to your hair and gives you a new hair color.

Sometimes perm color will loosen away some of your napps, sometimes perm color will make your hair seem nappier.

Maintenance
Conditioning - Since color separates your cuticle you have to deep condition regularly to keep that cuticle lying down.
Color depositing Shampoos and conditioners.- These products are used to help maintain your color as it fades with shampoo, chlorine or the sun.
Mild Shampoo - After you color it does not take much to clarify your hair. Clarifying shampoos will take out some of your hair color. Please use mild shampoo formulas.
Protein reconstructer_ I use a protein reconstructer on my hair once every 6-8 weeks after I use perm color. It helps to keep my hair from breaking off. If your hair won't accept or lift color it is usually because your hair is missing protein.

Tips
-Is your hair in good condition?- Make sure that your hair is in good condition before you use perm color
-Buy enough color to cover your hair- Do not be afraid to buy two bottles of color for your first application.
-Only retouch your roots unless you are changing your permanent color again - Do not re-apply hair color to your entire head while the developer is fresh.
-Covering your head while you color - Some people use a plastic cap while the color is on their hair. This is to be done at your own risk. The heat from your scalp may cause your roots to come out brighter than the rest of your hair.
-Box color is not true color - Those little swatches of hair that you see on the shelves are not examples of what that hair will look like on your head. Those hair samples are originally white hair that is colored over with the color that is on the box.
-To get best color results - Mix your color quickly and apply ASAP to hair. This way the developer is at it's strongest. Most box color has developer that only lasts about 15-25 minutes. After the time allowed you are no longer lifting color. You are only depositing it.
-I never use permanent blue or black hair color. I don't think that it is necessary. Blue and black are hard to remove. Why use permanent if you can use a temp, semi or demi color.
-If you use a temp, semi, or demi color on black hair it will not show up. Think of it like using a red marker on black paper. You can't see it. You may be able to see it in direct sunlight, but that is it. Your black hair has to be lightened a little to deposit the new shade.

Did you know?
-Red hair is the hardest color to keep from fading.
-Blues, blacks, and purples are the colors that fade the least.
-After you color the first time your hair will be very porous. It will easily adsorb temporary color. Temporary color may be hard to remove with shampoo if applied too soon after a perm color.
-Perm Hair color will seep into your scalp. This is why most doctors recommend that perm color not be used during the first trimester of pregnancy.

I do not know everything about color. I am not a professional. I only know this information because I have been dying my hair for years. If you have any questions please post them here and I will try to give you an answer.

AFashionSlave
06-19-2003, 08:00 PM
By the way I use Loreal Feria for my permanent color. I use Jazzing and Adore for temp & semi.

CarolinaAfro
06-19-2003, 08:25 PM
What other permanent colors brands would you recommend? (in case Feria doesn't have my color)

thx.

NappyGoddesse
06-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Girl, THANK YOU for this information. It really helps!!!

:D :hug:

:rainfro:

AFashionSlave
06-19-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by CarolinaAfro@Jun 19 2003, 03:25 PM
What other permanent colors brands would you recommend? (in case Feria doesn't have my color)

thx.
Feria is the only store bought color that I would recommend. I've used Garnier, and Creme of Nature, and Dark and Lovely. I hated them all. My skin tone is very yellow. So I stick to warm colors. When I used Garnier, Creme of Nature, and Dark & lovely - I chose a warm shade but I ended up with blue undertones. I don’t think that those companies’s colors match what is on the box at all. There are some people who are happy with Natural Instincts. I didn't think that natural instincts was too bad.

Feria has the largest color choice I have ever seen in a box hair color. They bring out new ones every season. Wal-Mart carries a big selection.

There are a few people here who use natural instincts. Maybe they will chime in and bless ya with some info.

Also, Don't forget to buy your own deep conditioner. I have never been happy with the conditioner that comes with the color.

AFashionSlave
06-19-2003, 09:18 PM
Here is a link to the Feria Site
http://www.lorealparisusa.com/haircolor/pr...site/frames.asp (http://www.lorealparisusa.com/haircolor/products/feria-minisite/frames.asp)

Here is the link to the natural instincts site.
http://www.clairol.com/brand/naturalinstin...ncts/basics.jsp (http://www.clairol.com/brand/naturalinstincts/basics.jsp)

:afro: I think that Natural instincts has more natural looking hair color.
Feria has brighter more vibrant shades. Some look natural some look un-natural.

:rainfro: I love bright un-natural looking hair color. I love my hair to be vibrant and rich in color.

SheShe
06-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Thanks alot!! :D :)

nappi
06-19-2003, 10:25 PM
i want 2 color my hair 2
so u guys think feria is tha best brand 4 black (4a/B) hair
im also going 2 put extensions in my hair next wk
tha main reason 4 my colorin' is 2c how much my hair has grown
is that a good idea or a no no

bambino
06-19-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by NappyGoddesse@Jun 19 2003, 03:47 PM
Girl, THANK YOU for this information. It really helps!!!

:D :hug:

:rainfro:
totally agree. . . the information is extremely useful

Dee Dee Russell
06-19-2003, 10:40 PM
Great job! I'm a kitchen pro colorist, do my own hair every 2 months, this information is outstanding, keep up the good work my dear.

The color I am loving for the past year is Clariol's Textures and Tones, I mix 2 colors and totally love the results, the color's stick and are strong.

Agreed about the shower cap thingie, I did that last time & my roots were blazing red but settled down after a week of no pooing.

By the way daily misting is a must, oiling the ends is a must, wrapping the hair at night is a must as is keeping one's hands out of colored hair cause the ends can be fragile, right now I am sporting classy cornrows.

