PDA

View Full Version : Why can't you call a black person ugly?

CatSuga
12-11-2004, 06:28 PM
There is a celeb (black female) that I think is ugly.
While watching tv I begin to express my awful opinion about this creature's uglyness. A white guy who I was sitting with said that he felt the same way, but would dare not say it because people might think that it would be a racist comment. :dunno:
Why is that? Is being black suppose to defend a ugly person from being ugly?

QueenLocks
12-11-2004, 11:35 PM
There are pretty and ugly people in every ethnic group in the world... but when someone just points out that "EVERYONE" in ONE Particular group is ugly, and "EVERYONE" in ONE Particular group is beautiful, then that IS racist.

prettynappy
12-12-2004, 02:07 AM
@AnaisKarim
You gave an excellent response!

marissasensei
12-12-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by AnaisKarim@Dec 11 2004, 11:11 AM

ETA: I also feel there are issues of insecurity at work if you even feel the need to sit up and call someone ugly and have a conversation about it. Everyone is ugly to someone and it's all just superficial BS anyway. There are much more important issues to discuss in this world than how someone else looks - especially if your comments are negative. :2cents:

ITA. Instead of wondering whether it's okay to call this person ugly, the more interesting issue to me is what is it that compels and motivates you to want to call anyone ugly?

Shanna
12-12-2004, 03:42 AM
I think it has more .... sensitivity among Blacks than other races. because ALL our 'traditional African features' have been defined as ugly. So when someone calls a dark-skinned person ugly, the back of your mind may be going "Is he saying this just because he thinks dark skinned people are ugly?" or "Is he saying this because he thinks broad noses are ugly?" What makes this person ugly becomes a question. Whereas saying Sarah Jessica Parker is ugly just doesn't have any racial undertones to it.

vinny_46
12-12-2004, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by CatSuga@Dec 11 2004, 10:28 AM
white guy who I was sitting with said that he felt the same way, but would dare not say it because people might think that it would be a racist comment. :dunno:

:lol: @ the thread title.

We all know that there are plenty of ugly people, and they come in all colors. ;) But I can definitely understand the stigma and possible backlash if someone of a different race, especially white, because of our history, calls a black person ugly. Maybe he is a little too cautious, I don't know.

IA with Shanna. :smil3f72836ee752e:

CatSuga
12-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by AnaisKarim@Dec 11 2004, 01:11 PM
If you think they are ugly because they have skin color, nose shape, lip shape etc that have traditionally been denegrated in this society then there are other issues at work besides just lack of preference for how they look.

Well it's not because of that. I'm darker than this person and my lips and nose are waaaay bigger.
They are just ugly. :dunno:

prettynappy
12-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by CatSuga@Dec 12 2004, 02:57 AM
Well it's not because of that. I'm darker than this person and my lips and nose are waaaay bigger.
They are just ugly. :dunno:

@CatSuga
If you are fat, you can lose weight. If your hair is short, you can let it grow out. If you are ugly, you can’t do anything about it. People are just trying to “make it” and work with what they have. You may be a pretty person, but then your kids can be dog ugly. You may want to stop judging people, after all you are not a judge in a beauty contest.

“She who calls one ugly is really ugly herself.”

jmnappy
12-13-2004, 05:00 PM
ITA with AnaisKarim.

Besides beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

lsubabiedee
12-14-2004, 01:38 PM
lol...ummm...i rarely call people ugly, and when i do its usually not even based on appearance

sounds like ur tv buddy was just being honest but was truly concerned about how his comments would be taken...but thats what happens when people of a certain race/ethnicity are told when they are ugly just b/c of what they are....

and yeah...beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

it has to be...b/c i&#39;ve actually been called ugly before <_<

NappyMica
12-14-2004, 02:59 PM
I would never disrespect anyone in my race around someone of another.

Button2004
12-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Random thought/question...if beauty is in the eye of the beholder...is ugly there as well?

Deljah
12-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Insecurity or just an observation?

feepee
12-17-2004, 04:26 PM
daaaaanng!! don&#39;t nobody call other folks ugly in here???

well i personally prefer not to use the term "ugly" i TRY to say that person is not attractive to me or that person ain&#39;t cute to me... but errr now and then.. i gotta call somebody UGLY. sometimes there is just no other word to describe &#39;em.

as far as race, well there are some ugly black folks IMO. some ugly white folks, i&#39;ve seen ugly asians too....

i&#39;m not gunna lie and say i think everybody looks good. i&#39;ve called myself ugly at one point or another. but hey, i ain&#39;t gotta be with the person... they can be ugly. i know i&#39;m ugly to plenty of folks.

Trula
12-17-2004, 06:57 PM
The race aspect of African American aesthetics bothers me...I don&#39;t think I ever heard anyone black who was light-skinned and/or had white features called ugly, no matter if they were attractive or not. The only black people I consistently heard and continue to hear other black people call ugly are dark skinned black people, specifically those with classic black features i.e plump lips, wide noses, brown eyes.

I was watching that show Kevin Hill the other night, and I wondered why we rarely see women who are as dark as the actor who portrays him on tv/in movies...and the women picked to play the love interest of most of these dark skinned brothers on tv/movies are usually very very light, like the woman who is his current girlfriend.

And white people have their own severe color-struck issues. They practically froth at the mouth if they have a blond and blue-eyed baby...many of their babies are born with blue or light grey eyes that evenutally turn hazel or brown. I have seen some white people act as ignorant worrying if their baby&#39;s eyes are going to turn brown as I have seen black people act ignorant worrying if their baby&#39;s hair is going to turn nappy. It&#39;s a trip. My point is a part of anyone&#39;s subjective idea of beauty is shaped by the times and culture they live in. America has a color caste system, no doubt about it, and I feel it affects what we think of in terms of beautiful/ugly.

Personally I like my dark skin, big lips, brown eyes, and wide nose; I think I am too cute. :) And I look even cuter when I am darker, I lay out in the sun and get toasted up. I like the way black people look, so I rarely see black people that I would call &#39;ugly&#39;. When I do, it&#39;s usually not even their features that leaves the ugly impression, it&#39;s how they act or carry themselves. Did anyone read &#39;The Bluest Eye&#39; by Toni Morrison? You know the way she descibes the ugliness of the Breedlove family, that&#39;s what I mean.

Cia
12-18-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by CatSuga@Dec 11 2004, 01:28 PM

Ugly is relative, an opinion. Everyone has an opinion and are free to express it. However, be prepaired for repercussions. It&#39;s that simple.

You (in general) can say what you want to say, this is a free country. Just know that people are going to say what they want to say too.

I agree with AnaisKarim.....No matter what race, creed or religion you are, I always question the thought process of a person who deem it necessary to speak negatively about anther person.

QueenLocks
12-18-2004, 07:30 AM
@ Trula: See the Pretty sisters on this page. No famous, rich sisters, just everyday sisters:
http://sisterlocks.com/PhotoGallery.html

I feel ya about the Light skin {Euro Features}......

Trula
12-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Oooh Queenli, thanks for the link! Those women are beautiful, just gorgeous. :)

LadyCaramel
12-18-2004, 09:43 AM
I think sarah Jessica Parker is horrid looking just thought I&#39;d share that. :bolt: :2cents:

QueenLocks
12-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by LadyCaramel@Dec 18 2004, 05:43 AM
I think sarah Jessica Parker is horrid looking just thought I&#39;d share that. :bolt: :2cents:

:shocker: Try Uma Thurman! {Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill}

Shanna
12-21-2004, 03:47 AM
:pointlaugh: yeah, white women can look like munchkins before they&#39;re considered "ugly". :icon_headshake:

chartu
12-21-2004, 06:18 AM
Okay, now that we&#39;ve established that there are ugly white women, allow me to return to the subject at hand :P

When I was a child, I was quite ugly for reasons that had nothing to do with my blackness. In fact, you all will have to excuse my bragging :D , but one of the main issues with my face had to do with a trait I understand to be more common with white people.

You see, I&#39;m hairy, and from what I&#39;ve heard white people tend to be hairier than black people (guess I just got lucky there <_< ). Anyway, before I finally figured out how to handle a pair of tweezers, I had a couple of unkempt, scruffy caterpillars greeting each other above my eyes.

Combine the above with crooked teeth and a larger than average nose (compared to the other mostly black children with whom I went to elementary school), and--in my case--you have one unfortunate looking kid.

QueenLocks
12-22-2004, 05:13 AM
After I turned age 10, I was getting called ugly. I started to develop bad skin. a year later, I&#39;m wearing glasses {Big, like Erkel in "Family Matters"} I&#39;m taller then everyone else in my class and skinny! {AND I was at a private, predom. wt. sch.} When I left there two yrs. later to public {Blk.} school, my acne got worse! The teasing became worse.
But, I don&#39;t care what anyone thinks now!

tsaraya29
12-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Trula@Dec 17 2004, 12:57 PM
The race aspect of African American aesthetics bothers me...I don&#39;t think I ever heard anyone black who was light-skinned and/or had white features called ugly, no matter if they were attractive or not. The only black people I consistently heard and continue to hear other black people call ugly are dark skinned black people, specifically those with classic black features i.e plump lips, wide noses, brown eyes.
:smil3f72836ee752e: :smil3f72836ee752e:

I was watching that show Kevin Hill the other night, and I wondered why we rarely see women who are as dark as the actor who portrays him on tv/in movies...and the women picked to play the love interest of most of these dark skinned brothers on tv/movies are usually very very light, like the woman who is his current girlfriend.

You are sooooo reading my mind. I&#39;ve noticed that too! Commercials, tv, magazines. Generally when you see a black couple the woman is very light almost mixed looking.

Just too add to the list of *not-so-attractive* white women, what&#39;s the deal with Britney Spears??? She is not that great looking to me ( for all the attention she gets)

QueenLocks
12-23-2004, 02:43 AM
Most dark brothers I know, like lighter skinned sisters. However, the same goes for darker skinned sisters who date lighter skinned brothers! But I know what you&#39;re saying, You never see it the second way I just mentioned, on TV. However, I&#39;ve seen it in my family, at work, at the mall, and other places where I see black couples. I have an interesting book called
"The Color Complex" {by 3 authors, 4 got the names} It is a GREAT and Interesting Read!

One part from the book: some bro. are with a lighter skinned sister simply because they like her for who she is, not because of her skin tone....

LuvJones
12-26-2004, 02:34 AM
I always ask myself when I find someone unattractive if it&#39;s societies brainwashing or is it JMO?

I think there are certain features I find more attractive...long and/or wide noses, fuller lips, protruding ears...check out Mike in my sig! :wub:

There are some darker people I find unattractive and lighter ones too. I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve bought into societies norm of beauty. I have my own norm!

LJ

morena23
12-26-2004, 09:54 PM
I don&#39;t care what color they are. If they are unattractive to me, and someone asks my opinion, I&#39;m going to say it. Who cares if the person is white and a white person is around. Just because we have an opinion of someone doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s the gospel.

There are quite a few black people who are ugly to me.

Melanizm
12-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by AnaisKarim@Dec 11 2004, 07:11 PM
ETA: I also feel there are issues of insecurity at work if you even feel the need to sit up and call someone ugly and have a conversation about it. Everyone is ugly to someone and it&#39;s all just superficial BS anyway. There are much more important issues to discuss in this world than how someone else looks - especially if your comments are negative. :2cents:

:smil3f72836ee752e: I always find it amusing when people have nothing else to do but comment on how someone else looks...especially when they don&#39;t know the person. It&#39;s all projection, IMO. Generally when you don&#39;t feel so good about yourself it makes you feel better to down someone else. ITA that most of the times it&#39;s an issue of insecurity or even masked envy. If you (in general) get satisfaction out of calling someone else ugly, then you should really check yourself and find out why that is.

As for the original question, he can say whatever he wants but there is a history there so he should be ready to deal with any backlash that may come. When it comes to race and what&#39;s considered beautiful, there&#39;s a thin line between preference and conditioning.

*SupaSista*
12-28-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Queenli19@Dec 18 2004, 01:44 PM
:shocker: * Try Uma Thurman! {Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill}

I think sarah Jessica Parker is horrid looking just thought I&#39;d share that.

funny... i think both of those women are beautiful!

opinions are like a$$holes...everybody has one and they usually STANK!

Annlucilu
05-17-2005, 07:25 AM
This is an old thread but I&#39;m bumping it because I found it to be very interesting. To those who haven&#39;t seen this yet, what are your thoughts?

:pop:

Urbanite
05-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Annlucilu@May 17 2005, 01:25 AM
This is an old thread but I&#39;m bumping it because I found it to be very interesting. To those who haven&#39;t seen this yet, what are your thoughts?

lol, I just read this whole thing and realized it was an old thread!

I think Catsuga&#39;s friend was just voicing his thoughts. I am curious as to WHY he felt that way...was it personal experience? Or just an assumption?

Some of my white friends have often stated that they feel they have to be careful that comments they make are not interpreted as racist. This just goes to show that racism is harmful to EVERYONE involved, as even whites who are not racist have to walk on eggshells because of those who are.

uzuri
05-17-2005, 12:02 PM
I have along the way realized that society in general see as unaattractive people who have the least "European" features...We have been so brainwashed, that beauty to many people, is the closer one is to looking White...Very sad, but very true...The darker you are, the nappier you are, the broader you are, the broader your nose is.....All these is undesirable to many people especially in the "westernized" countries... ;) :2cents:

berryblack
05-17-2005, 12:11 PM
It seems like this question has already run its course. Every possible opinion has been stated already and I cannot add anything new or different. I will just say that I think you are all right but more importantly, I wish that this was not even an issue (calling people ugly or not) and it would be nice to not continue making "ugly" or "ugliness" an issue.

Dolliesdaughter
05-17-2005, 01:45 PM
When I think of ugliness it is not in terms of attractive or unattractiveness. It is in term of a person&#39;s disposition and attitude.

LBellatrix
05-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Because I know what it&#39;s like to be called ugly, I never use that word to describe anybody, even if I don&#39;t think they&#39;re attractive. Instead I&#39;ll usually say, "So-and-so just doesn&#39;t do it for me."

For example, even though I&#39;m a HUGE SATC fan (I have all but Season 6 on DVD), Sarah Jessica Parker just doesn&#39;t do it for me. I do not understand why (some) guys think she&#39;s hot.

jamaicangurl
05-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by marissasensei+Dec 12 2004, 03:34 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-AnaisKarim@Dec 11 2004, 11:11 AM

ETA: I also feel there are issues of insecurity at work if you even feel the need to sit up and call someone ugly and have a conversation about it. Everyone is ugly to someone and it&#39;s all just superficial BS anyway. There are much more important issues to discuss in this world than how someone else looks - especially if your comments are negative. :2cents:

ITA. Instead of wondering whether it&#39;s okay to call this person ugly, the more interesting issue to me is what is it that compels and motivates you to want to call anyone ugly?

[/b]

Thank you. In addition, whites shouldnt be calling anybody ugly since they done messed up :blush: . I admit, inwardly, I may think someone is not the world&#39;s stereotypical version of pretty/handsome, but I try very hard not to think that way. Besides I have noticed that very person who I might think is "ugly" has some beautiful quality, whether on the inside or outside. Like nice toes, nice lashes, teeth, etc or a great personality

caraqueen
05-18-2005, 01:11 AM
Well...... this thread reminds me of being called ugly as a kid and still having some people refer to me as ugly as an adult. I am sure that I may be unattractive to somebody. But I am satisfied with my looks. Besides looks fade, stoopid can last forever :D

ETA: Sometimes I think it is suspect as to someone&#39;s motivations for calling someone within earshot ugly...I have seen girls who call other women ugly so that the other woman will hear them or make fun of a woman&#39;s looks excessively that they do not even know, and they do it so that the other woman can hear or see them. Now that is ugly to me. :icon_headshake:

In reference to the topic that was posed.... I think that if the black person being referred to as "ugly" has Afrotypical features then the motivations for calling them ugly can be suspect. Is it because they look too African for the person making the statement? or simply because they are unattractive to the person ? With the kind of society we live in that glorifies European features over African it is hard to tell.

luvbeinatural
05-18-2005, 01:32 AM
I remember as a kid wanting to be light like the other girls (yellahammer-the guys called them) because that is what society thought was the description of a beautiful woman. But know that I am older I can see true beauty in people and culture. Its ashame that we have been programmed to think that we are an ugly people, but yet other cultures try their best to be like us and in our image. Yet we try so hard to try not to be in our image.

Chlyric Images
05-18-2005, 01:40 AM
U know why Catsuga.

Why u asking?

It&#39;s the same reason why there&#39;s no WET, White Entertainment Television. Same reason why there&#39;s no WBCU and so on and so forth.

Previous bull u know what won&#39;t allow.

Maybe one day, but far as I&#39;m concerned u really never know what twisted avenue white folks can go down. So I think discretion should be used. They owe it to us.

YoGirlToo
05-18-2005, 03:33 PM
i use the word ugly all the time
sometimes because the way people act
sometimes on how they look
sometimes on myself--- that&#39;s when i buy more makeup

YoGirlToo
05-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Trula@Dec 17 2004, 01:57 PM

And white people have their own severe color-struck issues. They practically froth at the mouth if they have a blond and blue-eyed baby...many of their babies are born with blue or light grey eyes that evenutally turn hazel or brown. I have seen some white people act as ignorant worrying if their baby&#39;s eyes are going to turn brown as I have seen black people act ignorant worrying if their baby&#39;s hair is going to turn nappy. It&#39;s a trip. My point is a part of anyone&#39;s subjective idea of beauty is shaped by the times and culture they live in. America has a color caste system, no doubt about it, and I feel it affects what we think of in terms of beautiful/ugly.

Personally I like my dark skin, big lips, brown eyes, and wide nose; I think I am too cute. :) And I look even cuter when I am darker, I lay out in the sun and get toasted up. I like the way black people look, so I rarely see black people that I would call &#39;ugly&#39;. When I do, it&#39;s usually not even their features that leaves the ugly impression, it&#39;s how they act or carry themselves. Did anyone read &#39;The Bluest Eye&#39; by Toni Morrison? You know the way she descibes the ugliness of the Breedlove family, that&#39;s what I mean.

i live in the south - its true
ugly comes in red yellow brown high tone and dark tone\
so called good hair don&#39;t mean cute face-even tho alot of people i know think so

morena23
05-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey, I don&#39;t care what color you are, what your nose shape is, how your hair is how full or small your mouth is, if I think you are ugly, I&#39;m bout to say it. Why not? I&#39;m not about to be made to feel bad because of my opinion.

I can name a TON of Black people who I think are FUGLY.... but NP only has so much bandwidth.

jamaicangurl
05-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by YoGirlToo+May 18 2005, 02:36 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Trula@Dec 17 2004, 01:57 PM

so called good hair don&#39;t mean cute face-even tho alot of people i know think so

[/b]

And while you are naming your list, you can bet your azz you are on somebodys&#39; else&#39;s list..so when u point that finger, just remember, somebody out there thinks your black azz is just as FUGLY as can be.

Saundus
05-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Melanizm+Dec 27 2004, 08:07 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-AnaisKarim@Dec 11 2004, 07:11 PM

:smil3f72836ee752e: I always find it amusing when people have nothing else to do but comment on how someone else looks...especially when they don&#39;t know the person. It&#39;s all projection, IMO. Generally when you don&#39;t feel so good about yourself it makes you feel better to down someone else. ITA that most of the times it&#39;s an issue of insecurity or even masked envy. If you (in general) get satisfaction out of calling someone else ugly, then you should really check yourself and find out why that is.

[/b]

YES YES YES!!

Yolanda35
05-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by AnaisKarim@Dec 11 2004, 02:11 PM
It depends on why you think the person is ugly. If you think they are ugly because they have skin color, nose shape, lip shape etc that have traditionally been denegrated in this society then there are other issues at work besides just lack of preference for how they look. It goes much deeper into WHY you think that particular phenotype is unattractive given the history of the US. In that case, yes it would be racist.

And for the sake of the little ones, lets remember, "if you don&#39;t have nothing nice to say, do not say anything at all." Negativity should be kept secret... :D

morena23
05-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by jamaicangurl@May 18 2005, 10:29 AM

And while you are naming your list, you can bet your azz you are on somebodys&#39; else&#39;s list..so when u point that finger, just remember, somebody out there thinks your black azz is just as FUGLY as can be.

Which is fine because at the end of the day, I know I&#39;m beautiful, and whoever I think is ugly should know that they are beautiful too (to themselves, not to me ^_^ ).

Someone calling someone ugly is an opinion, not a fact, so whatever I find unappealing to my eye might be the best thing in the world to the next person.

natural-forever
05-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by CatSuga@Dec 11 2004, 06:28 PM
There is a celeb (black female) that I think is ugly.
While watching tv I begin to express my awful opinion about this creature&#39;s uglyness. A white guy who I was sitting with said that he felt the same way, but would dare not say it because people might think that it would be a racist comment. :dunno:

I am appalled at the words you used to describe this person. "..I begin to express my awful opinion about this creature&#39;s uglyness." :icon_headshake: You called a human being a "creature" which is saying that you don&#39;t even respect this person enough to refer to them as a person. catsuga I saw your album and according to a lot of people, especially White people, you would be considered an "ugly creature" because you are obese and bald-headed. Why would you want to say something so hateful about another person? I guess it would be ok to call someone a stupid a.s.s.h.o.l.e if they have a learning disability or human garbage if they have cerebral palsy. Please ladies let&#39;s not get ugly, let&#39;s us spread love and not disrespect. :icon_heartpump:

Shanna
05-18-2005, 10:12 PM
:shocker:

this thread is getting out there!!! And MY posts are supposedly bad enough to make folks put ME on ignore... :pop:

jamaicangurl
05-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by morena23@May 18 2005, 02:52 PM
Hey, I don&#39;t care what color you are, what your nose shape is, how your hair is how full or small your mouth is, if I think you are ugly, I&#39;m bout to say it. Why not? I&#39;m not about to be made to feel bad because of my opinion.

I can name a TON of Black people who I think are FUGLY.... but NP only has so much bandwidth.

***This was meant for Morena, not the person I mistakenly quoted. (I think it was Yogogirl?

afromation
05-18-2005, 11:10 PM
:doh

This thread should&#39;ve stayed buried. :icon_headshake:

YoGirlToo
05-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by jamaicangurl+May 18 2005, 01:29 PM-->

Originally posted by YoGirlToo@May 18 2005, 02:36 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Trula@Dec 17 2004, 01:57 PM

[/b]
i know it is-
i got thick skin- every has the capability to be ugly- no body looks good everyday

sometimes people say- girl get it together you sure look ugly
and i say thank your for warning me

sometimes i look in the mirror and say
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH- now i look pretty ugly
i don&#39;t know how i stand myself
i just want to puke from my ugliness
sometimes i look at myself and say- what a joke!!!

but i know how to make myself look better
(thanks to blush and eyeshadow)

hey i got a sense of humor
i dish it -but i can take it
me and my crew off this board - in the real world \
we&#39;re honest with each other
if one of look ugly
we say girl take that off
that is ugly
i am not going any where with u looking like that

child that outfit is ugly
girl your hair now that&#39;s ugly
and we laugh
and we go change
then we get cute
if someone calls me ugly
i say- your mama
they say your daddy
then we laugh

i keep it casual-its not that deep
not with my circle of friends/family

Chlyric Images
05-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by YoGirlToo@May 18 2005, 06:33 AM

Oh NO! @ more makeup! Your beautiful without it! **grabs compact and runs**

Chlyric Images
05-19-2005, 01:19 AM
**holds mouth @ obese and bald headed**

Ya&#39;ll are wild these last few days.

morena23
05-19-2005, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by jamaicangurl@May 18 2005, 01:28 PM

***This was meant for Morena, not the person I mistakenly quoted. (I think it was Yogogirl?

OOOH, spoken like someone who might have been hit with the ugly stick herself..... :rolleyes:

I could personally care less what people think about me - I&#39;m positive that there could be a few people who don&#39;t find me pleasing to the eye, but ask me if I care - - - - go ahead and ask.

Once again, it is my business who I think is ugly. There aren&#39;t too many Black people that I think are ugly, but I&#39;m a little biased... However, there ain&#39;t nothing wrong with stating your opinion.

Sunchild
05-19-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by natural-forever@May 18 2005, 05:05 PM
catsuga I saw your album and according to a lot of people, especially White people, you would be considered an "ugly creature" because you are obese and bald-headed.

:o

CaramelMa
05-19-2005, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by afrikankween+May 18 2005, 08:27 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-natural-forever@May 18 2005, 05:05 PM
catsuga I saw your album and according to a lot of people, especially White people, you would be considered an "ugly creature" because you are obese and bald-headed.

[/b]

ITA :unsure:

Chlyric Images
05-19-2005, 01:42 AM
I thought it was why can&#39;t white folks say black folk is ugly. It&#39;s turned into why can&#39;t anyone say anyone is ugly.

Now everybody suddenly obese and bald and fugly!?

Man we lost the topic!

sunschild57
05-19-2005, 01:49 AM
:bolt:

Jazitones
05-19-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by CaramelMa+May 18 2005, 08:39 PM-->

Originally posted by afrikankween@May 18 2005, 08:27 PM

[/b]

Come on now that was not nice. :shocker:

morena23
05-19-2005, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Jazitones+May 18 2005, 04:51 PM-->

Originally posted by CaramelMa@May 18 2005, 08:39 PM

[/b]

Not only was it not nice, it wasn&#39;t true.

natural-forever
05-19-2005, 02:06 AM
I don&#39;t think catsuga is ugly. Rather I was bringing to her attention how hateful and full of contempt her statement was about that person she mentioned and how it can hurt when the tables are turned and your head is put on the chopping block.
I begin to express my awful opinion about this creature&#39;s ugliness. Noticed that she dehumanized this person by referring to them as creature and not person. I think that is very ugly.

shuger
05-19-2005, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Jazitones+May 18 2005, 07:51 PM-->

Originally posted by CaramelMa@May 18 2005, 08:39 PM

[/b]

ITA. That&#39;s totaly disrespectful and vile. :puke2:

Whitley Gilbert
05-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Where is my screwdriver so that I can close this thread?

afromation
05-19-2005, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by natural-forever@May 18 2005, 09:06 PM
I don&#39;t think catsuga is ugly. Rather I was bringing to her attention how hateful and full of contempt her statement was about that person she mentioned and how it can hurt when the tables are turned and your head is put on the chopping block.
I begin to express my awful opinion about this creature&#39;s ugliness. Noticed that she dehumanized this person by referring to them as creature and not person. I think that is very ugly.

I figured that&#39;s where you were going with your post but it still stung. Then again Cat&#39;s did too.

Annlucilu
05-19-2005, 02:14 AM
:icon_twak: Why did I bring this thread back? Why? Why?... :icon_twak:

YoGirlToo
05-19-2005, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Chlyric Images+May 18 2005, 07:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-YoGirlToo@May 18 2005, 06:33 AM

Oh NO! @ more makeup! Your beautiful without it! **grabs compact and runs**

[/b]
no i&#39;m not- now give me back that compact :pointlaugh: :pointlaugh: :lol: :lol:

this thread needs some comic relief

Chlyricimages
05-19-2005, 05:18 AM
Both are just as saucy, I don&#39;t think one is more offensive than the other. So I guess it&#39;s just the truth. Which is interesting.

Chlyricimages
05-19-2005, 05:19 AM
OKay here&#39;s what sort of makes this a little off the mark,

Catsuga is a friend of ya&#39;lls, and so yeah when she says someone is a an ugly creature, u guys are like yeah whatever.

But when someone says, that many people will think you are a creature because you are obese and baldheaded you guys are like wow, now that is harsh.

Which I understand, u think, well you can&#39;t talk about my friend that way. But at the same time, saying someone is overweight and bald, how is that different then them being ugly creatures?Why not let them cancel each other out. IF Catsuga is comfortable living in a world where people can freely express who they think is ugly or not, then that&#39;s her choice and probably isn&#39;t bothered by natural&#39;s remark.

At the same time, we can&#39;t be suprised when someone points out her weight and scalp. U have tochoose one or the other. :dunno:

I think skinny folk with big heads look like ostriches, and many mixed people (including myself) look like wet mice and so on and so forth. It&#39;s perception, and u can&#39;t dismiss one offense for the next because of favortism.

Shanna
05-19-2005, 05:43 AM
*whistles*

http://images9.fotki.com/v179/photos/1/109554/458794/expo2004-vi.jpg

Moderator W
05-19-2005, 05:45 AM
Maybe folks will think twice before they start threads calling others ugly next time.