PDA

View Full Version : Product junky challenge

gilroygal
12-12-2004, 02:28 AM
A few of you may know me as a person who hops on the bandwagon of products only to hate them later. So, I gave myself a personal challenge, and then I decided to see what others are doing. Right now I have:

1/3 of a bottle of Neutrogena Triple moisture daily deep condish
2 bottles of DDTA condish
2/3 bottle of Neutrogena Triple moisture shampoo
8 oz jar of my MA/SK mixture

After I use all of my NTM condish I plan to stick with the DDTA.
I also plan to stick with the NTM shampoo, and use the Ahsa's mixture as my sole source of moisture.
Anyone else resolving, or WILLING to resolve to use a certain amount of products or AT LEAST not buy any new ones until running out of what you have??
My last purchase was two bottles of DDTA on December 10, 2004.

Niya
12-12-2004, 02:37 AM
im currently trying to get down to 5 or less products
one pre-poo, shampoo, deep conditioner, leave in

as of now
Pre-Poo - lustrasilk aloe
Shampoo - Mizani neutralizing
deep Conditioner - suave 2 minute
leave in - profectiv breakfree

unfortunately, im trying to replace 1 of these
after that, nothing new *promises self*

no new products for 2005

Melanizm
12-12-2004, 05:17 AM
it's funny that you started this because i started this a week and ahlf ago i think. im down to a pre-shampoo treatment, shampoo, ACV. deep conditioner, and coconut oil. It's been great for my hair too.

I won't be buying anything new the rest of the year or in 2005. I'll only replace the old when I run out.

mom_is_queen
12-12-2004, 05:46 AM
Count me in..........I'm gonna try my hardest not to buy anything new til I use up what I have. I :dunno: what happened......but it's so easy to become a PJ. What I need to do is get a real routine and stick to it!

rica7878
12-12-2004, 01:03 PM
I'm in on this one :) Since trying out the Aubrey Organics line...I have no need to product hop! The only new thing I am looking to try is Oyin's Whipped Pudding and her Shine +Define...after that...I won't be trying another thing...no new poducts in 05!

gilroygal
12-12-2004, 07:20 PM
It's funny how we say that after X,Y,Z, we will stop. I have said that too many times to count. It's not neccessarily a bad thing to try NEW things, but I think it becomes a crutch. For instance, I usually purchase things out of boredom. I could easily try a new style, but OH NO, I'll be back in the product aisle looking and browsing, or I'll read a thread and there I go!! I would like to get a few basics based on what my hair NEEDS (detangling, moisture, softness, lubrication) rather than miracle claims of softness, or what have you.
So, I washed just a few minutes ago, detangled (easily) with my DDTA, and moisturized with my Asha's mixture. MY hair survived!!

naturalnyc
12-12-2004, 10:58 PM
count me in. besides i have enough products already at home to last me 2-3 yrs.

darcellee
12-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by mom_is_queen@Dec 12 2004, 12:46 AM
Count me in..........I'm gonna try my hardest not to buy anything new til I use up what I have. I :dunno: what happened......but it's so easy to become a PJ. What I need to do is get a real routine and stick to it!

I'm with you mom_is_queen. Your comment exactly. Yep I'm in because my pocket needs me to be in and I need a solid routine. I will only replace the products that are working for me.

nat_girl
12-13-2004, 05:09 AM
I can't believe I just wrote this whole list of products that I use and then when I hit Add Reply I got an error page. OH WELL. Anyway, I have a lot of products to last me a couple of years also, NaturalNYC. I'm not going to buy anything until I use all of these things. SO in the mean time, I'm mixing and matching different products together.

italdumpling
12-13-2004, 02:45 PM
Count me in.. No new products in 2005. My closet is overflowing.