AFashionSlave
06-19-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Dee Dee Russell@Jun 19 2003, 05:40 PM
Great job! I'm a kitchen pro colorist, do my own hair every 2 months, this information is outstanding, keep up the good work my dear.

The color I am loving for the past year is Clariol's Textures and Tones, I mix 2 colors and totally love the results, the color's stick and are strong.

Agreed about the shower cap thingie, I did that last time & my roots were blazing red but settled down after a week of no pooing.

By the way daily misting is a must, oiling the ends is a must, wrapping the hair at night is a must as is keeping one's hands out of colored hair cause the ends can be fragile, right now I am sporting classy cornrows.
:pumpheart: Thank you for the compliment. :pumpheart:

Tasha806
06-19-2003, 11:39 PM
Excellent information! Natural Instincts lover here. It's a good option if you just want to enhance your existing hair color. But ITA with everything stated here, shoot i wish i had all of this info when i first started my at home color experimenting.

AFashionSlave
06-19-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by nappi@Jun 19 2003, 05:25 PM
i want 2 color my hair 2
Nappi,
:nohuh: I do not recommend using Feria in a black shade. There is no real need to use permanent black hair color. You are better off using a semi or demi perm if you are going to dye your hair a darker shade than your natural color.

:nohuh: No, I do not think that it is a good idea to color your hair just to see how much your hair has grown. You could damage your hair. You are better off using photographs to see how much your hair has grown. I just started an online growth progress photo journal.

Hope that helps

gotstobeme
06-20-2003, 01:28 AM
Hey FashionSlave,

Question: Is it possible to bleach just the ends of a fro? Like half an inch or so?

I'm at a twa right now but when my hair grew out some I was planning to bleach the tips of my hair to white then use some temporary color on the white parts.

Thanks in advance

P.S. - Someday I hope to look something like this... :rainfro: ......no, really I'm serious!

AFashionSlave
06-20-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by gotstobeme@Jun 19 2003, 08:28 PM
Hey FashionSlave,

Question: Is it possible to bleach just the ends of a fro? Like half an inch or so?

I'm at a twa right now but when my hair grew out some I was planning to bleach the tips of my hair to white then use some temporary color on the white parts.

Thanks in advance

P.S. - Someday I hope to look something like this... :rainfro: ......no, really I'm serious!
Yes, it is possible to bleach the ends of your afro, especially if your hair has not been previously color treated.

:o Beware, the lighter you go the more damaged your hair can become. Bleach is the strongest form of lifter. Also bleach usually is not creamy it is very liquid like. If it is your first time coloring your hair you may end up bleaching areas that you don't want bleached. Think of it the way you would overlapping a hair relaxer. Sometimes chemicals are hard to control. Also, you may not be able to lift your natural color well. You may end up with platinum on the last 1/2" and dirty blonde on the last inch of your hair. If you do not know what you are doing with bleach you may end up with brassy, orangy, yellow undertones.

I suggest going to a professional for bleached tips.

Platinum blonde is the hardest color to achieve without damage especially if you are trying to bleach dark brown or black hair.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

africancurlie
06-20-2003, 02:30 AM
Hey AFAshionSlave,
Great info, since i'm taking the plunge this weekend :P . I'm gonna use 2 boxes of texture and tones Red Hot Red on my naturally hard to lighten extremely jet black hair. Do you think it will work? (well i don't really care if it's not extremely light but if there's no diff then i'll be upset) And also when i decide to dye my hair black again what are some good hair color comapanies to use? lastly if i decide not to color over the red with balck, but let's say golden brown will it look really weird and funky or could it actually take well? If you could answer these questions it would be really helpful and thank you for starting the thread at the perfect time :thumbsup: :pumpheart: :thumbsup:

AFashionSlave
06-20-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by africancurlie@Jun 19 2003, 09:30 PM
Hey AFAshionSlave,
Great info, since i'm taking the plunge this weekend :P . I'm gonna use 2 boxes of texture and tones Red Hot Red on my naturally hard to lighten extremely jet black hair. Do you think it will work? (well i don't really care if it's not extremely light but if there's no diff then i'll be upset) And also when i decide to dye my hair black again what are some good hair color comapanies to use? lastly if i decide not to color over the red with balck, but let's say golden brown will it look really weird and funky or could it actually take well? If you could answer these questions it would be really helpful and thank you for starting the thread at the perfect time :thumbsup: :pumpheart: :thumbsup:
If you have virgin hair your red hot red may not take the way you expect it to, but, I believe that you will at least end up with dark red color. I believe that box hair color is not as strong as effective as the stuff that professionals use. You will probably need to apply the red hot red in two all over applications (at least 4 to six weeks apart) to get results that are closer to the color on the box.

After your red-hot-red color is achieved you can change to a golden brown. All you have to do is apply the golden brown all over your hair again. It should not be difficult, it just depends on how light the shade of brown is. Remember the lighter the color the higher chance you will have damage.

I do not use perm color very often. I only use it once every 2 to 3 months.

Every time that you apply all-over color you are breaking down your hair cuticle more and more. Don't go to crazy with perm color.

When you finally decide to go black again. I suggest that you use a semi or demi hair color. There is no need to use perm black hair color. It will only create more damage. If you apply semi-perm color over your previously colored hair chances are your hair will adsorb it like it is a perm color. Porous hair soaks up color very well.

I can't really recommend a good hair color company to go back black with. After all black is black from company to company. Don't choose a very cheap brand. Cheap color may rinse out faster than a better quality box color. Loreal is my favorite.

*Don't forget - Mix one bottle and apply. Then mix the other bottle and apply.*

africancurlie
06-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Okay so i took the plunge sooner than i expected ( said i would color on sat. but than decided to wait till july then my mom said to do it now!) so i did it and I.... don't really like it. i have such a weird skin tone, You know those tests to figure out if you have warm or cool undertones and to wear a white and beige shirt to see which one is better? Well both always look good lol :lol: So the red hot red i thought would have a golden tone until i realized it was actually more of a cool tone on me and looked bad. So now i know my answer: cool tones don't work on me. So i have 3 choices:

A. pick a lighter more golden red (T&T flaming desire or something from loreal, any suggestions?)

B. get feria colors in iced mocha and creme brulee to acheive my golden brown color which i think would look good

C. just go back to black-not so daring but always looked good one me :P

Of course i would wait a few months to do any of this and thankfully my hair isn't dry or anything but the color looks like rust. Also my mom told me to apply the color all over but it said to wait fot the last 15 min for roots and now my roots are really bright and the mids and ends are rusty plumy reddish black. it's not a disaster but i just think the whole senario is pretty funny if u ask me.

Thanx for ur help before and in advance :thumbsup: ~Curlie~

blumoonbabe
06-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by nappi@Jun 19 2003, 06:25 PM
i want 2 color my hair 2
Ooohwee girl, I wouldn't say all that girl. I used Feria and I swear, my scalp burned for a week, and itched for another 3 or 4, no matter what I did!

Stupid me, thought I did something wrong the first time and used Feria again... :nohuh: that stuff had my scalp hollering! Just investigate for yourself, and start out with the mildest color that can handle the job, then work your way up if you must.

AFashionSlave
06-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by blumoonbabe+Jun 21 2003, 05:09 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blumoonbabe @ Jun 21 2003, 05:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nappi@Jun 19 2003, 06:25 PM
i want 2 color my hair 2
tha main reason 4 my colorin&#39; is 2c how much my hair has grown
Ooohwee girl, I wouldn&#39;t say all that girl. I used Feria and I swear, my scalp burned for a week, and itched for another 3 or 4, no matter what I did!

Stupid me, thought I did something wrong the first time and used Feria again... :nohuh: that stuff had my scalp hollering! Just investigate for yourself, and start out with the mildest color that can handle the job, then work your way up if you must. [/b][/quote]
I agree with ya bluemoonbabe. Feria is my personal favorite because the undertones are correct. Choosing a hair color is your own personal choice. If you have a sensitive scalp maybe you should try another perm color brand.

AFashionSlave
06-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by africancurlie@Jun 21 2003, 03:11 AM
Okay so i took the plunge sooner than i expected ( said i would color on sat. but than decided to wait till july then my mom said to do it now!) so i did it and I.... don&#39;t really like it. i have such a weird skin tone, You know those tests to figure out if you have warm or cool undertones and to wear a white and beige shirt to see which one is better? Well both always look good lol :lol: So the red hot red i thought would have a golden tone until i realized it was actually more of a cool tone on me and looked bad. So now i know my answer: cool tones don&#39;t work on me. So i have 3 choices:

A. pick a lighter more golden red (T&T flaming desire or something from loreal, any suggestions?)

B. get feria colors in iced mocha and creme brulee to acheive my golden brown color which i think would look good

C. just go back to black-not so daring but always looked good one me :P

Of course i would wait a few months to do any of this and thankfully my hair isn&#39;t dry or anything but the color looks like rust. Also my mom told me to apply the color all over but it said to wait fot the last 15 min for roots and now my roots are really bright and the mids and ends are rusty plumy reddish black. it&#39;s not a disaster but i just think the whole senario is pretty funny if u ask me.

Thanx for ur help before and in advance :thumbsup: ~Curlie~
Africancurly,

Please wait before you change you hair color again.
I would not apply any color products with any ammonia or peroxide any time soon. If you hate your color you can choose a temp color like adore or jazzing. Try using adore or jazzing without using a hood dryer so it will be easier to wash out. Jazzing and adore are temporary colors that become semi colors if you use them with hood dryer. If you are looking for a warm shade of Jazzing or Adore red. I can help you pick one out so you won&#39;t choose a cool color again.

I have heard some people here say that they don&#39;t like feria, but it&#39;s my favorite because the undertones are correct.

Good Luck - please wait at least 4 weeks (I recommend waiting 6 weeks) before you use perm color again.

NuAtThis
06-24-2003, 05:31 PM
Hi, I&#39;m in need of some advice...My hair is dark brn/black and I want to dye it a light brn/dark blonde...I&#39;ve heard in order to do this I would need to "strip" my hair. What is this exactly? Does it come in the box of hair color?

AFashionSlave
06-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by NuAtThis@Jun 24 2003, 12:31 PM
Hi, I&#39;m in need of some advice...My hair is dark brn/black and I want to dye it a light brn/dark blonde...I&#39;ve heard in order to do this I would need to "strip" my hair. What is this exactly? Does it come in the box of hair color?

Strip is another word for bleach or lighten.

I do not suggest going blonde at home, especially if you are not new to coloring your hair. I think that blonde hair is something that is better left to the professionals. Getting your hair professionally colored is the best choice when it comes to blonde. I know some women that go blonde at home. They usually end up with dry damaged hair. Trying to achieve blonde hair is the most damaging out of all at home color jobs.

You can go blonde at home, but chances are you will not end up with the blonde that you wanted. It will probably take you 2 or 3 times of all over color to get blonde hair.

Good Luck

NuAtThis
06-25-2003, 12:33 AM
Thanks so much for the advice! :rainfro:

Jess82
06-25-2003, 12:57 AM
Did anybody ever used a permanent color without ammonia like Herbal Essences?
Is it better for the hair, and is it as efficient as one with ammonia? I would also like to know how it works, if possible...

AFashionSlave
06-25-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Jess82@Jun 24 2003, 07:57 PM
Did anybody ever used a permanent color without ammonia like Herbal Essences?
Is it better for the hair, and is it as efficient as one with ammonia? I would also like to know how it works, if possible...
I think that herbal essences has a little ammonia in it. Make sure that you read the box. Some formulas say low in ammonia, but the truth is that most box color is low in ammonia. It only takes a little ammonia to activate the color.

I&#39;m sure that there is someone here who has used herbal essences before, maybe they will chime in.

NuAtThis
06-25-2003, 09:38 PM
I did it! Okay, my sister did it but still...I used Dark & Lovely 384 Lite Golden Blonde. Since my hair was so dark and I didn&#39;t want to dye it twice it turned out the color of Free&#39;s hair from BET. I love it. This is the first time I&#39;ve ever dyed my hair. I&#39;ve lined up the moisturizing conditioners, etc. to combat dryness and damage. I&#39;ve already received many compliments so thanks AFashionSlave for all the advice!

WorldsOfCurls
06-25-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by NuAtThis@Jun 25 2003, 05:38 PM
I did it! Okay, my sister did it but still...I used Dark & Lovely 384 Lite Golden Blonde. Since my hair was so dark and I didn&#39;t want to dye it twice it turned out the color of Free&#39;s hair from BET. I love it. This is the first time I&#39;ve ever dyed my hair. I&#39;ve lined up the moisturizing conditioners, etc. to combat dryness and damage. I&#39;ve already received many compliments so thanks AFashionSlave for all the advice!
Where are the pics???? :pumpheart:

WorldsOfCurls
06-25-2003, 09:50 PM
OK I bought Natural Instincts by Clairol color Spiced tea. I dont think I&#39;m ready for a WOW color just yet so I&#39;m gonna ease into it. Wish me luck. I better be able to see something <_<

AFashionSlave
06-25-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by NuAtThis@Jun 25 2003, 04:38 PM
:D Yea girl, you have got to show us pictures! :D

Don&#39;t forget to use a protien reconstructer once every 4 to six weeks along with your moisturizing deep conditioners. Remember your hair has lost a lot of protien and sulfer. You gotta keep that blonde hair healthy.

:thumbsup: I&#39;m glad your hair turned out great!

Queenheart3
06-26-2003, 02:13 AM
Thanks for all the hair coloring information. I saved it on my computer for future reference. Imy hair is some reddish brown color right now. I want to dye it back to its natural color because I hate having 2 different colors on my head. I have always colored my hair myself, but I am strongly considering going to a professional. I am not sure. Maybe I will try the feria first to see how it takes to my hair.

QueenHeart3 :pumpheart:

AFashionSlave
06-26-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Queenheart3@Jun 25 2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the hair coloring information. I saved it on my computer for future reference. Imy hair is some reddish brown color right now. I want to dye it back to its natural color because I hate having 2 different colors on my head. I have always colored my hair myself, but I am strongly considering going to a professional. I am not sure. Maybe I will try the feria first to see how it takes to my hair.

QueenHeart3 :pumpheart:
What is your natural hair color? If you are going darker you don&#39;t have to use Feria. Feria is a perm color. All you have to do is use a demi or semi color to go darker.

WorldsOfCurls
06-27-2003, 03:16 PM
UPDATE*** I finally did it. I used Clairol natural instints and i must say it did its job :) ...BUT... It also made me realize that I want to dye it with a permanent color. This gives me a nice tint of color but now I want to crank it up! :lol: I used color spiced tea which is like an auburn. I think I might use it again or I might just jump right into the perm color. My question is how long should I wait to do it again or do a perm color? Thanks in advance for all your help AFashionSlave and a special shout to you Tasha806 for putting me on to the natural instints.

lovelyone
06-27-2003, 04:03 PM
Hey fashion, thanks for all your advice. I am planning to color my hair but I am still a little shaky about it. Wished you were here in Dallas and may be I could get you to do it for me ;) (the hook up!) Anyway I have decided I am going to the salon and get it done. Are there any questions that I should ask the stylist? I do not won&#39;t to damage but beautiful healthy head of hair! My hair color is black (i call it puke black) and I would like a light red or auburn look(I think) If my skin has red undertones shouldn&#39;y I go with reds? :unsure:

AFashionSlave
06-27-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by WorldsOfCurls@Jun 27 2003, 10:16 AM
UPDATE*** I finally did it. I used Clairol natural instints and i must say it did its job :) ...BUT... It also made me realize that I want to dye it with a permanent color. This gives me a nice tint of color but now I want to crank it up! :lol: I used color spiced tea which is like an auburn. I think I might use it again or I might just jump right into the perm color. My question is how long should I wait to do it again or do a perm color? Thanks in advance for all your help AFashionSlave and a special shout to you Tasha806 for putting me on to the natural instints.
You should wait until all of your semi perm color has been shampooed out of your hair. That usually takes 4-6 weeks.

Once I waited 2 weeks after I used a semi color to apply perm color. I washed my hair with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner four times every time that I was in the shower. It removed the semi color but my hair was crispy and dried out. That is why I recommend that you wait at least 4-6 weeks.

If you attempt to use a perm color over your semi-perm color you may not get the results that you are looking for. Your hair will be harder to lift with semi or demi perm color on it.

Semi and demi color can be a little drying which is another reason why you should wait 4-6 weeks. You don&#39;t want to use perm color if your hair is still a little dry from semi or demi color.

AFashionSlave
06-27-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by lovelyone@Jun 27 2003, 11:03 AM
Hey fashion, thanks for all your advice. I am planning to color my hair but I am still a little shaky about it. Wished you were here in Dallas and may be I could get you to do it for me ;) (the hook up!) Anyway I have decided I am going to the salon and get it done. Are there any questions that I should ask the stylist? I do not won&#39;t to damage but beautiful healthy head of hair! My hair color is black (i call it puke black) and I would like a light red or auburn look(I think) If my skin has red undertones shouldn&#39;y I go with reds? :unsure:
I am so glad that you are going to get your hair colored professionally. That is the best way to go.

Make sure that you use a professional colorist or a professional with a lot of experience coloring hair. Just because someone has their cosmetology license does not make them a color expert. Ask to see pictures of their work. Talk to some of their customers. When they show you the color swatches you have to remember that is how the color looks on white hair or hair with no pigment. Make sure that they will give you a good conditioning treatment following your color.

Don&#39;t be afraid to use a white stylist if they are a color expert. I&#39;ve gotten my hair done professionally by a white guy. He gave me the best color job I have ever had in my life. I left the salon with a wet head and styled my hair at home.

Make sure that your colorist uses what I call "the towel technique" That is where they check your hair perodically during the coloring process to make sure that the color is correct. They take a tiny patch of your hair and towel dry off the color to make sure that the color process is going well.

Ask what brand of color they use? Wella is usually the brand of choice.

Know what you want before you sit in the chair. Do you want hi-lights? Do you want low-lights? Don&#39;t forget to bring a picture of the type of color that you want. Collect pictures of women with your skin tone & the color that you like before you come in. Permie & Weave pictures are OK too, after all you are only looking for color.

I think Thighslikewhat recently got her red hair professionally done at Aveda. You may want to ask her how her experience went.

You can go with any color that you want to as long as it looks good with your skintone. You have a lot of colors to choose from in every color family. If you want to go blonde, red, or brown there is a color that will look good with your skin tone.

:thumbsup: Good Luck I&#39;m sure that your hair will look great!

naps4sure
08-12-2003, 05:18 PM
Bumping this because it addresses my questions regarding rinses. Thanks so much for the info. I&#39;m going to purchase a temp rinse this weekend.

Tori
08-12-2003, 05:29 PM
I found Monicurl&#39;s web album helpful when I did my highlights.

Monicurl&#39;s Highlights (http://public.fotki.com/monicurl/naps_kinks_n_curves/hilite1.html)

NapfroPuff
09-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Hey, I&#39;m bringing this back up from the depths because I bought two boxes of Feria the other night and put them in my hair - Dark Amethyst (really beautiful color on the box). I was so excited, hoping that my dark, naturally jet black hair would take it...

...uh, no! It didn&#39;t even budge the color! :blink: :huh: No highlights, no low lights, no lights at all - just more jet black. The conditioner and depp conditioner I used did make my hair extra soft, though. And since it was the full moon - I trimmed my hair so it&#39;ll grow back full and healthy!

But the point is: What did I do wrong? Why didn&#39;t the color take in my hair? :unsure:

AFashionSlave: you been SO helpful with this, I thought I&#39;d ask you! Thanks for all your patience! :P

AFashionSlave
09-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by AFashionSlave@Jun 19 2003, 09:59 PM

If you have virgin hair your red hot red may not take the way you expect it to, but, I believe that you will at least end up with dark red color. I believe that box hair color is not as strong as effective as the stuff that professionals use. You will probably need to apply the red hot red in two all over applications (at least 4 to six weeks apart) to get results that are closer to the color on the box.

NapfroPuff,
You didn&#39;t do anything wrong!
I brought up something similar to this earlier in the topic. Natural virgin hair is very strong. The first time I ever colored my hair my color did not show up either. It took me two all over applications 4 weeks apart before I saw any color change.

Try coloring all over from roots to tips again in 4 to 6 weeks. This time leave the color on 10 minutes longer than the box instructions. This will give the color more time to deposit onto your hair. Don&#39;t be afraid - you shouldn&#39;t worry about loosing your napps. You have chosen a dark rich color. The darker colors are much safer than lighter ones. You have to remember that the color on the hair sample and on the box is color applied to un-colored or platinum blonde hair. The women on the feria boxes use a stronger developer or bleach on their hair so the color comes out like the hair sample. I know this first hand because I know the stylist who did the wardrobe for Feria a few years ago. He said that a lot of the girls had used hair color previously or had their hair lightened first before they applied the Feria colors.

If you have a lot of hair you should buy 2 boxes of color. Mix one bottle then apply. Mix the next bottle then apply. Shake up the color quickly then apply to your hair. You should not wait for the color in the bottle to change into the color that is on your hair. Remember the developer is strongest when you apply the color quickly to your hair. Do not mix both bottles at the same time! When you mix both bottles at once the second bottle of color will be less powerful than the first because it&#39;s just been sitting there developing in the bottle & not on your hair.

Don&#39;t forget to deep condition on a regular basis until you color the next time.

NapfroPuff
09-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Thanks, girl, I will try it again and let you know!

:P

lovida
09-16-2003, 07:38 PM
Has anyone ever used L&#39;Oreal&#39;s Open colors instead of Feria?

AFashionSlave
09-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by lovida@Sep 16 2003, 02:38 PM
Has anyone ever used L&#39;Oreal&#39;s Open colors instead of Feria?
I used Open color once a couple years ago. Open is a not as harsh as Feria color but it is permanent color. The colors are also very natural unlike Feria. If I recall correctly I think that you use Open on wet hair. Open is a great choice for someone who wants a natural looking color.
Here is the link:
Loreal Open (http://www.lorealparisusa.com/haircolor/products/open/index.asp)

lovida
09-16-2003, 08:29 PM
Aha!!! Sounds like Open is what I&#39;m looking for!!!
Thanks!

AFashionSlave
11-10-2003, 03:43 PM
bump

I bumped this thread because there have been a few questions on the board lately about hair color.

To At home colorist : If you have any information to add to this thread to help out those who want to color their hair please do so.

To people who want to color their hair : Please add your questions here and I&#39;m sure an at home colorist will help you.

AFashionSlave
11-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Tori@Aug 12 2003, 12:29 PM
I found Monicurl&#39;s web album helpful when I did my highlights.

Monicurl&#39;s Highlights (http://public.fotki.com/monicurl/naps_kinks_n_curves/hilite1.html)
Wow,
Monicurl has got me thinking about highlights.
I have never highlighted my own hair before.

Is there anyone here who highlights their hair at home?
Does anyone here have any additional highlighting tips?

cocoagirl
11-11-2003, 02:00 AM
AFashionSlave (or anybody that knows) Is it possible to get your hair highlighted (going from black to bronzy/red)without using peroxide?

LaMosa
11-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Im sure you have answered this already, but i want to make sure...My hair is currently jet black....Since i have been natural, i normally use a permenant jet black color. Im so tired of it now..i want something new. In your opinon, what is the safest way to go from jet black to any other color i.e ( brown, red, bronze)...I want to see a professional, but its soooo expensive,and im on a Tight budget. :blah I was thinking about using a lift and putting it on my hair for 5 mins or so just to lift the black a little. :-? I want my hair color to be a medium red, or bronze.. So i figured lifting it for a few mins should do the trick. I know you are not a pro, but a little advice would be nice... :thumbsup thanks

AFashionSlave
11-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by cocoagirl@Nov 10 2003, 10:00 PM
AFashionSlave (or anybody that knows) Is it possible to get your hair highlighted (going from black to bronzy/red)without using peroxide?
No you cannot go from black to bronze or red without using some sort of bleach or peroxide.

In order to go lighter in color you must lift or lighten your natural hair color in some form. You can lighten your natural hair color by using any permenant hair color that is lighter than your hair or you can lighten your hair with bleach before you deposit the chosen color.

cocoagirl
11-12-2003, 11:33 PM
thanks Fashion.

annnais
11-13-2003, 01:44 AM
I have a question. Great topic by the way and just in the nick of time. I am toying with the idea of coloring my hair. My hair is sisterlocked and has been locked for about three years. My hair color is jet black and I would like to have a purple undertone to my hair. Any suggestions about hair color?? I read through the entire thread so I don&#39;t think I need a permenant hair color but just wanted to see what brand or where to start. Thanks!

MzDacia
11-13-2003, 02:17 AM
You have summed it all up!!

As for me Miss Clairol is my girl!!

AFashionSlave
11-13-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by annnais@Nov 12 2003, 09:44 PM
I have a question. Great topic by the way and just in the nick of time. I am toying with the idea of coloring my hair. My hair is sisterlocked and has been locked for about three years. My hair color is jet black and I would like to have a purple undertone to my hair. Any suggestions about hair color?? I read through the entire thread so I don&#39;t think I need a permenant hair color but just wanted to see what brand or where to start. Thanks!
If you are only looking for a purple undertone it sounds like you are going darker in color. Chances are that you do not need to use a permanent hair color.

Try using (ammonia free & peroxide free) Adore or Jazzing. Adore and Jazzing both have beautiful shades of purple and blue. It has been my experience that Adore has a larger choice of vibrant colors but Jazzing is harder to shampoo out.

:rainfro If you are not satisfied with the color in the bottle you can mix different colors to your liking. It is perfectly safe to mix temporary color.

Here are pics of both so you know what to look for when you go to the beauty supply store:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/texasbeautysup...eatimadsem.html (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/texasbeautysupplycom/creatimadsem.html)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/texasbeautysup...airprofjaz.html (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/texasbeautysupplycom/clairprofjaz.html)

:thumbsup Good Luck!

babygurl
11-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by AFashionSlave@Nov 12 2003, 12:12 PM
No you cannot go from black to bronze or red without using some sort of bleach or peroxide.

This is so true....

I have colored my hair so muh it&#39;s crazy :rainfro ... But one thing I do (and this my not be the correct way) is that I add a booster to my hair color.. (only when going from a dark color to lighter).

But you have to remember
1. not to leave it on as long (you can look in the mirror and see the color changing).

2. DON NOT USE THE BOTTLE THAT COMES WITH THE COLOR. Purchase a large application/mixing bottle. When you add a booster, it adds more volume to the color, therefore it&#39;s too much to fit in the small bottle that comes pre-package with the color.

3. CONDITIONER!!! Try using the Honey & olive oil mixture afterward to enhance the color and to add mositure...

:thumbsup

AKAHLF
11-13-2003, 02:52 PM
I&#39;m coloring my hair this weekend. I bought a beautiful shade of brown made by Dark and Lovely (Sun-Kissed Brown). I am doing it at home and this is my first permanent-coloring effort. I really want to avoid the dryness that accompanies coloring hair. I&#39;m thinking about using a heating cap on my hair with a cholesterol conditioner. Anymore suggestions?

narcissaqtpie
11-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by babygurl+Nov 13 2003, 11:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (babygurl @ Nov 13 2003, 11:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AFashionSlave@Nov 12 2003, 12:12 PM

This is so true....

I have colored my hair so muh it&#39;s crazy :rainfro ... But one thing I do (and this my not be the correct way) is that I add a booster to my hair color.. (only when going from a dark color to lighter).

But you have to remember
1. not to leave it on as long (you can look in the mirror and see the color changing).

2. DON NOT USE THE BOTTLE THAT COMES WITH THE COLOR. Purchase a large application/mixing bottle. When you add a booster, it adds more volume to the color, therefore it&#39;s too much to fit in the small bottle that comes pre-package with the color.

3. CONDITIONER!!! Try using the Honey & olive oil mixture afterward to enhance the color and to add mositure...

:thumbsup [/b][/quote]
This is some good info! What is a "booster?"

babygurl
11-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by narcissaqtpie@Nov 13 2003, 10:59 AM
A booster Is a lightner...
I usually use Kaleidocolors Tonal Powder Lightener - Violet.
Use for highlighting and paint-on techniques (off the scalp). Can lighten up to four levels and is recommended for natural level 3, Medium Brown to level 8, Light Blonde.

HTH....

lovida
11-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Anybody used henna on your hair before? I&#39;m thinking of using it to just add some reddishness to my med/dark brown hair.
I&#39;ve heard it is really messy but that the henna works to condition your hair a bit.
any thoughts/comments/suggestions/warnings?
Thanks!

Shanna
11-14-2003, 04:31 PM
I&#39;m thinking of coloring my hair over the holidays, just a temporary or semi-permanent color in case I don&#39;t like it. My questions are: How damaging is this to the hair? Is this something I should be more cautious about having rather dry hair? Has anoyne had a problem with their natural hair texture or color changing or shifting after using a temporary or semi-permanent color? If the color doesn&#39;t take the first time, how soon should I wait to re-apply? And is Henna a better option than a regular coloring? What does Henna do exactly? And what is a rinse?

Patrina
11-14-2003, 04:58 PM
I posted this in a previous hair color thread started by MissRegalia. HTH someone...

When you are trying to darken you hair you are supposed to lighten it first and then use a filler (like a reddish color). You use a filler so that once you add the darker color you hair doesn&#39;t turn green. You can&#39;t go from a light color straight to a dark color without a filler.

When you are trying to lighten your hair, you should be able to just add the darker without much of a problem. Unless it is blonde then you should add a filler.

Your hair will NEVER come out like the hair swatch. Those swatches are literally white before they color them. So unless you hair is white before you color it, you will not get the exact color. Don&#39;t go by those little swatches because it won&#39;t work for your hair.

When coloring your hair you are really supposed to do the middle of the hair strands first and the ends and roots last (this might be a technique I remember from school). The ends and roots take color quicker than the middle of your hair. I know that is a lot to do but that is how color is supposed to go on. Unfortunately, I forgot this when I was coloring my hair but the results were still good.

I used Loreal Excellence Cremelights to do highlights not too long ago. They are subtle but I like them. The ends took quicker than the middle so I have like a frosted tip kinda thing going on. HTH

Peace and Napptural hair grease
Patrina

@ Shanna- A rinse is a temporary color that comes out after a few washes. They can come in interesting colors sometimes: purple, blue, red, etc. If you need to reapply, I suggest waiting 6+ weeks but others might disagree.

I may be a little rusty but this what I remember.

annnais
11-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Afashionslave! I will go to Sally&#39;s and check it out. I am not sure I am ready to make the plunge but we will see.

AFashionSlave
11-14-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by babygurl+Nov 14 2003, 11:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (babygurl @ Nov 14 2003, 11:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-narcissaqtpie@Nov 13 2003, 10:59 AM
A booster Is a lightner...
I usually use Kaleidocolors Tonal Powder Lightener - Violet.
Use for highlighting and paint-on techniques (off the scalp). Can lighten up to four levels and is recommended for natural level 3, Medium Brown to level 8, Light Blonde.

HTH.... [/b][/quote]
I always thought that bleach and boosters were not the same thing.

I thought that a booster was a chemical that was added to bleach to intensify the lifting action.

I&#39;ve even seen some boosters that contain protein to thicken the hair shaft and fill in the cuticle. By filling in the hair shaft some of these boosters create extra shine and more intense color.

AFashionSlave
11-14-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by lovida@Nov 14 2003, 11:37 AM
Anybody used henna on your hair before? I&#39;m thinking of using it to just add some reddishness to my med/dark brown hair.
I&#39;ve heard it is really messy but that the henna works to condition your hair a bit.
any thoughts/comments/suggestions/warnings?
Thanks!
Over on the other hair care site (longhaircareforum) there is a huge thread about henna. Use the search option and type in henna. I think the name of the thread is "Calling all hennapheliac ladies" or something like that. Look for a woman named HennaJoy. She is very knowledgeable.

HennaJoy has probably answered all of your questions on that thread.

Warning: That site is full of great info but there are a lot of permed sistas over there.

I feel bad telling you to go to another site with so many relaxed sistas but it is a really good thread about henna & hennalucent. That thread is at least 15 pages long.

I just went over there and bumped up the topic for you.

JustKei
11-14-2003, 06:02 PM
For my 3 month napptural anniversaryI wanted to do something special so I colored with a shimmering bronze color from Ferria. I got all excited and mixed it up and applied it to my hair, even touched up my brows too. My first surprise came after I saw my brows were darker than they were b4, I rinsed my hair and boy was I surprised to see no change :huh . One thing though is that it colored my gray patches nicely. I have used their highlights before and I abosolutely loved it on my relaxed hair. Anyway today I am sporting a very dark shimmering color. Question to the experts how long should I wait before trying again?

This is what I used....http://www.lorealparisusa.com/haircolor/products/feria-popupwin/img/brunette/058_pack.gif
Its afterwards I read the box and saw that it comes out darker or dark brown/black hair. I cant even blame them!!! I was too excited I didnt read enough.

Patrina
11-14-2003, 06:05 PM
I would wait maybe 6 weeks (like you would have for a perm). I think it allows any residue to come completely out and gives you a chance to condition. HTH

Peace and Napptural hair grease :rainfro
Patrina

AFashionSlave
11-15-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Shanna@Nov 14 2003, 12:31 PM
I&#39;m thinking of coloring my hair over the holidays, just a temporary or semi-permanent color in case I don&#39;t like it. My questions are: How damaging is this to the hair? Is this something I should be more cautious about having rather dry hair? Has anoyne had a problem with their natural hair texture or color changing or shifting after using a temporary or semi-permanent color? If the color doesn&#39;t take the first time, how soon should I wait to re-apply? And is Henna a better option than a regular coloring? What does Henna do exactly? And what is a rinse?
Shanna,

Save your money. Unless you want to go darker than your natural hair (for example: jet black or deep purple) a temporary or semi-perm color will not show up on your hair. If you decide to color make sure that you know what you are buying. I explained all of the box hair color terminology on the first post to this topic.

Coloring can be damaging to the hair if you abuse it. Permanent and semi-permanent color that contains ammonia will dry out your hair. You have to deep condition on a regular basis to combat the dryness.

No your hair texture will not change if you use temporary or semi-perm color. You hair may become dry after you use a semi-perm color that has ammonia in it. What do you mean by color shifting?

If you use a semi-perm color that is lighter than your natural color the color will never take on your hair. If you use a permanent box color and you don&#39;t get the results you want - You can re-apply the color again in 4 to 6 weeks. It all depends on the condition of your hair.

Henna maybe a better option instead of coloring. Henna can be acidic on the pH scale and loosen your hair texture over time. I do not know a lot about henna but I know that it coats the hair shaft and that it has natural conditioning properties. Check out the henna thread on the other board.

A rinse is temporary hair color.

AFashionSlave
11-15-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by sexykei@Nov 14 2003, 02:02 PM
For my 3 month napptural anniversaryI wanted to do something special so I colored with a shimmering bronze color from Ferria. I got all excited and mixed it up and applied it to my hair, even touched up my brows too. My first surprise came after I saw my brows were darker than they were b4, I rinsed my hair and boy was I surprised to see no change :huh . One thing though is that it colored my gray patches nicely. I have used their highlights before and I abosolutely loved it on my relaxed hair. Anyway today I am sporting a very dark shimmering color. Question to the experts how long should I wait before trying again?

This is what I used....http://www.lorealparisusa.com/haircolor/products/feria-popupwin/img/brunette/058_pack.gif
Its afterwards I read the box and saw that it comes out darker or dark brown/black hair. I cant even blame them!!! I was too excited I didnt read enough.
That Feria Shimmering Bronze is one of my favorite warm hair colors. I was that color earlier this year.

I agree that you should wait at least 4 to 6 weeks before you re-color all over. It all depends on how healthy your hair is.

The next time you color. Make sure that you saturate your hair in the color. Mix the bottle quickly and apply to your hair ASAP. Don&#39;t wait for the color to change in the bottle before you apply it to your hair.

Your brows probably came out darker than before because your brows are probably darker than the hair on your head. Almost everyone&#39;s brows are naturally 1 or 2 shades darker than the hair on top of your head. Let me know if you want to dye your brows again. I can walk you through the steps. Mac has a great self-sharpening brow pencil called "strut” It is a bronzy brown red color. It looks great with that copper bronze color you applied to your hair. It also looks great with reddish hair colors.

Good Luck on the second time around.

JustKei
11-16-2003, 02:17 AM

AFashionSlave
11-16-2003, 03:25 AM
Hey everybody,

My posts disappeared.
Does anybody know what happened to them?

antiguagirl
12-11-2003, 05:14 AM
Does anyone have information on henna hair coloring?

Lolly
12-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Thank you A Fashion Slave for the great information. I will stay away from the permanent colors since I am trying to become pregnant. But I am not digging the gray hairs that are coming in my hairline.

Has anyone tried the Revlon&#39;s beautiful colors series(for black hair)? You can get it from Sallys and it cost less than $4.00 and it is temporary color. I rather liked it.

Cami213
12-13-2003, 05:16 AM
What is the best Jazzling color to :-cre use?

REGEE
12-30-2003, 08:54 PM
I hope you&#39;re still watchin&#39; this thread.
I don&#39;t want to mess w/perm. color I&#39;m not for the committment!! Will I waste $$ w/a semi?? I purchased Loreal&#39;s Casting Color Spa fresh nutmeg-warm copper.
I don&#39;t think my hair is true black, just a dark brown.
thanks
REGEE

REGEE
12-30-2003, 09:12 PM
WOW THIS IS WEIRD!
My post didnt show up and I went to repost and here are a lot more posts that were not there b4!!!
So after reading these I think I know what your answer will be!!
But if you can read my post pls give me your advise.
thanks
REGEE