gilroygal
12-17-2004, 11:55 AM
I almost broke down and got a new bottle of shampoo (Daily Defense) when I already have several bottles of Suave shampoo, as well as a bottle of Nature's Gate shampoo. I had started using Triple Moisture, but now that I am back to using my oil based product, that doesn't cleanse well enough. So I pulled out the Suave, but I still didn't buy anything new, which is the key to this. After I use all that I have (which will take several months) I will buy only what I NEED. I know for a fact that DDTA condish is here to stay, and I will probably stick with Asha's (it lasts forever) and use a cheap shampoo. They all pretty much work the same for me.

ajargon
12-21-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by gilroygal@Dec 12 2004, 01:20 PM
It's funny how we say that after X,Y,Z, we will stop. I have said that too many times to count. It's not neccessarily a bad thing to try NEW things, but I think it becomes a crutch. For instance, I usually purchase things out of boredom. I could easily try a new style, but OH NO, I'll be back in the product aisle looking and browsing, or I'll read a thread and there I go!! I would like to get a few basics based on what my hair NEEDS (detangling, moisture, softness, lubrication) rather than miracle claims of softness, or what have you.
So, I washed just a few minutes ago, detangled (easily) with my DDTA, and moisturized with my Asha's mixture. MY hair survived!!

Count me in on this one too! I need to give away/sell some of the stuff that I have! This collection is OBSCENE! :dunno: :icon_headshake:

gilroygal
12-22-2004, 01:16 AM
I have aLOT more products than I mentioned. I am experimenting with what I have, but NOT buying anything new.
At one point I had bought TEN bottles of Suave Milk and Honey, and almost as many of the matching shampoo. I ALSO have a LOT of things that I have slid over to the "my daughter's/sons hair collection, because they just DON't work for me. I am hoping that I will get to the point where I don't go to the hair aisle unless it is a NEED TO thing.

librarising
12-22-2004, 01:43 AM
I knew it would come to this for you G :D

I started this challenge last month, and have been buying on an as needed basis since then. I also have to forgo my beloved Greg Juice leave-in. As much as I want to support Oyin Handmade and use the stuff, I can't keep paying $9 a bottle plus shipping. I'll be making my own leave-in from scratch for awhile. I still have plenty of Pookeylou bars, Suave conditioner, and random products to twist with. After I buy a deep conditioner (taking the opportunity to try the EQP Moisture DC since my Neutrogen Triple Moisture Mask ran out), I'm not buying anything else until May (except for replenishing my EQP Mango Butter. Can't do without that).

freelocks
12-22-2004, 11:07 AM
I will join this no more product buying challenge. I have a lot of products that are waiting to be used. I recently used my $25 gift certificate and bought stuff from CD ( mostly skin care things), I just got my MA and SK from Ashas, I recently ordered two things from Oyin and a few weeks back Waldbaum's had Suave conditioners for 64 cents and I bought at least 5 bottles. So, I do not need anything for a while. My mom asked me recently, "How many things can you use in your hair at once? I told her that I don't use them all at once but it is nice to have variety. My obsession with my hair is not an expensive one compared to what other things women buy constantly for themselves.

Lottacoils
12-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Count me in too. I actually started this about a month or two ago after I experienced some after-baby shedding with my second child (this happened with both kids -- hairline shedding at 3-4 months and major shedding at one year -- talk about frustrating). I changed my routine and have been sticking with it. There are about six products I use (shampoo, conditioner, clarifying shampoo, leave in conditioner, deep conditioner and light pomade. I may also use a little gel as desired). I have to change up shampoos to combat buildup, and the leave-in works great with the clarifier. So far, so good -- softer hair that's growing back in!

gilroygal
12-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Hang in there fellow nappturals. If you get bored you can always mix and match and create new products. I just formulated a leave in with some of the products that I have on hand. Once I use up all that I have I will probably continue making my leave in, but then I will be able to purchase some eos to go in it. Can't do that right now, though.

temfash
12-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by naturalnyc@Dec 12 2004, 10:58 PM
count me in. besides i have enough products already at home to last me 2-3 yrs.

Count me in no more new products in 2005 and beyond till I finish what I've got. :afro: